• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Occupy Wall St - Occupy Everywhere, Occupy Together!

Status
Not open for further replies.

markot

Banned
Protesting isnt a threat, neither is being noisy... I dunno, seems stupid for the Bank to do it or the police to suggest it.

akira28

The last time Bank of America was worried about runs on the bank, or masses of people removing their money, they closed their doors at will. They would shit a duck if OWS suddenly decided that moving from specific banks to Credit Unions would be a good first gesture for 100K supporters to try.

Might be a nice set of baby steps to try, actually.

remnant

Banned
travisbickle said:
Who's they?
The bank and the police. If your on private property they have the "right of way" if you will. Not much different than a citizen arrest on someone who is trespassing.

Now if the protestors can prove they were being abused maybe they would have something, but I can't see a judge ignoring the obvious theatrics of this thing and interpreting it as willful abuse.

remnant

Banned
markot said:
Protesting isnt a threat, neither is being noisy... I dunno, seems stupid for the Bank to do it or the police to suggest it.
No shirts, no shoes, no service. BoA owns the property. They really don't have to deal with noisy protestors.

remnant

Banned
markot said:
Yeah, but no service =/= locking people in. You can ask them to leave, tell them to leave.
Isn't that what they did? They didn't leave.

Akira28 if BoA was really worried they would have enacted suspension of convertibility.

akira28

remnant said:

Akira28 if BoA was really worried they would have enacted suspension of convertibility.

They might end up doing that if they got wind of it. They wouldn't want to appear to be blocking people from switching banks though, would they?

lsslave

Jew Gamer
To be honest, I think its going to take a Martyr before this movement finds a leader.

Someone is going down, hard, and then the movement is going to be incited. Right now it is about a belief, but when someone goes down HARD this will become real. The 60s movements didn't hit high gear until a few people went down hard, it is going to happen hear.

Right now people are happy, working towards a belief they have. But once their belief hits "cause" and they are fighting, when people get truly angry, THAT is when it will happen.

A grim way to look at it, but until shit hits the fan this movement is no more than a group of people sharing a belief.

Edit:

remnant said:

This would probably cause some incite, since this is the exact type of thing that people are mad about. The banks controlling their money is going to just get people even more furious about it.

Remnant do you view the actions of the protesters, in this case, a threat"? We would all agree that the police are allowed to subdue a threat, but I would not call what I saw as a threat. Specifically, The video that shows a group of officers pushing an unarmed woman back into the bank.

The only legal offence I see as being committed was the bank worker wasting police time.

remnant

Banned
travisbickle said:
Remnant do you view the actions of the protesters, in this case, a threat"? We would all agree that the police are allowed to subdue a threat, but I would not call what I saw as a threat. Specifically, The video that shows a group of officers pushing an unarmed woman back into the bank.

The only legal offence I see as being committed was the bank worker wasting police time.
Yes, no and its irrelevant. As soon as the bank manager says leave and you don't leave, expect trouble. To act like a victim when they lock the door is a little disingenous. It's not entrapment if they open the door for you to leave and you refuse.

It comes down to whether or not BoA has to right to control trespassers on their property.

And as far as the run on the bank goes, well yeah I can see why BoA isn't happy about that either. Not that they seem to care. If they were worried they would have acted more strongly. I mean it not as if this was a big secret

I mean anyone can empty their BoA account online this second. You don't need a drumline into the bank.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
remnant said:
Yes, no and its irrelevant. As soon as the bank manager says leave and you don't leave, expect trouble. To act like a victim when they lock the door is a little disingenous. It's not entrapment if they open the door for you to leave and you refuse.

It comes down to whether or not BoA has to right to control trespassers on their property.

And as far as the run on the bank goes, well yeah I can see why BoA isn't happy about that either. Not that they seem to care. If they were worried they would have acted more strongly. I mean it not as if this was a big secret

I mean anyone can empty their BoA account online this second. You don't need a drumline into the bank.

That is the point of a protest though, sitting in the shadows? Being passive isn't what people are trying to do in this case.

People should know WHY the accounts are being closed.

And as far as I am concerned the second they refused to let people close their accounts they broke the real rules. We are supposed to have a mutual agreement with a bank, they hold my money and get to loan it out but when I want it then it is my money.

They don't give me my money back and they broke their end of the deal.

alstein

lsslave said:
To be honest, I think its going to take a Martyr before this movement finds a leader.

Someone is going down, hard, and then the movement is going to be incited. Right now it is about a belief, but when someone goes down HARD this will become real. The 60s movements didn't hit high gear until a few people went down hard, it is going to happen hear.

Right now people are happy, working towards a belief they have. But once their belief hits "cause" and they are fighting, when people get truly angry, THAT is when it will happen.

A grim way to look at it, but until shit hits the fan this movement is no more than a group of people sharing a belief.

This would probably cause some incite, since this is the exact type of thing that people are mad about. The banks controlling their money is going to just get people even more furious about it.

I really think that Bloomberg is trying hard to keep a martyr from happening, for his own sake. I suspect the martyrs will come from somewhere else.

akira28 said:
The last time Bank of America was worried about runs on the bank, or masses of people removing their money, they closed their doors at will. They would shit a duck if OWS suddenly decided that moving from specific banks to Credit Unions would be a good first gesture for 100K supporters to try.

Might be a nice set of baby steps to try, actually.

I don't think the OWS types have enough money in BOA to really pull an effective run. Isn't most monster megabank money in corporate accounts anyways? The big revenue source from the 99% sorts is bank fees, not deposits.

Also I suspect most of the protestors who do have savings, will have it in a credit union/ smaller bank anyways, because that's just good common sense.

remnant

Banned
lsslave said:
That is the point of a protest though, sitting in the shadows? Being passive isn't what people are trying to do in this case.

People should know WHY the accounts are being closed.

And as far as I am concerned the second they refused to let people close their accounts they broke the real rules. We are supposed to have a mutual agreement with a bank, they hold my money and get to loan it out but when I want it then it is my money.

They don't give me my money back and they broke their end of the deal.
BoA has no responsibilty to promote your protest. Protestors don't have the right to invalidate property rights. they own the bank. Not you.

Ignoring the immature idea that banks should do nothing to prevent a run as I understand it you could still move your money. Do it online or at another branch.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
remnant said:
BoA has no responsibilty to promote your protest. Protestors don't have the right to invalidate property rights. they own the bank. Not you.

Ignoring the immature idea that banks should do nothing to prevent a run as I understand it you could still move your money. Do it online or at another branch.

No, they do not have any responsibility to promote it, but they also should not have any right to refuse you to take your money from them.

You miss one payment on your mortgage because all this bullshit cost you to lose your job and they'll be at your door like a hungry wolf but if you want your money from them they will be bitches about it. That is what is wrong.

Then again, I am really comfortable with CIBC, they have been phenomenal to me thus far for a bank and I wouldn't close my account unless I had to (when I was out of work they kept a missed payment from meeting my credit rating on my credit card, with my flawless credit that was a dodged bullet that earned a LOT of respect from me)

alstein said:
I really think that Bloomberg is trying hard to keep a martyr from happening, for his own sake. I suspect the martyrs will come from somewhere else.

They can keep trying but eventually it will happen, unless this movement just ends up collapsing.

People could get bored of it like with everything else (what is happening with the protest Scientology movement lately?) but if something big happens soon it could matter. Wait and see I suppose.

remnant said:
Yes, no and its irrelevant.
I asked one question and get three answers; I swear all the posters who are against the protesters can't answer a simple question.

Also your opinion is relevant, don't let anyone tell you it isn't.

remnant

Banned
lsslave said:
No, they do not have any responsibility to promote it, but they also should not have any right to refuse you to take your money from them.
Again BoA did not stop you from moving your money. You want to close your account? Walk down the street to find another branch, locate a computer or stop the theatrics and walk in calmly like every other customer.

lsslave said:
You miss one payment on your mortgage because all this bullshit cost you to lose your job and they'll be at your door like a hungry wolf but if you want your money from them they will be bitches about it. That is what is wrong.
Really, you miss one payment and you're out the door? Granted this anecdotal but I've seen people in homes for years sporadically paying mortages or flat out not paying and still living there. This was in the 90's and 2000's mind you

lsslave said:
Then again, I am really comfortable with CIBC, they have been phenomenal to me thus far for a bank and I wouldn't close my account unless I had to (when I was out of work they kept a missed payment from meeting my credit rating on my credit card, with my flawless credit that was a dodged bullet that earned a LOT of respect from me)
SO wait you don't use BoA. You just assume they will be on like hungry wolves?

akira28 said:
Are you calling me immature?
Yes. Bank runs are serious shit. You are not going to sneak up behind BoA and complete one.

travisbickle said:
I asked one question and get three answers; I swear all the posters who are against the protesters can't answer a simple question.

Also your opinion is relevant, don't let anyone tell you it isn't.
Actually you got two answers. Akira28 got the irrelevant.

Shiggy

Banks won't change - at least they provide some food when they visit my university each week.

Who could make a change? Politicians - but I doubt that either the US or the UK or even the Chinese government will want to do that. And without those three, nobody will try anything. So banks will keep on playing games.

JambiBum

ReBurn said:
Why don't they ever show the whole thing? There had to be more than "excuse me, I would like to close my account" going on. What happened before the cops came?
The girl recording it obviously got there late since she wasn't allowed inside. What I'm thinking is that there was a large group of people inside the bank trying to move their money and the bank couldn't handle the crowd so they called the cops. Hopefully someone else can find some more info about it.

Shiggy said:
Banks won't change - at least they provide some food when they visit my university each week.

Who could make a change? Politicians - but I doubt that either the US or the UK or even the Chinese government will want to do that. And without those three, nobody will try anything. So banks will keep on playing games.

that's unnacceptable

Myansie

remnant said:
Again BoA did not stop you from moving your money. You want to close your account? Walk down the street to find another branch, locate a computer or stop the theatrics and walk in calmly like every other customer.

Really, you miss one payment and you're out the door? Granted this anecdotal but I've seen people in homes for years sporadically paying mortages or flat out not paying and still living there. This was in the 90's and 2000's mind you

Yes. Bank runs are serious shit. You are not going to sneak up behind BoA and complete one.

Keep defending the banks dude, they've only committed fraud on such a grandiose scale as to create a Global Financial Crisis.

Myansie said:
Keep defending the banks dude, they've only committed fraud on such a grandiose scale as to create a Global Financial Crisis.

they could literally spit in your face, fuck your wife and laugh while they take everything youve ever had yet there will still be defenders of the bank cartel thanks to the media and cultural control they've had for so long.

remnant said:

This is really cute. Keep defending the people who bite you in the ass please.

Wazzim

Banned
Myansie said:
I have seen this defending everywhere: on GAF, US news sites, my timeline and in real life.
I'm just tired to have the same debate everyday, we just have to accept that some people are a lost cause. They're so stubborn and don't want to accept the facts.

markot

Banned
Cmon, it wasnt the banks, it was all those people who wanted to buy houses! They were poor and stuff! Terrible people wanting to house themselves!

markot said:
Cmon, it wasnt the banks, it was all those people who wanted to buy houses! They were poor and stuff! Terrible people wanting to house themselves!

i'm not against a degree of culpability on their parts, but ultimately they were simply enacting what was being encouraged and is a deep part of our culture. Why WOULDNT you take the loan? these loans are good as gravy, baby, look at everyone else!

When you create a culture of excess and you push and manipulate that culture for your own good, it's really hard to keep blaming the victim like that.

Wazzim

Banned
The banks are just waiting for shit to hit the fan and hope that the government will fight it's own people to defend them.

Wazzim said:
The banks are just waiting for shit to hit the fan and hope that the government will fight it's own people to defend them.
The government will do that, because thats whats in the interest of banks and other corporations. And corporations own the government.

remnant

Banned
Myansie said:
defend what? The right for a bank to not be forced to house protesters? This moronic belief that a bank run is a good thing, and that BoA is shaking in their boots.

I didn't defend anyone. I pointed out common sense.

remnant said:
defend what? The right for a bank to not be forced to house protesters? This moronic belief that a bank run is a good thing, and that BoA is shaking in their boots.

I didn't defend anyone. I pointed out common sense.

You're in the top 10 of posters for this topic, so I think the question goes beyond this incident.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Walking into a bank branch with a group of people carrying protest signs is confusing and frightening for employees and other customers. The videos I've seen show assertive or even agressive people protesting. Creating a tense climate may help get the point across to the person behind the counter, but the teller most likely isn't the person who screwed you over.

I think people who make a scene at bank branches bring it upon themselves when they get arrested. If they are on private property and are asked to leave they should leave. When they refuse to leave they are trespassing. Getting arrested is a consequence they should be willing to accept if they are willing to break the law as part of the protest.

I sympathize with the sentiment behind the protest, but the method of protest can be damaging to the cause. They should be smarter about what they're doing. People close accounts every day without incident, so I'm sure they can get the money out without making a scene. But if making a scene was the intention they accomplished the mission.

noah111

Still Alive
A friend was just telling me about 'occupy hollywood' which was news to me, said it's on pirate bays front page, imd this;

Wonder what they're protesting.

ReBurn said:
I sympathize with the sentiment behind the protest, but the method of protest can be damaging to the cause. They should be smarter about what they're doing. People close accounts every day without incident, so I'm sure they can get the money out without making a scene. But if making a scene was the intention they accomplished the mission.

The occupy movement just went global, protest occurred around the world inspired by what is happening in America, I don't think a few over-zealous protestors closing their accounts is going to damage the cause.

alstein said:

Holy cow, you're not kidding alstein.

from the article:
“It’s not a middle-class uprising,” adds another veteran bank executive. “It’s fringe groups. It’s people who have the time to do this.”

We'll see about that buddy.

Also, this quote right here kind of sums up the 99% point pretty well:
He added that he was disappointed that members of Congress from New York, especially Senator Charles E. Schumer and Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, had not come out swinging for an industry that donates heavily to their campaigns. “They need to understand who their constituency is,” he said.

pompidu

S1lent

Frank Lemon said:
He added that he was disappointed that members of Congress from New York, especially Senator Charles E. Schumer and Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, had not come out swinging for an industry that donates heavily to their campaigns. “They need to understand who their constituency is,” he said.

Wow. If only they'd speak this candidly on the record.

travisbickle said:
The occupy movement just went global, protest occurred around the world inspired by what is happening in America, I don't think a few over-zealous protestors closing their accounts is going to damage the cause.

there should be an organized withdrawal and cancellation, at least as symbolic

ReBurn

Gold Member
travisbickle said:
It's things like this that the media picks up on, not the peaceful marches and sit-ins. If the movement really represented 99% of people it wouldn't matter. But 99% of people aren't behind this. Some people are really turned off by the antics of confrontational protestors and it's damaging when they become the face of the movement. That's all I'm saying.

ReBurn said:
It's things like this that the media picks up on, not the peaceful marches and sit-ins. If the movement really represented 99% of people it wouldn't matter. But 99% of people aren't behind this. Some people are really turned off by the antics of confrontational protestors and it's damaging when they become the face of the movement. That's all I'm saying.

The idea of OWS is not that 99% of people support it. It is that it represents the interests of the 99% as against the top 1%. Some people who are part of the 99% do not understand where there interests lie due to ignorance or conditioning, and they may well oppose the movement and inadvertently hurt their own interests. Those people are mostly irrelevant now, with any luck. Their interests will nevertheless be advanced without their effort or understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom