• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Occupy Wall St - Occupy Everywhere, Occupy Together!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReBurn

Gold Member
empty vessel said:
The idea of OWS is not that 99% of people support it. It is that it represents the interests of the 99% as against the top 1%. Some people who are part of the 99% do not understand where there interests lie due to ignorance or conditioning, and they may well oppose the movement and inadvertently hurt their own interests. Those people are mostly irrelevant now, with any luck. Their interests will nevertheless be advanced without their effort or understanding.
I get that. I was just saying that "going global" doesn't mean that the protestors are immune from hurting the cause. It seems like the fringe are always what ends up being what the media uses to portray an entire group and that could negatively impact the message.

pompidu

ReBurn said:
It's things like this that the media picks up on, not the peaceful marches and sit-ins. If the movement really represented 99% of people it wouldn't matter. But 99% of people aren't behind this. Some people are really turned off by the antics of confrontational protestors and it's damaging when they become the face of the movement. That's all I'm saying.
A lot of media is not going to show the peaceful protesters. Govt and corporations are putting as much lockdown on what is and what isn't shown. The govt is run by politicians which are runned by lobbyists. This has to change. We need to dispose of these leeches.

The young blood need to vote. The old generation has their money saved and will ride the rest of their lives off that and social security. They will vote whoever they want cause they do not give a shit about the future. They eat up the media and lap up the bullshit.

The young generation are burden with the debt of the parents callous decisions, from unnecessary wars and the handing over of money to corrupt corporations that took tax money to fill their mansions while leaving millions without jobs. The decision to vote for politicians who took money to fuel their own interests as well as campaign funding croonies are a direct result of the older generation.

This is not your country. It is the super riches. The evidence shows its self in the form of bailouts and new laws that keep the poor poor, and the rich richer. Your parents fucked this country up. It's going to take a lot of us to take it back.

How OWS describes itself:

Occupy Wall Street is a people powered movement that began on September 17, 2011 in Liberty Square in Manhattan’s Financial District, and has spread to over 100 cities in the United States and actions in over 1,500 cities globally. #OWS is fighting back against the corrosive power of major banks and multinational corporations over the democratic process, and the role of Wall Street in creating an economic collapse that has caused the greatest recession in generations. The movement is inspired by popular uprisings in Egypt, Tunisia, Spain, Greece, Italy and the UK, and aims to expose how the richest 1% of people who are writing the rules of the global economy are imposing an agenda of neoliberalism and economic inequality that is foreclosing our future.​

That is pitch perfect, in my opinion.

JGS

Banned
How are they accomplishing the goal "to expose how the richest 1% of people who are writing the rules of the global economy are imposing an agenda of neoliberalism and economic inequality that is foreclosing our future."

The only thing being talked about is the fact that they are indeed occupying Wall Street. The individuals in the movement come across as clueless or whiny. It would be nice if the actual showed a purpose beyond their mantra cuz it's not coming across as anything other than emotional which will inevitably peter out.

Reminds me of Wikileaks.

Zabka

JGS said:
How are they accomplishing the goal "to expose how the richest 1% of people who are writing the rules of the global economy are imposing an agenda of neoliberalism and economic inequality that is foreclosing our future."

The only thing being talked about is the fact that they are indeed occupying Wall Street. The individuals in the movement come across as clueless or whiny. It would be nice if the actual showed a purpose beyond their mantra cuz it's not coming across as anything other than emotional which will inevitably peter out.

Reminds me of Wikileaks.
Horse-hockey. I just saw David Axelrod interviewed on TV about the major problems OWS is addressing.

JGS said:

Reminds me of Wikileaks.

You are one of the irrelevant people. But if you must know, the movement has already succeeded in this endeavor. For example, here is something (previously posted in this thread) that would not have been produced but for OWS:

CHARTS: Here's What The Wall Street Protesters Are So Angry About...

Or this: Amazing Charts Show How 90% Of The Country Has Gotten Shafted Over The Past 30 Years...

That is called exposure. Discussion about inequality is happening, even in the mainstream. That is what movements do and it it is how they "expose." If you are expecting the protesters to do something like make charts out of their own bodies for aerial photographs, I would not hold your breath.

When you fizzle out the middle-class, you won't have anyone left to buy your shitty products

it is the rich's interest to keep a healthy middle-class economically strong,

when the middle falls into poverty... the rich has less consumers which fucks the rich in the end

but short term vision

Piecake

gutter_trash said:
When you fizzle out the middle-class, you won't have anyone left to buy your shitty products

it is the rich's interest to keep a healthy middle-class economically strong,

when the middle falls into poverty... the rich has less consumers which fucks the rich in the end

but short term vision

I'd imagine you can thank shareholders, quarterly earnings reports, and cowardly CEO's afraid of losing their jobs for a lackluster earnings report for that. That, or just general stupidity, or simply not caring since the rich fucks will probably be dead by the time that erosion of the middle class really fucks over our economy

Estimated 2,000 yesterday in Eugene. Biggest protest march in the city's history.

298165_10150322804560658_572805657_8583819_1199963470_n.jpg

Tawpgun

As unorganized and sloppy as it still is, I love that its happening. People have been taking this shit sitting down for too long. Doesn't help that things like facebook and twitter give people a false sense of entitlement.

ex. THE BANKS ARE SO CORRUPT AND WE SHOULDNT HAVE MONEY AFFECTING POLITICS AS MUCH AS IT DOES POST THIS AS YOUR STATUS/RETWEET IF YOU AGREE (and then they feel as if they've contributed)

I'm glad people used social networks to actually physically rise up. I still have to find the time to go to the Boston one.

Chichikov

Went to Occupy Seattle yesterday, nice turnout, filled Westlake park, it was kinda hard for me to estimate the crowd, but the policemen I talked to said they think it's around 3000. More than I expected/feared.

After two hours of open mic speeches, which were hit and miss as expected, but contained some pretty solid ones we went to march downtown, going down the Pike place market (which was not a smart decision, you never want that many people in that confined space, though nothing bad happened) and after a couple of sitdowns downtown, people dispersed peacefully.

At this point I had to head out because I may care about the future of this country, but not enough to miss the ALCS.

Some notes -
  • This was the most peacful political rally I've ever been part of; it felt weird.
  • SPD were on their best behavior, I've criticized them in the past, but big ups for their conduct this Saturday.
  • God bless the hippies, I know, it's easy to make fun of their tenuous relationship with personal hygiene, their taste in shirts and they fact that they nearly ruined nudity for all of us, but damn, I hope I have their political energy when I'm their age. And on a personal note, as someone who learned political activism from aging 60s radicals, it was really cool to sing We Shall Not be Moved in person (though slightly sad that hardly anyone under 50 seem to have heard of it).
  • Seattleites (and from what I can see on the interwebs, Americans in general) really need to improve on their chanting skills.

Good times all around, weather was good, crowd was good, people in town seem supportive, if you live nearby and support the cause, you should come over.

jchap

So their goal is to just whine about vague issues and let the people who helped create the mess propose policy fixes? They should centralize and lay down some substantive proposals. This or start a wave of their own politicians like the tea party did and oust those where they can.

Chichikov

jchap said:
So their goal is to just whine about vague issues and let the people who helped create the mess propose policy fixes? They should centralize and lay down some substantive proposals.
You really expect people with with day jobs (if their lucky), bills to pay, and families to care of to be able to come up with a solution for this mess?
This is not a system for drafting specific legislation, this a performance review of the people in Washington.

alstein

jchap said:
So their goal is to just whine about vague issues and let the people who helped create the mess propose policy fixes? They should centralize and lay down some substantive proposals. This or start a wave of their own politicians like the tea party did and oust those where they can.

I think this will be the next step, but now the idea is to keep momentum. Left wing consensus compared to right wing is like herding cats compared to herding sheep.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
jchap said:

Don't we elect officials to propose and create policies to help us? They aren't doing it so we are sending a message to them they aren't doing it?

Just saying

Frank Lemon said:
Holy cow, you're not kidding alstein.

from the article:
“It’s not a middle-class uprising,” adds another veteran bank executive. “It’s fringe groups. It’s people who have the time to do this.”

We'll see about that buddy.

Also, this quote right here kind of sums up the 99% point pretty well:
He added that he was disappointed that members of Congress from New York, especially Senator Charles E. Schumer and Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, had not come out swinging for an industry that donates heavily to their campaigns. “They need to understand who their constituency is,” he said.
Motherfuckers.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
jchap said:

lol

Worst idea ever.

The fact that the movement is not centralized, doesn't have leaders, and is now going global, is what will make this so much stronger than any dumb movement like the Tea Party.

You need to have a look back at all past protest movements that led to change, they precisely fit the bill of the OWS protests.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Frank Lemon said:
Holy cow, you're not kidding alstein.

from the article:
“It’s not a middle-class uprising,” adds another veteran bank executive. “It’s fringe groups. It’s people who have the time to do this.”

We'll see about that buddy.

Also, this quote right here kind of sums up the 99% point pretty well:
He added that he was disappointed that members of Congress from New York, especially Senator Charles E. Schumer and Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, had not come out swinging for an industry that donates heavily to their campaigns. “They need to understand who their constituency is,” he said.

Corporations are people.

People with shitloads of money to give to our lawmakers.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
DOO13ER said:
Corporations are people.

People with shitloads of money to give to our lawmakers.

People who never end up in jail.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Ether_Snake said:
lol

Worst idea ever.

The fact that the movement is not centralized, doesn't have leaders, and is now going global, is what will make this so much stronger than any dumb movement like the Tea Party.

You need to have a look back at all past protest movements that led to change, they precisely fit the bill of the OWS protests.

What still gets me is that you can look at all the retired people who do nothing but complain about these protests.

My grandfather lost a lot of money with the stock crash and even he thinks we are all stupid kids with too much free time. He is retired, he has too much free time. I work, have an avid social life, a hobby, a passion, waste too much time on this forum, and still can be pretty political. Got cited by a paper once in a conservative community with a very liberal quote, was proud of it, people around when I was being interviewed were absolutely horrified by what I said (How blessed we are as Canada to not be caught in the recession but to give Stephen Harper credit is failing to understand our system, the only benefit we have through him is his inactivity. He achieves nothing and in doing so has been unable to screw us over. He won't even be a footnote in the history books)

akira28

Corporate executives point out that most of us are too busy to protest or complain? Due to employment? That's how they know this OWS isn't legit?

I hope the pitchforks come for that guy first. :D

alstein said:

Wow.

Without a coherent message, the crowds will ultimately thin out, Wall Street types insist — especially when the weather turns colder. They see the protesters as an entertaining sideshow, little more than flash mobs of slackers, seeking to lock arms with Kanye West or get a whiff of the antiestablishment politics that defined their parents’ generation.

They're right about one thing, this winter will be a major test for the movement. If the occupation can survive the winter, and I think they will, it will show how tremendous their resolve is. I imagine that will provide quite a shock for the establishment.

Protester: We want jobs!
Critic: Get a job, hippy!

Protester: We work 2 jobs and just barely get by, while someone who oversees the firing of 30,000 gets an $6 million package. Unfortunately, I dont have time to protest this, because of said two jobs
Critic: Only the unemployed are protesting!

Protest: We want the people who work hard, who play fair to have the advantage. Why are the people who commit global fraud allowed to walk off scott free, and retire on a private island?
Critic: Stop freeloading, hippy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIfEw1V8_Ls

Maybe it was posted before but the German government is scared:

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/0,1518,792058,00.html

Autotranslated:

Criticism of financial industry
Politicians declare enemy of the state banks

By Veit Medick

Money houses smashed, punish hard gamers: In rare harmony buttoning the policy before the financial industry, even with the FDP seems to be the world's anti-bank movement to show solidarity. The State's sake, signal strength, but the new course is populist - and risky.

Berlin - Things are going well for the critics of capitalism around the world. They camped on the outskirts of mega-banks, marching through the major cities, occupy iconic places - and no one gets in the way. On the contrary. The revolt against the dominance of financial institutions is almost mainstream. On weekends, hundreds of thousands were on the streets. In 80 countries worldwide.

What particularly pleased the demonstrators should: In Europe they have recently been an important ally - the policy.
While still arguing about the impending bankruptcy of Greece, going from Berlin to Brussels politicians suddenly on the financial institutions going. Because due to the impending bankruptcy of Athens probably need to be protected by large banks to use taxpayer billions - although not a few of them have been speculating in government bonds. This creates frustration in many major cities. The arrogance of some managers have increased the anger.

Now the politicians are fighting back. Of forced nationalization is talk of a realignment of the financial sector and the destruction of the banks. The policy explains the banks to the new public enemy.

Even punishment for greedy financial manager can imagine some now. He would "personally use it," that European law would be amended accordingly, said European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso.

In this country, the parties vying for the best ways to put the banks in the chain. CSU General Secretary Alexander Dobrindt has targeted those institutions that "are still in revenues mainly in bonuses and dividends." Greens leader Cem Özdemir calls for debt brake for banks. The SPD is in favor of a separation of investment banking and commercial banking. "I want the business of investment banking is a very big sign on the door is the inscription 'Here ends the state liability,'" said party leader Sigmar Gabriel told SPIEGEL.

Even the FDP increased the pressure on banks

The anger on the power of the banks are united by the parties, it blurs the political boundaries. Even the traditionally state-FDP exacerbating the skeptical tone towards the private sector and called for renewed political intervention. "The banks are like states: Do they not do their homework, we take them by the hand," citing the "Bild"-Zeitung faction leader Rainer Bruederle. "If necessary, the state must make clear guidelines to the banks." It sounds a bit like as if the Liberals merged with the Left Party. "Only the man, then the banks," calls for their boss Klaus Ernst.

But really, some concerns may be, so predictable is the offensive. It will distract from their own fiscal policy mistakes in the past and his own uncertainty in the current situation. The euro crisis has exposed how much the mighty pushing the global markets are still going on. For months now the monetary union is in Schuldenschlamassel, a billion dollar package for months following the other, a summit the next - but the impression is created among the population, as everything will only get worse. To Greece and Italy and Spain have been downgraded by the rating agencies. The turnaround has not, it now needs a signal of resolve. And the supposedly cold since capital is a welcome opponent.

The banking industry itself is fighting back. "The policy we can not now declare war - but should rather go with us on bread and water to the monastery and work until white smoke rises and there is a common solution," said the President of the Federal Association of German Banks, Andrew Schmitz. "We have no banking crisis, but a political crisis of confidence."

In fact, the popular anti-banking is a risky course. The danger is great that people are awakened in the expectation that later can not be met. During the last bank bailout in 2008, the rhetoric was similar in this country. Little is happening. Even now many indications that the governments of the euro zone, including the sitting of the black-yellow coalition, again on the shorter lever.

Big trouble over Ackermann

This coming weekend will advise the leaders at their summit on how the private sector can be persuaded to adopt Athens a significant portion of the debt. Take them seriously with their restructuring plan, which could bring some big financial institutions and thus the entire financial market in trouble. Who then would dare to lay the ax to the whole system?

And so some prefer to brand the once too proud attitude of individual managers. Josef Ackermann on the example. The head of Deutsche Bank has dedicated itself to the fight against the forced capitalization. He would be "ashamed" if his house would have to take advantage of government money, he quipped soon as 2009. Last week, he renewed his criticism. He doubted whether "the policy at all is able to resolve the crisis permanently."
The outrage over this jab is great. As a representative of a major German bank wearing Ackermann "great economic but also social responsibility," writes about the chairman of the CSU group in the Bundestag, Gerda Hasselfeldt. "This includes the view of the interests of the public with one." There is also anger at the Greens: "I wonder whether Mr. Ackermann is at all interested in a lasting solution to the crisis," says Cem Özdemir.

"For," adds the party chief, "such a solution would in my view is that there are no more systemically important banks."

The most conservative News we have in Germany had this vote:

Do you share the critics of the occupy-wallstreet movement?
votewuq9.png

91.5% voted yes!

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
kame-sennin said:
Wow.

They're right about one thing, this winter will be a major test for the movement. If the occupation can survive the winter, and I think they will, it will show how tremendous their resolve is. I imagine that will provide quite a shock for the establishment.
It won't. It probably shouldn't.

Prolonged occupation is very stressful, the movement needs to think into alternative forms of pressure or risk damage, since many people will return to their homes and the numbskulls will be the only ones left to man the ship. We already learnt this in Spain. The current stratregy revolves around raising hell in bursts, creating lots of noise for a few weeks and then retreating to coordinate other actions elsewhere.

JGS said:

The President never would have said this without OWS:

The White House continued its embrace of the Occupy Wall Street protests on Sunday, using the strongest terms yet to identify President Barack Obama with the growing movement.

In a call previewing Obama's upcoming bus tour through North Carolina and Virginia, White House spokesman Josh Earnest said Obama "will continue to acknowledge the frustration that he himself shares," about Washington's laggard response to the financial crisis.

Earnest added that while on the trip, Obama will make it clear that he is fighting to make certain that the "interests of 99 percent of Americans are well represented" — the first time the White House has used the term to differentiate the vast majority of Americans from the wealthy.

Obama, who has been branded a "class warrior" by Republicans unhappy with his plans to increase taxes on the rich to pay for his jobs and deficit plans, has embraced the term.

"I’ll tell you what, if asking a billionaire to pay the same tax rate as a plumber or a teacher or a bus driver makes me a warrior for the middle class, I will wear that charge with honor," he told donors in Dallas earlier this month.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/whit...for-interests-of-the-99-2011-10#ixzz1ayW4yRTt

http://www.businessinsider.com/whit...a-is-fighting-for-interests-of-the-99-2011-10

OWS has completely changed the conversation in American politics. That, in and of itself, is a HUGE victory.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
And people here who considering it as if it was only a New York thing don't get it. It's global now. Doesn't matter if it gets cold in New York:p The problems are shared by the middle class and workers on a global level, we are all connected, and solutions and demands will arise everywhere as if demanded by the same people to the same governments.

I said it before. It is inevitable that in the end wrongs are righted. This is human history since monarchies were abolished.

kylej

Banned
kame-sennin said:
The President never would have said this without OWS:

OWS has completely changed the conversation in American politics. That, in and of itself, is a HUGE victory.

Er, that reads like any other political speak ever. OWS sympathizers are generally leftist and a huge part of the voting block for someone like Obama. He's not going to come out and say "fuck off, this shit is dumb, I'm rich, bitch".

Wazzim

Banned
kame-sennin said:
Yup I think the Republicans are really shortsighted with this. Opossing this movement might very well be a shot in their own foot in the future.

raphier

Banned
Wazzim said:
Yup I think the Republicans are really shortsighted with this. Opossing this movement might very well be a shot in their own foot in the future.
That's because their agenda differs from what protesters want. It's just that public realized it finally(OR NOT). I think.

Chichikov said:
Their number 1 agenda is to get re-elected, if supporting Wall Street ever becomes a crutch for them, they'll change their tune.
They want to get re-elected for all other reasons, though. I always think of them as the Sith of America for some reason.

Chichikov

raphier said:
That's because their agenda differs from what protesters want. It's just that public realized it finally. I think.
Their number 1 agenda is to get re-elected, if supporting Wall Street ever becomes a crutch for them, they'll change their tune.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
raphier said:
That's because their agenda differs from what protesters want. It's just that public realized it finally. I think.
Going by polls I dont think the protesters have realize what party is behind them and the bailouts don't go well for Obama, its muddy

Chichikov

Marius_ said:
Going by polls I dont think the protesters have realize what party is behind them and the bailouts don't go well for Obama, its muddy
Neither parties are behind them, and I think most of them realize that (I know the most of those that I've talked to do).

Wazzim

Banned
Chichikov said:
There are some proper Republicans too but they are set back by the party for those dumb shites you see screaming on TV. The Republican party itself needs a revolution.

That Paulson dickface mentions that him and his billionaire compatriots pay 40% of the taxes that support NY. Is he so oblivious to think that if he didn't hoard the vast amounts of wealth he does, that the 40% would still be paid in taxes, but spread out across thousands of workers paying in their share from that large pool of wealth? What the fuck seriously. How do these super wealthy assholes believe this shit? They have deluded themselves into believing that they, and only their kind, are capable of managing wealth and they have some kind of duty to hoard it.

If you want to hoard the pie, prepare to pay a big fucking chunk of it in taxes.

empty vessel said:
The flag is a symbol of a nation. We are the nation. Your symbolism fetish is bizarre. You realize that symbols are abstract representations and don't have actual power, right?

He's so misguided and brainwashed it's incredible. But of course his original intent was to imply that these people aren't patriots because they aren't carrying enough fucking flags.

Piecake

Wazzim said:

The Republican party is shortsighted with a lot of things, most notably Latino immigration. 30 years from now, if they havent changed their tune, they will be a minority party that is only successful in certain districts and states.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom