• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Occupy Wall St - Occupy Everywhere, Occupy Together!

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Finally went to the wall street thing. It was alright. Waiting for the ferry to go home now at night though it was odd. It is like seeing a bunch of homeless people sleeping. Bunch of crazy people mixed up into the bunch too but that is bound to happen. Took a few pics too.

Lax Mike

Neo Member
XMonkey said:
It's a movement across the country. While it might be freezing on the East coast, here in California our winters are pretty mild. We won't pack up.
Though taking the "Wall Street" out of Occupy Wall Street" could cripple the cause. By focusing the blame on Wall Street, the protest has garnered more support since it is what most Americans associate with the economic problems. Take that away, and just make it "Occupy [Insert Location here]", and it has a much less support, as there is no clear villain in the protests. They're no longer going up against the big bad corrupt fat cats of Wall Street, but a much more vague enemy (Corruption, lack of certain regulations). Sure they could continue protesting Wall Street all the way in Cali, but it would be much less effective than protesting in NYC. There's also the fact that people in various regions might begin to shift their protests to more local issues, further splitting the overall movement. The movement will eventually fizzle out, but that's not to say it won't accomplish some things before that time.

Enron

Banned
moveon.org showed up to Occupy Atlanta yesterday, and succeeded in pissing everyone off.

Occupy Atlanta rally turns political, ends early

By Arielle Kass
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

6:06 p.m. Saturday, October 15, 2011
The political action group MoveOn.org joined Occupy Atlanta protesters Saturday for a rally on the steps of Georgia's Capitol, but the event ended early after Occupy Atlanta members grew frustrated with people who spoke out about the president and the Republican party.

The rally primarily was held to support the federal jobs bill, said Tariq Shakoor, a DeKalb County council coordinator for MoveOn.org. About 200 people attended, many holding signs with messages such as "Stop attacking the middle class" or "Wall Street and Main Street are not connected." One protester wore a shirt that said, “Job cuts don’t heal.”

"We're not here for political agendas; we're not here for politics," said James Turner, who has been camping out downtown in Woodruff Park with other Occupy Atlanta members since Oct. 7. "We're here for the people, not to get behind a candidate."

Turner is among hundreds of people who have been told to vacate the park by 5 p.m. Monday, when Mayor Kasim Reed's executive order allowing them to stay will expire. A spokeswoman for the mayor said nothing has changed, though the city is constantly monitoring and assessing the situation.

Spokeswoman Sonji Jacobs Dade said, "Mayor Reed will determine next steps" following Monday's city council meeting.

Shakoor said Saturday's rally was meant to protest bipartisan gridlock, but Occupy Atlanta marchers bearing signs about the plight of the poor walked up to the Capitol chanting, "Banks got bailed out, we got sold out." They were met with cheers.

Once the rally's message turned to politics, Occupy Atlanta members started to disperse while MoveOn.org participants remained behind.

The Occupy Atlanta movement, which began more than a week ago, is an outgrowth of the Occupy Wall Street protests that have targeted purported corporate greed and a lack of job creation. In Woodruff Park, there were about 50 tents set up. Members of the movement were handing out fliers and holding teach-ins on the grass.

Cailyn Nagle, a University of Georgia student who has commuted between Athens and the protests, said she is participating because she is scared of graduating into a bad job market, and fears for the future of her sister, who starts college next year. Nagle, who was raised in Dacula, said the movement continues to add members, and the sense of community is growing.

"If I can have a hand in changing this country for the better, I have to," she said.

Robin Andrews, a 51-year-old resident of the Fourth Ward, said she owns a home and has a job, but participated in the rally because the value of her house has declined by half. Andrews, who was laid off two years ago, said she makes half as much in her new job as she did in her old one.

Among a group of 15 of her friends, she said all but three are underwater on their homes.

"There's a long list of problems," she said. "People need to wake up."

Shakoor, with MoveOn.org, said the situation in Georgia is desperate. He lamented the high cost of water bills and the number of people whose homes are being foreclosed, and said the state needs to repair roads and schools, which could put people back to work.

He said participants know the federal jobs bill is not a panacea, but said it could be a major step toward improving the economy.

“This is an election year, and they need to know the people are going to be heard from,” he said. “This just doesn’t look like the American Dream. It looks more like the American nightmare.”

Speakers talked about the Greek debt crisis, debit card usage fees and the foreclosure crisis, in addition to unemployment and politics. They opened the rally with the Star-Spangled Banner; about half the participants sang along.

Regina Ali Nur, an Acworth resident, came to the rally with her mother, daughter and cousin. Ali Nur said she no longer felt like the people had a voice, and though she was not affected by the bad economy on a daily basis, she remains concerned about the state of the country.

“If it affects one of us, it is going to affect all of us,” she said.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Lax Mike said:
Though taking the "Wall Street" out of Occupy Wall Street" could cripple the cause. By focusing the blame on Wall Street, the protest has garnered more support since it is what most Americans associate with the economic problems. Take that away, and just make it "Occupy [Insert Location here]", and it has a much less support, as there is no clear villain in the protests. They're no longer going up against the big bad corrupt fat cats of Wall Street, but a much more vague enemy (Corruption, lack of certain regulations). Sure they could continue protesting Wall Street all the way in Cali, but it would be much less effective than protesting in NYC. There's also the fact that people in various regions might begin to shift their protests to more local issues, further splitting the overall movement. The movement will eventually fizzle out, but that's not to say it won't accomplish some things before that time.
I disagree with pretty much all of what you said. Besides, OWS isn't going to pack up in NYC either, even if there will be less people when there's bad weather out. They have plans to stay.

XMonkey said:
I disagree with pretty much all of what you said. Besides, OWS isn't going to pack up in NYC either, even if there will be less people when there's bad weather out. They have plans to stay.

No matter what side of this whole thing you fall on, do you really think when the snow comes in that people are going to be sleeping in a tent outside in NYC? Are you serious bro?

x Power Pad Death Stomp x said:
No matter what side of this whole thing you fall on, do you really think when the snow comes in that people are going to be sleeping in a tent outside in NYC? Are you serious bro?

Yeah, theres no such thing as a homeless person. Sleeping outside in the winter is unheard of.

</1%er>

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
there was a 'we are the 99%' protest in Amsterdam on the weekend.

But the netherlands has a progressive tax rate and rich people pay 52% and the banks are pretty heavily government regulated.

I'm not entirely sure what the point of the protest was. Anyone know?

catfish said:

But the netherlands has a progressive tax rate and rich people pay 52% and the banks are pretty heavily government regulated.

Support for OWS?

x Power Pad Death Stomp x said:
Ok. I guess one of us will feel stupid after the 1st major snowstorm.

I'm a 1%er because I don't sleep in tents during snowstorms. holy lulz.

You express disbelief at the idea of people spending winter outside in cities like NYC and Boston.

What does that tell us about your awareness of the homeless and their struggles?

catfish said:

no

Deku

Banned
catfish said:

protest envy?

jamesinclair said:
You express disbelief at the idea of people spending winter outside in cities like NYC and Boston.

What does that tell us about your awareness of the homeless and their struggles?

It tells me that it's easy to sleep outside in protest in the nice autumn weather. When you have the option of going home or sleeping in a tent in 8 inches of snow, 99% (lol) of people would go home.

Actual homeless people don't have that choice. Maybe you are the one who doesn't understand the struggles of the homeless if you think choosing to go CAMPING in a park is the same as being homeless.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Deku said:
protest envy?
that's what I thought, it was pretty sunny on the weekend, so it's a nice day for a sit outside. But it's kind of counter productive to go and protest in one of the only countries in Europe with a rock solid economy who is paying their bills and helping other broke-ass states to pay theirs.

Joe

"That they do not have leaders is a compliment, not a criticism, though not for those who believe in vanguard parties and other forms of top-down control."

Myansie

catfish said:

America's economy has a trickle down effect. In my city of Brisbane, 3 years ago we had a thriving Game Development industry. Krome employed around 400 people, Pandemic was over 150, Auran was around 50. The Australian dollar has skyrocketed in value thanks to the knock on effects of the weak American economy. Which has had the knock on effect of making developing games in Aus prohibitively expensive. So now all of those studios have shut down. In a city of 1 million people that's a devastating effect for the local industry. The same thing has happened to our movie industry.

America isn't as powerful as it was, but if it was healthy the world would be in a much better place than it is.

catfish said:

i <3 nederlands

akira28

ronito said:
See? It's stuff like this. Code Pink and Moveon. That's help OWS does NOT need.

Code Pink was welcome at the OccupyDC protests at Freedom Plaza. Some of these groups have slightly differing agendas. Some want to include anti-War issues, some seem to want to skirt the gap between Dems and GOP. I can see them fitting in, as long as they keep things in tone.

Moveon.org if they get back to community organizing and away from Obama campaigning long enough to break bread, they might accomplish something. But they can't just show up and start handing out flag stickers.

catfish said:

Solidarity baby!

*Brofist*

They might not be in dire straights, but they know the global economy that is the play thing of the world billionaires affects them too.

it's solidarity, just because i ain't hit by the what's going on in Spain, or in Greece, we are all still suffering at the whims of huge structural issues beyond our own power.

We are all brothers

Wazzim

Banned
Alpha-Bromega said:
it's solidarity, just because i ain't hit by the what's going on in Spain, or in Greece, we are all still suffering at the whims of huge structural issues beyond our own power.

We are all brothers
Yes that and we in the Netherlands have a very connected economy with the United States and the rest of the world. We might not be in trouble now but what if another crisis occurs and our major banks get in trouble? We aren't blind, shit that happens in Spain today might hit us tomorrow.

EDIT: lol looks like the GAF logo
m1ezwurado3h_700sjk5.jpg

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Just got back from Occupy New Hampshire camp site. I uploaded videos to the youtube account and am now editing them. I will be writing up a blog post later. I was too busy to ever write it there and internet access was limited.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So I was in Montreal this past weekend when Occupy Montreal started.

Our hotel happened to be a block away from Place Victoria, or Vistoria Square where they are camping. Also, there was a huge protest walk down St Catherine street, the main avenue of the city shutting down traffic for about 30 minutes or so. Must have been easily 1000 or more people.

All in all it seemed very well organized, the police were very good about clearing the roads and making sure everything was peaceful. And the square is covered in tents, shelters with running power and lights, and well divided "sectors" as far as I could tell.

I recorded a short video of them here:
http://youtu.be/3On1x_soft0

And here are a few pictures I took, ill post more later from my real camera:
IMAG0329.jpg

IMAG0330.jpg

IMAG0335.jpg

IMAG0338.jpg

IMAG0339.jpg

Deku

Banned
catfish said:
that's what I thought, it was pretty sunny on the weekend, so it's a nice day for a sit outside. But it's kind of counter productive to go and protest in one of the only countries in Europe with a rock solid economy who is paying their bills and helping other broke-ass states to pay theirs.

ideologues will always want more.

empty vessel said:
I disagree with this. The political environment was terrible for Wall Street reform in January of 2009. Why would anybody have enacted it without any popular demand for it? The Democrats--who at least until now receive more funding from Wall Street interests than Republicans--had no reason to to do so absent public demand.

It doesn't matter much who is in the Senate. What matters is what is happening outside of it.

There was strong support for Wall Street reform after the unpopular TARP and Wall Street bailouts before Obama took office. He won a commanding election and had a mandate to address the issue and set himself up right away as a populist president. Instead he coddled the rich until it became politically inconvenient.

The senate and congress determine what happens with reform. If there are no votes for it, and a president willing to sign it, there is no reform; it's as simple as that. Marching in the street and demanding...what exactly?...doesn't achieve anything when the people in power get their orders from people with far more influence and money than some young people (who probably don't even vote) yelling slogans in the street.

akira28: I never said Obama is blameless. The fact that he was Wall Street's preferred candidate throughout 2007/08 tells you what you need to know. But I'm still curious how OWS expects things to get better if Romney or Perry get elected.

Jenga

Banned
AndyD said:
So I was in Montreal this past weekend when Occupy Montreal started.

Our hotel happened to be a block away from Place Victoria, or Vistoria Square where they are camping. Also, there was a huge protest walk down St Catherine street, the main avenue of the city shutting down traffic for about 30 minutes or so. Must have been easily 1000 or more people.

All in all it seemed very well organized, the police were very good about clearing the roads and making sure everything was peaceful. And the square is covered in tents, shelters with running power and lights, and well divided "sectors" as far as I could tell.

I recorded a short video of them here:
http://youtu.be/3On1x_soft0

And here are a few pictures I took, ill post more later from my real camera:

IMAG0335.jpg
lol zeitgeist trying to get some of that sweet sweet visibility

PhoenixDark said:
There was strong support for Wall Street reform after the unpopular TARP and Wall Street bailouts before Obama took office. He won a commanding election and had a mandate to address the issue and set himself up right away as a populist president. Instead he coddled the rich until it became politically inconvenient.

There wasn't strong support in any meaningful form. There was no pressure from the pubic being exerted at all. I am not saying that to excuse Obama. It is my assumption that his default is to serve Wall Street, so he and other Democrats did exactly what I would predict them to do. That is why the most relevant question is what public demands are being made to alter that default mode of operation.

PhoenixDark said:
The senate and congress determine what happens with reform. If there are no votes for it, and a president willing to sign it, there is no reform; it's as simple as that. Marching in the street and demanding...what exactly?...doesn't achieve anything when the people in power get their orders from people with far more influence and money than some young people (who probably don't even vote) yelling slogans in the street.

Marching in the street and demanding is the only thing that gets those people in power to disregard the orders from people with far more influence and money. Politicians use money to obtain votes. If votes are directly threatened, it trumps money. Votes--expressed by political organization and political demonstration--are the only thing that can trump money.

sonicfan said:

Maybe for the people trying to drag the movement down... that guy is a joke.

bjb said:
The cops aren't doing anything during this and that guy is having a meltdown.

He looks really unstable.

Wow, a veteran who may be unstable. After the shit he's probably been through he can be afforded some passion and emotion. But he did his part, right? Fought in a piece of shit war for his fucked up piece of shit country, but fuck him for wanting to stand in solidarity with people who think this countries tired-ass financial leaders and apathetic politicians need to be fucking beaten down until they realize they are the fucking problem and the people are the solution.

Enron

Banned
moop2000 said:
Wow, a veteran who may be unstable. After the shit he's probably been through he can be afforded some passion and emotion. But he did his part, right? Fought in a piece of shit war for his fucked up piece of shit country, but fuck him for wanting to stand in solidarity with people who think this countries tired-ass financial leaders and apathetic politicians need to be fucking beaten down until they realize they are the fucking problem and the people are the solution.

....yikes.

I don't think the poster said anything of the sort. Perhaps you should seek some therapy D:

Quixzlizx

moop2000 said:

Neogaf isn't doing anything during this and moop2000 is having a meltdown.

Quixzlizx said:
Neogaf isn't doing anything during this and moop2000 is having a meltdown.

Keep talking...

A fucking meltdown? Is that all you've got? A lame attempt at trolling and talking shit? Fuck, what a sorry mess you are...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom