• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Occupy Wall St - Occupy Everywhere, Occupy Together!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Politico article said:
“Most Wall Street guys, they feel like they’re going to be burned in effigy,” said Anthony Scaramucci, managing partner of SkyBridge Capital, who gave to Obama in 2008 but is now fundraising for Mitt Romney. Some moderate donors, who have given to both parties, “fled from Obama in his support of the Wall Street protests,” he said.
Well, that's a nice start. Thanks for the suggestion.

Politico article said:
Goldman Sachs employees – who contributed more than $1 million to Obama in the 2008 election cycle — are now spending more on Romney than Obama, according to CRP. Goldman Sachs employees, along with their spouses, have contributed $352,200 to Romney. That’s more than seven times the $49,125 they’ve given to Obama.
And the wheel of fortune keeps on spinning.

Myansie

Enron said:
Didn't GS repay every single dime it got from the federal government that same year? Pretty sure they did.

Where's the interest? And why are they still able to take interest free loans from the Federal Reserve? Why is Goldman & Sachs CEO's wife receiving over $200 million to invest? If the investment falls short, the state takes the hit, if it makes a profit, she keeps the profit and the State gets the $200 back. Why are they allowed to do this when they committed outright fraud and were the main architects of the Global Financial Crisis?

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-real-housewives-of-wall-street-look-whos-cashing-in-on-the-bailout-20110411

If, for arguments sake, you lost your job tomorrow would the government give you an interest free loan until you got back on your feet?

Do you understand the outright advantage this gives the banks in the market place? No one can compete against that. That's not Capitalism, nor is it a free market. That is called a monopoly.

So this is just a silly, pointless movement right? I'm asking this because a few of my cousins (who are all into conspiracy theories, hate the govt but don't understand why, etc.) were at a rally a week or two ago. I can't imagine that this is actually legitimate,

alstein

CoffeeJanitor said:
So this is just a silly, pointless movement right? I'm asking this because a few of my cousins (who are all into conspiracy theories, hate the govt but don't understand why, etc.) were at a rally a week or two ago. I can't imagine that this is actually legitimate,

This has the potential to grow into something special, but there are sillies out there as well.
I suspect General Winter will kill this movement, unless they can regen the movement in the spring (which the Dems will really want)

Every large protest movement is like this.

CoffeeJanitor said:

not at all. this is the movement to finally end the corporatism permeating our economic and social environment in every pore. Don't delegitmate it as a whole because your cousins went, you should be happy they are not just armchair generalling but actually enacting their beliefs regardless of how well 'educated' they may be.

akira28

alstein said:
This has the potential to grow into something special, but there are sillies out there as well.
I suspect General Winter will kill this movement, unless they can regen the movement in the spring (which the Dems will really want)

Every large protest movement is like this.

Lots of protests in areas that don't freeze over in January. Troubles aren't disappearing, Wall Street isn't going anywhere. This isn't over, if anything OWS will be stronger after winter.

Alpha-Bromega said:
not at all. this is the movement to finally end the corporatism permeating our economic and social environment in every pore. Don't delegitmate it as a whole because your cousins went, you should be happy they are not just armchair generalling but actually enacting their beliefs regardless of how well 'educated' they may be.
Okay, how is this going to happen? I'm honestly curious.

alstein

akira28 said:
Lots of protests in areas that don't freeze over in January. Troubles aren't disappearing, Wall Street isn't going anywhere. This isn't over, if anything OWS will be stronger after winter.

I hope you're right, I'm just a natural pessimist on these things. I've seen enough failed change.

I'm with you guys- yeah, I have a job, but I know I'm one decision away from poverty if all goes wrong, despite having a good amount of what the right would call "personal responsibility"

CoffeeJanitor said:
Okay, how is this going to happen? I'm honestly curious.

well first of all; look at the very fact that we are discussing it.

it's finally broken into the collective conscious of our nation, and of the world, and that's the first and most important step. The glaring, empirical facts of corporatism are now known to our people despite corporate media for years trying to hide the fact.

now that we are informed, we have and are voicing our discontent. We are excercising fundamental rights of the democracy to show, basically, we aren't going to take this anymore.

after that? well that's the fun thing about history... we're making it right now man

Alpha-Bromega said:
well first of all; look at the very fact that we are discussing it.

it's finally broken into the collective conscious of our nation, and of the world, and that's the first and most important step. The glaring, empirical facts of corporatism are now known to our people despite corporate media for years trying to hide the fact.

now that we are informed, we have and are voicing our discontent. We are excercising fundamental rights of the democracy to show, basically, we aren't going to take this anymore.

after that? well that's the fun thing about history... we're making it right now man
Right. Again, that's all well and good, but how exactly is showing your discontent going to change anything.

CoffeeJanitor said:
Right. Again, that's all well and good, but how exactly is showing your discontent going to change anything.

The idea is that if we show enough dicontent with those in charge, those in charge will eventually cater to our needs rather than the needs of those with the biggest pockets. It's either that or risk being voted out of being in charge.

Marleyman

Banned
HarryHengst said:
Discontent is the first step to burning capitalists at the stake. Which is the only righteous outcome.

First step is the key here. I don't believe that anything is going to change with just people protesting; the super rich are going to laugh at them, like they have already.

Marleyman said:
First step is the key here. I don't believe that anything is going to change with just people protesting; the super rich are going to laugh at them, like they have already.

That was confirmed to be a wedding, but it has become the coup de resistance photo/video for the movement. Kind of sad.

Marleyman

Banned
teruterubozu said:
That was confirmed to be a wedding, but it has become the coup de resistance photo/video for the movement. Kind of sad.

Link? The video looked even worse. Wedding or not the picture/video is symbolic. They could have avoided the laughing, pointing, pictures, video taking but instead they did all of that.

Enron

Banned
Marleyman said:
Link? The video looked even worse. Wedding or not the picture/video is symbolic. They could have avoided the laughing, pointing, pictures, video taking but instead they did all of that.

Except they weren't bankers. They were people in a wedding party.

alstein said:
https://sites.google.com/site/the99percentdeclaration/

Personally, they should have stopped after point 6, maybe even 5.

The first 5 are integral and what everyone's mad about, 6 I think is really strong, the rest is political.

Some of the later points are recipes for disaster, and I would oppose them strongly despite supporting the 99ers as much as I do.
Glass-Steagall, Dream Act, passage of a bill like the AJA, elimination of corporate tax loopholes are all reasonable.

The EPA point does go a little too far I think.

alstein

Dax01 said:
Glass-Steagall, Dream Act, passage of a bill like the AJA, elimination of corporate tax loopholes are all reasonable.

The EPA point does go a little too far I think.

I agree with some of those points- I just think that those things will not get universal agreement. Corporate tax loopholes would include some legitimate stuff like subsidies for green energy, which is why I oppose that being in there, though I do agree they should take a supermajority to implement.

What I'm saying is that they need to stick to things that won't cause division in the ranks.

Azih

Marleyman said:
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you...... That we've gone from the first to the second is a huge victory. And a lot of them are in full on fight mode already as well.

Secondly the OWS movement is seen positively by the American people and a large point of the movement is that the 1% are arrogant elitist selfish jerks. Having picture/video documentation of that is no in any way a bad thing.

alstein said:
I agree with some of those points- I just think that those things will not get universal agreement. Corporate tax loopholes would include some legitimate stuff like subsidies for green energy, which is why I oppose that being in there, though I do agree they should take a supermajority to implement.

What I'm saying is that they need to stick to things that won't cause division in the ranks.
Maybe. How'd you find out about this? I haven't seen the OWS twitter account tweet about it.

But, you know, this looks more like a rough draft than anything. Something to start debate about.

If there's any serious following about a meeting of some odd 870 delegates in Philadelphia, that would be awesome.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Bad_Boy said:
well this thread is shit again.

since manos is still ignoring what he said...

using the ignore feature doesnt seem like that bad of an idea.

No need to use the ignore feature, a lot of us are just skipping over all of his posts, not reading or responding.

Marleyman said:

So what do you feel needs to happen to bring about the change you want? I am not going to assume you are agreeing with the post you quoted and I hope that is not the case.

Dax01 said:
Maybe. How'd you find out about this? I haven't seen the OWS twitter account tweet about it.

But, you know, this looks more like a rough draft than anything. Something to start debate about.

If there's any serious following about a meeting of some odd 870 delegates in Philadelphia, that would be awesome.

It isn't "official" as it would have to go through the General Assembly. It seems to be a working project of some people involved who presumably will bring it to OWS.

ced

I have not read this thread, and with 90+ pages I'm not going to, but don't these protesters realize they are protesting the wrong group?

They should be occupying D.C.

Sure some (ok a lot) of Wallstreet is responsible for the condition the country is in but it's really a failure of the US government. Not only a failure, but the majority of congress have assisted these corporations and banks in doing what was done. It also still continues because of lack of regulation, or regulations being created by the very corporation that it is supposed to be imposed on.

Anyways, let's occupy D.C...

alstein

Dax01 said:

It's intended to be a rough draft. I found out via Deb Aoki's twitter feed with a discussion about DD/manga and she just threw it in there.

The following is an example of what is called collective embezzlement, when executives and management use the corporations they govern as vessels for their own personal enrichment:

Florida Bank, Used as ATM by Insiders, Won TARP Loan But Now Teeters
by Jake Bernstein
ProPublica

U.S. Century Bank rocketed into being in 2002, with investors pouring in $30 million over three months. Four years later, the Miami-based bank boasted assets of more than $1 billion, had consistently shown a profit, and had won plaudits from banking analysts such as BauerFinancial and glowing reviews from The Miami Herald and other local media.

In 2009, as the financial crisis hit, the bank received a vote of confidence from the federal government when it won a $50.2 million loan under the federal Trouble Assets Relief Program, or TARP -- money earmarked for healthy banks. It was the most TARP money given to a single Florida bank. "This represents an important recognition for U.S. Century Bank as it acknowledges our strength, stability and good standing as a strong and healthy financial institution," said Ramon Rasco, the bank's chairman in a press release announcing the TARP loan.

In fact, U.S. Century was ailing when it received the TARP loan. Today, U.S. Century teeters on the edge of collapse as it operates under an extraordinary consent order, issued in June by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation. Sweeping in scope, the consent order demands an overhaul including changes in top executives, a review of all loans, implementation of a program to guard against money laundering, and an increase in the bank's capital.

The rise and fall of U.S. Century, while certainly more extreme than most banks, exemplifies the fast-and-loose banking culture that led to the financial crisis, which continues to drag down the U.S. and world economy. It also epitomizes both the failure to regulate the banking sector during the pre-crisis boom years and the slipshod approach to the bailout that followed the bust. Above all, it's about losers and winners. The losers are taxpayers and local residents grappling with the ill effects of suburban sprawl. The winners appear to be a group of wealthy and politically connected businessmen who created a bank that served as their own corporate ATM, funneling tens of millions of dollars to ventures in which they had a stake.

"Insider loans" -- loans to directors or officers of the bank -- at their peak exceeded 94 percent of U.S. Century's total equity capital. While high levels of insider lending are not uncommon in the early years of a bank startup, at U.S. Century they continued for years. Many of these loans were for speculative real estate projects, some of which are now defunct or gravely troubled. ...​

http://www.propublica.org/article/florida-bank-used-as-atm-by-insiders-won-tarp-loan-but-now-teeters

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Occupy Wall Street officer Anthony Bologna 'broke pepper-spray rules'

An internal New York Police Department review has found an officer violated department guidelines when he used pepper spray on Occupy Wall Street protesters last month, a source with knowledge of the investigation has told the Associated Press.

Deputy Inspector Anthony Bologna faces losing 10 vacation days after the incident on 24 September incident near Union Square, shortly after the protests began in lower Manhattan, the source said.

Video from the protests shows a small group of mostly women corralled by orange netting used by officers to control crowds. Bologna approaches and seemingly without warning blasted a cluster of women with pepper spray. Two of the women crumple on the sidewalk in pain. One screams.

The incident sparked outrage by demonstrators and a collection of online gawkers who were watching the protests. It also helped propel the movement into the national spotlight.

Video has played an important role in the demonstration in New York, with police and protesters carrying cameras in every encounter.

http://youtu.be/g-eTi5-qNgA
http://youtu.be/moD2JnGTToA

My mom just told me she wants to go to the protest :lol. I haven't been able to go because of work, but I'm planning a trip down in about a week. But I was really shocked that my mom has been thinking about going for a while. She's a retired NY teacher, so she's probably been to some union strikes, but she's not a very political person. I guess the message resonates with her internal sense of fairness. I'll probably drive down there with her and my girlfriend.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I like the sign:

312212_798463421137_39600773_38368434_1344155320_n.jpg

dave is ok

aztek is ok
aronnov reborn said:
Listening to Dave Ramsay now at work... you guys should tune in. schooling all the occupy wall-street callers...
We don't know who he is. I assume he's a big right wing AM DJ in your market

dave is ok said:
We don't know who he is. I assume he's a big right wing AM DJ in your market

At least look the guy up. Not everyone's cup of tea but I do like his stance on taking responsiblity for your own actions and not living outside of your means like a freaking retard on a credit backed rockstar lifestyle.

Flying Toaster said:
At least look the guy up. Not everyone's cup of tea but I do like his stance on taking responsiblity for your own actions and not living outside of your means like a freaking retard on a credit backed rockstar lifestyle.

OWS is trying to hold people financially responsible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom