• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October PSM review of Jak 3 and Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal

Bandicoot

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=rcarsenal&message.id=4308&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

OKAY, WHICH IS BETTER?

C:It's time for the bottom line: how do we score these games, and which one deserves gamers' action/platformer dollar first?

J: Ratchet and Clank gets a 1O because it improves on GC in ever respect, and it has online play, which is really a lot of fun when you've got a bunch of players involved.

C:A 10, huh? Wow! Well, despite the sweet new weapon upgrades and other new features, Jak 3 didn't have the same impact on me as Jak II because it wasn't as fresh- it feels a little too much like extra Jak II chapters. It's still great, don't get me wrong- but maybe not as mind-blowingly fantastic as what came before. It does introduce some cool new elements, and it caps the trilogy nicely. I'll give it a 0- not as much "oomph" as Jak 1 and II, but a must have for action game fans.

J: Ratchet wins, fool!

C:Yeah, yeah - now loan it to me and I'll get you the Jak 3 disc. Weekend, here I come!

JAK 3

PSM SCORE 9.0

Light Eco
+Cool story; hot new gun mods;
lots of variety; fun story and plot twists.

Dark Eco
-Not enough core platformin; story drags at times;
a little too much buggy.

RATCHET AND CLANK UYA

PSM SCORE 10

Omniwrench
+Amazing online multiplayer; great variety;
best set of weapons yet

Monkeywrench
-I suppose the music could be better, but c'mon, how
picky can you get?

AniHawk

a little too much buggy.

Although this is pretty much what the guy said, he meant too much of the buggy (driving). It sounds like reviewers are doing the same to Jak 3 this year the same they did to Jak II last year, so I'll probably skip on it.

I might be buying a BBA for PS2 if the OL multi is that good on UYA.

By "little too much buggy," do they mean there's functionality issues, or are there's too many dune buggies?

edit: oops, thanks AniHawk.

Grey Fox

After playing the first two ratchet and clanks,I've swore off the 3rd one.Each one seems more like a expansion pack than a whole new game.

Mrbob

Insomniac is amazing in how they can churn out something that destroys its predecessor in merely a year. Give this team a couple years to develop a game!

AniHawk

Mrbob said:
Insomniac is amazing in how they can churn out something that destroys its predecessor in merely a year. Give this team a couple years to develop a game!

I second this. And to think last gen they were doing Spyro. What a giant leap forward.

Mrbob said:

It's amazing in how you can judge a game before you played it!!

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
AniHawk said:
I second this. And to think last gen they were doing Spyro. What a giant leap forward.

Don't make me hurt you. Diss the PSX Spyro games and I'll make you play Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
This cover looks better than the one we are going to get here IMHO:

jaquette.jpg

AniHawk

iapetus said:
Don't make me hurt you. Diss the PSX Spyro games and I'll make you play Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly.

Then I warn you not to check my IGN collection page and their ratings.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Feels like Jak 2 extra chapters and still a 9?

Also, let's just ignore those that call the R&C series rehash after rehash. Play the first two games.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Dark Eco
-Not enough core platformin; story drags at times;
a little too much buggy.

lololol

People need to improve their reading skills

belgurdo

Banned
Hated jak II with a vengeance; will skip III unless I hear it's dynamite. Very interested in R&C (especially if it has multiple characters)

Ranger X

Loved Jak1 and 2. I'll have to buy the third even if it's just slightly better than the second.
Rachet 3 looks like a "more missions from Rachet2" + online mode = i will buy because of the online.

I thought Ratchet and Clank 2 was a huge improvement over the first one and is among my favorite games this generation. I'll definately grab Ratchet and Clank 3.
Honestly, though, I didn't love the first R and C. When they introduced the new gadgets for interacting with environments, added strafing, spherical worlds, space shooting stages, vastly improved cinemas, all around superior(far superior) stage designs with some nifty takes on platforming using your gadgets, weapons that level up and change form, armor, levelling up life energy. a faster pace of action, battle arenas, solo clank etc. in the sequel that makes it more than an "expansion pack", and it made Going Commando a game that can be played again and again.

I got bored with the original Ratchet and Clank halfway through, but loved Going Commando. I can't really say why - it wasn't that different, it was just the little things they changed that made it a great game. It was just a lot more polished and better paced and way less repetitive. If they can improve it again for the third one, I'm there.

I'm playing Jak 2 for the first time right now, am 73% done, and I love it. The only thing that annoys me is that the cars are made of lit dynamite (i.e. explode easily), but that just makes you try harder in the missions. The challenge is welcome, as I find platform/adventure games these days are coma-inducingly easy. I'll be there for Jak 3 as well.

It's possible to like the Jak series AND the Ratchet series AND the Sly series AND the Maximo series. Me luvs platformers. It has been my favourite genre since Super Mario Bros and always will be. Heck, I even enjoy fluff like Ty the Tasmanian Tiger. It might be derivative, but it's a fun way to pass a week long rental.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Posted this a day or so ago...Gamespot just put up a video interview with dev of R&C3. Thread dropped like a rock but maybe the info will be more greatly appreciated here:

http://www.gamespot.com/live/stream...283d-871e-2143-62df35d66909&urdate=1099382400

* 29 game areas across 18 worlds
* 2 new gameplay types - only one was mentioned "Battlefield Missions" - sounded like Assault mode from Unreal Tournament
* 20 weapons (15 new) each upgradeable a total of 8 times - 5 times the 1st time through the game, 3 times the 2nd time through.
* 4 player offline splitscreen
* 2 player online splitscreen
* 8 players total online
* Support for clans - 64 members per clan.
* 10 online maps that each support three modes of play - DM, CTF, Siege
* Stat tracking, configurable online game settings, clan challenges

In stores Nov. 2

Top Bottom