• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest

diffusionx

Gold Member
Had the rift s, now a Valve Index. Tracking is def better with lighthouse stations. Not only can you shoot behind your back accurately etc, but the tracking itself is faster and more accurate in all directions.

Beat saber is a good example. In faster songs you can feel the lag between two fast hits. And I often said to myself "that should've been a hit, where did it go?"
But that is just a problem in expert and expert+ imo. And with good timing you can still do it without any errors. But I am much more consistent in beat saber with the index. The rift s was more comfortable though and had much less lens glare. The perfect hmd doesn't exist yet.

Yea - I'm hoping my Rift 1 holds out for a while longer because it feels like we haven't seen a true generational leap from that device yet. That's a bit disappointing. It seems like Oculus is going all in on Quest, HTC's Vive lineup is a mess, maybe Index 2 or something.

Managed to clear the work decks for the day early, so I’m now sat here twiddling my thumbs waiting for the Amazon guy to deliver my Oculus.

giphy.gif
My delivery window is 11:30-3:30. Because Im impatiently waiting I know that means a 7pm drop off.

FunkMiller

Well, it’s very good, isnt it?

A massive step up in visual quality from the PSVR.

Still getting to grips with everything, but Beat Saber is every bit as good, and PistolWhip is great.

I am spending waaaay too much money in the store...

Kagero

Well, it’s very good, isnt it?

A massive step up in visual quality from the PSVR.

Still getting to grips with everything, but Beat Saber is every bit as good, and PistolWhip is great.

I am spending waaaay too much money in the store...
How to you find the comfort? I have that elite strap in my shopping cart at the moment. So close to purchasing it. Perhaps I'll wait until I actually try it with stock headstrap before I jump the gun.

FunkMiller

How to you find the comfort? I have that elite strap in my shopping cart at the moment. So close to purchasing it. Perhaps I'll wait until I actually try it with stock headstrap before I jump the gun.

I’ve bought one. The standard strap is okay, but feels a little front heavy. When tightened it presses your face into the plastic a bit. Not a huge problem at all. I could easily cope with it, but the elite should make it feel more balanced.

Kagero

I’ve bought one. The standard strap is okay, but feels a little front heavy. When tightened it presses your face into the plastic a bit. Not a huge problem at all. I could easily cope with it, but the elite should make it feel more balanced.
I see, thanks man. Maybe I’ll wait for a third party strap. Should be cheaper as well.

CloudNull

Banned
First impressions:

Basic strap is not as bad as I expected. Works for some minimal play sessions. Elite strap is easily worth the money. Makes the headset fit like a glove. Its hard to take headset off while wearing glasses it fits so well.

Controllers are on another level compared to quest one. Triggers buttons and sticks are a massive upgrade. Love the bigger pad for resting my thumb.

Screen.... I am still shocked they got such a great screen in a wireless headset. The boot up with the oculus symbol shows a much smaller screen door effect. It was enough for me to mutter out loud during the boot up.

Still going through updates and installing apps. Im excited to hear people’s opinions who’s first time In vr is now.

Romulus

Yeah first time VR impressions are going to be interesting with Quest 2. Even older, shitty, wired VR headsets blow people away.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Basic strap is not that bad
Biggest flaw so far

i can't connect my freaking xbox one controller (it worked with the quest1)

CloudNull

Banned
I have a little gripe on the controllers. The grab button has no resistance on the quest two. Not a huge deal but I have to retrain my brain not to try and rest my finger on it.

I was playing population one and kept getting stuck. I thought the tracking was jacked up but I kept accidentally grabbing the wall lol. Population one runs so much better in quest 2 btw.

Last edited:

hollams

Gold Member
I have the Rift S, but I really wanted a wireless version so I picked up the Q2 with the elite head strap. I tried the default strap first and didn't like that at all as I could instantly feel the full weight of the headset on the front of my face. I then installed the elite strap and that does a better job but it's still far from perfect, the Rift S is far more comfortable. I also am having a hard time keeping focus as the sweet spot seems pretty small. I tried messing with the 3 different IPD settings and settled on the middle one so maybe my IPD is falling between the set values.

The quality of the screen is great and I really didn't notice any SDE. I was surprised by the sound, I'll def use headphones but it did sounded better than I expected. The touch controllers seem fine as well as I didn't have any issues with tracking.

Yeah first time VR impressions are going to be interesting with Quest 2. Even older, shitty, wired VR headsets blow people away.

First time impressions from flatties are the usual fare: it's blurry AF :messenger_tears_of_joy:

VRgins don't get it that VR is not looking forward at a screen and scanning it all with your eyes - borders of lenses will always be blurry according to optics (specially cheaper lenses for cheaper headsets)

you look around in VR by turning your neck, not your eyes. Once they get this, we get less whiny first impressions...

Apocryphon

Mine should be here on Wed 😊

I'm upgrading from a Quest 1, which I have been using since the DK2.

Quest 1 has been fantastic. Some truly brilliant native games, plus the ability to use Link or Virtual Desktop to run games on my PC. Alyx was mind-blowing and I have been playing and loving Squardons and The Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners. Playing something like Alyx wirelessly using Oculus's inside out tracking was crazy. It feels like this is the next evolution of gaming. I don't like Facebook but I'll put up with it as long as they keep pushing this technology.

CloudNull

Banned
Mine should be here on Wed 😊

I'm upgrading from a Quest 1, which I have been using since the DK2.

Quest 1 has been fantastic. Some truly brilliant native games, plus the ability to use Link or Virtual Desktop to run games on my PC. Alyx was mind-blowing and I have been playing and loving Squardons and The Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners. Playing something like Alyx wirelessly using Oculus's inside out tracking was crazy. It feels like this is the next evolution of gaming. I don't like Facebook but I'll put up with it as long as they keep pushing this technology.
booting up alyx for the first time as i type this using my quest 2. 1gb left to go

Last edited:
Yodel delivered it today, after all, don't think anybody ever expected Yodel of all people to deliver something early.

Early impressions after a few hours of playing around with it; for context, I own like 10 other headsets all the way from the Quest devkit 1 to the Index.

Speakers
Quest 2 speakers are noticable worse than the Quest, both of mine have a bit of an electromagnetic interference hiss to them whenever sound is playing, more so on the left hand side. Not a problem at all in games with the music/sound blazing like Beat Saber, but when chilling in one of the hubs which have the low ambient sounds, or playing on the lowest volume, it's mildly annoying. But even ignoring this, the speakers in general are just a bit crap.

Thankfully plugging in headphones stops the hissing altogether (so hardware issue, not software) and, well, even cheap in-ear headphones sound way better. So yer, consider the built-in speakers as a fall back.

Screen

The new screen is surprisingly hit and miss.

it has a slightly smaller field of vision than the Quest, which is noticable at the top and bottom of your vision. I figured it would be the same or larger, but turns out.. nope.

They've also moved from OLED to LCD which crushes the blacks quite a lot, in brigh games, it's not a big deal, but if you use it for watching media, you no longer get that 'pure black' background option, instead it's just dark grey, and not even very dark grey. I feel like even for an LCD the black levels are sorta shitty.

But the DPI increase is a solid improvement; it's not always noticable - for the first 20 minutes or so using it I wasnt blown away and was questioning if things were actually sharper or if it was just a placebo and powered up ye olde Quest to compare the two. But after using it for a while, there are definitely cases where the resolution increase is very noticable.

it's finally reached the point where virtual PC screens (e.g. Virtual Desktop) actually look better than my real 1080p monitor, and the screen door is, well, it's gone, it's buggered off, that's us done talking about screen door effect when it comes to VR now. So I feel like whilst not the massive improvement I was hoping for, it's enough of an upgrade to hit this new milesone.

YouTube looked no different because the app is shite and 'highest' quality is just whatever YouTube max it out at, which is something stupidly low like 2k video, looks no different than the Quest 1 other than less screen door effect.

But don't forget, it's still a VR screen and therefore still has the various issues you run into with distortion and blooming. It has a weird 'green' bloom to it this time, where it looks like the green pixels are somehow shifted towards the edge of your vision, causing items not in the sweet spot to have a bit a green border around them. What's that shitty effect games sometimes enable that distorts colours to make them look more realistic? it has that!!

Horsepower

Old Quest could play some 5k videos depending on the encoding, new Quest is a beast and can handle 8k/60fps videos without even turning the internal fans on. This combined with the crazy DPI screen is probably the biggest "wow" moment for this headset. I had a 180VR 8k video on and I could actually see the disappointment in her parents eyes and every pore on their skin, it was almost up there with a 4k TV in terms of clarity.

The 6GB of ram also makes the browser worth browsing on, I had some Youtube 1080p videos playing in two side windows, and GAF in the main window, with scenic virtual beach background and scrolling around using the hand detection. Whilst randomly reading shit-posts on here in this VR space, it hit me, "oh shit I'm living in the fucking future" - I've been using VR for yonks so some of that initial wonder is lost on me, but oh boy, folks who pick up a Quest 2 as their first VR experience are going to have their socks well and truely blown off (which comes in handy for those 8k videos I guess).

Games

So there are two types of games here, ones which just automatically benefit from the resolution and CPU/RAM upgrade by looking a bit sharper, and running at a smoother framerate. And ones which have had some TLC put into them to upgrade the assets etc to make the most of the new hardware, there are really not many of the latter yet.

But in things like Wander, you'll notice how you can now read the numbers on the houses due to the higher resolution, like you're wearing a better pair of glasses. And in stuff like The Climb it looks much closer to the desktop version.

The Quest always felt quite under-powered and struggled some what when it game to intense games, and often the art styles felt like it was limited by the devices GPU with a lot of flat shaded games that all looked an AM2 arcade machine title. So far Quest 2 feels like it can actually offer a version (albeit cut down) of the full fat PC titles, maybe my hot take would be Quest was PS2, and Quest 2 is PS3.

Comfort

The strap it comes with is okay, I heard people hating on it quite a bit so expected the worst, but despite feeling cheaper to produce, it's actually no less comfortable than the Quest 1. It did rub a little along the top of my ears (something the older Quest headset wouldn't do) but I could probably have adusted it given time.

the Elite Strap is nice, but not the must have everybody says it is - it still feels somewhat cheap, and the winding mechnism is a lot clunkier than the PSVR headset. It's hard to actually know when it's fully wound or unwound due to the uneven tension it has, hopefully 'over-winding' doesn't damage it. It also has no flex at all, it's solid as fuck, so you can't take the thing off without fully unwinding it at the back first, and even then it's a bit of a tight fit so you have to lift it straight up so you don't hit yourself in the face with it. Where as the cheapo strap it comes with is fully elastic so you can literally just pull it off and on without even adjusting it.

Elite strap was also a pain in the ass to get onto it in the first place, but again, everybody else in the whole world says opposite so maybe that's just me.

My advice - if you're playing intense games for long amounts of time, the elite strap is worth it. if your staying still and watching movies on it, or just playing for short bursts, keep the default strap instead.

The headset is also lighter, doesn't press on the face so much; regardless of the strap you are using.

The "face guard" on this new headset is awesome, lets far less light in at the sides and under the nose. This unfortunately means you can't read your phone by looking down the nose gap, but for immersion its great, barely any light leak from outside sources which was a big issue I had with the original.

Overall

It's cheaper, and in some areas it feels cheaper. But overall it's a step up on the original in the areas that matter the most. For folks who don't have VR, this is the one to get, for folks with the original Quest who are happy with the original Quest, I wouldn't rush to update it just yet, wait until some Quest 2 exclusive games convince you instead.

Last edited by a moderator:

CloudNull

Banned
Holy!

I sincerely hope you have a transformative experience. Tell Jeff I said hi 🙂
3 Chapters in and I am floored.... the scale of City 17.... I was worried everything I read would overhype the game but not at all. It also has the classic Half-Life puzzles. Easily the best quality VR game out.

I am very happy I waited for the Quest 2 to play it. It almost makes me want to get the G2 reverb just to enjoy it in the best resolution possible but I dont think I can ever go back to cables.

People need to play this game.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
First time impressions from flatties are the usual fare: it's blurry AF :messenger_tears_of_joy:

VRgins don't get it that VR is not looking forward at a screen and scanning it all with your eyes - borders of lenses will always be blurry according to optics (specially cheaper lenses for cheaper headsets)

you look around in VR by turning your neck, not your eyes. Once they get this, we get less whiny first impressions...
Too many times I put headset on someone and they just stand there... I need to say. Move your head around like in real life.... They start moving and they don't get it lol

Spukc

I fixed the no controller support by using an otg cable on my quest 2 for now.

3ds games run ok ish.
gamecube games run ok at OG res.
Not really inpressed by this so called power tbh

Techies

I fixed the no controller support by using an otg cable on my quest 2 for now.

3ds games run ok ish.
gamecube games run ok at OG res.
Not really inpressed by this so called power tbh

I think emulators are mostly cpu dependant, so you'll only get around 30% there with emulators.
I want to see how it runs something like Genshin Impact.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Yea - I'm hoping my Rift 1 holds out for a while longer because it feels like we haven't seen a true generational leap from that device yet. That's a bit disappointing. It seems like Oculus is going all in on Quest, HTC's Vive lineup is a mess, maybe Index 2 or something.
So, I have a Rift CV1 and I got this today. I have used a bunch of headsets.

Overall I am genuinely impressed with Quest 2. I'd consider it an improved experience from the Rift, but clearly not a generational one.

• The screens are absolutely fantastic, crisp and clear and screen door is virtually gone. A huge upgrade over the grainy OLEDs in the CV1, and really as good as any headset I have used. It is true that the LCD panels can't get deep blacks, which is certainly noticeable, but the CV1 struggled with this too, and had some noise in black scenes that isn't present here, so I wouldn't count this as a huge negative coming from Rift.
  • Image quality over Link is pretty good. It's not quite native resolution and there is compression but in most situations you'd never notice it. Low contrast scenes where things are blurry can bring out the artifacts, especially grayscale scenes. Hopefully this improves when the Link updates roll out.
  • Tracking is good, more stable than the CV1's tracking. Tracking volume is different, obviously it can't see your hands behind your back or anything but as far as what's in your line of sight the only issues I have had is the inch or so right in front of the heatset, like if you touch your face.
  • Latency is higher than Rift, but it's barely noticeable. I was able to play Beat Saber with no apparent handicap.
  • Stuff runs at 72Hz. I can tell the difference, but it's not a big deal, and this should improve.
  • The weird non-headphone speakers are a step down from the really excellent headphones in the Rift CV1 and the Index, but they're better than expected, a step up from the ones in Go and Rift S.
  • Wish the FOV was better. Feels about the same as Rift or slightly smaller depending on IPD. Index is a huge improvement here.
  • Using the Elite Strap, comfort and weight is comparable to the Rift CV1. I didn't even bother to try the fabric strap. Not as comfortable as PSVR or Rift S, though. I am going to order the replacement foam, the default foam soaks up sweat, and will surely get gross in time just like my CV1 did.
Whether or not improved screens and simplicity of set up is worth $300 to you, I don't know. I am really impressed with the stand-alone experience, it's the first VR product I really feel like I can wholeheartedly recommend to anyone interested in VR whether or not they have a gaming PC.

Last edited:

Kagero

Just got done playing some games. Over all, I liked it. Not blown away though.

Things I like:
- Image quality is great!
- Audio is pretty awesome. I'm coming from PSVR, we didn't have speakers built in to the headset.
- It's cordless! Whoohoo!
- Tracking is light years ahead of PSVR
- room mapping is a god send.

Things I didn't like:
- Very front heavy. Not nearly as comfortable as the PSVR
- FOV isn't great
- controller is slippery and angled. Again, coming from PSVR, I don't find it as comfortable. My wrist contorts uncomfortably when I'm pulling levers and stuff. On the plus side. It's way more functional as a controller because of thumb sticks, and better button lay out.
- They are making me spend money on a better head strap. I mean, you've already created the damn thing. Just make it the default head strap.

The obvious benefit to the Oculus 2 and Oculus 1 is that it's portable and independent of a console or PC. This is probably the biggest reason to own one. If I had the original I don't know if this would be a worthy upgrade. It all depends on what you feel is important. I believe this is a significant step up from PSVR, but ultimately, if you're not impressed with VR to begin with. This won't change your mind.

Last edited:

sixamp

So far the quest 2 is ... Ok 🤷🏻‍♂️.
Only having 3 eye adjustments sucks.

there's a bit of blooming around lights and text.

The speakers sound better than I would have thought

The headset is very comfortable but the basic strap sucks

The controllers are great and so far set up was a breeze.

The app store seems like it has a fair amount of games but on like 6 demos of games.

The display is hit or miss. Sometimes it's great when everything fits together on my exactly right otherwise things get blurry.

For $300 I think it's a nice purchase. My wife played the beat saber demo like 20 times. I guess I have to buy it.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
For folks that are WiFi streaming pc games to your OQ2. What is your set up?

Spukc

for people thinking you need the elite strap.
this is bullshit.

try it out for yourself first then decide.
thinking about canceling my elite batt strap.

massively dissapointed in the standard strap comfort (my elite Battery strap won’t ship till nov) And the smaller screen estate, coupled with the bad blacks.

don't be mad: I can focus on them because of 3D depth, but it's not like the background or close stuff get blurred when I do focus on each other as they do irl

I just know that I cannot focus stuff that's near my face, and I cannot focus stuff that's far away. Like for instance, the mountains in that winter lounge environment you can select for your home space.

It irritates me to no end that I cannot focus on these and this remains blurry. It feels unnatural or like my eyesight being crippled.

I don't blame you if you just don't care about this, but don't act like it must not have to be a deal breaker for other people.

Last edited:

Darko

Just played Dash Dash Racing, it’s basically Mario kart vr.. Pretty fun about to jump online :)

add me: @90sKid

Darko

So, I have a Rift CV1 and I got this today. I have used a bunch of headsets.

Overall I am genuinely impressed with Quest 2. I'd consider it an improved experience from the Rift, but clearly not a generational one.

• The screens are absolutely fantastic, crisp and clear and screen door is virtually gone. A huge upgrade over the grainy OLEDs in the CV1, and really as good as any headset I have used. It is true that the LCD panels can't get deep blacks, which is certainly noticeable, but the CV1 struggled with this too, and had some noise in black scenes that isn't present here, so I wouldn't count this as a huge negative coming from Rift.
  • Image quality over Link is pretty good. It's not quite native resolution and there is compression but in most situations you'd never notice it. Low contrast scenes where things are blurry can bring out the artifacts, especially grayscale scenes. Hopefully this improves when the Link updates roll out.
  • Tracking is good, more stable than the CV1's tracking. Tracking volume is different, obviously it can't see your hands behind your back or anything but as far as what's in your line of sight the only issues I have had is the inch or so right in front of the heatset, like if you touch your face.
  • Latency is higher than Rift, but it's barely noticeable. I was able to play Beat Saber with no apparent handicap.
  • Stuff runs at 72Hz. I can tell the difference, but it's not a big deal, and this should improve.
  • The weird non-headphone speakers are a step down from the really excellent headphones in the Rift CV1 and the Index, but they're better than expected, a step up from the ones in Go and Rift S.
  • Wish the FOV was better. Feels about the same as Rift or slightly smaller depending on IPD. Index is a huge improvement here.
  • Using the Elite Strap, comfort and weight is comparable to the Rift CV1. I didn't even bother to try the fabric strap. Not as comfortable as PSVR or Rift S, though. I am going to order the replacement foam, the default foam soaks up sweat, and will surely get gross in time just like my CV1 did.
Whether or not improved screens and simplicity of set up is worth $300 to you, I don't know. I am really impressed with the stand-alone experience, it's the first VR product I really feel like I can wholeheartedly recommend to anyone interested in VR whether or not they have a gaming PC.
You can hack the quest 2 to run all games in 90hz, not really a hack it’s just changing a setting in the developer mode.. haven’t decided if I’m going to do it yet.

WakeTheWolf

Got mine today. Impressions are good so far. I played a bit of Echo VR. Facebook integration is still shit though. They wouldn't even let me livestream the game on my Facebook lol why even have the option then.

sSVtxhA.jpg

The lens does seem cheaper than the Quest 1 but I really can tell a difference in quality with the screen. The resolution is amazing.

SF Kosmo

You can hack the quest 2 to run all games in 90hz, not really a hack it’s just changing a setting in the developer mode.. haven’t decided if I’m going to do it yet.
I was reviewing Quest as CV1 replacement, so Link is what it is right now.

emmerrei

If it wasn't for the facebook account, it was perfect. Never tried VR, and this price point seems fair. Too bad i have to connect an facebook account to make it working.

SF Kosmo

Yeah Oculus seems to be handling this badly for new facebook users. It seems like some users get autobanned when linking to new accounts with no friends. Not good.

I had already linked my Facebook to my Oculus account, it's not something that bothers me personally but they're making it more of an issue than it has to be. They should just require it for social features and multiplayer like PlayStation or whatever.

Last edited:
this is bullshit.

heard a towel stuck on the back of your head does wonders for better grip and counterweight. If I have any issues, I'm trying that first...

is Radial-G Proteus any good? I know it's Wipeout-like except running down tubes and I really want a native racing game, though options are slim. Never played on psvr the original game...

this game has a nice price of 12 dollars, but it's amazing that so many years later, Superhot is still 24 dollars.

this is the problem with VR to me: 4 years and dozens of headsets later, VR premier games are still pretty much the same. It needs more software than hardware - or at least new expansions to the base games...

Yeah Oculus seems to be handling this badly for new facebook users. It seems like some users get autobanned when linking to new accounts with no friends. Not good.

I had already linked my Facebook to my Oculus account, it's not something that bothers me personally but they're making it more of an issue than it has to be. They should just require it for social features and multiplayer like PlayStation or whatever.

they need friends to help spread love for Quest

fake accounts won't do, they need real people onboard

SF Kosmo

this is bullshit.

I just tried the soft strap. I think it's totally fine for experiences where you're not moving around like crazy. But the Elite Strap is more secure for stuff like dancing or boxing games where you're moving around a lot. Momentum/inertia just makes it slide around too much with the stretchy strap.

But it's better than I expected for sure.

Last edited:

Spukc

I just tried the soft strap. I think it's totally fine for experiences where you're not moving around like crazy. But the Elite Strap is more secure for stuff like dancing or boxing games where you're moving around a lot. Momentum/inertia just makes it slide around too much with the stretchy strap.

But it's better than I expected for sure.
Yeah it got me a bit annoyed when i watched many reviews on the quest2.
And a lot of people seemed like dead on with selling the accessories. Felt a bit disingenuous. I will prolly try out the strap but for quick on quick off the basic strap feels a bit easier

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Yeah it got me a bit annoyed when i watched many reviews on the quest2.
And a lot of people seemed like dead on with selling the accessories. Felt a bit disingenuous. I will prolly try out the strap but for quick on quick off the basic strap feels a bit easier
I am definitely buying the replacement foam though. I got that for my Rift and it was money well spent, and going back was a good reminder of why. The default foam soaks up sweat like a sponge, which makes sharing the thing super gross. And it picks up cat hair and dander like a bitch too, and as someone who is mildly allergic to his own cats, that's a recipe for itchy eyes.

CloudNull

Banned
For folks that are WiFi streaming pc games to your OQ2. What is your set up?
Not sure how technical you want this.

My GPU is 5700xt.
Router is default router from my cable company that has dual band wireless.
Direct connection from my PC to the router then the Quest 2 is connected on the 5ghtz network.

Wireless games are ran through Virtual Desktop which seeds the Sidequest update loaded. Super easy to do and tons of videos showing how to do it.

I spent hours playing Half-Life Alyx wireless yesterday and only had desync when the wife would randomly fire up a new device like streaming Amazon Prime. It would clear out after a few seconds and was able to game while bandwith being routed elsewhere.

Top Bottom