• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Diablo II thread of I can't get enough of this damn game!

Redd

:lol :lol :lol

I'm starting to think Bnet just hates you. I can't remeber the last time I've been temp banned. Here I go into trade games and mule constantly and probably stay a minute or 2 max before I jump to another mule. I did lose a Spirit Monarch once constantly leaving a game when it was on the ground switching between 3 mules. It just up and disappeared for some reason.............string of ears were still there though.

SleazyC

I got temp banned yesterday pretty randomly after doing some MF runs that were each taking longer than 2 minutes a piece. Not sure but if you are muling stuff and get temp banned just toss me a pm on the forums if I am online and I'll try to run in and grab your stuff. Having two keys for the game really is a godsend for muling because a temp ban on one key doesn't effect the other until you exit to the lobby.

SleazyC

Redd said:
I'd help you but I play kind of late at night because I seem to find the best stuff at the time.
You too? That's pretty odd as I find the bulk of my best items pretty late at night. Wonder if its a coincidence or if less players killing the same boss effects drop rates.

ElyrionX

Thanks guys. I appreciate the offers to help though I only play at night (after work) over here and I'm in a completely different time zone so it's quite unlikely that you guys would be online anyway.

And yes, the temp bans recently seem to be really random. I really hope this shit doesn't make it into D3.

Redd

Noob question but whats the fastest way to get to 80+? I've already got 2 characters about 91 the old fashioned way by killing everything that moved Normal-Hell and just don't want to do that for my new guy I'm making.

ElyrionX

Redd said:
Noob question but whats the fastest way to get to 80+? I've already got 2 characters about 91 the old fashioned way by killing everything that moved Normal-Hell and just don't want to do that for my new guy I'm making.

Hardest part is getting from 1 to 25.

I think this was posted in the other D2 thread a while back:

1-15: Tristram runs
15-21: Tomb runs
21-25: Cow runs
25 to 45: Baal runs
45 to 75: NM Baal runs
75+: Hell Baal runs

You need someone to rush you though. Finding rush games on bnet aren't easy these days thanks to the lower volume of people playing.

It took me quite a long time with my new Bowazon to get to her current level 69. I think I took at least 6 to 10 hours because of my difficulty finding rush games and baal-run games. If you're lucky enough to find a normal baal run game that runs for 10+ games, then I suppose you'd make it from 25 to 45 real quick.

The hardest part is the Tomb runs since it is most likely that your character is extremely weak at this point (saving points and if you have no decent low level equipment). Most people only do one Tomb run game to get from 15 to 21 since there are six tombs in a single game to run and that's usually enough to get from 15 to 21. That makes it even harder to find a decent tomb run game with people who can kill the stuff in the tombs fast.

Redd

Thanks for the answer. Yeah I plan on making a Bowazon with this Hellrack bow I've found. It's not worth anything but I got alot of Zon charms so I thought why not.

SleazyC

I'm thinking of making a secondary class to clear tough stuff like Baal's Minions + Baal and Pits because my Blizz sorc can't deal with those immunes/is a glass cannon. Any suggestions? I have a pretty decent amount of gear to make a couple classes but right now I am thinking Summoner (Necro), Trap Assassin, or Bowazon. Need to be able to kill fast and wear at least 250+ MF.

Redd

You know the Answer SleazyC. Might as well get on with it and make that that that.......................Hammerdin. I'm serious, even with crappy gear they're still pretty strong and rarely struggle against immunes.

SleazyC

Redd said:
You know the Answer SleazyC. Might as well get on with it and make that that that.......................Hammerdin. I'm serious, even with crappy gear they're still pretty strong and rarely struggle against immunes.
Really? I was holding off on making a Hammerdin until I could finally get an Enigma + HoTO and other gear but because I have a laptop with another D2 key I can teleport to Baal's Throne and just switch over to my laptop to kill with my Hammerdin. I guess you do have a pretty good point but I was thinking that a Trap Assassin or a Necro could clear out larger packs a bit faster.

Redd

SleazyC said:
Really? I was holding off on making a Hammerdin until I could finally get an Enigma + HoTO and other gear but because I have a laptop with another D2 key I can teleport to Baal's Throne and just switch over to my laptop to kill with my Hammerdin. I guess you do have a pretty good point but I was thinking that a Trap Assassin or a Necro could clear out larger packs a bit faster.

Yes a good Necro and Assassin will clear a large pack of monsters fast but a Hammerdin unfortunately can get through most immunes and of course bosses faster than both. I'm pretty fast with my Necro but when I watch Hammerdins handling Baal it makes me feel a little crappy. True you shuld wait out for an Enigma at least though unless you don't mind legging it everywhere. Don't really need the Hoto that much when you can use a Wizspike until you get the right runes or a good trade.

Anyone want to play w/ a guy starting from about lvl 5? My friend and I finished Blood Raven Quest and will do all quests, map and kill anything that moves generally. Hit me up if you have a new character around lvl 3-7.

ElyrionX

SleazyC said:

I've got no HOTO or Enigma or HOZ but I can clear Chaos Sanctuary solo pretty quickly. Diablo dies in like 15 seconds.

SleazyC

ElyrionX said:
I've got no HOTO or Enigma or HOZ but I can clear Chaos Sanctuary solo pretty quickly. Diablo dies in like 15 seconds.
Hehe... well I guess I'll start leveling my Hammerdin then. I wanted to have all the equipment so I could allocate just the stat points I needed but I guess I'll play around with it a bit.

Redd

Whats the best places to get great rune drops besides hellforge and Countess? I need certain runes and most of the traders in Bnet are being very unreasonable. I just need a some runes you don't need to be jerks about it.

SleazyC

Redd said:
Whats the best places to get great rune drops besides hellforge and Countess? I need certain runes and most of the traders in Bnet are being very unreasonable. I just need a some runes you don't need to be jerks about it.
For high runes your best drop rates would probably be Hell Cows, followed by Trav. Hell Cows is good just because the sheer amount of enemy on the map.

Redd

SleazyC said:
For high runes your best drop rates would probably be Hell Cows, followed by Trav. Hell Cows is good just because the sheer amount of enemy on the map.

..............Nooooo I think I accidently killed the King. Man I never know that Hell Cows would be so easy with a Necromancer. You seem to be right about the runes at least from my memory. Most of my good rune drops and best socketed items were in the Cow Levels. Wish I could use Maphack because it's hard to figure out where the King is sometimes and you only notice him when you see all the electricty going everywhere.

Redd

Give me credit for trying to keep this thread alive guys. Anyway anyone notice how easy it is to get hate keys but Terror and the even rarer Destruction keys rarely drop? I notice that rare occasion the Destrution key drops I get them in groups of 3. I usually get at least 1 hate key every 4 runs and Terror keys 1 in every 10. Thank goodness for Teleportation.:D

SleazyC

Redd said:
Give me credit for trying to keep this thread alive guys. Anyway anyone notice how easy it is to get hate keys but Terror and the even rarer Destruction keys rarely drop? I notice that rare occasion the Destrution key drops I get them in groups of 3. I usually get at least 1 hate key every 4 runs and Terror keys 1 in every 10. Thank goodness for Teleportation.:D
I still get owned by Nihi if I try to run him. Doesn't help that I am a blizz sorc and my merc needs to kill him so I just get corpse-exploded to hell and back. Just need 2 more Dkeys for a full keyset.

Isn't Duriel overpowered on normal? I'm stuck with my lvl 20 pally not getting a fucking dent in, and on top of that, lost all my money in the process. Mercs die in mere seconds.

What the fuck?

Redd

SleazyC said:
I still get owned by Nihi if I try to run him. Doesn't help that I am a blizz sorc and my merc needs to kill him so I just get corpse-exploded to hell and back. Just need 2 more Dkeys for a full keyset.

Nihithack plays to my strengths. I just wait for one body to fall and corpse explosion his ass to hell.:lol

Isn't Duriel overpowered on normal? I'm stuck with my lvl 20 pally not getting a fucking dent in, and on top of that, lost all my money in the process. Mercs die in mere seconds.

What the fuck?

No not really. True you might struggle because you don't have all your skills at your disposal but he was pretty easy with my Necromancer and Druid when I faced him at a lower level. Try wearing an item that prevents your from getting frozen and he should be easier. I'd help you but I tend to play real late at night.

Redd

Well seems like this thread is dead. It was great in the beginning though. About to start on my third character and I think I'll go with a Werebear. Anybody ever make one of these? Any tips would help so post here and let me know.:D

It shouldn't end with me bitching about Duriel, but I have since started a fishymancer and I'm doing much better than before. Having skeletons do all the work for you feels sooo good, well almost.

Redd

Fishymancer are nice and you don't even need the best gear to survive in Hell Mode. Just make sure you put all your skill points in the right place, stand back and enjoy.

SleazyC

I'm still here too :D

Just made a Heart of the Oak (got a perfect 40-res roll too!) and am soooooo close to getting the runes I need to make an Enigma. After that I am going to work on getting a Call to Arms and my Hammerdin will pretty much be done. Pretty sure I'll get around to making an uber Light sorc once I find a Griffon's eye and some 5/5 light facets.

Gumby04

SO i've started a whirlwind barb and am now level 36. I am currently using the full Sigon set. What is the best armor i can have for my level?

SleazyC

I'm still hanging around with my Hammerdin and am gathering gear to make a hybrid Bowazon/Javazon. If anyone needs a rush, diablo clone killer, uber killer - I am always around.

I_D

Redd said:

ElyrionX said:
Hardest part is getting from 1 to 25.

I think this was posted in the other D2 thread a while back:

1-15: Tristram runs
15-21: Tomb runs
21-25: Cow runs
25 to 45: Baal runs
45 to 75: NM Baal runs
75+: Hell Baal runs

You need someone to rush you though. Finding rush games on bnet aren't easy these days thanks to the lower volume of people playing.

It took me quite a long time with my new Bowazon to get to her current level 69. I think I took at least 6 to 10 hours because of my difficulty finding rush games and baal-run games. If you're lucky enough to find a normal baal run game that runs for 10+ games, then I suppose you'd make it from 25 to 45 real quick.

The hardest part is the Tomb runs since it is most likely that your character is extremely weak at this point (saving points and if you have no decent low level equipment). Most people only do one Tomb run game to get from 15 to 21 since there are six tombs in a single game to run and that's usually enough to get from 15 to 21. That makes it even harder to find a decent tomb run game with people who can kill the stuff in the tombs fast.

This is how you do normal rushes (though your levels are a bit off).

You can do a Grush, however, which can get you levels faster than you can blink (literally).
The most I've ever done is go from level 1-84 in a single sitting.

Grushing is sorta hard to explain, so bear with me...

* Before you can enter a new difficulty, you must kill the Ancients and Baal. However, you can trick the system.
* Get a rush from a high-level player to Act 5.
* Enter a game with people who have not killed the Ancients, but are high enough levels to get the quest (25 in Normal, 40 in Nightmare).
* Stand in town in Act 5 (Harrogath) and make sure you're in their party. When they kill the Ancients, you won't get the quest, but the game thinks you actually do.
* Do the exact same thing for Baal. Just stand in town while they complete the quest. This will allow you to enter Nightmare.
* Get rushed again.
* Repeat the above processes to enter Hell.
* Get rushed again to Act 4.
* Enter chaos games and watch your level go up about once per second until level 20.
* Levels 20-25 takes foooooooorever (dunno why).
* Levels 26-60 should take you around 15 minutes or so.
* At level 60, start doing Baal runs.
* You'll be in the 80's before you know it.

SleazyC

The fastest way to lvl from 1-80 is an uber trist lvling run. Requires a full party and a necro who can bone wall as well as 2x hammerdins. You can go from 1-80 in about 2 or some hours. Course you'll need to get grushed to get to act 5 hell but the exp gain is pretty nuts when you are in uber trist at a low level.

Redd

Ahhh the thread lives. So anyone know how to make a good WearBear? What skills should I use and what items would I need? Lets keep the thread alive guys.

Redd

U K Narayan said:
Anyone still playing this? I need people to play this with. Seriously.

US East: Turn_A

Im on the US East but I'm already in Nitemare mode. Won't be starting my Wearbear for a few more weeks.

Anyone still playing D2? I'd been holding out for months for the 1.13 patch but since that's not due to hit for a while and that nostalgic Diablo I v Diablo II on the gaming side pushed me to re-install.

I play on U.S. East and have a Ladder character right now, Skel_Lazarus. A Lvl 25 summoning Necro, just about to assault Act IV.

And gotta love the friendly B.Net public. My very first game:

Me: "Party up?"

Some 14 y/o douche: "Fuck you"

:lol Some things never change....

My fiancee just drug me back into this addiction after 6+ years sober. Dumped my entire weekend...Ah Diablo, how I missed thee.

Gorechylde / xan919 / VvZero_CoolvV (*Ladder) / 51 Blizz Sorc / USEast

Usually playing between 6-12 server time.

Cya in-game.

P.S. Currently in need of a 0-socket or 4-socket Monarch shield to be the willing recipient of my spirit runeword.

I got the itch again last night and created a Paladin to play on b.net. My only real experience with D2 was a Normal solo playthrough with an Assassin who ended up being a level 36 jack-of-all trades what-the-fuck-am-I-doing build, and my level 4 barbarian mule :lol

I've always played solo, but in password locked games on b.net just in case I ever wanted to take my character online. It's kind of a pain to worry about character deletion, but I can't seem to go 90 days w/o playing this game, anyway.

So my first game with my Paladin was me trying to figure out where my party members were and what the loot etiquette for D2 is, and I managed to get to level 6 or 7 and already bungle my skill points into stuff I no doubt don't need. :lol

Live and learn, I guess. Any gaffers playing on b.net these days?

mcrae

im going to start a new character. i played from a couple weeks after 1.09 was introduced, till 1.11. goooood times.

of course now i have no idea whats best to play with... time to go spend a couple hours looking at skill charts! lol

edit: bah, i have 2 expansion cds+cases, but the only copy of diablo2 i have is only cds+sleaves. anyone want to trade a d2 key for a d2 expansion key?

Doodlebug

I've been playing D2X back and forth for a couple of weeks now, and so far I've been enjoying it. I'm a Paladin (well, a Freezadin), currently level 27, now on Act III and trying to find
Khalim's Heart

Once I've gone through single-player I wouldn't mind seeing what B.net's like.

Owensboro

Doodlebug said:
I've been playing D2X back and forth for a couple of weeks now, and so far I've been enjoying it. I'm a Paladin (well, a Freezadin), currently level 27, now on Act III and trying to find
Khalim's Heart

Once I've gone through single-player I wouldn't mind seeing what B.net's like.

Me too. I played a lot of Vanilla D2 back in the day, but never actually played the expansion. I just recently picked up a copy and am playing back through as an Assassin (I have no idea what I'm doing :lol). Once I beat the game solo I'm going to try some b.net. I hope it's not to overbearing what with the game being out for 9 years.

bengraven

Mother fuck. I bought the chest a few years ago and I've installed the game several times, but lost my save in the process.

To make matters worse, the paper CD case with Lord of Destruction's key on it is missing. I wish Blizz's loader wasn't so fucking slow, three hours for less than a gig of software? I mean, granted, I'm downloading the game on my fiancee's crappy laptop, but dammit.

DAMMIT.

I'm so hyped for D3 I need to restart and actually finish this game.

Top Bottom