• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Diablo II thread of I can't get enough of this damn game!

SleazyC

Gumby04 said:
where is the best place to get high level runes... cause i have a 5 socket sword but no runes for it :\

also .. i'm lvl 72 and still getting raped in hell due to the resistance levels.. where can i get good resistance stuff?
High rune drop rates are abysmally low your best bet is to run Hell Forge but in order to do that successfully you really need 2+ Diablo 2 keys to run yourself. Other than that Hell Countess has an ok drop rate on runes up to Ist.

Gumby04

SleazyC said:
High rune drop rates are abysmally low your best bet is to run Hell Forge but in order to do that successfully you really need 2+ Diablo 2 keys to run yourself. Other than that Hell Countess has an ok drop rate on runes up to Ist.

i'd die if i try diablo... i've done the countess and its only OK ... and i almost died... cause my resistances get raped in Hell

any suggestions?

SleazyC

Gumby04 said:
i'd die if i try diablo... i've done the countess and its only OK ... and i almost died... cause my resistances get raped in Hell

any suggestions?
NM Countess drops up some decent mid-runes. If you are looking for Pul+ as I said before your best bet is Hell Forge. Even then it can only drop to Gul and you'll have to cube from there. You'd probably better off MFing for gear that can be traded for runes.

Gumby04

SleazyC said:
NM Countess drops up some decent mid-runes. If you are looking for Pul+ as I said before your best bet is Hell Forge. Even then it can only drop to Gul and you'll have to cube from there. You'd probably better off MFing for gear that can be traded for runes.

ya.. i usually do NM countess.. haven't dont hell forge yet... dont really even know what that is :lol

Redd

SleazyC said:

Wait you can do Hellforge quest multiple times with a character? I always thought you only get one shot at the rune drops.

SleazyC

Redd said:
Wait you can do Hellforge quest multiple times with a character? I always thought you only get one shot at the rune drops.
Nah. That's why I said you needed 2+ D2 keys as you rush a mule through to hell with a high level character and do the forge. I've done it a couple times with my laptop and it really isn't too worth it unless you have 4 keys and you rush 3 mules. 4 instances is what you can run max per ip, wish it was 8 as running 7 mules to forge would be awesome.

Gumby04

SleazyC said:
In Hell its a bitch since you get cold immunes but NM isn't bad and it can drop up to an Um rune I believe.

i know.. wtf... everything is cold immune.. and i'm lightning/cold.. but cold is stronger with orb... so it takes like 2623462346 lightning hits... :(

Redd

Gumby04 said:
i know.. wtf... everything is cold immune.. and i'm lightning/cold.. but cold is stronger with orb... so it takes like 2623462346 lightning hits... :(

Why not just static field them until they're real low in health then finish em off with a strong ligtning attack?

Redd

Gumby04 said:
lightning did NOTHING to him

If he's lightning immune use your cold spells. If he's immune to cold spells and not immune to lightning just keep using Static field until his health is around 1/10 since static field takes off a 1/3 of any enemies health every time you use it, unless they're lighting immune. Just keep using the static field and finish them off with a chain lightning or lightning spell. If they're immune to both, well, your SOL.:D

static caps at 50% health loss in hell and 33% in nm. finding dual immunes of both your elements just mean Ng. i picked up a gul yesterday at hell forge. and got 2 ghost shroud armors, wizardspike (which i cant use yet =( ) and a viperskin magi armor. still trying to figure out what i can get for my gul. my meteor isnt having much problems but i run into stuff when they are fire immune since my orb is up to full juice yet.

ElyrionX said:
I don't know what kind of bots it's supposed to stop because I still see PLENTY of Baal-bots online and it's not as if these guys are trying to hide the fact that they are in fact, bots.

I'd argue that the system is poorly designed simply because of the fact that so many legitimate players get irked by it constantly. What's more, the last time, I actually switched rapidly among my characters at least eight times before getting temp banned but this time it was only four times. It wasn't within my expectations and it doesn't seem to be predictable.

The least they could do is provide some ingame system that gives you a warning before they temp ban you. That would actually be a much friendlier system to newbies. Letting people find out for themselves the hard way is just not ideal in any kind of circumstance.
Man turn off the whines seriously.

Its been like this for years.. if you just noticed this 30 pages in the thread you should have been wary.. Just because it happened 8 logins later for you last time doesnt mean it will be the same.. they do that on purpose.

Like I said Pindle and Shenk bots is what it stops.. those runs take like 15-20 secs and they use to be a big issue.. Not so much anymore.

It makes perfect sense. Yes their are still baal bots out their but they usually are in 8 player games and people just ride on their shoulders for easy levels.. They have just as good of a chance to get loot as many others in that game.

Redd

Shinz Kicker said:
static caps at 50% health loss in hell and 33% in nm. finding dual immunes of both your elements just mean Ng. i picked up a gul yesterday at hell forge. and got 2 ghost shroud armors, wizardspike (which i cant use yet =( ) and a viperskin magi armor. still trying to figure out what i can get for my gul. my meteor isnt having much problems but i run into stuff when they are fire immune since my orb is up to full juice yet.

Hmmm they must have changed it from when I use to run a sorc. I use to Static Field Diablo down to about a 1/3 of his health then finish him off with a powerful lightning attack. To bad he doesn't have an infinity cause that would help him alot.

ElyrionX

TurtleSnatcher said:
Man turn off the whines seriously.

Its been like this for years.. if you just noticed this 30 pages in the thread you should have been wary.. Just because it happened 8 logins later for you last time doesnt mean it will be the same.. they do that on purpose.

Like I said Pindle and Shenk bots is what it stops.. those runs take like 15-20 secs and they use to be a big issue.. Not so much anymore.

It makes perfect sense. Yes their are still baal bots out their but they usually are in 8 player games and people just ride on their shoulders for easy levels.. They have just as good of a chance to get loot as many others in that game.

You call this whining? I know it's a great game and all and you love it to death and can deal with all the crap that Blizzard throws at you but defending shit like this is just blind faith. Making legit players learn about things like that the hard way is not a good solution. Right after I lost the Pul, the guy I was supposed to be trading the Pul to said he lost an Um that way in the past. Evidently, it's a common punitive experience among many users.

It does not make "perfect" sense and never will. Just because you're used to eating shit doesn't mean the rest of us have to. The simple fact of the matter is that Blizzard implemented a highly flawed solution to a problem. Despite the fact that the solution has been implemented for so many years already, you still see a significant number of threads created by users with regards to the issue on the battle.net technical issues forums. If that's not a sign of a shitty system, I don't know what is.

hclflow

ElyrionX said:
You call this whining? I know it's a great game and all and you love it to death and can deal with all the crap that Blizzard throws at you but defending shit like this is just blind faith. Making legit players learn about things like that the hard way is not a good solution. Right after I lost the Pul, the guy I was supposed to be trading the Pul to said he lost an Um that way in the past. Evidently, it's a common punitive experience among many users.

It does not make "perfect" sense and never will. Just because you're used to eating shit doesn't mean the rest of us have to. The simple fact of the matter is that Blizzard implemented a highly flawed solution to a problem. Despite the fact that the solution has been implemented for so many years already, you still see a significant number of threads created by users with regards to the issue on the battle.net technical issues forums. If that's not a sign of a shitty system, I don't know what is.

Okay, maybe it wasn't whining before, but THIS IS. You know what the deal is now, so stop with the whiny bs and deal with it.

The system's been around for years and if you've ever put substantial time into the game you'd know it's there. You learned the hard way -- it sucks. Wanna know what I lost years ago when they started doing it? A Windforce, among other things. Now THAT sucked. I cussed up a storm and got over it. It is what it is. TurtleSnatcher, you're not helping things either.

Now stop shitting up this thread with the petty bs. Thanks.

ElyrionX

hclflow said:
Okay, maybe it wasn't whining before, but THIS IS. You know what the deal is now, so stop with the whiny bs and deal with it.

The system's been around for years and if you've ever put substantial time into the game you'd know it's there. You learned the hard way -- it sucks. Wanna know what I lost years ago when they started doing it? A Windforce, among other things. Now THAT sucked. I cussed up a storm and got over it. It is what it is. TurtleSnatcher, you're not helping things either.

Now stop shitting up this thread with the petty bs. Thanks.

Fair enough, at least you're not defending this crap and claiming that it makes "perfect sense". I was just cussing up my own storm, that's all.

Makes perfect sense to me.. Pindlebots were a humongous issue in the past and turning off that feature would just allow people to begin using them again. It is what it is.. Deal with it.. get on with your life.. I've had items I've dropped in a game so I could mule including Stormshields and Shaftstops and Shakos a few years ago .. then BNET would crash and no one would be able to log in.. I'd cuss up a storm and complain but got over it within a few hours..

Not a few days..

And now I'm done :)

my gul and lem, got me a 127 shako, occy, pul, and tals belt tonight and mfing has been good. i can now do andy, meph and pindle runs with relativ ease.

Redd

Woot Woot, the Countess dropped an Um rune. It's been so long since she's dropped anything good for me.:D

what do you run countess as. im meteorb, so the one time a ran her in hell she was fire and cold immune, so i was like What the FUCK. i havent tried her since. meteor kils andy it 2-3 hits meph is easy as pie, pindle is a joke now. eldricht and shenk kinda suck since my orb isnt up to full yet so i dont have a lot of crowd control if they are fire immune. mfing is getting pretty fun though. i have 263 now, and i dont have tals armor or ammy yet or an enigma, but i am at +10 fire skills so that helps and i have 299 weapon swicth but i lose +5 to all skill points.

Shinz Kicker said:
what do you run countess as. im meteorb, so the one time a ran her in hell she was fire and cold immune, so i was like What the FUCK. i havent tried her since. meteor kils andy it 2-3 hits meph is easy as pie, pindle is a joke now. eldricht and shenk kinda suck since my orb isnt up to full yet so i dont have a lot of crowd control if they are fire immune. mfing is getting pretty fun though. i have 263 now, and i dont have tals armor or ammy yet or an enigma, but i am at +10 fire skills so that helps and i have 299 weapon swicth but i lose +5 to all skill points.
I let my Merc kill Countess.

I'm Meteo/Orb as well.. My Orb is at lvl 38 my Meteor is at lvl 39.. fireball is at lvl 39..

Fire Mastery is at 38 or 39 and Frozen Mastery is at 27 or 28

I teleport past the room in front of her and go right into her room.. they then rush me.. I shoot a 2 or 3 fireballs and clear her minions.. then other minions I just orb to death.. My merc usually just stays on her.. a few statics.. watch and he kills her in 5 seconds.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
Oh jesus christ, I feel so fucking stupid. I can't believe my bad luck. Rushed a guy for forge that quit right before forge with the acc name "Stevenforer", his English was really rough and he seemed kinda thick. Anyway after whispering some shit to him and stalking him a bit I start running other people, and after a couple of runs I run this assassin at 58, nice, well spoken, talkative. And then at a4 he's like "christ, I really have to go take a shit, do you mind? will be quick", and after I go something like "uhh ok" the fucker quits, and lo and behold his acc name is Stevenforer. Fuck fuck fuck fuck.

I fucking need an ist so bad right now ugh.

Gumby04

I am a lightning/cold sorceress. What is the BEST armor and items to use

I currently have full set of tal's, low lvl nagel ring. chance gloves, some random boots, raven ring, and sanc shield.

... and an Occy i don't use..

anyone know where i can find a Hellfire charm?

Redd

Shinz Kicker said:

I'm a fishymancer. I just teleport to her let my army of skeletons or merc kill one and corpse explosion the rest. Fast and easy and I never have to get in the heat of the battle ever. Never struggle in the least key running Nihalthak either.

anyone know where i can find a Hellfire charm?

Kill the uber Diablo, Mephisto, and Baal in Tristam. You need 3 keysets to get the 3 organs to open the Portal to get to them.

SleazyC

firex said:
why would you not use occulus? it's the best sorc weapon, period.
Depends on your build. A Death's Fathom with a 5/5 Cold Facet I think is a better weapon for a Blizz sorc. Lightning Sorc' like using perfect Eschuta's with a Light facet. Occy is good but I don't know if it's the best sorc weapon.

Gumby04

Redd said:
I'm a fishymancer. I just teleport to her let my army of skeletons or merc kill one and corpse explosion the rest. Fast and easy and I never have to get in the heat of the battle ever. Never struggle in the least key running Nihalthak either.

Kill the uber Diablo, Mephisto, and Baal in Tristam. You need 3 keysets to get the 3 organs to open the Portal to get to them.

aww gay.. no wonder nobody will trade me one... and they cost 100 bucks on d2items.com

ElyrionX

So yesterday was a good day. Managed to trade my Um for a 133 Shako and finally made my Spirit with +33 res Heraldric Shield. Not the most ideal shield for a pally's Spirit but it will do for now.

Anyway, while trading for the shako, some guy tried to scam me by doing the item switch again (I fell for it some time ago and lost some stuff and posted about it in this thread). Why must people be such assholes?

Anyway the the guy's character name is Poudreuse and his account name is Monty_Burns. So just keep a lookout.

Redd

Gumby04 said:
aww gay.. no wonder nobody will trade me one... and they cost 100 bucks on d2items.com

There's an easier way than spending money or trading stuff to get a torch. Just do key runs constantly. Heck even the worst players can get 3 keys in enough runs to get an organ. Just keep at it, that's what I had to do get my torch.

Anyway, while trading for the shako, some guy tried to scam me by doing the item switch again (I fell for it some time ago and lost some stuff and posted about it in this thread). Why must people be such assholes?

Bnet is just like real life. Everybody tries to get something for nothing. That's why it's best to not trust anyone unless you really know them. Just last week some Paladin tried to scam me for my Necro torch when we were trading. Since you have to drop torches to trade he had someone else come in the second I dropped mine and he tried to grab my torch. I got lucky since I was closer and the first guy couldn't grab mine because he was still carrying his Ptorch. After enough close calls and attempted scams I've come to expect these sort of things on Bnet.

SleazyC

Redd said:
Bnet is just like real life. Everybody tries to get something for nothing. That's why it's best to not trust anyone unless you really know them. Just last week some Paladin tried to scam me for my Necro torch when we were trading. Since you have to drop torches to trade he had someone else come in the second I dropped mine and he tried to grab my torch. I got lucky since I was closer and the first guy couldn't grab mine because he was still carrying his Ptorch. After enough close calls and attempted scams I've come to expect these sort of things on Bnet.

ElyrionX said:

That's why I like doing the majority of my trades through dii.net since you have feedback and have smaller chances to get screwed over. The only downside is that you usually have much lower prices when compared to bnet.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
The best Sorc weapon is a blue orb with +3 lightning skills/+3lightning/+3chain lightning/+3lightning mastery and two sockets with two 5/5 light die facets. It will go for about 50 high runes. :p

hclflow

Hey, when firex speaks, you all should listen. I mean, this is the same guy who showed us the light about not needing max block unless you're a pally!

Gumby04

Redd said:
There's an easier way than spending money or trading stuff to get a torch. Just do key runs constantly. Heck even the worst players can get 3 keys in enough runs to get an organ. Just keep at it, that's what I had to do get my torch.

i fairly new to this game.. but how do i do key runs? and wat do i do with keys? getting these keys will help me get a hellfire charm?

Gumby04

trh said:
The best Sorc weapon is a blue orb with +3 lightning skills/+3lightning/+3chain lightning/+3lightning mastery and two sockets with two 5/5 light die facets. It will go for about 50 high runes. :p

the occy is better than that.. cause it gives +3 to ALL sorceress skills.. and not just lightning specific... ya its not socket oriented but who needs it with stats like that

Returners

i need some idea how valuable pgems are and stuff...

how many pgems for 1 high lvl rune?
how many pgems for tal's ammy?

hclflow

Lately I've been getting quite a few PMs asking about item values and what to trade things for. I'm all about helping out, but if you teach someone to fish, he'll be fed for life.

http://forums.d2jsp.org/index.php?showtopic=21431068&f=169

This is the guide that I reference for pricing in D2. Everything is listed in forum gold (fg). Just realize all things are relative and you'll have a base understanding of the value of most important items in the game. The list is abbreviation-heavy, but don't let that intimidate you. If you feel lost just PM me or post here.

Also, the list is updated every couple days to reflect the evolving economy, so be sure to visit the containing forum to check for updates. It's the second sticky on the forum.

Gumby04 said:
i fairly new to this game.. but how do i do key runs? and wat do i do with keys? getting these keys will help me get a hellfire charm?

Key runs are games in which your goal is to collect keysets from three specific monsters in the game for running what is called Uber-Tristam.

The following monsters drop keys:

- The Countess (Key of Terror): Act 1, Black Marsh, Tower Cellar 5
- The Summoner (Key of Hate): Act 2, Arcane Sanctuary
- Nihlathak (Key of Destruction): Act 5, Nihlathak's Temple, Halls of Vaught

You can find info on the entire process of running Uber-Tristam here.

http://forums.diii.net/showthread.php?t=372426

It's not an easy task, and there are very specific builds that are most successful in doing it. Being new to the game, you may not want to mess with it yet, but I leave it to you. If you manage to collect three keysets, I'll help you collect the organs, kill the ubers and give you the torch that drops. It's never guaranteed to be for any specific class, but you could probably trade for one you need if it's decent enough.

Same goes for anyone: If you collect a full organ set and need someone to help with ubers, just hit me up. The Diggler Burk is ready for action.

I will not collect keys for you. That's grunt work, and I do enough of it for my own benefit, thanks!

Gumby04 said:
the occy is better than that.. cause it gives +3 to ALL sorceress skills.. and not just lightning specific... ya its not socket oriented but who needs it with stats like that

Many sorc build focus on a single element for massive damage. A stacked lit sorc with an infinity merc is a ridiculous killing machine.

The orb trh is talking about gives +6 to chain lighting and lightning, which are a lit sorc's main methods of killing, so that's nothing to sneeze at. +6 to lit mastery is also quite a damage boost. And with two 5/5 lit facets (unique jewels that give +5 element damage and -5 enemy resistance), you have an incredible weapon which far outclasses the occy, or any other unique sorc weapon, for that matter.

Returners said:
i need some idea how valuable pgems are and stuff...

how many pgems for 1 high lvl rune?
how many pgems for tal's ammy?

I don't think pgems are applicable for trading for high runes and tal ammys yet. Still too early in the ladder season. Most folks aren't rolling focused on cubing a bunch of stuff yet. Visit the link further up in my post for ideas on trade values.

Gumby04

hclflow said:
Lately I've been getting quite a few PMs asking about item values and what to trade things for. I'm all about helping out, but if you teach someone to fish, he'll be fed for life.

http://forums.d2jsp.org/index.php?showtopic=21431068&f=169

This is the guide that I reference for pricing in D2. Everything is listed in forum gold (fg). Just realize all things are relative and you'll have a base understanding of the value of most important items in the game. The list is abbreviation-heavy, but don't let that intimidate you. If you feel lost just PM me or post here.

Also, the list is updated every couple days to reflect the evolving economy, so be sure to visit the containing forum to check for updates. It's the second sticky on the forum.

Key runs are games in which your goal is to collect keysets from three specific monsters in the game for running what is called Uber-Tristam.

The following monsters drop keys:

- The Countess (Key of Terror): Act 1, Black Marsh, Tower Cellar 5
- The Summoner (Key of Hate): Act 2, Arcane Sanctuary
- Nihlathak (Key of Destruction): Act 5, Nihlathak's Temple, Halls of Vaught

You can find info on the entire process of running Uber-Tristam here.

http://forums.diii.net/showthread.php?t=372426

It's not an easy task, and there are very specific builds that are most successful in doing it. Being new to the game, you may not want to mess with it yet, but I leave it to you. If you manage to collect three keysets, I'll help you collect the organs, kill the ubers and give you the torch that drops. It's never guaranteed to be for any specific class, but you could probably trade for one you need if it's decent enough.

Same goes for anyone: If you collect a full organ set and need someone to help with ubers, just hit me up. The Diggler Burk is ready for action.

I will not collect keys for you. That's grunt work, and I do enough of it for my own benefit, thanks!

Many sorc build focus on a single element for massive damage. A stacked lit sorc with an infinity merc is a ridiculous killing machine.

The orb trh is talking about gives +6 to chain lighting and lightning, which are a lit sorc's main methods of killing, so that's nothing to sneeze at. +6 to lit mastery is also quite a damage boost. And with two 5/5 lit facets (unique jewels that give +5 element damage and -5 enemy resistance), you have an incredible weapon which far outclasses the occy, or any other unique sorc weapon, for that matter.

I don't think pgems are applicable for trading for high runes and tal ammys yet. Still too early in the ladder season. Most folks aren't rolling focused on cubing a bunch of stuff yet. Visit the link further up in my post for ideas on trade values.

i do countess runs all the time .. usually for runes.. but i will keep an eye out for keys...are they green or yellow items?

as far as the orb.... +6 is a different story... he said +3 .. i'm a lightning sorc.. and +6 would be sweet .. probably impossible to find huh

hclflow

Gumby04 said:
i do countess runs all the time .. usually for runes.. but i will keep an eye out for keys...are they green or yellow items?

as far as the orb.... +6 is a different story... he said +3 .. i'm a lightning sorc.. and +6 would be sweet .. probably impossible to find huh

Keys are plain white items.

And he gave the item stats correctly, but keep in mind it was +3 lit skills AND +3 lit/chain lit/lit mastery, so it's effectively +6 to those three skills. Even without the two lit facts socketed, I still say it's better than an occy. As far as the rarity, you're not gunna find one of that type very often at all, but there's a cube recipe that you can use to transmute magical items to a different one of the same type (three pgems + magical item).

To get that kind of item to spawn though, you have to be a certain level. I think it's level 84 to get +3 skills mod to drop? Anyone can feel free to correct me on that. Anyhow, if an orb dropped that you knew was at least the item level needed to have +3 skills, you could theoretically cube it until you got what you wanted, but you may burn through a huge pile of pgems to get it. :p

Gumby04

hclflow said:
Keys are plain white items.

And he gave the item stats correctly, but keep in mind it was +3 lit skills AND +3 lit/chain lit/lit mastery, so it's effectively +6 to those three skills. Even without the two lit facts socketed, I still say it's better than an occy. As far as the rarity, you're not gunna find one of that type very often at all, but there's a cube recipe that you can use to transmute magical items to a different one of the same type (three pgems + magical item).

To get that kind of item to spawn though, you have to be a certain level. I think it's level 84 to get +3 skills mod to drop? Anyone can feel free to correct me on that. Anyhow, if an orb dropped that you knew was at least the item level needed to have +3 skills, you could theoretically cube it until you got what you wanted, but you may burn through a huge pile of pgems to get it. :p

good.. them i'm almost there... i'm 81 now.. after last night.. started at lvl 74 .. then just did baal runs for 2 hrs... haha.. i've seen her drop hella keys but never pick them up... i hope it wasn't the keys i needed :(

also.. pgems take forever to make.. cause they never drop... at least flawless jems drop for now

Redd

Gumby04 said:
good.. them i'm almost there... i'm 81 now.. after last night.. started at lvl 74 .. then just did baal runs for 2 hrs... haha.. i've seen her drop hella keys but never pick them up... i hope it wasn't the keys i needed :(

also.. pgems take forever to make.. cause they never drop... at least flawless jems drop for now

You'll know they're the type of keys you need if it says Terror key for the Countess. The Summoner drops Hate Key and Nihalthak drops the Destruction Key. You need all three keys to open a Portal to fight a boss that will drop an organ. You need 3 different organs to open a portal to fight ubers.

Returners

hclflow said:

so what does Pgems value in terms of forum gold?

hclflow

Returners said:
so what does Pgems value in terms of forum gold?

Pgems are not charting on the price list yet because their value is trivial at this point in the ladder season. If you stockpile them they'll be worth more later, but not a whole lot. Like 40xpgems for 10fg or something. Just a prediction.

This isn't to say you won't be able to get someone to trade some gear or runes for pgems... it just may take you a long time to find someone to bite, and it'll likely come at a hefty cost in pgems.

Gumby04

Redd said:
You'll know they're the type of keys you need if it says Hate key for the Countess. The Summoner drops Terror Key and Nihalthak drops the Destruction Key. You need all three keys to open a Portal to fight a boss that will drop an organ. You need 3 different organs to open a portal to fight ubers.

oh .. so the white text actually says "hate key" "terror key" destruction key" ...

do people ever party up to do this together?

Top Bottom