• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

zoku88

This is interesting

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/15478

Not quite. DigiTimes posted some fresh AMD rumors this morning, and it has a slightly different story to tell. The site claims two 45nm Socket AM2+ Phenoms are indeed coming, but they'll show up at the end of this year and feature clock speeds in the 2.6-3GHz range. Surprisingly, the report goes on to say a batch of four 45nm, Socket AM3 Phenoms will follow in early January 2009.

So, how long did AM2 last?

It's about 2.5 years.

lachesis

Hazaro said:
Definitely, the Q6600 after the price drop was and still is an amazing chip, especially since you can find em used for $140.

If it was a G0 would you not swap? Selling it after a few years means it'll be worth like $40 or something either way :lol Just 3.0 or 3.2 instead of 3.6 ;)

Doesn't matter for gaming (except Supreme Commander)

Well, I'd love to have G0, for sure. I was kicking around when I found out my Q6600 was not G0... :( Probably would give me a peace of mind in terms of temps at least, and perhaps a bit of bragging rights as well...

This main computer is my first build ever, and one of the reason that I convinced my wife for building one was that I'll be taking control of upgrading, unlike my 6 yr old dell, which I couldn't do anything I wanted.

As you said probably in a couple of years, i might be lucky to sell this chip for 40 bucks - but that's probably same for all the other cpus anyhow. Always newer, faster, and cooler chips will come out - and 40 dollars is definitely better than nothing.

I think I'll be keeping my B3 Q6600 as 3.0 ghz at 333x9 multi for now. I tried 400x8, but I've been getting some BSODs w/o overvolting it towards 1.36+ v, and while I'm fine with the overvolting the chip itself slightly, the temp is going past 70s way too easily. LOL!

I'm currently testing now at 333x9, and it's at 100% load for past 30 min or so - and temp is hovering around 63-7c at the hottest core0. I assume in around 24 hours, maybe it will max out around 68or 69... hope it won't damage the chip, but oh well.. I guess that's the risk that any OC'ers would have to take for himself. I think this might be the most I could push at the moment... and since it's still at least around 25% gain, I'm pretty satisfied. (but that 3.2 ghz sounds... so much faster, LOL!)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
lachesis said:
Well, I'd love to have G0, for sure. I was kicking around when I found out my Q6600 was not G0... :( Probably would give me a peace of mind in terms of temps at least, and perhaps a bit of bragging rights as well...

I think I'll be keeping my B3 Q6600 as 3.0 ghz at 333x9 multi for now. I tried 400x8, but I've been getting some BSODs w/o overvolting it towards 1.36+ v, and while I'm fine with the overvolting the chip itself slightly, the temp is going past 70s way too easily. LOL!

I'm currently testing now at 333x9, and it's at 100% load for past 30 min or so - and temp is hovering around 63-7c at the hottest core0. I assume in around 24 hours, maybe it will max out around 68or 69... hope it won't damage the chip, but oh well.. I guess that's the risk that any OC'ers would have to take for himself. I think this might be the most I could push at the moment... and since it's still at least around 25% gain, I'm pretty satisfied. (but that 3.2 ghz sounds... so much faster, LOL!)

It's all good, I've dumped 1.5V in my 45nm chips, you won't kill them that easily, ran 1.6V overnight on my E6600 also. CPU's aren't flaky little things. ;)

I feel the same thing running at 3.8Ghz instead of 4.0Ghz, but I've gotten over it.:lol

botkiller

I ordered another hard drive last week (my 3rd) and now I'm getting frustrated with the working space in my current case (Centurion 5). So, I'm looking for a case that has a lot of room in it and preferably has side-facing internal 3.5" bays, such as the Sonata III.

I would just buy that case, but it comes with a power supply that I don't really need and I was hoping to get a case where the power supply mounts at the base. I found another Coolermaster that meets both of those requirements, but I'm not sure whether to go with it or the Sonata III. Any advice?

Also, I have heard that side-facing hard drive bays are a pain in that you need to remove both sides of the case to install a new hard drive. If this is true, what case would you recommend that has ample space for 3 hard drives, a single slot video card, and a full ATX motherboard? I'd like to keep it under $100.

lachesis

botkiller said:
I ordered another hard drive last week (my 3rd) and now I'm getting frustrated with the working space in my current case (Centurion 5). So, I'm looking for a case that has a lot of room in it and preferably has side-facing internal 3.5" bays, such as the Sonata III.

I would just buy that case, but it comes with a power supply that I don't really need and I was hoping to get a case where the power supply mounts at the base. I found another Coolermaster that meets both of those requirements, but I'm not sure whether to go with it or the Sonata III. Any advice?

Also, I have heard that side-facing hard drive bays are a pain in that you need to remove both sides of the case to install a new hard drive. If this is true, what case would you recommend that has ample space for 3 hard drives, a single slot video card, and a full ATX motherboard? I'd like to keep it under $100.

Antec P182..

Well.. it's not exactly under 100 - but I saw this a few days ago and was selling at 99 dollars. Now back to around 120.

I have this case for my main rig - and I just love the whole thing. It was quite painful to really put together due to the wiring, and it was my first build - but all the wires are all neatly tucked away opening up the airway.

You can install the HDDs on the bottom shack, sideways. And You can take out the entire bay by pulling it out towards you - the trick is, you have to disconnect the SATA and SATA power cable first, and re-connecting it might be a bit tricky due to its "chamber" design.

And... it's got the psu mount on the bottom.

Even older version P180 might work good for you.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129025&Tpk=Antec P182

edit: P182 - HDD mounts vertically, not side ways. LOL! After seeing below CM 690, I realized what you meant. :D CM 690 might be the case of your choice, really though.

SRG01

zoku88 said:
You know, about socket AM3, I completely forgot about it :lol :lol

Was Deneb using that the whole time?

That's the thing that I can't get straight from the article. From what I've read, I think Deneb is on AM2+. However, that article seems to imply that Deneb is coming sooner than January and AM3 Deneb is coming out in January.

God, I'm so confused. I think I just might go with the E5200 out of spite. :lol

Duke Togo

I need GAF's 2 cents on this decision. I'm putting together a new system, and I'm sort of at a crossroads choosing a video card. I'm considering this one:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=29030

EVGA E-GEFORCE 9800GX2 600MHZ 1GB 2.0GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDMI HDCP Video Card

...but all I really intend to play over the next year or so is dawn of war 2, and probably starcraft 2 and diablo 3. Am I going overboard with that card? I wouldn't mind not having to worry about a card for a while, but on the other hand I could put the money towards a new monitor or something if I go the cheaper route. Could I get away with a cheaper 8800gt or something? I'd be pairing it with an Intel E8400 and a couple gigs of ram. Thanks guys! :D

Cheeto

Duke Togo said:
I need GAF's 2 cents on this decision. I'm putting together a new system, and I'm sort of at a crossroads choosing a video card. I'm considering this one:

EVGA E-GEFORCE 9800GX2 600MHZ 1GB 2.0GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDMI HDCP Video Card

...but all I really intend to play over the next year or so is dawn of war 2, and probably starcraft 2 and diablo 3. Am I going overboard with that card? I wouldn't mind not having to worry about a card for a while, but on the other hand I could put the money towards a new monitor or something if I go the cheaper route. Could I get away with a cheaper 8800gt or something? I'd be pairing it with an Intel E8400 and a couple gigs of ram. Thanks guys! :D
I'd wait and build the machine when at least one of those games is out.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Duke Togo said:

A 9800 GX2 is an extremely powerful card, arguably the second most powerful card on the market (slightly ahead of the 280 in a lot of cases, and behind the 4870x2). It's an excellent value at the price.

While it's true we don't yet know the requirements for Diablo 3 or StarCraft 2, I think it's fairly safe to say that, based on Blizzard's philosophy on graphics, the 9800GX2 will kick all sorts off ass. Scoop one up before they're all gone.

Vorador

Banned
Duke Togo said:

I would rather buy a single 4870. It probably would suffice for the games you want to play, and you would be able to upgrade easily and less painful (less money wasted) in case you need something more powerful in the near future.

Spy

The 1GB ATI Radeon HD 4870 is finally out on Newegg. I'm finally going to place an order on the PC I've been waiting to build. I'll be using Windows Vista Ultimate x64 and gaming on a 1920x1080 monitor.

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284

CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX 620W Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139002

POWERCOLOR ATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131120

Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 Wolfdale 3.33GHz Dual-Core Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115054

ASUS Maximus II Formula Intel P45 Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131319

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Desktop Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145197

Hoping I'll be able to run all the latest games on max settings for awhile.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
From an all-around standpoint (or do graphics cards have any bearing on stuff like video encoding, digital art, etc.?) which of these is the most powerful card? I've looked at the tomshardware charts, and it seems like 9600<8800<9800, depending on the suffix though. The 9600's price is nice, but if I can get something that's absolutely worth the ~$40 more, I'd probably go for it.

PNY VCG96512GXEB GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail $94.99 (This is the one that someone recommended earlier in the thread at the ~$100 range. Newegg appears to carry a bonus box for $11 that includes Frontlines: Fuel of War as well.)

EVGA 512-P3-N801-AR GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail $119.99 after MIR (Has a $30 MIR that would bring it to just $25 more than the 9600. There's also one that would be $5 more that looks identical except that it includes something called AKIMBO cooling.)

EVGA 512-P3-N975-AR GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail $119.99 after MIR (Has a smaller MIR, but is less expensive to begin with. Also comes with free copy of Crysis. I think this is the one I read several comments concerning its rebadging from 8800 about. Some people seem to say it actually runs worse than an 8800.)

has anyone ever bought a custom system off of mwave.com? You can custom buy all of your parts and for $80 they will assemble everything and test if for you. I want to be able to customize everything, but don't want to put it together myself.

Also, I am thinking of splurging on a 9800 GX2...is a 500w power supply enough?, and are there any size or overheating concerns on the that card?

Chiggs

Gold Member
Nardonicus said:
Also, I am thinking of splurging on a 9800 GX2...is a 500w power supply enough?, and are there any size or overheating concerns on the that card?

No, and the card is both huge and hot.

DarthWoo

Oh, something else I forgot from earlier. I've been told here that stock HSFs are find for the Brisbanes I am looking to get since I don't want to OC. Is the thermal paste pad that is usually also included also sufficient, or do I need to scrape it off and put on some third party paste? If so, how hard is it to get the pad off?

Blizzard

Banned
So, building questions. I have everything except my monitor (and two SATA cables which I may not need...haven't opened everything yet). I plan to at least put together the system tonight and check if it POSTs, assuming the motherboard has a speaker.

So, about the motherboard. I got a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L (this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128337).

Now, I'm rather worried that something is going to go wrong. It's a cheap motherboard...and WHY do nearly all of the motherboards on Newegg seem to have such horrible ratings? This motherboard is under 60% 5-star ratings, for instance, and most seem to be lower. Even the highest-rated expensive $100-300 motherboards seem to be like 40%-70% (if you're lucky) 5-star ratings. Is this because there are just a ton of DOA motherboards, or motherboards break easily, or people are just clueless, or motherboards tend not to work with some parts?

So anyone had any experience with this motherboard, and/or advice in general? (I'd like to think I'd know enough about putting a computer together, but I may look up general guidelines anyway) My BIGGEST question is whether I should try to update the flash or not. There's like a F5 flash, and some people say you have to use it and it's great (and maybe required for the e8400), and other people say DO NOT UPDATE THE BIOS OR YOUR MOTHERBOARD WILL BE DEAD etc. :(

(Oh, minor note: I'm not intending to overclock anything, so I shouldn't need the updated BIOS for that reason. But does anyone know anything else about the board/BIOS versions?)

Blizzard

Banned
Hazaro said:
Mobo's are finicky things

Board is fine, don't sweat it.

But seriously. I've seen notes about BIOS F5 to F10 (or maybe that's on a different motherboard). I'm just wondering which is best for the e8400. =P

But thanks.

dave_d

DarthWoo said:
From an all-around standpoint (or do graphics cards have any bearing on stuff like video encoding, digital art, etc.?) which of these is the most powerful card? I've looked at the tomshardware charts, and it seems like 9600<8800<9800, depending on the suffix though. The 9600's price is nice, but if I can get something that's absolutely worth the ~$40 more, I'd probably go for it.

PNY VCG96512GXEB GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail $94.99 (This is the one that someone recommended earlier in the thread at the ~$100 range. Newegg appears to carry a bonus box for $11 that includes Frontlines: Fuel of War as well.)

Geez, you should check out techbargains.com today. The 9600 is going for as low as $60 after rebate from Frys.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Blizzard said:
But seriously. I've seen notes about BIOS F5 to F10 (or maybe that's on a different motherboard). I'm just wondering which is best for the e8400. =P

But thanks.

If it works and you can clock ok, don' worry about it.

If it's not ok then flash it.

jgwhiteus

General timing question. I'm finally thinking of updating my PC - over 5.5 years old...obviously not a huge PC gamer - and building my own for the first time. The only significant new PC game purchase I see myself making in the next 6 months is the Sims 3 (don't hate...), though there are a few PC games I always swore I'd try out but haven't because of my outdated system (Bioschock PC, etc.)

I won't be going for the latest and greatest parts given my needs; total package (monitor, everything) less than $1000. I was thinking I'd update by December/January. Are the prices in that period generally significantly lower in the US due to holiday discounts, etc., or does that maybe not apply if I'm building from individual parts that have been out for a while and not buying a premade system at a big box store with XMas sales or something? I'm inclined to just jump in now and enjoy the benefits of going through a pretty significant backlog of games, but if I can save $200+ for the same build in a few months I might just wait...thoughts?

DarthWoo

dave_d said:
Geez, you should check out techbargains.com today. The 9600 is going for as low as $60 after rebate from Frys.

Looks nice, do I need to have any worries about temperature issues on cards that are overclocked out of the factory?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
DarthWoo said:
Looks nice, do I need to have any worries about temperature issues on cards that are overclocked out of the factory?

Nope, since voltage is usually the same, temps usually only bounce 5C tops.

senahorse

If any of you new PC owners want a free copy of Half Life 2 reply with your steam ID or reply with your intention to setup a steam account and it's all yours. I would preferably like to give this to someone who has never played it before.

lachesis

Nardonicus said:
has anyone ever bought a custom system off of mwave.com? You can custom buy all of your parts and for $80 they will assemble everything and test if for you. I want to be able to customize everything, but don't want to put it together myself.

Some of my co-workers have used that service. They also do cpu / ram /mb testing and provide with the #s for who did the testing and stuff for about 10 bucks - which I think is pretty nice.

DarthWoo

Damn, when Fry's site said "regular price" on that card, I figured the rebate was the deal element of it and that I could just wait until the morning to order it. Unfortunately the regular price was jacked up $30 overnight. Guess I'll have to keep checking everyday.

DarthWoo

Oh good, guess it was just a temporary price increase to discriminate against morning people. Anyhow, I ordered the thing, so here is my system so far:

Already Ordered
-Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB (2 x 2GB) ($62 after shipping and rebate)
-PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W ($80 after rebate)
-EVGA 9600GT Super Super Clocked 512MB PCI-Express Video Card ($67 after shipping and rebate)

Almost Certain
-AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ ($87 no rebate currently)
-Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM ($75*2 do HDDs ever go on sale?)

Not Sure
-ASUS M3A78 Pro AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail ($115 after shipping - thought there had been a rebate on it but it's out of stock now either way, so I need to find something better maybe, although ASUS sounds like the best mobo brand atm)
-Still need to find a reliable IDE controller card for my old HDDs, or else use the second plug on the PATA cable to transfer everything from each old HDD at a time to the new ones.

Reusing
-DVD-ROM
-DVD-RW
-Soundblaster Live Platinum
-Here is the old case I'll be putting this all in (this one isn't mine, just the first image I could find online):

Antec-SX1030-InWin-FlexATX-cases-2.jpg

It is a nice, big case, so I'm pretty sure I shouldn't have any problems with space or ventilation (it has one front and one side inward facing fans, and two rear outward facing fans). Hopefully the power supply is easy to replace.

Chiggs

Gold Member
x3n05 said:
If any of you new PC owners want a free copy of Half Life 2 reply with your steam ID or reply with your intention to setup a steam account and it's all yours. I would preferably like to give this to someone who has never played it before.

And I'll give away a copy of HL2 and Episode 1.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
DarthWoo said:
Oh good, guess it was just a temporary price increase to discriminate against morning people. Anyhow, I ordered the thing, so here is my system so far:

Mobo: http://www.chiefvalue.com/product-_-productdetails.cv_-_item--CE00153994010060

Same company as newegg, even has newegg.com on the printout. :lol
Also OOS, but you might want to watch, or try ordering over phone.

*Any reason you are getting this? It has HDMI/onboard and that drives up the cost quite a bit, any reason not to go for a $60 mobo?

Why outdated 500GB for $75?

Get these zoom zoom drives instead for $10 more http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136218

DarthWoo

Hazaro said:
Mobo: http://www.chiefvalue.com/product-_-productdetails.cv_-_item--CE00153994010060

Same company as newegg, even has newegg.com on the printout. :lol
Also OOS, but you might want to watch, or try ordering over phone.

*Any reason you are getting this? It has HDMI/onboard and that drives up the cost quite a bit, any reason not to go for a $60 mobo?

Oh, is that why it costs so much more? I guess I probably don't need that now that I see that, but I thought at the time that I had seen a $20 rebate, and it seemed to have a better average rating than most of the other ASUSes. I guess now that I think about it, I need to make sure I get one that won't have any ports that don't end up getting blocked by that very long video card I ordered.

Why outdated 500GB for $75?

Get these zoom zoom drives instead for $10 more http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136218

I've been partial to Seagate for some time, but if Western Digital is the most reputable brand right now, I may consider it. Are there any companies out there that actually do any empirical studies on hard drive failure rates by brand?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
DarthWoo said:
Oh, is that why it costs so much more? I guess I probably don't need that now that I see that, but I thought at the time that I had seen a $20 rebate, and it seemed to have a better average rating than most of the other ASUSes. I guess now that I think about it, I need to make sure I get one that won't have any ports that don't end up getting blocked by that very long video card I ordered.

Yeah, it has an integrated 3200 that isn't crap and can handle HD and whatever, that's why it has HDMI onboard.

I've been partial to Seagate for some time, but if Western Digital is the most reputable brand right now, I may consider it. Are there any companies out there that actually do any empirical studies on hard drive failure rates by brand?

I would say get your drive of preference, but the 750GB isn't $85 anymore, so the WD6400AAKS gets my vote. The Samsung is the same price I believe as well. 320GB platter, 2 platters, average of 100MB/s read/write. I've ordered 5, love this drive.

The 750GB Seagate can be had for $99 I believe.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
rod said:
so whats the best, and fastest, HDD i can get for gaming right now (price not an issue)

Wait for Intel's MLC SSD, it completely blows away EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING.
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3403&p=14

Also don't get those cheap SSD's, they got issues.

If you feel like reading up on SSD's here is a fantabulous article on them.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3403&p=1

*If price isn't an issue period... Wait for Intel's SLC drive :lol

These are due in 2008, cannot wait for these to hit.
The future of computing is finally here and done right.

Now I just have to wait 2 years so they hold 300GB and cost $150 :D

rod said:
so whats the best, and fastest, HDD i can get for gaming right now (price not an issue)

if price is no issue, the new intel SSD hdd's without a doubt. The web is full of reviewers pissing their pants over these things.

bee

Hazaro said:
Wait for Intel's MLC SSD, it completely blows away EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING.
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3403&p=14

Also don't get those cheap SSD's, they got issues.

If you feel like reading up on SSD's here is a fantabulous article on them.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3403&p=1

*If price isn't an issue period... Wait for Intel's SLC drive :lol

These are due in 2008, cannot wait for these to hit.
The future of computing is finally here and done right.

Now I just have to wait 2 years so they hold 300GB and cost $150 :D

ssd drives are certainly the future but i wouldn't touch an mlc ssd drive personally, horrendously low amount of writes

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
rod said:
those look hot, but...why are they so small in capacity :( i was hoping for a great 1TB gaming hdd

RAID 12 of them.

No seriously. Do it.

main.jpg

postARECA1220.jpg

chart13.jpg

On a more practical note, just use the SSD for installs / OS, and use a traditional for data.

DarthWoo

Don't all SSD drives suffer from the 100,000 writes per sector limitation? I know that's probably a very high number in real world conditions, but how often does a page file get written to every day?

senahorse

rod said:
those look hot, but...why are they so small in capacity :( i was hoping for a great 1TB gaming hdd

Because SSD memory still costs a bucketload, will be a long long time before we see them at sizes of 1TB. Besides you don't need a huge drive as your primary, just put a standard PATA 1TB in as your secondary for storage. Either that or get a couple of veloicraptor drives and run them in raid 0 or if money really isn't an option, run in raid 5 (4 drives) or raid 6 (5 drives). :D

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
bee said:
ssd drives are certainly the future but i wouldn't touch an mlc ssd drive personally, horrendously low amount of writes

Except no.

This is Intel we are talking about.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3403&p=4

It's generally 10,000 cycles for MLC flash and 100,000 cycles for SLC.

However, given the 100GB per day x 5 year lifespan of Intel's MLC SSDs, there's no cause for concern from a data reliability perspective for the desktop/notebook usage case.

Not all SSDs handle deletion requests the same way, how and when you decide to erase a block with invalid pages determines the write amplification of your device. In the case of a poorly made SSD, if you simply wanted to change a 16KB file the controller could conceivably read the entire block into main memory, change the four pages, erase the block from the SSD and then write the new block with the four changed pages. Using the page/block sizes from the Intel SSD, this would mean that a 16KB write would actually result in 512KB of writes to the SSD - a write amplification factor of 32x.

tl;dr

Wear is not an issue.

Top Bottom