• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC gaming vs Console gaming: the case of PSVR2 PC adapter

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
How would that even work when existing PCVR games don't have HDR, haptic feedback or eyetracking support built into them?
PC has auto HDR, RTX HDR and reshade HDR that can be forced into games. Plus Quest Pro supports eye tracking.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Man, why is this so hard for you to understand? If the adapter provided the same type of connection as the PS5 it would support the PSVR2 unique features. That's it.

Is this what your mind thinks? That the connection is the reason why the features aren't there? Break that down for the class...

The adapter works exactly like a VirtualLink port and that's exactly how the PS5's front USB-C port works.

The limitations here are software not hardware.

Sony specifically said at the announcement of the adapter that it wouldn't support those features. It would be pretty easy to add a "coming later" if that was the plan. But feel free to quote me to tell me I was wrong if Sony adds them later.

I absolutely will. Sony doesn't generally share roadmap information publicly, certainly not to fence themselves into support.

Saying coming later means that they have to create something on a timeline. You are still struggling to understand product management.

Is this what your mind thinks? That the connection is the reason why the features aren't there? Break that down for the class...

The adapter works exactly like a VirtualLink port and that's exactly how the PS5's front USB-C port works.

The limitations here are software not hardware.

I absolutely will. Sony doesn't generally share roadmap information publicly, certainly not to fence themselves into support.

Saying coming later means that they have to create something on a timeline. You are still struggling to understand product management.

I'm talking specifically of haptics and triggers support when talking about the connection. Should have made that more clear. As for the other features I don`t know what the limiting factor is.

Again, I don`t think these features will come later. If they do, good. Only thing I will be able to do is admit I was wrong.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
What’s so difficult to understand? Having the controllers connect via the PC directly is a worse solution in every aspect, it multiplies the points of failure and increases latency. And yes BT direct connection is a mess on PC.
The latency for wireless controllers is like 0.1ms when connectivity is normal*.
The only issue is the shitshow of the BT stack on PC - but a headset that was designed for console wouldn't care about that - they don't have that problem there.
Design constraints were different, and hw is what it is now, they can't retroactively redesign the headset for this launch.

*Even if it was worse it'd be irrelevant since the main problem with VR controller latency is 99.9% inside the application stack. And noone is actively working to make it better, and there's nothing hardware can do to fix it.

OP lives in pc gaming of 1990. <3

VR on pc is basically plug and play. Even more so with the Quest and Steam Link.

Sony did a poor job in opening up the PSVR2 to pc. The main feature - which is eyetracking - isn't even available.

And they did an even worse job supporting the platform on its own ecosystem.

The bizarre thing is that they even bothered coding a bespoke app for it.

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
I'm talking specifically of haptics and triggers support when talking about the connection. Should have made that more clear. As for the other features I don`t know what the limiting factor is.

Again, I don`t think these features will come later. If they do, good. Only thing I will be able to do is admit I was wrong.

What do you think haptics and triggers have to do with the connection?

What do you think haptics and triggers have to do with the connection?

Taking into account how these features work on DualSense on PC. They only work wired on PC, when connected via BT they don't work. So it stands to reason they it would need a specialized connection to work wirelessly like on PS5. I imagine the same happens with the PSVR2 controllers but it makes no sense to use them wired. Sony could have integrated this on the PSVR2 adapter or, better yet, they could launch a proprietary dongle and solve this problem. I wish they did since DualSense is my preferred controller and I love the haptics. But again, I understand there might not be a market large enough to justify developing one.

Freeman76

Bought PSVr2 for PS5 on release and wasnt overly impressed.

Bought the adapter and started Alyx on PC, jesus its a million times better, sharp as hell and just a different beast altogether. I was blown away by the graphics on this.

The tracking on the other hand...Sony have released a sub par piece of shit without half the stuff you need, no guarantee any of their suggested BT dongles will work, and charged a nifty for it. The tracking is utter dogshit and now I have to start the trpuble shooting process and possibly spend even more to get it working.

Danknugz

not biting until a headset with at least the FoV of index + NATIVE hardware based eye tracking / rendering is made available, which would translate into games not needing any kind of patch or code modification to take advantage, similar to how backwards compat works on xbox systems with native resolution boosting. maybe index 2 but seems like that's never happening. fwiw, my index is still in its shipping box along with 2 extra base station 2.0 since the end of 2021, just never get around to it but i still haven't sold it

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
OP you can also consider Quest Pro or Pimax Crystal if you want less hassle and eye tracking.

Also welcome to PCVR, more AAA VR games here

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
OP lives in pc gaming of 1990. <3

VR on pc is basically plug and play. Even more so with the Quest and Steam Link.

Sony did a poor job in opening up the PSVR2 to pc. The main feature - which is eyetracking - isn't even available.

And they did an even worse job supporting the platform on its own ecosystem.

The bizarre thing is that they even bothered coding a bespoke app for it.
Yeah idk what op is on about. I keep my Reverb G2 headset on my desk, and it automatically turns on when I pick it up and turns off when I take it off. The same goes for the controllers. Idk how it could be any easier.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

The latency for wireless controllers is like 0.1ms when connectivity is normal*.
The only issue is the shitshow of the BT stack on PC - but a headset that was designed for console wouldn't care about that - they don't have that problem there.
Design constraints were different, and hw is what it is now, they can't retroactively redesign the headset for this launch.

*Even if it was worse it'd be irrelevant since the main problem with VR controller latency is 99.9% inside the application stack. And noone is actively working to make it better, and there's nothing hardware can do to fix it.
That’s exactly my point though, for console use it is fine to use direct BT since a) you only have one BT chip type to be compatible with and b) the implementation is much better optimized compared to the Windows one.

Once you enter the PC space it’s just asking for trouble. Almost as if the headset had been initially designed for one specific platform and then adapted to a different one when things didn’t go the expected way.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Comparing a piece of hardware when used on the platform it was designed for, and on a platform it's only on now because they fucked it games-wise, isn't a fair one OP.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Taking into account how these features work on DualSense on PC. They only work wired on PC, when connected via BT they don't work. So it stands to reason they it would need a specialized connection to work wirelessly like on PS5. I imagine the same happens with the PSVR2 controllers but it makes no sense to use them wired. Sony could have integrated this on the PSVR2 adapter or, better yet, they could launch a proprietary dongle and solve this problem. I wish they did since DualSense is my preferred controller and I love the haptics. But again, I understand there might not be a market large enough to justify developing one.
The triggers can definitely be activated wirelessly, so that is a software problem. The haptics probably the same, it's just audio I think, so no obvious reason it couldn't be made to work.

Top Bottom