• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 NFL Fantasy Football Thread. Lets Get Favre on FMT's Team Again!

LiveWire

CB3 said:
no i havent set it up yet. it seems we have more of an issue than normal getting a draft time that makes everyone happy. usually we do it on a saturday/sunday night but im getting some suggestions that we should do it during the week. if everyone wants to chime in with their opinion that would be great. if not im just gonna schedule it on like a monday night next week so we can get rolling

Next Monday night is probably the best idea actually.

Phillip Rivers
Steve Smith
Terrell Owens
Chris Chambers
Darren McFadden
Kevin Smith
Jeremy Shockey
Micheal Turner
Donald Driver
Reggie Brown (traded for Wash def)
Aaron Rodgers
Greg Olsen (trading for Fred Taylor)

Adam Vinateiri
Robbie Gould

Jags defense

This is my first drafted team ever. It was an auto draft over on yahoo. Did I do okay? Should I drop some guys? Too many at one position?

LiveWire

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Reggie Brown (traded for Wash def)

66w5n6.gif

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
This is my first drafted team ever. It was an auto draft over on yahoo. Did I do okay? Should I drop some guys? Too many at one position?

Olsen for Taylor?! That's a steal as far as I'm concerned.
And Brown for Washington Defense was basically something for nothing. Curtis may be injured, Westbrook may now be the top receiver and runner on the team...Brown isn't being elevated either. And he's injured. So those trades rock.

Other things:
-No reason to have two kickers, ever. Might as well see if there are any upside sleepers left in the free agent pool. Desean Jackson, James Jones, Ray Rice, etc. Actually, given your QB pool, you may want to make another QB bet. Warner or Russell, maybe? (Actually at ten teams maybe Campbell is available?)
-Assuming this is a standard league? No PPR or any of that nonsense. Your lineup would look like this, I'm guessing:

QB: Phillip Rivers
WR1: Terrell Owens
WR2: Donald Driver (until Steve Smith returns from Suspension)
RB1: Michael Turner
RB2: Darren McFadden
Flex: Kevin Smith
TE: Jeremy Shockey
D: Jacksonville
K: Vinateri
Bench: Chambers/Washington D/Aaron Rodgers/Taylor

Seems like a 10 team league? Well, a good draft regardless. Your weak spots are QB and RB. Probably you will want to swap Rivers and Rodgers based on the week unless one guy breaks out. And RB2/Flex is the same problem: Who to start out of McFadden/Smith/Taylor is going to depend a lot on who's hot to start the season. Taylor was blazing at the end of last year, but benching Smith or McFadden would be tough. But you have options, which is the whole point.

CB3, did you staff up league 2 to full?

I'm somewhat confused as to the rationale behind doing the draft on a weekday vs the weekend.

Weekends provide a solid expectation that both the East Coast and the West Coast guys will have the time to do the draft without any hitches. As a west coast guy with hours from 9:30-6:30, I'm likely going to be LTTP with Monday night being the timing/date...

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Shawnwhann said:
I'm somewhat confused as to the rationale behind doing the draft on a weekday vs the weekend.

Weekends provide a solid expectation that both the East Coast and the West Coast guys will have the time to do the draft without any hitches. As a west coast guy with hours from 9:30-6:30, I'm likely going to be LTTP with Monday night being the timing/date...
But it's labor day dude.

Milabrega

League #2 still happening? I hope so.

Did a live draft yesterday in a 12 man money league. I had the second pick in round 1.

QB- Jay Cutler
WR- Marques Colston (3rd, round)
WR- Santonio Holmes (5th round)
WR/RB- Edgerrin James (4th round)
RB- Adrian Peterson (1st, pick #2)
RB- Jamal Lewis (2nd round)
TE- Benjamin Watson
K- Kris Brown
Def.- Vikings (6th round)
Bn- Selvin Young (7th round)
Bn- Jericho Cotchery
Bn- Chris Johnson
Bn- Kurt Warner
Bn- Sidney Rice
Bn- Derrick Mason
Bn- Ronald Curry
Bn- Leonard Pope
Bn- Andre Hall

Notes:

-The Late 1st round had a WR run, and the 2nd round had a QB run
-There was a TE run in the third and fourth
-I saw the Defense run coming (SD and Dallas D were just picked) so I took Vikings D two rounds earlier than I would have liked, but the run did continue down the line so I made the right move to get the D I wanted.
-Kenny Watson, Vernon Davis, Darren Sproles and Chris Perry are all FA's currently
-There are a few teams with backups as their #2RB, and a few teams with no depth at RB, so I feel I'll be able to trade up once the season starts.

Milabrega said:
League #2 still happening? I hope so.

Yeah. I actually would be interested if a spot opens up in that.

Milabrega said:
Did a live draft yesterday in a 12 man money league. I had the second pick in round 1.

Wow, you guys use a huge bench for a 12 teamer. But hey, your backfield is solid. A bit better than solid, with Young and Johnson. Your top three receivers are all good. I think the defense is really early, but you explained that. So about all that is left for concern is the QB (well, maybe) and TE (he was great last season...for five weeks.)

Still, Warner is a starter backup in an offense that loves to throw. Pope is definitely a distant sleeper, but a TE run in the 3rd/4th is a little absurd so best not worry about TE production too much. You've got a no-brainer starting lineup (with the possible exception of which QB.)

-Kenny Watson, Vernon Davis, Darren Sproles and Chris Perry are all FA's currently

With fairly good reason. Perry is a starter, but what is that worth given Rudi is back and Watson is there? SF...Tight Ends...ugh. And Sproles...well, it seems there is doubt now about him being LT's backup. Without those clouds clearing up a little they are hard to own. (Although at your bench size Perry really should be.)

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Since league two isn't really taken off the ground yet, and I don't want to miss out on doing a draft (Spaced on the other one I'm in, was out of state when the draft was scheduled), is there any interest in an ESPN.com auction draft? I just found out that they added auction-style drafts to their kit this year, figure it's worth giving a try even though ESPN is generally inferior to yahoo.

I'd want to get everything together pretty quick, because either tomorrow or Monday are the only times reasonable to have the draft.

Milabrega

We still need atleast 3 more people for this league, so please post or PM me to join

Our Draft Monday (labor day) at 8:30 pm Eastern.

We'll be using Yahoo.

1. Milabrega
2. NomarTyme
3. CrazyMoogle
4. Oozer3993
5. Sinistar
6. FMT
7. Dy_Nasty
11. (If Needed)
12. (If Needed)

Hmm, hopefully we can get this league going otherwise I'll have to venture in the world of auto-assigned free leagues :/ Was hoping to join a GAF league this year.

Archaix' idea was good too, I'm thinking I want to cap myself at two leagues this year though. I guess it's a derby to see who can fill up a league in time?

i will play in the league so long as i can do both drafts concurrently. if i can't, then i can only participate in CB's :(

anyone know if you can do that? since both drafts are at about the same time.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i will play in the league so long as i can do both drafts concurrently. if i can't, then i can only participate in CB's :(

anyone know if you can do that? since both drafts are at about the same time.

Not sure if you need different browsers (IE/FF) but a guy in my keeper league did one draft and then jumped into another midway.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Rorschach said:
Looks like Archaix's disappeared. I'll give yours a shot. What time would the draft be?

Mine didn't so much disappear as it only got three replies. If people are interested in combining the two, I can join another one. I was hoping to test out the ESPN league this year but I can also go for another yahoo league if that's what everybody participating wants. No need to try and fill two leagues when there aren't enough people for one.

Archaix said:
Mine didn't so much disappear as it only got three replies. If people are interested in combining the two, I can join another one. I was hoping to test out the ESPN league this year but I can also go for another yahoo league if that's what everybody participating wants. No need to try and fill two leagues when there aren't enough people for one.

Sounds like a good plan to me...

Shakka

Milabrega said:
We still need atleast 3 more people for tonight's Gaf Fantasy League.

Can you please post the scoring rules of the league + starting lineup?
Actually I didn't want to join another league, but a GAF league might be fun.

Milabrega

Qb, Rb, Rb, Flex, Wr, Wr, Te, K, Def, 7Bn - default rulset.

If we want to draft tomorrow night or wednesday night we'll have to use espn b/c for some odd reason yahoo will only allow draft times until 2pm east the next two days.

We could still draft tonight and I could put the teams in manually on yahoo, either using an irc chat or this thread. So let me know everyone's thoughts on that.

Milabrega said:
Qb, Rb, Rb, Flex, Wr, Wr, Te, K, Def, 7Bn - default rulset.

If we want to draft tomorrow night or wednesday night we'll have to use espn b/c for some odd reason yahoo will only allow draft times until 2pm east the next two days.

We could still draft tonight and I could put the teams in manually on yahoo, either using an irc chat or this thread. So let me know everyone's thoughts on that.

I'm still okay with Yahoo tonight if there's a way to swing it. dunno how easy it's going to be to coordinate no matter which day you do. But I'm fine with whatever, just go with something (if you can do it today.) Tomorrow, well, hope for evenings.

Shakka

Sorry, but after thinking about it again I have to decide against joining.
Even though I'm tempted to, 5 leagues would be just too many for me (I have 4 right now).

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
so somehow between me being at work and getting home, the draft got changed to auto draft. i was able to change it back to live draft but we lost the time tonight. the only thing i can think of is that someone joined in and threw off the live draft somehow. yesterday before i went to sleep i checked and it was still on. get home from work and things are fucked.

so.... new time?

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
CB3 said:
so somehow between me being at work and getting home, the draft got changed to auto draft. i was able to change it back to live draft but we lost the time tonight. the only thing i can think of is that someone joined in and threw off the live draft somehow. yesterday before i went to sleep i checked and it was still on. get home from work and things are fucked.

so.... new time?
Not allowed to draft if we have an odd number.

Enron

Banned
CB3 said:

so.... new time?

it got changed to auto because the league had 11 players, which yahoo will not let you draft with (have to have 12). I joined when nameless pm'd me the info to give us an even 12. So is drafting tonight totally out of the question? I'm assuming yahoo won't give you that option.

Im good for any day this week, the sooner the better, and the later at night the better.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
wow thats retarded. how can you not draft with an odd number. bah.

its not even showing today as an option. fuck yahoo

Enron

Banned
CB3 said:
wow thats retarded. how can you not draft with an odd number. bah.

its not even showing today as an option. fuck yahoo

I figured as much.

We need to go ahead and just pick a time, otherwise we might get auto-drafted by the system.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
yeah, CB3, what's up? First it's like 1 hour, then it's gone. I'm off to do other things than wait. Let me know if it's tomorrow or th weekend or whatever.

Milabrega, do you want to start a league up then? Just getting feedback is going to be slow; might as well get a league going and hope it can draft before the thursday night game?

I'd like this to get sorted by somebody, or I'm going to have to look at the public leagues. :/

Enron

Banned
Enron said:
I figured as much.

We need to go ahead and just pick a time, otherwise we might get auto-drafted by the system.

Looks like my warning went unheeded. CB3 set the draft to "ready", but did not sign up for a new live draft, so the system auto-drafted our teams. Bleh. Well, this league's boned, so do the members of GAF All-Stars want to junk this one and make a new one? I can't imagine continuing as is.

Enron

Banned
Shawnwhann said:
Me no like my team....fucking auto draft!! :(

yeah, I don't intend to play my team either. We should just do this RIGHT and set up a new league with the same people, but i dont know if everyone will check in before the season starts on Thursday. We might just have to draft this weekend, and not count the first week of stats. This is what happens when you leave things for the last moment! And leave it up to a Philly fan to be in charge!

Enron

Banned
Somebody create a new league, invite all of the current members, and set the live draft for this weekend. And we'll just have to start scoring on week 2. That's the only way this will be really possible. All the draftimes for tommorrow suck *no evening slots* and I doubt we could get people organized on such short notice anyways.

Well, you could do week 1 scoring even after the fact. I'm fairly sure Yahoo lets you recalculate it. Yeah, Skins/Giants will be out of the way, but it's probably not going to change the face of Fantasy Football. Or you could do a morning draft.

However if you want a rush evening draft, just setup a free ESPN league, which I believe lets you set a draft date of up to 12:45am eastern. Then just set a 24hr time limit for everybody to join up.

Either way, it's best to set something up soon. Hell, I guess I can volunteer if we still have players.

Top Bottom