• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Olympics Thread - 1936, the Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its not that new of a move as its been in breaking for I believe quite a few years, but if Hamm lands the air flare in his competition...good for the sport.

SUPREME1

Banned
ATTENTION GODLY-POWER WIELDING MODS:

Is it possible to have this thread stickied on the front page with the NBA/NFL/ETC. threads since the games are going to begin soon.

This thread is also unique in that it's topic reaches across the globe and anyone and everyone can participate and have an equal interest in the outcome of the matches.

It'd only be for 2 weeks or so.

What do you say?

Thanks.

Karakand

Other football scores from today:

Ivory Coast 1 (Cisse) - Argentina 2 (Messi, Acosta)
Netherlands 0 - Nigeria 0
PRC 1 (Dong) - New Zealand 1 (Brockie)
South Korea 1 (Park Joo-young) - Cameroon 1 (Mandjeck)

With the Netherlands and Nigeria drawing the U.S. is currently at the top of its group. :D

Unrelated news:

BEIJING (AP)—Frankie Gavin, the world lightweight champion from Britain, has dropped out of the Olympic boxing tournament because he didn’t think he could make his 132-pound weight limit.

Gavin, a 22-year-old left-hander from Birmingham, was perhaps the top medal hope on the resurgent British team, which qualified eight boxers for the games. He was in training with his teammates at their recent camp in Macau, but didn’t even make the trip to Beijing in advance of Friday’s weigh-in and tournament draw.

firex

I plan on doing the American thing and ignoring every olympic event, except for women's volleyball and men's basketball, and proclaiming the US the overall winner if they get gold in those 2 events.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
If Sanderson is out, which US wrestlers should I look out for? I really loved following Sanderson post-2003 and stuff.

gutshot

Karakand said:
Other football scores from today:

Ivory Coast 1 (Cisse) - Argentina 2 (Messi, Acosta)
Netherlands 0 - Nigeria 0
PRC 1 (Dong) - New Zealand 1 (Brockie)
South Korea 1 (Park Joo-young) - Cameroon 1 (Mandjeck)

With the Netherlands and Nigeria drawing the U.S. is currently at the top of its group. :D

Unrelated news:

Is that good for the US though? I almost want one of those teams to run away with the group, so the US can play for second. Let's say they lose to the Netherlands and tie Nigeria, as long as Nigeria beats Japan they are in and the US is out. If the Netherlands had won today and the US and Nigeria had had those same results, it would come down to goal differential.

Bottom line, if the US can get a win in either of the next two games, they are through.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
the fuck happened to ballroom dancing?
and why isn't UGGLA repping the US in baseball?

NewLib

Banned
firex said:
I plan on doing the American thing and ignoring every olympic event, except for women's volleyball and men's basketball, and proclaiming the US the overall winner if they get gold in those 2 events.

What are you talking about: We also pay attention to Men's Sprints and Swimming because we dominate there too.

firex

yeah, but you don't get to see women in bikinis in those events and they aren't worth watching like basketball.

NBC starts the broadcast at 7:30PM local time, but the ceremonies actually start at around 5 am PDT.

To paraphrase my question, is there any way to watch the opening ceremonies live, online or otherwise?

Big-E

If you are Canadian, the CBC will be start broadcasting at 3:30 AM Pacific time. I think some American areas may get the CBC.

Chris R

so wait the opening thingy starts very shortly? Doesn't look like nbc is showing it live on tv... which is kinda stupid...

Is it going to be online?

jman2050

Number of request posts needed to sticky MLB thread: 30-40 or so.
Number of request posts needed to sticky Olympics thread: 1

That's just not right.

methodman

Banned
juicyfruitas said:
I walked through the SJSU campus a couple of years ago when I was in downtown SJ for the GDC. Nice library but the campus overall was a bit ghetto. Ghetto as in tons of bums hanging out everywhere. I thought USC was bad but SJSU was like skid-row.

Heh yeah man it was pretty bad 4, 5 years ago. They got those hobos locked down now though... :lol

Dali

I just got done watching the opening commemorative luncheon live followed by about ten minutes of video featuring two separate Beijing Olympics songs. They were sung by people who I guess are Chinese stars some of which with the most ridiculous hairstyles I've ever seen. They didn't all look like stars - a lot of them looked like normal people - but I'm just guessing they were because I saw Jackie Chan, a guy that looked like an Asian Lou Ferrigno, and a few really hot pop idol or actress looking chicks. CCTV is slowly becoming my favorite channel.

jman2050 said:
Number of request posts needed to sticky MLB thread: 30-40 or so.
Number of request posts needed to sticky Olympics thread: 1

That's just not right.

Olympics >>>>> College Football >>>> World Cup >>>> NCAA basketball tournament >>>> World Scrabble Championship >>>> National Spelling Bee >>>> Tic tac toe >>>> MLB

Talka

Why is NBC's website so shitty? I want to know if they'll be replaying the opening ceremonies tomorrow night when I can actually watch it, and that information is simply not online anywhere. What the heck.

Karakand

Talka said:
Why is NBC's website so shitty? I want to know if they'll be replaying the opening ceremonies tomorrow night when I can actually watch it, and that information is simply not online anywhere. What the heck.
They are for sure showing it tomorrow evening on tape delay. 1930 is when it begins I believe.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Opening ceremonies are always more embarrassing than impressive. I hope China pulls off something cool.

Anyway, I hope Federer wins, but other than that I'm pretty disgusted about the whole Olympics. Not because of "boohoo china is mean" crap, but because Olympics is such a silly event promoting irrational nationalism.

Akira said:
Uhh, where can I watch this live? NBC?
NBC's attitude is funny - they're pretty ignoring the host broadcaster coverage, got a team of 3000 over there and a large chunk of the IBC just so they can focus purely on the American competitors. They've even got a branch of fucking Starbucks within their broadcast area. And as someone else said, they're doing stuff by tape delay for the ad monies, despite the results being known by then.

Jasup

I'm waiting for a spectacle following the proud monumentalist tradition of the communist countries of the past and present. And it seems like this won't disappoint.

This painting scene is actually quite cool, if a bit tacky (like they always are...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom