• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Sharp said:
I don't think Detwiler is returning to the rotation. He's simply not good enough, and Davey seems to like him as his long man out of the pen. Not that I particularly think he's good enough to do that, either, but at least he's better than Burnett. I'm hopeful about Wang, but despite his nice results in the minors thus far his outings have been a little troubling, plus Wang was never really an amazing pitcher anyway. I'm hoping that we'll see a little of Tom Milone and Brad Peacock come September when Zimm reaches his inning limit, and then according to Rizzo and Johnson we should get a start or two from Strasburg to finish off the year.

Hopefully the Yankees are still looking at Burnett. Now I'm just waiting for Werth to get out of his slump.

Macattk15

I need a new team to follow until the M's put together something sembling major league talent. Trade some of the fucking pitching for people who can hit.

Felix, Pineda, Paxton, Walker, Beaven .... Hultzen when he signs. I don't give a fuck anymore.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
2rpups8.jpg

Awful drops by Florida, Arizona, Milwaukee (pitches/plate appearance).

eznark

Banned
Sharp said:
Nah, it correlates, just not that strongly.

Have you read a study? I spent a few minutes this morning trying to find one and didn't. Obviously comparing a year to half of another year isn't enough to make any sort of judgement.

I'd be willing to bet Yuni is responsible for 80% of the Brewers difference.

According to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York, a team official confirmed, that the Mets intend to sign LHP Gustavo Chacin for Triple-A Buffalo.

Once a highly touted prospect in the Toronto Blue Jays system, the 30-year-old Chacin was released earlier in the week by the Houston Astros after posting a 5.13 ERA in nine starts and 18 relief appearances for Triple-A Oklahoma City this season.

Chacin appeared in 44 games for Houston last season posting a 4.70 ERA and is 65-52 with a 4.23 ERA over 12 minor league seasons.
JP at it again!

Sharp

eznark said:
Have you read a study? I spent a few minutes this morning trying to find one and didn't. Obviously comparing a year to half of another year isn't enough to make any sort of judgement.

I'd be willing to bet Yuni is responsible for 80% of the Brewers difference.
There are a few studies correlating BABIP with P/PA (to some extent), and BABIP is correlated with BA (again, to some extent) which is correlated with wOBA (etc.) which is highly correlated with R/G. So there should be a correlation, just a weak one that's possibly insignificant in practice.

Fenix

Holy balls, Buck and Pat just talked about WAR on-air. I'm going to assume David Cone got to them during this series.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Nationals Lineup

Bernadina CF
Espinosa 2B
Zimmerman 3B
Morse 1B
Werth RF
Nix LF
Flores C
Desmond SS
Gorzelanny P

Werth above Nix? Hmm. I like it until it fails miserably.

Alright Phils have won 6 of the last 7 series against the Mets, hope they can keep that going today. Kendrick does not give me much confidence though. Go Nats!

Doytch

Fenix said:
Holy balls, Buck and Pat just talked about WAR on-air. I'm going to assume David Cone got to them during this series.
Rockin the FAN590 audio overlay on PS3, what'd they say?

Fenix

Doytch said:
Rockin the FAN590 audio overlay on PS3, what'd they say?
Brief definition, used it for the Escobar is the best AL shortstop argument, mentioned Jays FO uses WAR to make decisions on signing players.

Barring the usual Pelfrey brainfart inning he's been pretty ok recently after he gives up a run and he's got Paulino catching him. With Kendrick Mets are making good contact, just a matter of time. Hopefully Pelfrey doesn't implode... c'mon Paulie keep making him pitch like a man.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Jon Dowd should have been intentionally walked every at bat in MVP 05 just like he should have been every AB during those years on those Giants teams.

clemenx

Banned
Ah, man. Jon Dowd name brings memories. I was pretty into MVP mods for the PC, they're pretty awesome, I think the community is still big.

It's one thing to see teams walk Carlos Beltran to face Jason Bay, it's another thing to watch them walk Daniel Murphy. Amazing.

EDIT: so at what point do we see Jason Pridie in LF again?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The Frankman said:
It's one thing to see teams walk Carlos Beltran to face Jason Bay, it's another thing to watch them walk Daniel Murphy. Amazing.

EDIT: so at what point do we see Fernando Martinez in LF again?

Although I'll settle for Pridie. Or basically anybody not named Jason Bay.

Jubs

On Gameday, looks like Gorzy is getting squeezed big time. A lot of these balls look like strikes to me.

Sharp

verbum said:
He wiped his mouth and then touched the baseball with the wet hand.
Gorzo can barely throw a fastball right now, let alone try his luck at a spitball. Give him a fucking break.

The Braves should have blown that inning wide open. But oh well. A two-run lead for Jurrjens is almost an automatic victory this season.

darkside31337, Mets have said the day Fernando comes up he ain't coming back down. So Beltran would have to he traded to see F-Mart up.

Damn Paulino making his money today. Making Pelfrey look like a pitcher.

verbum

Sharp said:
Gorzo can barely throw a fastball right now, let alone try his luck at a spitball. Give him a fucking break.

The umpires may have been looking for it, he may have been doing it for a while. If you wipe your mouth and do not wipe the hand off, then a little spit can make a ball slip off a bat and go foul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom