• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Call of Duty 4 Multiplayer Thread & Gamertag Roundup(PC/PS3/360)

Eric WK

zam said:
Listening to 1UpYours and Prestige mode in CoD4 sounds awesome

Was this the most recent episode? Haven't listened to the show in a few weeks, but I'm really excited about Prestige Mode.

Oh and having two threads sucks. No one's even talking about this and it's a week away.

chapel

Banned
Eric WK said:
Was this the most recent episode? Haven't listened to the show in a few weeks, but I'm really excited about Prestige Mode.

Oh and having two threads sucks. No one's even talking about this and it's a week away.
You're telling me, this thread was only intended to gather MP info so we could play together, not to separate discussion. I need to ask the mods *again* to change the title but I don't want to annoy them and get banned or something.

chapel

Banned
Ramirez said:
What is Prestige mode?
Taken from COD4 forums at CharlieOscarDelta.com
Prestige Mode is when you reach level 55 (not 65), you will have the option to enter Prestige Mode where you keep your rank, but lose all your unlockables. So basically starting back at Rank 1 and working your way back up unlocking it all again for a new icon which you can do 10 times over.

Drewsy

Banned
360 | volta volta | Drewsy | EST (-4 GMT /yiddish)

Add me now, anyone, I'm trying to get more gaffers on my freinds list.

Eric WK said:

seconded.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Are you boys ready for some mother fuckin call of duty?!!?!? I guess its all self hype but I can't wait for this! My friends back home and I are so pumped. We were let down by halo 3. I just got so sick of it being constantly a run up and melee game. Thats just me making my comment, not to start a discussion. I just hope this is everything it looks to be.

I didn't play the other CoD(s) on the 360, so how do the servers work? Is it TF2 fail style or Halo 3 pretty close to win style?

traveler

Not Wario
Is anyone gonna do a 360 "Realism Unit" thread? I was checking out the PS3 one and it sounds pretty awesome. I love the idea of a tight, tense tactical mode of gameplay and I might even buy the game just for that and the SP.

traveler said:
Is anyone gonna do a 360 "Realism Unit" thread? I was checking out the PS3 one and it sounds pretty awesome. I love the idea of a tight, tense tactical mode of gameplay and I might even buy the game just for that and the SP.
I'm somewhat interested, but I wouldn't have time to organize it.

Eric WK said:
This is the one game all my real-life buddies with 360s are looking forward to. We talk about it. :p

vumpler said:
I didn't play the other CoD(s) on the 360, so how do the servers work? Is it TF2 fail style or Halo 3 pretty close to win style?

I'll be kind ;)

No servers, but uses a true skill system like the one in H3. So everything is p2p. I could never get into a CoD3 match because each time I joined, the host(or the people on board) would just boot me off and ban me. CoD3 had a retarded ass system where they show your class and people booted players out if they were ranked really low. :mad:

I did get to play a little bit of CoD2 a few months ago and it was a much better playing experience. The maps were really well done and spanned many levels. You can be on multiple floors, in the open, in a warehouse, etc.; all in the same map. From gaffer and general internet impressions, the multiplayer kicks ass with minor lag issues, something IW will definitely address, since they seem to be concentrating on keeping the community active, just like with Bungie.

JdFoX187

Banned
Masta_Killah said:
I'll be kind ;)

No servers, but uses a true skill system like the one in H3. So everything is p2p. I could never get into a CoD3 match because each time I joined, the host(or the people on board) would just boot me off and ban me. CoD3 had a retarded ass system where they show your class and people booted players out if they were ranked really low. :mad:

I did get to play a little bit of CoD2 a few months ago and it was a much better playing experience. The maps were really well done and spanned many levels. You can be on multiple floors, in the open, in a warehouse, etc.; all in the same map. From gaffer and general internet impressions, the multiplayer kicks ass with minor lag issues, something IW will definitely address, since they seem to be concentrating on keeping the community active, just like with Bungie.
I played a couple hundred matches during the beta and there were four that were just downright laggy and impossible to play. One of the matches, the guy was apparently a cheater because one of the IW guys here sent me a PM asking for the information. Others were just poor hosts the matchmaking system picked. I imagine that IW has learned a lot from the beta and will be tweaking their netcode to represent that.

Stantron

Call of Duty 4 LIVE Fire Weekend Note: not able to register yet... "coming soon".
Get ready for some wild multiplayer action as we celebrate the release of Call of Duty® 4: Modern Warfare™ with a LIVE Fire Weekend. We've got a 72-hour Play & Win Sweepstakes, a chance to play against the game developers, the PMS clan gets in on the action, plus we'll have exclusive themes, gamer pics, and game trailers available from Xbox LIVE® Marketplace.

Register your gamertag now and get ready for a whole weekend of fun and competition! From 12:01 A.M. (ET) on Friday, November 16 until 11:59 P.M. (ET) on November 18, you'll get an entry into the sweepstakes every hour when you play a multiplayer Call of Duty 4 session on Xbox LIVE®.

We've got a whopping 72 prizes to give away (one for each hour), so you've got plenty of chances to win. The Grand Prize package includes an Xbox 360 Elite console, VIP Accessories kit, Call of Duty 4 merchandise, and lots more!

According to fourzerotwo "CoDTV" (tournament style spectator mode?) is a possibility for CoD4 via future patch. They weren't able to include for launch. No promises though.

Also, from a post on the charlieoscardelta forum...
Hey guys,

fourzerotwo is fielding and answering questions over at a thread on the xbox.com forum for Call of Duty 4 (link:http://forums.xbox.com/1/16240835/ShowPost.aspx#16240835)

I've kind of summarized everything he has posted so far, I don't know how much we've already seen of it over here but it deserves a look, there is some good info.

Regarding a demo on XBL before release:

"Probably won't be an Xbox 360 SP demo by November 5th - 6th, but if there isn't there may be one shortly after release. Luckily the Xbox 360 had a great exclusive MP beta."

Regarding the release date:

"Sorry guys, I can pretty much guarentee that there's slim chance of getting it before November 5th. So this date is incorrect. The release date is November 5th with it landing on most store shelves on November 6th.

The discs / boxing is being produced now so there is little chance of anything even being shipped to retailers early."

Regarding adding gametypes and playlists after launch:

"Yep, we can easily add more gametypes and playlists after launch. We're shipping with a lot of playlists already and 16 MP maps. We'll be listening closely to community feedback and adding / tweaking the playlists and gametypes as needed based on feedback."

Regarding Arcade Mode:

"Arcade Mode unlocks once you beat the campaign. It allows you to re-play any mission individually (Level Challenge) or as a whole (Full Challenge) in Arcade Mode for a high score on the Arcade Mode Leaderboards.

When playing in Arcade Mode you are awarded points and multipliers for kills. For example you get points for normal kills, more for Knife kills, more for Headshots, and car explosion kills etc.

You also have a limited number of lives in Arcade Mode, but can earn more lives getting lots of points. It's a great way to replay the single player and compete on the Arcade Mode Leaderboards either per level or overall."

General Question and Answer Thread:

- Is VETERAN difficulty unlocked from the get go?

Yes.

- So FOURZEROTWO what level of prestige are you at? Is it worth going through the third/fourth time?

On the retail version I'm not ranked up because I have no one to play with. Sad I've reached all Prestige levels already on the dev version though. Yes, it's def worth it for the bragging rights of Prestige 10.

- Yeah, and please explain the confusion between level 55 and 65.

Easy enough. The highest rank is rank 55, not 65. 65 was said on accident in an interview with one of our guys, but the top rank 55, hasn't changed.

- Why are there no multiplayer achievements? All of them seem to be single-player?

We've never had MP achievements in IW games, we feel they should be kept to SP as it encourages people to just play the MP game for Achievments instead of just playing to play. Therefore you have guys completely ignoring objectives and losing the round for his team because he was trying to get an achievement instead of playing the game. If you want to aim for stuff in MP go for the Challenges which help you unlock more stuff.

- whats your favourite map fourzerotwo cheers mate

We have 16 completely new maps in Multiplayer so it's hard to choose, although Downpour (a farmland in the middle of a rain storm) has some really cool moments and is big.

- So, 402, does your post mean it is confirmed that CTF is not an included game type?? If so, why leave out such a classic game type?

Yep, no CTF at launch. We originally had Capture the Flag in the game but it didn't make the cut. We make sure only things we absolutely love make it into the final game, and Capture the Flag just wasn't to that point yet so we cut it. It's not dead though, we always still working on it and if it gets to a point where we think it's kick ***, we'll update the playlists and add it in there. We're going to constantly be adding and updating the game with new or changed playlists in Multiplayer based on community feedback so don't worry. Plus theres lots of brand new gametypes and playlists for you guys to fall in love with.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Since this is just primarily a gamertag roundup, should someone start a multiplayer in general hype/conversation thread? I kinda feel bad posting comments etc in here when it just makes more crap for chapel to dig through to add gamertags.

Ryu

360: Bloodwall
PS3: Bloodwall

I'm not 100% sure on which version I'll be getting, reviews will tell me the differences. Most likely though, it'll be 360 because more of my friends will be playing that one.

chapel

Banned
vumpler said:
Since this is just primarily a gamertag roundup, should someone start a multiplayer in general hype/conversation thread? I kinda feel bad posting comments etc in here when it just makes more crap for chapel to dig through to add gamertags.
Its quite easy for me to sift through. You can talk here or the main thread, the main thread isnt SP only.

chapel

Banned
Median said:
Median87 | Median | -5 GMT EST
I added you to the 360 list, let me know if thats not right.

ryu said:
60: Bloodwall
PS3: Bloodwall

I'm not 100% sure on which version I'll be getting, reviews will tell me the differences. Most likely though, it'll be 360 because more of my friends will be playing that one.
I didn't add you because you didn't specify which you were going to buy, let me know when you get it and I will put it up appropriately.

quazar said:
360 - tD MistWalk3r

Add me just say you're from GAF. Look forward to this after the beta.
I need a timezone or something from you.

spwolf said:
spwolf spwolf +1 GMT
Again I put you up under the 360 let me know if that isnt correct.

Everything is up to date in the OP so far.

Tideas

Banned
question, does MP allow cross-platform playing? or is it PC vs PC only, 360 vs 360 only, and PS3 vs PS3 only?

chapel

Banned
OP is up to date so far.

Also added a link to your post Icy in the area of the OP.

I think Sony has done a disservice to developers and gamers, it seems a lot of people expect all games on the PS3 to have dedicated servers. What gamers don't know is that its up to the developers to provide the MP in any capacity, and so developers would have to push out the dedicated servers themselves. Although I guess in the end I would rather have a potential option to have dedicated servers, I don't think MS forbids developers from providing them, I just think p2p is just cheaper and unlike the PC online community people aren't as willing to fork out hundreds of dollars to let people play on good servers.

calder

chapel said:
I think Sony has done a disservice to developers and gamers, it seems a lot of people expect all games on the PS3 to have dedicated servers. What gamers don't know is that its up to the developers to provide the MP in any capacity, and so developers would have to push out the dedicated servers themselves. Although I guess in the end I would rather have a potential option to have dedicated servers, I don't think MS forbids developers from providing them, I just think p2p is just cheaper and unlike the PC online community people aren't as willing to fork out hundreds of dollars to let people play on good servers.

I'm not sure how that equals a disservice to gamers on Sony's part. The vast majority of PS3 owners who know or even care about dedicated servers know full well that it's not a given and that first party games are much more likely to have them.

Hammer

360 | Hammer0982 | Hammer | -8 GMT (PST)

Had a great time on the beta, cant wait to pick this up tomorrow (along with a free cod3 :D ).

Top Bottom