• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official ESPN NBA League Thread (Please read carefully!)

DMczaf

FrenchMovieTheme said:
where the F is theo?

209-kurdy01-lg.jpg

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I'm interested in a big man and I have been shopping around, I am prepared to take offers in exchange for any of the following players:

Lakers - Bryan Grant (Konex)
Grizzlies - Gasol (Bish)
Kings - Miller (Bob)
Rockets - Mutombo (Matrix)

Take a look at my team, tell me what you may want. I won't take a ridiculous trade, obviously.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Id be willing to do Mutombo for Penny,since you have three SG's and I need another one...the rest of your team is full of your starters and bums :p

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Ramirez said:
Ok so you want Grant and Mutumbo,but Dalembert is a dumb offer *the mind boggles*

Dalembert for Marbury is a dumb offer. Either of those guys for something else isn't.

Mutombo for Penny sounds like a plan.

Ramirez

Well I don't know how you can call my offer dumb when you asked me if I needed that PG still,then you said you needed a big man,its the best big man I got,so hows it a dumb offer?

But whatever,my team is straight,I don't need no stinkin trades!

Cloudy

Banned
Do any of you besides FMT use the take charge/defense button? It really shuts down the driving guards. Thanks, FMT :D

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Konex double teams like a mad man inside and then the stupid ass computer ai swats the ball away when you try to kick it out...ughhh this game one minute is real decent and then the next minute its beyond stupid >_<

Fifty

Cloudy said:
Do any of you besides FMT use the take charge/defense button? It really shuts down the driving guards. Thanks, FMT :D

I drew 4 charges in my game with True ;D

Matrix, are you icon passing when you kick it out? I know what you're talking about....and I think that's what Truelize didn't like when he faced me, but whenever I get doubled or want to kick it out, there aren't many turnovers...unless I've made a stupid pass into a crowd. Icon passing (I use it almost every pass) serves me well.

Matrix

Fifty said:
I drew 4 charges in my game with True ;D

Matrix, are you icon passing when you kick it out? I know what you're talking about....and I think that's what Truelize didn't like when he faced me, but whenever I get doubled or want to kick it out, there aren't many turnovers...unless I've made a stupid pass into a crowd. Icon passing (I use it almost every pass) serves me well.

Nah I wasnt icon passing when I was inside...my grandpa like reflex's dont help me much,I have major problems dealing with the black and white buttons and when Im doubled like that....ughhh im screwed :(

Cloudy

Banned
Alright guys, new rule. If all games are done except one or two and it's been a few days, forfeits will be handed out on a case by case basis. Sorry theo but the weekend is the best time for most of us to play and we can't be waiting on one game...

Ramirez

Seriously,wtf.

T. McGrady 15/34 2/11 1/3 0 2 4 2 1 7 0 33
E. Curry 2/5 0/0 2/4 5 11 0 2 0 1 0 6
B. Gordon 2/7 0/2 2/2 0 2 1 0 2 8 1 6
A. Davis 1/1 0/0 1/2 2 9 2 0 1 4 0 3
S. Pippen 1/2 0/0 0/0 1 4 4 1 0 0 0 2
F. Williams 2/2 0/0 0/0 0 1 3 0 0 0 0 4
O. Harrington 1/2 0/0 0/0 3 10 2 2 0 3 1 2

Next highest person had 7 shots,then 5,then 1 or 2 for like 3-4 guys.

Me on the other hand...

K. Thomas 6/10 0/0 2/2 4 9 5 5 4 4 2 14
A. Iverson 5/13 0/3 0/0 0 0 3 2 0 1 1 10
S. Dalembert 4/6 0/0 0/0 3 10 0 1 3 5 2 8
G. Robinson 2/20 0/7 0/0 1 7 0 0 0 1 0 4
J. Salmons 0/1 0/1 0/0 0 0 0 1 0 2 0 0
A. McKie 6/11 1/4 0/0 1 1 6 4 2 0 2 13

Now I won't lie,I am partly pissed because I lost,but Im mainly pissed that DM did not even try to hide the fact at all that TMAC was the only one that was gonna shoot or score.I thought we were striving for a little sim here?Whatever.

Fifty

Well if it's working...why should he stop it? You can put a constant doubleteam on him. It's more important to win, using your best players, than to lose and spread the ball around. AI was a non factor in that game.

DMczaf

Now I won't lie,I am partly pissed because I lost,but Im mainly pissed that DM did not even try to hide the fact at all that TMAC was the only one that was gonna shoot or score.I thought we were striving for a little sim here?Whatever.

I guess you didnt watch the Magic last year :lol

T-Mac shooting 30+ times was the norm.

And damn, Robinson going 2/20? :lol

Ramirez

I figured you would take his side seeing as how Peja has had some outrageous games as well so far :p

Its not that AI was a non factor,I get accused of abusing him,so I'm just playing team ball,but the fact that I can only score 10 with him and still almost win,that should speak for something,your star doesn't have to fucking shoot the ball every time to win,thats all Im saying.Its pretty apparent that some of these guys are automatic once they get within a certain range,regardless of how many hands are in their faces.

Not to mention at the end of the game he was up by 2 and T-Mac goes in and 360's on Dalembert who was set up for the play the entire time,what the fuck ever.

But whatever,if thats the only way you guys can win is to abuse your star player,then go ahead,be my guest.

Yea,Glenn has been pure shit all season so far,the fucker is one of the best mid range shooters in the league,yet he misses wide open shots in this game like he's never shot the ball before in his life.

And real life to a videogame where you only play 7 minutes is a hard comparison for me to swallow.AI takes a hell of alot of shots in real life too,doesn't mean I have to do the same thing here to be successful,but AI can't take over in games though,he's too little,it just doesn't work out the same in the game as it does in real life.

Matrix

Fuck man if I hadnt gotten rid of Tmac I would have shot 50 times a game with that hot lazy eye stud..omghi2u Ram! :p

Ramirez

Well,although I doubt anyone bites,anyone on my entire team is up for trade,I need a bigger person who can shoot,McKie and Glenn have dissapointed me to say the least.

Anyways,Im listening ladies :p

Fifty

I'm willing to trade you a small guard who can score up to fifty points a game...wait, you already have him :lol

Man I played shitty. I guess this game must have some secret hot/cold system, because Peja missed everything from behind the arc. I let Konex get back in, and I blew it. Whatever. I played poorly. That's it.

Cloudy

Banned
I gotta agree with Ramirez here, guys. 30 plus shots is a lot with one guy on this game...especially when no other player on the team is in double-digit shot attempts :lol

At least it'll give us great stats like Peja shooting 39 time to score 37 lol. The thing is, most teams don't have a guy like Kobe or Odom to put on him :D

Fifty

Well here's the thing...even though I said I wouldn't talk about it....

I lost. That matters more to me than any amount of points scored. Peja helped me win last game, and I relied on him too much. I would have gone into the post more if my big guys weren't always running out of the post to the 3 point line like a bunch of fairies. Obviously I can't depend on that strategy, so I won't rely on it as much in future games....unless I want to lose. If the Raptors relied on Vince Carter, and he didn't bring it, they'd lose. As did I...That's the way it fell, and I'll just have to come up with a way to win next game. I do wish that my PF and C would stand still so I could pass to them in the paint. I see them in position, but by the time I bring up the icons and pass to them, they've run away like fucking retards. I have no excuses though, I lost.

Ramirez

You should do standup Fifty -_-

I don't really wanna trade AI,but I would like to get a better player beside him,really all I need is a PG,but I can't get no one to trade me one,ugh.

Cloudy

Banned
Unless you switch to manual play-calling, you're stuck with what the AI calls on that possession. So if you don't call a post play, your bigs will not start in the post...

Ramirez

I wanna know how this is any different from someone abusing a certain RB or the same play everytime in the NFL league?Its not.

But like I said,I don't care,if thats the only way you can win,have at it,lol.

Fifty

Ramirez said:
I wanna know how this is any different from someone abusing a certain RB or the same play everytime in the NFL league?Its not.

But like I said,I don't care,if thats the only way you can win,have at it,lol.

You better not be talking about me. If someone uses the RB or the same play every play in the NFL league, that's because it usually works. I overworked Peja like a cheap whore and he went 3/17 from the 3 point line. Yes, 3/17. Ugly ugly ugly. Now that's not something anyone would be proud of. Cheese plays, or money plays...can be abused (in general) but this outing wasn't that. Think about this: Most of Peja's points were from close up...not from behind the arc..when I fell behind, and needed a quick 3, I couldn't rely on him. I abused him, but I only hurt myself. DM did a better job at utilizing his star player.

Ramirez

Naw I wasn't talking to you,I reserve my comments for only people I've played :p

Bob had VC in our game,yet he didn't have to abuse him all game to stay competitive,he used his whole team,thats all Im trying to say here.I mean lets be for real,am I the only one that realizes that star players are money once they get in the midrange distance?It doesn't matter how many people are jumpin in his face or whatever,it will go in 95% of the time.

But anyways,I hate arguing about this because I know none of you are gonna change your playstyle,so whats the point.

Cloudy

Banned

I agree it's no different but the majority (excluding me, or course) voted to have it that way in NFL. I guess we could vote on it here too if enough people don't like it but unlike an NFL game you don't really have an idea of how much you are doing with one player without pausing to look at stats so if you don't naturally work the ball around, a rule isn't gonna make you play much differently.

And I'm not really sure we could enforce a shot limit rule anyways. Would someone not use their best player for the game-winning shot if he already has X amount of points? It's just not feasible IMO.

The bottom line is, some folks like to use their star all game and some like to play a more sim style but none is really wrong. Some teams in the NBA play with one guy (last year's Magic) but they are always losing teams cos basketball isn't meant to be played that way. The challenge is to make any team whoring one player a losing team. Of course, it's not that easy in a videogame but oh well...

Ramirez

Thats a good point,you try to say thats how the Magic played last year,but you also forget that the Magic were fucking pathetic with that play style!Bah!

Cloudy

Banned
Don't get me wrong. I think 50% of the team's shots with one player is kinda crazy but I don't see how we could have a rule against that sort of stuff though...

Ramirez

I wouldn't exactly put Peja in the same league as Tmac,but whatever.

I don't want a rule,I just some of you to get fuckin real and quit playin so lame.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
just play ... if someone uses one player more than anyone else just double the hell out of the guy.... whenever he touches it...

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I shoulda stuck with football. The Knicks can't make any shots! Granted, I sometimes take some ill-advised attempts, but cmon. Usually my team misses more layups, open shots, and mid-ranged jumpers that anyone else. Compound that with their inability to rebound, and their lack of arms on defense and it's just not my imagination. Maybe the Knicks really ARE that bad in this game, but I rarely ever get lucky like my opponents do and have the CPU tip a ball for a turnover. Nor do I ever see an opponent's pass bounce off of their own team mates.

I'm not whining and I'm not going to quit, but shit man, I am frustrated. Just because I'm not using a power team I shouldn't have a chance at all? That's bullshit.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Well, does anyone have any tips at all? I don't like being so outright pathetic, and it'd be better if the league had another decent competitor.

I mean any tips AT ALL, offense or defense. It's quite obvious I am clueless when it comes to basketball games in general, I never kept up with them. I'm willing to work on it.

Top Bottom