• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brendonia

"Edge stole Big Ben's helmet"
Stocka said:
Yeah i've been doing some sprints similar to what you've described. Where i've done sprints across 50m or so 10 times, then rest, then repeated three times. So I should try and include this evey evening if possible yes? And in regard to nutrition, should I be cutting out bread, potatoes and pasta?

Oh good lord no not every day. You need to be cognizant of how your body feels. As others have said do NOT overdo it. If your goal is fat loss then yes, cutting out simple carbohydrates (white bread, regular pasta, potatoes) is a good idea along with limited amounts (100g or less) of complex carbs (whole grains, sweet potatoes/yams, fruits). In fact just totally cut simple carbs from your diet, they do nothing for you. I typically eat a ton of fruit and the only other carbs I consume are a little bit of oatmeal in my post workout shakes and a couple pieces of multi grain toast with my eggs in the morning. I was eating way more carbs recently but gained a quick inch on my waist so I'm trying to scale back down.

winnarps

Alright, my office building just installed a gym and I'm jumping into working out right now. All last week I just did about 20-30 mins of cardio every morning to kind of get the lay of the land and see how busy it is and such.

I've essentially got the entire gym to myself from 6-7am, which is pretty kickass.

Right now, here's my rough plan:
MTWRF- Cardio (30 mins minimum)
MWF- Weightlifting (mainly focusing on upper body right now, but I've got some lower body in as well)
Weekends are breaks, with possibly a few small runs every now and then; but my weekends are normally active enough to warrant not doing any cardio.

Right now I'm 6'2" and weigh 230lbs or so. My primary goal is to lose weight (cut down to 190lbs-ish). Secondary goal is to look fit/cut with my shirt off (generic goal, I know, but whatever).

Questions:
1. What sort of diet should I incorporate? Right now all I eat is 1lb of fruit in the morning with 2 cups of high fiber cereal and 2 glasses of skim milk, and then normally a normal-sized dinner that always has meat and vegetables.
2. Should I invest in whey protein? And when should I take it?
3. If my main priority is to lose weight, should I be focusing a lot more on cardio right now instead of lifting?

Brendonia

winnarps said:
Alright, my office building just installed a gym and I'm jumping into working out right now. All last week I just did about 20-30 mins of cardio every morning to kind of get the lay of the land and see how busy it is and such.

I've essentially got the entire gym to myself from 6-7am, which is pretty kickass.

MWF- Weightlifting (mainly focusing on upper body right now, but I've got some lower body in as well)
Weekends are breaks, with possibly a few small runs every now and then; but my weekends are normally active enough to warrant not doing any cardio.

Right now I'm 6'2" and weigh 230lbs or so. My primary goal is to lose weight (cut down to 190lbs-ish). Secondary goal is to look fit/cut with my shirt off (generic goal, I know, but whatever).

Questions:
1. What sort of diet should I incorporate? Right now all I eat is 1lb of fruit in the morning with 2 cups of high fiber cereal and 2 glasses of skim milk, and then normally a normal-sized dinner that always has meat and vegetables.
3. If my main priority is to lose weight, should I be focusing a lot more on cardio right now instead of lifting?

We need the OP back here so badly... OK winnarps, it looks like you have a pretty ambitious plan here, so I'll try and take things one by one.

If you are trying to lose fat doing cardio in the mornings before you eat is a good idea, however, it would be a hindrance to building muscle. Doing all that cardio every day along with weight lifting WILL burn you out and is overtraining. This will cause your body to get into a worse state than you are at right now.

What are you doing for weightlifting? Focus on big, compound lifts that use several muscle groups. For upper body do barbell bench presses, pull-ups/chin-ups, barbell bent over rows, military presses, etc. You (or at least I) have to do lower body lifts to build muscle. Make sure you squat, preferably at least twice a week, and deadlift once a week for your lower back.

Somebody better at this than me (Chichikov) can probably help you to put together a routine, but you need to rest during the week. HIIT, as already stated, is good to lose fat faster and not lose as much muscle as steady state cardio is. I'm guessing if you're doing at least 30 minutes of cardio you are doing steady state. Check one of my above posts for what HIIT is.

As for your questions:

1. Diet is a very personal thing, but eating mainly fruit, meats, vegetables, and complex carbs is the way to go. Incorporate some protein into your breakfast (eggs!) and eat lunch. You definitely need more protein overall. You need to eat close to, but not quite reaching your sustainable caloric point to lose weight. If you starve yourself you will hit a wall fast, your body will go into starvation mode, and you will become skinny fat.

2. Buy whey and take it after lifting. I usually just mix it with water, some berries, and a little bit of oatmeal. I use On 100% Whey Protein.

3. Losing weight is more about diet than anything. Hopefully somebody with more time and knowledge than me can provide more than my limited advice above. Weight lifting is very important to getting into shape and losing fat, so make sure to do that, and don't go too crazy on the cardio or you will hate your life.

Best of luck my man, others will pick up the torch for you as well I'm sure.

GHG

Ok, I got started on some rippletoe stuff yesterday, did some rows and deadlifts. This morning I wake up and HOLY SHIT MY BACK. Its been tense all motherfucking day. I'm walking round like I've had something shoved up my ass all day. Its not even sections of the muscles in my back, its like every single muscle on my back, top to bottom. This shits hardcore.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
winnarps said:

Questions:

Too much, too much, TOO MUCH.

Watch your diet [cut out the soda, eat more vegetables and fruit, drink water], do HIIT 3x a week [MWF] until you reach your target weight, then cut out the cardio and start lifting 3x a week [MWF] using a barbell regiment.

It's THAT SIMPLE.

You are over thinking it. You are overdoing it, and you will get hurt.

winnarps

Brendonia said:
We need the OP back here so badly... OK winnarps, it looks like you have a pretty ambitious plan here, so I'll try and take things one by one.

If you are trying to lose fat doing cardio in the mornings before you eat is a good idea, however, it would be a hindrance to building muscle. Doing all that cardio every day along with weight lifting WILL burn you out and is overtraining. This will cause your body to get into a worse state than you are at right now.

What are you doing for weightlifting? Focus on big, compound lifts that use several muscle groups. For upper body do barbell bench presses, pull-ups/chin-ups, barbell bent over rows, military presses, etc. You (or at least I) have to do lower body lifts to build muscle. Make sure you squat, preferably at least twice a week, and deadlift once a week for your lower back.

Somebody better at this than me (Chichikov) can probably help you to put together a routine, but you need to rest during the week. HIIT, as already stated, is good to lose fat faster and not lose as much muscle as steady state cardio is. I'm guessing if you're doing at least 30 minutes of cardio you are doing steady state. Check one of my above posts for what HIIT is.

As for your questions:

1. Diet is a very personal thing, but eating mainly fruit, meats, vegetables, and complex carbs is the way to go. Incorporate some protein into your breakfast (eggs!) and eat lunch. You definitely need more protein overall. You need to eat close to, but not quite reaching your sustainable caloric point to lose weight. If you starve yourself you will hit a wall fast, your body will go into starvation mode, and you will become skinny fat.

2. Buy whey and take it after lifting. I usually just mix it with water, some berries, and a little bit of oatmeal. I use On 100% Whey Protein.

3. Losing weight is more about diet than anything. Hopefully somebody with more time and knowledge than me can provide more than my limited advice above. Weight lifting is very important to getting into shape and losing fat, so make sure to do that, and don't go too crazy on the cardio or you will hate your life.

Best of luck my man, others will pick up the torch for you as well I'm sure.

Okay, modified schedule:

MWF- weightlifting: right now, it's a bunch of compound machines (basically all of my upper body is covered except for lower-mid back and upper chest). I mean, I've worked out twice already this week and I'm sore as hell all over. I'll report back tomorrow though with a full listing of the machines I use to make sure I'm on the right track here. I'll also start throwing in squats (Mon/Fri) and deadpress (Wed) to my routine. Should using the bench press be fine for my upper chest?

TThSat- cardio: 15-20 mins, steady-state. 10 HIIT sprints (30 sec hard, 30 sec soft).

Sun- off day.

That sound more reasonable?

As for my diet, I know I need more protein all around; the whey should help with that in the mornings and then if I add a healthy sandwich for lunch, I should be okay. I'm only drinking water and green tea nowadays; I cut out the soda (oh, how I'll miss you Vanilla Coke!).

reilo said:
Too much, too much, TOO MUCH.

Watch your diet [cut out the soda, eat more vegetables and fruit, drink water], do HIIT 3x a week [MWF] until you reach your target weight, then cut out the cardio and start lifting 3x a week [MWF] using a barbell regiment.

It's THAT SIMPLE.

You are over thinking it. You are overdoing it, and you will get hurt.

So I shouldn't worry about weightlifting until after I lose weight?

Struct09

winnarps said:

I would make weight lifting your primary focus while seeing cardio as a supplement to your routine. That will make sure you're losing the kind of weight you want to.

Chichikov

GHG said:
Ok, I got started on some rippletoe stuff yesterday, did some rows and deadlifts. This morning I wake up and HOLY SHIT MY BACK. Its been tense all motherfucking day. I'm walking round like I've had something shoved up my ass all day. Its not even sections of the muscles in my back, its like every single muscle on my back, top to bottom. This shits hardcore.
I'm guessing you haven't started squatting yet.
Do that, go down a stairs and report back to us.
:D

winnarps said:
No.
Getting stronger will help you lose weight faster.
Also, I know people who struggle to lose weight find it hard to believe, but gaining muscle is harder than losing fat.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Chichikov said:
No.
Also, I know people who struggle to lose weight find it hard to believe, but gaining muscle is harder than losing fat.

In my experience, finding a balance is the way to go. Going all starting strength was...ok. I think i gained weight, but i'm sure i lost fat. Going all cardio was just too slow. Cross training has been golden for me so far.

Darkman M

Chichikov said:
I'm guessing you haven't started squatting yet.
Do that, go down a stairs and report back to us.
:D

No.

This is true i lost 40lbs of fat while gaining strength from weightlifiting alone no cardio. Im gonna start doing cardio just because it's good for the heart, but weightlifing is far more effective for fat loss.

Chichikov

Sol.. said:
In my experience, finding a balance is the way to go. Going all starting strength was...ok. I think i gained weight, but i'm sure i lost fat. Going all cardio was just too slow. Cross training has been golden for me so far.
I agree wholeheartedly.
Being fit has three main components -
Strength, stamina and flexibility.

You should not neglect any of them.

Brendonia

winnarps said:
Okay, modified schedule:

MWF- weightlifting: right now, it's a bunch of compound machines (basically all of my upper body is covered except for lower-mid back and upper chest). I mean, I've worked out twice already this week and I'm sore as hell all over. I'll report back tomorrow though with a full listing of the machines I use to make sure I'm on the right track here. I'll also start throwing in squats (Mon/Fri) and deadpress (Wed) to my routine. Should using the bench press be fine for my upper chest?

TThSat- cardio: 15-20 mins, steady-state. 10 HIIT sprints (30 sec hard, 30 sec soft).

Sun- off day.

That sound more reasonable?

As for my diet, I know I need more protein all around; the whey should help with that in the mornings and then if I add a healthy sandwich for lunch, I should be okay. I'm only drinking water and green tea nowadays; I cut out the soda (oh, how I'll miss you Vanilla Coke!).

In the end, it's really up to you to determine what to do, but with a schedule like that, following it for more than a few weeks will destroy you and/or hurt you. Whey is better than nothing in the mornings but make sure you use it as a supplement and not a primary protein source. Use real lean protein (chicken, fish, eggs, lean pieces of meat) for this. Also, unless you have no choice, try and use free weights as much as possible. Machines limit your range of motion and do not help to work key stabilizer muscles which free weights do.

Troblin

Any advice regarding dropping into the single digit bf range?

I can maintain 12-13% bf no problem. Anything lower is like a sticking point. I’m not really willing to drop my calories by much, as I’m still actively looking to gain muscle. My diet is very clean—consisting of complex carbs (oatmeal, brown rice, pasta), lean protein(chicken breast/ham/round steak), and healthy fats(fish oil/almonds) – divided amongst 6-7 meals. I’ll have a couple cheat meals throughout the week(chipotle, bar food, et. al) if I’m w/ friends, but I usually regulate myself pretty well.

Workout Schedule:
I lift 3* a week – Legs/Shoulder/Abs, Back/Biceps/Abs, Chest/Triceps/Abs, and run 3 miles 2 * a week.

I’m currently maintaining my bw (185lbs) @ ~3000 calories (non-workout days), ~ 3500 calories (workout days).

Any advice on dropping the bf? I’m in no rush, so 1 – 1.5 % bf a month loss would be ideal.

Chichikov

Troblin said:
Any advice regarding dropping into the single digit bf range?

I can maintain 12-13% bf no problem. Anything lower is like a sticking point. I’m not really willing to drop my calories by much, as I’m still actively looking to gain muscle. My diet is very clean—consisting of complex carbs (oatmeal, brown rice, pasta), lean protein(chicken breast/ham/round steak), and healthy fats(fish oil/almonds) – divided amongst 6-7 meals. I’ll have a couple cheat meals throughout the week(chipotle, bar food, et. al) if I’m w/ friends, but I usually regulate myself pretty well.

Workout Schedule:
I lift 3* a week – Legs/Shoulder/Abs, Back/Biceps/Abs, Chest/Triceps/Abs, and run 3 miles 2 * a week.

I’m currently maintaining my bw (185lbs) @ ~3000 calories (non-workout days), ~ 3500 calories (workout days).

Any advice on dropping the bf? I’m in no rush, so 1 – 1.5 % bf a month loss would be ideal.
For most people, getting into single digit means a very strict diet, and it's almost impossible to maintain while trying to get stronger.
You can try to significantly increase your cardio, but it's a diminishing returns process.

JB1981

So after a day of deadlifts, weighted pullups/dips/chins my back is sooooore today. And I am loving it. My back hasn't been this sore in a looong time. This routine is really making me a believer. Fuck seated rows, lat pulldowns and all that shit. From now on I am strapping on the weight and hitting that fucking BAR, baby!

Friday I'm going for 100lb weighted dips for 8. What do you guys recommend to get my pullups stronger? Add weight or drop the weight and do more reps?

I'm also doing squats again this friday ... my knees feel a little better but the tops are pretty sore and I feel like I have little 'deposits' froming above my kneecap. If I rub the top of the knee, it almost feels like little bubble pockets or something .... wonder what that is? Anyway, fuck it, i want to do my squats and I will perfect my form.

reilo

JB1981 said:
From now on I am strapping on the weight and hitting that fucking BAR, baby!

Brucie.jpg

Troblin

JB1981 said:
So after a day of deadlifts, weighted pullups/dips/chins my back is sooooore today. And I am loving it. My back hasn't been this sore in a looong time. This routine is really making me a believer. Fuck seated rows, lat pulldowns and all that shit. From now on I am strapping on the weight and hitting that fucking BAR, baby!

Friday I'm going for 100lb weighted dips for 8. What do you guys recommend to get my pullups stronger? Add weight or drop the weight and do more reps?

I'm also doing squats again this friday ... my knees feel a little better but the tops are pretty sore and I feel like I have little 'deposits' froming above my kneecap. If I rub the top of the knee, it almost feels like little bubble pockets or something .... wonder what that is? Anyway, fuck it, i want to do my squats and I will perfect my form.

Weighted Dips - Thats a crapload of weight. I'd watchout for your rotator cuff/shoulder.

Pullups - 12 clean reps. If you can do more, then start adding the weight.

Regarding the knee - That sounds pretty bad, I'd get it checked out. But i guess it's your call....

Troblin

Chichikov said:
For most people, getting into single digit means a very strict diet, and it's almost impossible to maintain while trying to get stronger.
You can try to significantly increase your cardio, but it's a diminishing returns process.

hmn.. so either bulking or cutting..

What calorie surplus do you usually bulk off of? I don't really want to exceed ~ 15% bf(I get "fat face syndrome" at higher bfs).

What caloric deficit do you usually cut at?

A little advice, guys.

- Pear shaped.
- Love handles.
- About 20lbs overweight.

How should I go about this? I have an exercise bike but little motivation.

reilo

Krypton Zod said:
A little advice, guys.

- Pear shaped.
- Love handles.

How should I go about this? I have an exercise bike but little motivation.

Then this is what you'll look like:

- Pear shaped.
- Love handles.

It's as much of a mental thing as anything. Get motivated.

Since Amir0x acts like a fucking internet tough guy and Captain Glanton left because of his trolling, Amir0x should take over this thread eh? He should give us some advice about proper lifting and all that.

Chichikov

Troblin said:
hmn.. so either bulking or cutting..

What calorie surplus do you usually bulk off of? I don't really want to exceed ~ 15% bf(I get "fat face syndrome" at higher bfs).

What caloric deficit do you usually cut at?
That's not what I said.
10-11% bf is pretty damn cut.
But yeah, trying to bulk up without getting any increase in body fat is pretty damn hard, especially as you get older.
And personally I think it's not even advisable to try -
Just start eating for the weight you want to be in, if you train hard you'll gain muscles and some fat, as you get closer to this weight your calorie surplus will get smaller which will both slow your strengthening process and cause your body to burn the fat you accumulated.

Now I do realize it's very simplistic approach, but in practice it works pretty well for most beginners.

JB1981 said:
What do you guys recommend to get my pullups stronger? Add weight or drop the weight and do more reps?
The magic number for me was 3X8, when I hit it I raise the weight.
I also throw an unweighted set with minimal rest at the end.

You people weren't kidding about putting on muscle being harder than stripping fat. I'm really pleased with my progress since I started bulking over a month ago (steely Jr. Man-Boobs are coming in nicely), but goddamn if I don't have to eat CONSTANTLY. I was already eating around 5 or 6 meals a day when I was cutting, but they all felt like snacks... now I've barely finished breakfast 2 and I'm already trying to shovel down lunch 1. I stay out dancing all night on a Saturday, consequently miss some meals Sunday, and my weight stalls instantly.

Deadlifts are starting to tear up my hands too... I've got blisters beneath callouses. I don't want to use gloves but lifting 3 times a week means they never completely heal, so I might have to look into buying a pair.

Solaros

Captain Glanton said:
Good stuff. If you get caught up with most people's squat form, you'll go crazy, so you have to just focus on your own.

The trick for pressing is to be able to contract your shoulder blades, bringing your shoulders back, and to keep your elbows "in tight" as you lower the bar. You don't really want your elbows at right angles to the bar or to be right under it; that's how pec tears happen. It's easy to demonstrate but tough to explain.

I have kind of been going through this thread little parts at a time and feel I can offer some advice here.

When he is talking about keeping your elbows in tight he is referring to pressing off of your lats. The lats being the biggest muscle in the upper body, so it would be a good idea to use them.

When benching you want to actively pull the weight down to your chest, keep your elbows in close to your body like you do with pushups, and most importantly when you push up you want to envision bending the bar.

A good way to get this feeling is to take a broomstick, or a rod-like apparatus in general:

1. Relax your arms at your side
  2. While leaving your elbows at your side, bring your hands up so a 90 degree angle is formed with the arms
  3. Take the rod, with your hands palm down, and attempt to snap it in half by forcing downward with both hands (don't actually push the rod down though, it should be stationary)

This should, if done right, make you aware of how to correctly contract the lats. You will most likely have to take some plates off the bar to get used to this new style, but watch any of the great lifters and they all bench from their lats. This tip should also add a pull up or two to your arsenal as well. The same principle applies to pull ups, just try to bring your hands together (just like you tried to snap the rod) and you will feel a rising up sensation.

I'll try to post in here a little more often since the two big players aren't in here anymore.

Chichikov

buckfutter said:
You people weren't kidding about putting on muscle being harder than stripping fat. I'm really pleased with my progress since I started bulking over a month ago (steely Jr. Man-Boobs are coming in nicely), but goddamn if I don't have to eat CONSTANTLY. I was already eating around 5 or 6 meals a day when I was cutting, but they all felt like snacks... now I've barely finished breakfast 2 and I'm already trying to shovel down lunch 1. I stay out dancing all night on a Saturday, consequently miss some meals Sunday, and my weight stalls instantly.
I already said it a few times in this thread -
When eating right it's damn hard to eat too much.

buckfutter said:
Deadlifts are starting to tear up my hands too... I've got blisters beneath callouses. I don't want to use gloves but lifting 3 times a week means they never completely heal, so I might have to look into buying a pair.
Get straps.
Unless you're Mr. Supergrip Man, you're going to need them eventually, might as well get used to them now.

Also, you can file your callouses, it's a bit of disgusting habit, but it works.

Krypton Zod said:
Where do I start, though?
You start by getting motivated, no one can help you with that.

Solaros

Krypton Zod said:

Without the proper motivation you will get nowhere.

So start with setting up goals you want to achieve.
Get in the right mindset.

When setting up goals you want to set a causal goal, and not a goal of which you are shooting for the effect.

For instance, "I want to be ripped and be in shape" is an effect goal.
This, "I want to be able to lift x amount of weight x amount of times in x amount of time"

The latter is a cause goal and will yield the most results.

Solaros

buckfutter said:

This site will help you with your callous issue.

As for grip strength, I recommend implementing some type of grip training into your current routine. Whether you do that with pinch grip pull-ups, pinching weight plates together, captain of crush grippers, or anything else.

A good place to start would be to actively crushing the bar, dumbbell, kettlebell, pull-up bar, whatever you are gripping you should have it in a white knuckle grip.

reilo

Krypton Zod said:

reilo said:
Doesn't look like that much weight, to be honest. But it all depends on how hard you train and how careful you are with your diet.

You really have to get into that mindset that you want to go to the gym. You should feel like shit on your off days - literally speaking because you are sore from working out - and mentally because you feel like there is part of your life that is missing and you need it to feel "whole."

Yes, it sounds like a lot of pretentious bullshit, but getting into the right mindset is just part of the battle to achieving the goals you want.

JB1981

Solaros said:
This site will help you with your callous issue.

As for grip strength, I recommend implementing some type of grip training into your current routine. Whether you do that with pinch grip pull-ups, pinching weight plates together, captain of crush grippers, or anything else.

A good place to start would be to actively crushing the bar, dumbbell, kettlebell, pull-up bar, whatever you are gripping you should have it in a white knuckle grip.

Farmer's Walk is great for grip/forearm strength imo.

Solaros

Reilo,

Even on your off days one should engage and be active.

Whether it is taking your dog for a walk, riding your bike, juggling kettlebells, or rollerblading. It is called active recovery. You shouldn't be out dragging around sleds or beating up a tire with your sledge hammer though, it should be light work that you find fun. This might help keep the "feeling like shit" feeling at bay.

JB1981 said:
Farmer's Walk is great for grip/forearm strength imo.

It is a great exercise that will really make you feel "finished" when used as a finisher. My initial point was, just to reiterate, that you should be gripping everything you lift with all of your grip. Even when you squat, especially in the case of 20 rep squats, you want to be contracting your hands, abs, ass and everything else in your body. While grip specific exercises do provide a good return, you can also get a good workout from indirectly training the grip.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
2 oatmeal cookies, 1L of milk and a 1/2lb chicken breast...what a meal. Probably gonna have potatos for dessert. :D

My hamstrings are so thick now I keep a day for quads and hams seperate usually...too tired to do goodmornings or squats

280 lunges
350lbs straightback deads

That was the workout for tonight planned on doing biceps but I don't see the point. :lol

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
Weighted Dip? I haven't heard of that one. Seems like a lot of things could go wrong there. :lol

Solaros

MrToughPants said:
2 oatmeal cookies, 1L of milk and a 1/2lb chicken breast...what a meal. Probably gonna have potatos for dessert. :D

My hamstrings are so thick now I keep a day for quads and hams seperate usually...too tired to do goodmornings or squats

280 lunges
350lbs straightback deads

That was the workout for tonight planned on doing biceps but I don't see the point. :lol

Deadlifts are my favorite exercise, how much do you weigh?

kozmo7 said:
Weighted Dip? I haven't heard of that one. Seems like a lot of things could go wrong there. :lol

The plan there is to get the normal bodyweight dip down and add more. The weight usually hangs around your waist on a belt/chain combo.

Barrage

Inquiry for those of you with Y Memberhsips:Do you know what knd of demographic goes to those "Group Fitness" things? I'm interested in going to some "Abs Express" thing (in addition to potentially Sports Conditioning and Box Action) But not if they're of blue haired grandmothers and melodic 60's elevator music.

MrToughPants

Solaros said:
Deadlifts are my favorite exercise, how much do you weigh?

Around 175lbs. I did standard deads with sup grip this week 440 x 4, 475 x 2 @ bar is 5-6 inches off ground, haven't done them in almost a month. I've been doing straightbackstiff leg (hams glutes) and straight leg on board (lower back) deads instead, I do pendlay parallel rows and straight bar & ez bar pullovers for my upper back.

Solaros

reilo said:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=aClZxAfsJ7M&feature=related

George St Pierre uses 110lb bells on a chain for his chin-ups.

That is awesome, I am a fan of Ross Enamait because of his hardcore training style like that. It is also really cool to see all of the MMA athletes do various types of training and not just fad training. Probably some of the most overall fit people out there strength, endurance, and explosivness wise.

Do you know if GSP does any higher rep work or does he keep it mostly low rep for strength?

MrToughPants said:
Around 175lbs. I did standard deads with sup grip this week 440 x 4, 475 x 2 @ bar is 5-6 inches off ground, haven't done them in almost a month. I've been doing straightbackstiff leg (hams glutes) and straight leg on board (lower back) deads instead, I do pendlay parallel rows and straight bar & ez bar pullovers for my upper back.

Awesome work, what has your past deadlift schedule looked like to get results like that?

I have been on a 5x5x5 program for the past few weeks now and my results are pretty damn good.

reilo

Solaros said:
That is awesome, I am a fan of Ross Enamait because of his hardcore training style like that. It is also really cool to see all of the MMA athletes do various types of training and not just fad training. Probably some of the most overall fit people out there strength, endurance, and explosivness wise.

Do you know if GSP does any higher rep work or does he keep it mostly low rep for strength?

Not sure, but I know that GSP is one of the most explosive MMA fighters out there. I'm sure those videos are just part of what he does - he probably trains 3x a day.

MrToughPants

Solaros said:
Awesome work, what has your past deadlift schedule looked like to get results like that?

I have been on a 5x5x5 program for the past few weeks now and my results are pretty damn good.

Nothing specific really. My back day would look like this usually

Deadlifts
Parallel Rows
Strict Db Shrugs 110-125-130lbs x15-30
Pullovers

Boogie

salva said:
Since Amir0x acts like a fucking internet tough guy and Captain Glanton left because of his trolling, Amir0x should take over this thread eh? He should give us some advice about proper lifting and all that.

Amir0x knows two things about exercise. Jack and Shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom