• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wraith

NewLib said:
Question: Does anyone know any good cookbooks/recipe books for those who work out and want to eat high protein diet? I know the basic foods that are good for me to eat, but I want some variety.

Berardi's Gourmet Nutrition is pretty awesome.

aznpxdd

Phew...did some deadlifts (probably wrong form) for the first time today, say good bye to my back for at least half a week.

Slo

Why do you think your form is off? Deadlifts and squats are both movements that you really can't afford to have bad form, or you'll mess your back up for real. Do you have anyone that can check your form for you?

JB1981

So when you're driving up with a deadlift, you are supposed to be engaging your hams, glutes and lower back, right? No rounding of the upper back/lats area?

Slo

Edit: ^^^^^^ Awesome!

Ideally yes. Though rounding of the upper back is less severe than rounding of the lower back, if your back is rounding at all then you're using too much weight.

Struct09

JB1981 said:
So when you're driving up with a deadlift, you are supposed to be engaging your hams, glutes and lower back, right? No rounding of the upper back/lats area?

If I'm reading you correctly, that sounds about right. Quads are also involved.

When doing deadlifts, I imagine myself pushing the earth away from me using my legs. That might sound silly, but it keeps my form correct.

JB1981

My left shin is bleeding from doing deadlifts today :D

My dips are really improving. I was always pretty strong with my dips but I did 70lb weighted dips today for 10. Did 2 sets of 18 w/ 60lbs before that.

I've had no luck improving on my weighted pullups though. I'm hitting a wall at 45lbs for 5 (same with chins)

I also seem to have hit a wall with my flat bench press: 185lb for 12, 205lb for 8, 225lb for 4. Do I just keep at the press and see what happens over time or should I do something to supplement my chest? I do pushups daily....

I also picked up some glucosamine to see if it will help my knees at all

Troblin

NewLib said:
Question: Does anyone know any good cookbooks/recipe books for those who work out and want to eat high protein diet? I know the basic foods that are good for me to eat, but I want some variety.

This is one of my favorite recipes. I substitute the ground turkey for some round/sirloin steak. Cook the meat for a bit in a pan, then throw all the ingredients into a crock pot and let them cook overnight. Absolutely delicious.

* cut and paste from BB.com*

Ingredients:
1.25 lbs lean ground turkey
1 onion, chopped
3/4 green pepper, chopped
3 serrano chilis, chopped
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 Tsp black pepper
30 oz tomato sauce
6 oz tomato paste
15 oz black beans (canned)
15 oz kidney beans (canned)
1/2 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 Tsp Tabasco
1/2 Tsp cumin
1/2 Tbsp cayenne pepper
3 Tbsp chili powder
2 Cups drinking water

Directions:

1) Put 1 Tbs of olive oil in a large pot. Cut up onion, green pepper, Serrano chilis, and garlic and add to pot. Cook vegetables on medium heat for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
2) Add ground turkey. Add pepper. Cook until browned, stirring frequently.
3) Add remaining ingredients (EXCEPT BEANS). Add tomato sauce and water first. Stir as you add ingredients. Bring to a gently boil on medium high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook for 30-60 mins. Stir regularly.
4) Drain and rinse canned beans. Then, add to pot. Bring to a gentle boil on medium heat and return to low heat. Cook an additional 15-30 mins on low heat.
5) Enjoy!

Nutritional Information*:

Per 1 Cup serving
Calories: 208.25
Fat: 4.25 g
Sat fat: 1 g
Protein: 15.5 g
Carbs: 20.75 g
Fiber: 5 g
Chol: 28.25 mg
Sodium: 628 mg**

Entire batch
Calories: 2395
Fat: 49 g
Sat fat: 12 g
Protein: 180 g
Carbs: 239 g
Fiber: 55 g
Chol: 325 mg
Sodium: 7225 mg**

* cut and paste from BB.com*

Brendonia

"Edge stole Big Ben's helmet"
JB1981 said:
My left shin is bleeding from doing deadlifts today :D

My dips are really improving. I was always pretty strong with my dips but I did 70lb weighted dips today for 10. Did 2 sets of 18 w/ 60lbs before that.

I've had no luck improving on my weighted pullups though. I'm hitting a wall at 45lbs for 5 (same with chins)

I also seem to have hit a wall with my flat bench press: 185lb for 12, 205lb for 8, 225lb for 4. Do I just keep at the press and see what happens over time or should I do something to supplement my chest? I do pushups daily....

I also picked up some glucosamine to see if it will help my knees at all

Gotta love the bleeding shins. I usually get a little bit bloody, there's typically a scab or two on my shins at all times. How much are you working with on the deads? There is nothing better than pulling up a huge amount on those damn things, I get a rush through my body. Also, nice work on the dips man! And those pull-up numbers are pretty impressive as well. I'm not even close to that, although my pull-up numbers are dwindling now that I've for the most part removed them from my routine for a while.

As for the benching, I'd say you and I are pretty close to the same boat. I've been making strong, steady gains on that as well, upping my 5 rep max from 205 to 230 in about two months. I kind of got stuck at 225 as well, and just started supplementing my normal bench schedule (twice a week flat bench, once 5x5 and then 4x5, 1x3 at new max, 1x8 w/ weight of third set) with 3x8 cable flies on my 5x5 days if I feel OK, and using the 4th set weight total on my 6th set on new max days (I hope that makes sense). I'm not sure what your exact routine is, but on days that you try to achieve a new max, try pumping out a last set for a few more reps with a good amount of weight. It seemed to work for me, but I had no energy today and couldn't get 230 up 5 times, only 3.

I'm super stuck on squats, by the way. I'm trapped at 275 as my 5 rep max, tried to go up to 280 a couple weeks ago and got stuck under the bar, now I'm apprehensive to go up that high again. For some reason those 5 pounds are killing me. Any thoughts?

[edit] I think I just heard Snrub and Glanton in my head telling me to scale back down and build back up on the squats, so I feel like that's what I should do at this point. [edit]

JB1981

So some people were asking for some progress shots.

Let's see if this works. Don't be too harsh, people!

The first one was roughly 3-4 weeks before the second. I think I was a little leaner (and hairier lol) and peeling ...

JB1981_bucket

Photo14.jpg

how do i import the actual image into the thread? btw, is photobucket allowed?

radiuhm

I've got a problem with my legs being uneven strength wise.

I've been squatting practically ass to grass/way lower than parallel and I've been noticing my left leg has been doing more work than my right leg which is partially caused by the PVNS in my right knee.

Anyway can someone recommend some unilateral work to get both of my legs on the same page?

dmann

Quick question for you guys that lift heavy... do you lift with someone spotting you or do you do all the heavy lifting without a spotter?

I am little hesitant to lift anything above 200, and finding someone to spot me while I lift is hard since I do it at home in the morning.

JB1981

Brendonia said:
Gotta love the bleeding shins. I usually get a little bit bloody, there's typically a scab or two on my shins at all times. How much are you working with on the deads? There is nothing better than pulling up a huge amount on those damn things, I get a rush through my body. Also, nice work on the dips man! And those pull-up numbers are pretty impressive as well. I'm not even close to that, although my pull-up numbers are dwindling now that I've for the most part removed them from my routine for a while.

[edit]

My deadlifts are terribly weak. This is my second week doing them .... I only did 185 today. I will let you know in a month if I've improved. :)

Slo

dmann said:
Quick question for you guys that lift heavy... do you lift with someone spotting you or do you do all the heavy lifting without a spotter?

I am little hesitant to lift anything above 200, and finding someone to spot me while I lift is hard since I do it at home in the morning.

If you're lifting alone, don't go heavier than you're comfortable with. It's just not worth the risk.

It might be time to think about joining a gym, or better yet just buy a power rack!

JB1981

dmann said:

Just ask someone to spot you at the gym - but make sure they aren't shit spotters.

jacf29

Banned
reilo said:

Damn man. What did you look like before? This has given me inspiration to keep going and probably start heading to the gym as well. Damn the women would be all over me if I had that body.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
jacf29 said:
Damn man. What did you look like before? This has given me inspiration to keep going and probably start heading to the gym as well. Damn the women would be all over me if I had that body.

That's not me, that's JB :lol

Read up above.

Ok I've been pretty committed to making my 3-4 gym workouts of 2-3 hours thus far. I thought I was out of shape but all I'm in need of really is strength training. This is how I break down my gym workout: mind you I'm 5' 11.5 and weight 150 more or less

Cardio 45-50 mins

15 mins of high intensity running treadmill

30 mins of moderate intensity on the exercise bike

Mainly I do the cardio to warm up for strength exercises. I normally get enough cardio with out the gym because I play basketball regularly.

Strength training 1-2 hours (depends)

dumb bell presses 3-5 sets

dumb bell curls 3-5 sets

abs with weight 3-5 sets

lat pull down(I forget the name) 3-5 sets

legs 3-5 sets

I normally just cycle through all that so it gets to the point that I do "everything". I'm trying not to go overboard and pace myself. I'm not looking to get big but I want to get more overall body strength. My diet is fine and I have made the effort to get in a protein bar here and there. If anyone can point out what I maybe missing please feel free.

Wraith

Urban Scholar said:
Ok I've been pretty committed to making my 3-4 gym workouts of 2-3 hours thus far. I thought I was out of shape but all I'm in need of really is strength training. This is how I break down my gym workout: mind you I'm 5' 11.5 and weight 150 more or less

Cardio 45-50 mins

Mainly I do the cardio to warm up for strength exercises. I normally get enough cardio with out the gym because I play basketball regularly.

dumb bell curls 3-5 sets

abs with weight 3-5 sets

legs 3-5 sets

I normally just cycle through all that so it gets to the point that I do "everything". I'm trying not to go overboard and pace myself. I'm not looking to get big but I want to get more overall body strength. My diet is fine and I have made the effort to get in a protein bar here and there. If anyone can point out what I maybe missing please feel free.

If you really want to do cardio on lifting days, do the cardio after the lifting. You want to put as much as you possibly can into the lifting instead of going in already somewhat fatigued from the cardio. Also, 5 exercises shouldn't take you anywhere near 2 hours.

Hopefully your legs exercise is squats rather than the press. Curls and abs with weight seem useless to me for big gains since they're such tiny muscles, but someone more experienced can chime in on that.

Brendonia

Urban Scholar said:

Cardio 45-50 mins

dumb bell curls 3-5 sets

abs with weight 3-5 sets

legs 3-5 sets

First of all, with that kind of schedule you may be burning yourself out, unless you aren't hitting the weights very hard. Take some rest days or at least don't do that much cardio, unless that is your ultimate goal to get in as good of cardiovascular shape as possible. I guess the question is: What are your goals? What kind of legs are you doing? Incorporate more big movements (barbell bench press, squats if you don't do them, rows, pull-ups, power cleans, deadlifts) but not all on the same day. Ditch the curls unless you do them at the end of your workout as an assistance exercise. I'd say you're training too much though anyone else have thoughts?

Oh and JB, don't worry those deadlifts will ramp up quickly. Once you get the form totally down you will probably realize you can pull more than you thought you could. I'm somewhat surprised (actually envious) that you were able to build your upper body up so much without needing lifts like deadlifts. I guess since I was one of those stagnant "split routine" guys who made little progress for several years and now I'm making gains a lot on full body routines I feel like I see the light. Kudos on the hard work though.

Mr.City

Urban Scholar said:

Cardio 45-50 mins

dumb bell curls 3-5 sets

abs with weight 3-5 sets

legs 3-5 sets

Why so much cardio? A good 5-10 minutes of jogging, jumping jacks, etc should be more than enough to get the blow flowing. 50 minutes is just overkill

Slo

Like others have said, do the weight lifting first, and really bust your balls at it. In my experience, anything you do in the gym after the ~1 hour mark is basically just going through the motions. You're not going to get much return from lifting weights if the intensity isn't high enough.

Similarly, you need to leave curls and abs, and any other nancy-ass exercises to the end. Start with either bench press or squat, then do the other, followed by some back work. If you have any energy left, go ahead and do the foofy shit. Don't waste your initial energy and motivation on movements like that.

To cut down on your overall time in the gym, look into circuit training and supersets. If your intensity is high enough, you'll be sucking wind before you've done any traditional cardio.

Chichikov

dmann said:

A good spotter is great, but for pretty much every lift you can come up with a safety solution that does not involve a person (usually by working in the power cage).
What lift are you worried about?

kathode

I have some flavor recommendations for anyone out there who uses the Biotest Surge stuff from t-nation. I've been using it a couple months and have tried all flavors except the berry.

Root Beer Float - in a word, bad. They should call this licorice because the flavor is pure anise or something similar.

Plain - Better than root beer but still not great. It's just a very very overly sweet flavor. Tried it with Vault Zero as the Capt. suggested but I still didn't like it. Sorry! :)

Vanilla - This one is a bit odd. The smell is almost buttery. Taste is better than plain to me. It's got a salt edge in it as well.

Chocolate - AWESOME. I was worried about this because most protein chocolates suck balls. I got it last night and tried it out this morning, fully expecting to hate it. It tastes like a damn ice cream milkshake. I highly recommend it. Only negative I saw is that it seemed to fizz up more than the others so I had a big head of foam on it. But very tasty.

dmann

Chichikov said:
A good spotter is great, but for pretty much every lift you can come up with a safety solution that does not involve a person (usually by working in the power cage).
What lift are you worried about?

Mainly bench press. I am following Rippetoe's routine for the time being, and it has been progressing nicely. Currently benching 190lbs and I feel I should be able to hit the 200+ mark within the next few weeks or so, however I am little hesitant to bench that much w/o a spotter.

I mainly lift at home since its more convenient for me especially with my schedule.

Chichikov

dmann said:
Mainly bench press. I am following Rippetoe's routine for the time being, and it has been progressing nicely. Currently benching 190lbs and I feel I should be able to hit the 200+ mark within the next few weeks or so, however I am little hesitant to bench that much w/o a spotter.

I mainly lift at home since its more convenient for me especially with my schedule.
I assume you don't have a power cage, I guess you can McGayver some safety pins, but FWIW, failing a a 200 bench and leaving the bar on your chest, while not the most dignified position, probably don't pose serious risks.

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
Agh, what happened in here? I went to look something up in the OP and she's all gone.

I hope Glanton comes back and Mr. Snrubs is unbanned :'(

funkmastergeneral said:
Dude what's with the personal attack? When I eat food I just hate drinking plain water, I like to have something with flavor.

Sorry it came out a little harsh, I take it back. But we have people on this forum who deal with health issues such as fibrosis and sickle-cell anemia, but who nevertheless keep going. And then I hear someone say that they can't drink water. It just irked me, you know?

Jirotrom said:
I play racquetball nearly everyday, except for this past week because of my MCAT studies.

Cool. I've been playing squash lately. It's a great cardiovascular workout (I think it involves a little more running than racquetball). After playing a few months, I think my racquet skills are the constraining factor at the moment. And to develop those just takes experience.

Sullen

What kind of exercises can I do to work on my back? As I mentioned somewhere earlier in the thread, all I have is a bench, a standard (at least I assume it to be standard) bench bar, a few hundred pounds of weights, and some dumbbells. Any choices here? Gym membership isn't an option for me for awhile.

Slo

Sullen said:
What kind of exercises can I do to work on my back? As I mentioned somewhere earlier in the thread, all I have is a bench, a standard (at least I assume it to be standard) bench bar, a few hundred pounds of weights, and some dumbbells. Any choices here? Gym membership isn't an option for me for awhile.

Bent over rows. Also, if possible you should find a place to do chins.

Stocka

If I want to lose fat all over my body and not put on any muscle (i've bulked up enough now, i'm short so very stocky)...should I just keep doing cardio? I've been doing a 15 minute run every morning + small heavy bag workouts in the evening and occasionally skipping/rowing. The problem with cardio is, the more I do it the more I end up eating as a result of it increasing my hunger. I'm just going in circles.

Struct09

Sullen said:

Upper back: Rows

Lower back: Deadlifts

Brendonia

Stocka said:
If I want to lose fat all over my body and not put on any muscle (i've bulked up enough now, i'm short so very stocky)...should I just keep doing cardio? I've been doing a 15 minute run every morning + small heavy bag workouts in the evening and occasionally skipping/rowing. The problem with cardio is, the more I do it the more I end up eating as a result of it increasing my hunger. I'm just going in circles.

HIIT. Instead of doing a standard time/distance run, sprint for 20-40 seconds and then walk for the same amount of time. Do 10 of those (maybe a little less if you are doing the 40 seconds, maybe more if you are doing 20) and if you can still breath/walk then you weren't going hard enough. That'll up your fat loss without losing a ton of muscle mass. You could also just add this to what you're doing, keep the morning run (BEFORE breakfast) and you should be ok. Plus, as per your last question, gotta eat super clean, cut down carbs, and be disciplined.

Stocka

Brendonia said:
HIIT. Instead of doing a standard time/distance run, sprint for 20-40 seconds and then walk for the same amount of time. Do 10 of those (maybe a little less if you are doing the 40 seconds, maybe more if you are doing 20) and if you can still breath/walk then you weren't going hard enough. That'll up your fat loss without losing a ton of muscle mass. You could also just add this to what you're doing, keep the morning run (BEFORE breakfast) and you should be ok. Plus, as per your last question, gotta eat super clean, cut down carbs, and be disciplined.
Yeah i've been doing some sprints similar to what you've described. Where i've done sprints across 50m or so 10 times, then rest, then repeated three times. So I should try and include this evey evening if possible yes? And in regard to nutrition, should I be cutting out bread, potatoes and pasta?

Struct09

Stocka said:
Yeah i've been doing some sprints similar to what you've described. Where i've done sprints across 50m or so 10 times, then rest, then repeated three times. So I should try and include this evey evening if possible yes? And in regard to nutrition, should I be cutting out bread, potatoes and pasta?

No. If you're doing HIIT properly, especially while dialing down the calories, doing it every night is overkill. 3x per week would be a better idea.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Okay, some of you new people to the working out scene need to understand something very simple:

Doing more than necessary will not make you stronger nor bigger. It would do the opposite.

Working out is all about moderation and finding a plan that not only fits your goals, but that keeps you healthy, and in fact, makes you healthier and stronger.

Working out 6x a week doing HIIT and lifting heavy weights will ruin you. Help us help you. And when we do decide to help you, then please listen to us :lol

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
I just wanted to add: I find that's the hardest thing about working out is finding some sort of plan or schedule that best suits you. That's the only reason why I am not doing anything, I tend to do too much research and over complicate things and end up doing nothing.

Last real work out schedule of mine was 4 years ago, ever since then it's just been spotty if at all.

Struct09

beelzebozo said:
do you find it takes a lot of commitment to not be tempted to do it more?

I personally found out the hard way. A couple of summers ago I was lifting and running so much that I came to a point where not only was my lifting being affected, but walking up a flight of stairs was a huge chore. When I eased up not only did I feel and perform better, but I also looked better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom