• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wraith

HolyStar said:
Hey guys how good is it to only have breakfast and eat nothing else for the rest of the day?

Bad idea. Your metabolism will slow to a crawl all day. You wont possibly be able to process the number of calories you would need to eat for breakfast in order to make up for the rest of the day, so much of it would get stored as fat.

jtardiou said:
hay just thought id ask -- does anyone have any experience with steroids?

i dont really know how that shit works. im a pretty small guy and id like to use some kind of stimulant to go to the gym so i can get a little bigger. i dont want to be fucking huge, just want to be nicely ripped.

is steroids purely a physical enhancer? what i mean is, will i feel different mentally when i work out? im sure most of you who have some experience in the gym know how stimulants work. sometimes i have no energy or enough will power to work out. is steroids a mental stimulant? can i just pop a few of these before the gym and get a solid workout?

and i dont want to be that guy who gets fucking huge in like 2 weeks. does taking small doses work? do they come in pills? is this shit even legal?

thanks. i ask this because a few friends of mine are giving me ideas -_-

I will try to write a longer answer tomorrow, but for now:

No, they are not legal.

They are a long term comittment.

I do think that there is a time and place to use them. 'Beginner' is not that time and place.

Yes, altering dosage produces very different results. One reason NFL players use small doses is to recover from their weekly/small injuries more quickly. Jay Cutler has used so much Human Growth Hormone [note, =/= steroids, I'm just giving an example] that his face is a different shape now.

Yes, some people do experience mental as well as physical effects. One person I know described his mental state during workouts while he was on cycle as something similar to ADD [my comparsion, not his].

No, you should not use them.

twofold

HolyStar said:
Hey guys how good is it to only have breakfast and eat nothing else for the rest of the day?

Human bodies are pretty amazing things. They do all they can to sustain life and make the most of what's given to them.

I used to only eat one meal in the day; dinner. What did it do? Make me fatter. I didn't understand why back then, but I read a book recently that explains it. The body goes into starvation mode and starts to store all the energy as fat. Your metabolism slows to a crawl as your body tries to preserve as much energy as possible.

Now, your overall weight might drop, but chances are you'll be suffering from muscle atrophy and your overall body fat will go up.

To explain it further, I'm going to post an example/extract from 'Burn the fat, feed the muscle'.

Why dieting can actually make you fatter.

Let’s take a look at how these physiological and psychological responses to low
calories affect the real world results of a typical dieter.

Suppose our “typical” dieter is a male who weights 200 pounds and has 18%
body fat. His goal is to lose 20-25 lbs.

Before the diet
18% body fat
36 lbs. fat
164 lbs. lean body mass

Like most people, our hapless dieter assumes that the best way to lose the body fat
is to starve, so he goes on a 1500 calorie per day diet. In the 1st week he loses 5 lbs.
and is very happy with himself. The second week he loses 4 lbs. Weeks three through six he
loses three pounds per week for a grand total of twenty-one pounds lost.

Our dieter now weighs 179 lbs. and he continued to lose weight steadily without
hitting a plateau (although the weight loss did slow down). Judging by the scale alone, he
has succeeded in his goal. On closer examination, however, we find that he has not been
so successful after all.

After the diet
179 lbs.
14.8% body fat
26.5 lbs. fat
Lean body mass 152.5 lbs.
Weight loss: 21 lbs.
Fat lost 9.5 lbs.
Lean body mass lost: 11.5

By judging his success in terms of body composition instead of scale weight, it
becomes clear that he has failed. Fifty five percent of his weight loss came from lean
body mass. The drop in lean body mass has decreased his basal metabolic rate so he is
now burning fewer calories each day than when he started. This has set him up for a
relapse.

Now that the (temporary) diet is “over, “ he goes off his diet. Few people have the
desire or willpower to stay on low calories for long. On a strict calorie and or foodrestricted
diet, almost everyone “falls of the wagon” sooner or later. After a long period
of low calories, his body “tricks him” into binge eating by triggering severe cravings and
hunger.

Even if he doesn’t binge and he simply goes back to “normal” eating again, his
body isn’t burning calories as efficiently as before. Therefore, the number of calories that
used to maintain his weight now causes him to gain weight. As the weeks pass, the
weight gradually creeps back on until he finally gains back all the fat he lost (plus a little
extra for interest).

6 weeks after the diet ends:
200 lbs.
20.5% body fat
41.1 lbs. fat
Lean body mass 158.9 lbs.

Now he is right back at 200 pounds where he started, with only one difference: He
has less muscle, more fat, and a slower metabolism than when he began. He has damaged
his metabolism and it will now be harder than ever to lose weight.

Onemic

what exactly do you eat outside of breakfast, lunch and dinner? Is it just water? tuna sandwiches? Oh and how much tuna should I have in a given day?(I currently have 2 tuna sandwiches on whole wheat bread for lunch and nothing else)

Oh and what would you recommend for dinners? I have my breakfast and lunch laid out with a bowl of original oats and 2 tuna sandwiches for lunch, but I have nothing really set for dinner.

twofold

Diet is a really hard thing to give advice on, mainly because everyone needs different things. If, for example, I was to post my diet (I eat 6 full meals a day, about 2500 calories worth), someone else might start eating the same stuff and find themselves putting on a load of fat.

I really recommend picking up 'Burn the fat, feed the muscle' to create a diet. It's 340-odd pages written by a guy who's proved himself in the world of bodybuilding with good results. The book doesn't give you a specific diet to follow, but it gives you the tools necessary to create your own. The book costs $40 and can be found here. It is an ebook though, and, as such, can be found through.. other sources.

Here's my diet. As twofold said, your mileage may vary. Also, keep in mind 1) that I have a good body type for this sort of thing, and 2) that I do pretty demanding workouts.

Breakfast
3 eggs
1 banana
maybe some wheat toast

Lunch
cup of tuna salad or chicken salad
plain lettuce

Afternoon Shake
skim milk
1 serving protein powder
some natural peanut butter
some oatmeal

Dinner (version 1)
chicken breast
rice or mixed vegetables

Dinner (version 2)
1/2 lb lean ground beef
some taco sauce
tomatoes or lettuce

Pre-bedtime snack
water + protein mix

To drink: usually water, sometimes a diet Coke

Post-Workout Shake
Skim milk
Creatine
3-4-5 cups of Surge
one diet Vault

mr stroke

Captain Glanton said:
I will try to write a longer answer tomorrow, but for now:

No, they are not legal.

They are a long term comittment.

I do think that there is a time and place to use them. 'Beginner' is not that time and place.

Yes, altering dosage produces very different results. One reason NFL players use small doses is to recover from their weekly/small injuries more quickly. Jay Cutler has used so much Human Growth Hormone [note, =/= steroids, I'm just giving an example] that his face is a different shape now.

Yes, some people do experience mental as well as physical effects. One person I know described his mental state during workouts while he was on cycle as something similar to ADD [my comparsion, not his].

No, you should not use them.

+1

I can't really understand why someone would use them outside of being or becoming an athlete. Why put your self at health risk just to show off?

Onemic

This is my current diet i'm planning on having:

Monday-Friday

Breakfast

Oatmeal(plain)

Lunch

2 tuna sandwiches(maybe fruits as well)

Dinner

White rice
chicken breast

Inbetween
- Lots of water

Saturday-Sunday

breakfast

2 eggs
1 orange

Lunch

2 tuna sandwiches

Dinner

Rice
1 chicken breast

Inbetween- Lots of water

Is this a good plan? Or should I add/remove some stuff. My main goal is to lose weight in case any of you didn't know. I'm aiming for losing 30 by the end of march.

twofold

Since it seems to be the cool thing to do, I guess I'll post mine. I aim for 20% fat, 45% carbohydrates and 35% protein in my diet. I eat six meals a day; once every 2h40m.

Breakfast #1 - 5 egg whites, 1 egg yolk. Banana. 1 scoop whey (ON 100% gold standard)

Breakfast #2 - Two weetabix, banana, apple and some almonds.

The next three meals are interchangable. I cook all my food and proportion the meals accordingly. Each meal contains a lean protein (such as fish, turkey breast or chicken breast), a starchy carbohydrate (I eat a lot of basmati rice - while it's not as good for you as brown rice, I just can't stomach the sweet taste of brown rice; wholegrain pasta is great too) and then a fibrous carbohydrate (list here). I come from an Indian heritage, so I'm used to having loads of spices and what not in my food. A couple of peppers, some garam masala, turmeric, green chili's and tomato puree mixed in with a piece of meat and water makes a gorgeous, simple curry that is very healthy. I adore food, and I love that the stuff that I like eating integrates perfectly with my diet.

I then finish the day off with a can of tuna with some green salad/spinach leaves and just a dash of honey mustard sauce.

In terms of calories, I eat somewhere in the region of 2300-2400 a day. My biggest meal is the first one of the day, with each meal slowly getting smaller over the course of the day. I eat a lot of almonds and fruit, too. I'm currently cutting and dropping 2-3lbs-ish per week (although, I dropped 5 for some really strange reason last week..).

I love my diet.

onemic said:
This is my current diet i'm planning on having:

<diet>

Inbetween- Lots of water

Is this a good plan? Or should I add/remove some stuff. My main goal is to lose weight in case any of you didn't know. I'm aiming for losing 30 by the end of march.

I'd really work some more protein in there--definitely for breakfast during the week. More protein means more robut physique means your body burns up more energy means less fat.

Onemic

Captain Glanton said:
I'd really work some more protein in there--definitely for breakfast during the week. More protein means more robut physique means your body burns up more energy means less fat.

hmm...I just saw a thread recently about the atkins diet. Would that be a good dieting plan? Tons of protein and low in carbs.

twofold

onemic said:
Ya, I already knew atkins was a short term thing. And ya, I know you simply can't eat anything you want so long as it's low in carbs. So would it be good if I stayed on it for maybe 4 months or so and from there move on to a normal diet?

Sounds like you just want a quick fix. Unfortunately, if you go in with the magic pill mentality, you're not going to get long term results that'll work. According to Tony Robbins, only 1% of the folks who go out there and diet actually lose weight and keep it off. Staggering statistic!

Look, accept this fact. Losing weight is going to take time. You're not going to wake up the next day and see this whole new different you. Marketers have conditioned society to believe in the concept of a magic pill; atkins and diets of that ilk are devised with this in mind.

I could go on further with a tiny rant, but I'll just leave you to read those two articles that I've linked earlier and ask that you make your own mind up about this sort of thing. There'll always be someone out there with an opposing viewpoint, so relying on others to give you "dos" and "don'ts" is a fruitless endeavour.

Do your own research.

Make up your own mind.

Onemic

twofold said:
Sounds like you just want a quick fix. Unfortunately, if you go in with the magic pill mentality, you're not going to get long term results that'll work. According to Tony Robbins, only 1% of the folks who go out there and diet actually lose weight and keep it off. Staggering statistic!

Look, accept this fact. Losing weight is going to take time. You're not going to wake up the next day and see this whole new different you. Marketers have conditioned society to believe in the concept of a magic pill; atkins and diets of that ilk are devised with this in mind.

I could go on further with a tiny rant, but I'll just leave you to read those two articles that I've linked earlier and ask that you make your own mind up about this sort of thing. There'll always be someone out there with an opposing viewpoint, so relying on others to give you "dos" and "don'ts" is a fruitless endeavour.

Do your own research.

Make up your own mind.

You missed the edited post. Ya, the 'normal diet' term I used was a really bad example of what I wanted to do.

twofold

This'll be my final post on this as I'm heading out in a few minutes time.

I'd like to state, I haven't done the atkins diet or a low carb diet or any such thing, so I can't honestly comment on its effectiveness. To do so would be folly.

All I can say is, for me (and the people I've chosen to model myself on -- the bodybuilders and models who need to effectively burn fat while building muscle in as efficient and healthy manner as possible as their livelihoods depend on it), the act of creating a nutritionally balanced diet plan (a 'normal diet', as you put it) but eating 5-10% less of it has worked wonders, and it will work long term while maintaining health.

Now, as I tried to point out in my last post, there is more than enough information out there to make up your own mind. Instead of relying on the opinions of others, why not form your own? Be decisive and take control of your own body, instead of doing what someone else thinks you should do with it.

Experiment and try new exercises, new diets, whatever. Then take what you've learned from it and tweak what you're doing. It's the only way you're going to be able to learn what works and what doesn't.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Like I have said before if you diet you will fail. Diet means short term and will go back to old habits once you reach your goals. Once you go back the weigh will come back. Life style change for the rest of your life is the only way. You need to find foods that are halfway decent for you that you don't mind eating or even enjoy. Find the calorie range that works for your body. Work out 5 days a week, get enough protein and don't get to up or down. If you have a bad day you need to forget when you wake up the next morning. If you have a great day you need to forget it when you wake up the next morning. Avoid that roller coaster of highs and lows that leads to quitting.

I can't say this loudly enough

The crucial thing is that you are exercising strenuously several times a week and eating a diet based on lean meat, fruit, vegetables, and water.

If you aren't already doing those two things, then there is no point worrying about anything else.

Small diet question here.

I do mild lifting 2-3 days a week, and cardio 3 days a week. My goal is to tone a bit, maybe even put on a wee bit of muscle, but I am not really trying to lose weight; I'm a decent 160, 5'10" with a medium-sized frame.

I've for the past few months cut out all beverages, except water, and 1-2 Powerade/Gatorades a week if I've had a particularly hard cardio session.

I'm just curious, can I do harm by not drinking other beverages? I love water, it's very cheap and tastes good, and I know it is good for me, I'm just worried I may be missing something I need that I'd find in other drinks.

jtardiou

Banned
Captain Glanton said:
I can't say this loudly enough

The crucial thing is that you are exercising strenuously several times a week and eating a diet based on lean meat, fruit, vegetables, and water.

If you aren't already doing those two things, then there is no point worrying about anything else.

this

Wraith

onemic said:
You missed the edited post. Ya, the 'normal diet' term I used was a
really bad example of what I wanted to do.

I'm going to echo what Twofold said. Venuto's Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle plan is solid(though I think his carb intake is pretty high if you follow the plan as given). It gives you a lot of maneuvering in regards to what you can eat and feels less like a diet and more like a lifestyle change. I would venture to say, though, that any of the non-extreme diets - The Zone and Abs diets come to mind - will work in this way. As Quest said, you need to think of it more as a lifestyle change and less as a diet. Any of the above diets will teach you to make better food choices('eating clean').

Atkins/T-Dawg 2.0/Velocity/CKD will certainly work, but I would not maintain myself on them simply because they are so extreme. They will work, though, and plenty of people around the world can attest to that.

I would start off with a fairly mild(mild in terms of requirements, not results) plan like Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle, Abs, or Zone and work from there.

Wraith

Soka said:
Small diet question here.

I do mild lifting 2-3 days a week, and cardio 3 days a week. My goal is to tone a bit, maybe even put on a wee bit of muscle, but I am not really trying to lose weight; I'm a decent 160, 5'10" with a medium-sized frame.

I've for the past few months cut out all beverages, except water, and 1-2 Powerade/Gatorades a week if I've had a particularly hard cardio session.

I'm just curious, can I do harm by not drinking other beverages? I love water, it's very cheap and tastes good, and I know it is good for me, I'm just worried I may be missing something I need that I'd find in other drinks.

No. You can definitely get by on just water.

deadbeef

Wraith said:
No. You can definitely get by on just water.

emot-eng101.gif

Don't forget to make sure you drink fluoridated water - it's good for your teeth!

I need some help with my chest workout. My inside chest really needs to be worked more. What are some exercises I can do to target the inside chest? and is there any site/chart that shows which exercises target what part of the muscle?

Chichikov

Straightballin said:
I need some help with my chest workout. My inside chest really needs to be worked more. What are some exercises I can do to target the inside chest? and is there any site/chart that shows which exercises target what part of the muscle?
How do you determine that your "inside chest" need to be worked more?
And personally I believe that your goal should be working as much muscle groups as possible, not isolating and targeting specific parts.
Bench presses and dips should cover your pecs just fine.

I have a question about cardio and weight training. Sometimes when I lift weights, especially when doing compound movements that involve a lot of muscles, my heart rate increases quite dramatically. For instance, 6-7 deadlifts in quick succession, or a bunch of squats in a row. This heart rate increase often is more than what happens with typical cardio exercises, such as stationary bike or elliptical. What is the physiology behind this? How can I train this type of cardio more? (I guess by doing it more--but I'm still curious.)

Chichikov said:
How do you determine that your "inside chest" need to be worked more?
And personally I believe that your goal should be working as much muscle groups as possible, not isolating and targeting specific parts.
Bench presses and dips should cover your pecs just fine.

I never said I was going to soley work on the inside of my chest. I just want to add another workout or two to my routine. The inside of my chest is flat and looks underdeveloped.

Chichikov

perryfarrell said:
I have a question about cardio and weight training. Sometimes when I lift weights, especially when doing compound movements that involve a lot of muscles, my heart rate increases quite dramatically. For instance, 6-7 deadlifts in quick succession, or a bunch of squats in a row. This heart rate increase often is more than what happens with typical cardio exercises, such as stationary bike or elliptical. What is the physiology behind this? How can I train this type of cardio more? (I guess by doing it more--but I'm still curious.)
You work lots of muscles very hard, they need oxygen, the heart and lungs work hard to deliver.
As for using weight training for cardio, you can definitely do it, but effective cardio exercise need to be long, so you'll to either do really long light reps, superset everything or run/cycle/skip between reps.
Personally I find all of these approaches take away from the effectiveness of my strength training, plus I imagine that getting as effective cardio exercise out it as running is going to be pretty hard.

Straightballin said:
I never said I was going to soley work on the inside of my chest. I just want to add another workout or two to my routine. The inside of my chest is flat and looks underdeveloped.
I'm still not exactly sure what you mean, but regardless - as I said before, bench presses and dips should cover your pecs just fine.
You can't really sculpt your chest in a specific way, it will grow the way it grows, just keep working on it.

Forgot to ask this earlier, but does anyone have a recommendation for a good multivitamin to take? As I said above, I'm not really looking for any major muscle gains, just a bit of overall toning and staying in the habit of a healthy life style (I already eat a large variety of foods, and avoid excessive junk food). I currently just take the standard Centrum tablet daily with lunch.

Anyone have a suggestion for something that might be better as far as adding a bit of nutrition to my diet, or just a cheaper alternative that is just as effective? I don't take Centrum as an alternative to getting nutrition through food, just as a supplement in case I miss any key components of nutrition from one day to the next.

Chichikov

Soka said:
Forgot to ask this earlier, but does anyone have a recommendation for a good multivitamin to take? As I said above, I'm not really looking for any major muscle gains, just a bit of overall toning and staying in the habit of a healthy life style (I already eat a large variety of foods, and avoid excessive junk food). I currently just take the standard Centrum tablet daily with lunch.

Anyone have a suggestion for something that might be better as far as adding a bit of nutrition to my diet, or just a cheaper alternative that is just as effective? I don't take Centrum as an alternative to getting nutrition through food, just as a supplement in case I miss any key components of nutrition from one day to the next.
I'm not taking any multivitamins.
The science on them is still a bit inconclusive, and honestly, our body had evolved to eat food, not pills.
You should be able to get everything you need from food, real food, the type that does not come from a bottle.
And for a young, healthy eating person, I'm not sure I see huge benefits in taking Centrum.
Granted, I'm neither an MD nor a nutritionist, but FWIW, my Doctor share this belief.

I'm pretty sure Michael Pollan's Unhappy Meals article has been linked in GAF many time, but it worth repeating.

excerpt:
1. Eat food. Though in our current state of confusion, this is much easier said than done. So try this: Don't eat anything your great-great-grandmother wouldn't recognize as food. (Sorry, but at this point Moms are as confused as the rest of us, which is why we have to go back a couple of generations, to a time before the advent of modern food products.) There are a great many foodlike items in the supermarket your ancestors wouldn't recognize as food (Go-Gurt? Breakfast-cereal bars? Nondairy creamer?); stay away from these.

2. Avoid even those food products that come bearing health claims. They're apt to be heavily processed, and the claims are often dubious at best. Don't forget that margarine, one of the first industrial foods to claim that it was more healthful than the traditional food it replaced, turned out to give people heart attacks. When Kellogg's can boast about its Healthy Heart Strawberry Vanilla cereal bars, health claims have become hopelessly compromised. (The American Heart Association charges food makers for their endorsement.) Don't take the silence of the yams as a sign that they have nothing valuable to say about health.

3. Especially avoid food products containing ingredients that are a) unfamiliar, b) unpronounceable c) more than five in number -- or that contain high-fructose corn syrup.None of these characteristics are necessarily harmful in and of themselves, but all of them are reliable markers for foods that have been highly processed.

p.s.
This of course does not quite apply to bodybuilding, and I most certainly see benefits from having some supplements if that's your goal.

Chichikov said:
I'm pretty sure Michael Pollan's Unhappy Meals article has been linked in GAF many time, but it worth repeating.

I don't agree with every word of that article, but people in this thread wondering what they should eat--and just as importantly, how they might have gotten overweight eating a "normal" American diet--need to read it.

I hit a high water mark of intensity today, I think. I did some shoulder work with the dumbbells, then Ninja Warrior pullups for 3 sets of 10. Then I did some more of the Tabata Method with dips and pullups [which I've described in the last few pages], with a little modification. I did:

5 dips, 3 pullups each set, with a 10 second break between sets, for a four minute song on the iPod. I did this with a 25 lb plate on the ol' chain belt.

For my second set, I did the same routine without the plate, except I was listening to Guns n Roses's "Paradise City." I didn't realize until I got home that the song is 6:46--I use an iPod Shuffle, so no display. Wow. By the end, I was struggling to do 3 dips and 2 pullups.

I'm also very excited for tomorrow. I got my new knee wraps from Inzer in the mail this week, and I'm going to try them out on back squats. Should be exciting.

Joe

ok, so i started using fitday and i'm really surprised/dissapointed by how my diet breaks down.

i've only done it for one 24 hour period but my diet really doesn't vary much so i think it would be safe to assume these numbers to be close to this over a longer sample size:

6'2", 183lbs

1,500 calories (seems low?)
64g fat (saturated 18g, poly 16, mono 26)
156g carbs (holy shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) (18g fiber)
71g protein

i haven't done too much research but from just looking at the numbers, i think i need to cut my carbs by more than half and more than double my protein. does that seem right? would 2 whey protein shakes a day do the trick?

i have no clue if my fat intake and breakdown is good or not.

i do moderate weight lifting 3 times a week, and cardio 5-6 times a week if that matters.

deadbeef

Joe said:
ok, so i started using fitday and i'm really surprised/dissapointed by how my diet breaks down.

i've only done it for one 24 hour period but my diet really doesn't vary much so i think it would be safe to assume these numbers to be close to this over a longer sample size:

6'2", 183lbs

1,500 calories (seems low?)
64g fat (saturated 18g, poly 16, mono 26)
156g carbs (holy shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) (18g fiber)
71g protein

i haven't done too much research but from just looking at the numbers, i think i need to cut my carbs by more than half and more than double my protein. does that seem right? would 2 whey protein shakes a day do the trick?

i have no clue if my fat intake and breakdown is good or not.

i do moderate weight lifting 3 times a week, and cardio 5-6 times a week if that matters.

Do you have any idea what your bodyfat percentage is?

Chichikov

Captain Glanton said:
5 dips, 3 pullups each set, with a 10 second break between sets, for a four minute song on the iPod. I did this with a 25 lb plate on the ol' chain belt.

For my second set, I did the same routine without the plate, except I was listening to Guns n Roses's "Paradise City." I didn't realize until I got home that the song is 6:46--I use an iPod Shuffle, so no display. Wow. By the end, I was struggling to do 3 dips and 2 pullups.

I'm also very excited for tomorrow. I got my new knee wraps from Inzer in the mail this week, and I'm going to try them out on back squats. Should be exciting.
I love the Hudson Hawk system.
Works brilliantly with long endurance set or isometrics.

HolyStar

Banned
Ok I was just wondering. Also I've been working out lately and here is my next question. How long should you wait till you do another workout?

Chichikov

HolyStar said:
Ok I was just wondering. Also I've been working out lately and here is my next question. How long should you wait till you do another workout?
Depends on the type of training and your goals.
Common wisdom is that hard weight training requires at least a day off between trainings for maximum results.

Personally at this point, I hit the gym for my mental health as much as my physical health, so I go 5 times a week, and yes, you can make it work as well.
My advice is listen to your body.
It will tell you if you work too much or too hard.

deadbeef

Joe said:
if a digital scale is anything to go by, about 16.5%

Although those type of scales aren't necessarily accurate, they are good for net fat loss/gain. So if you keep using it under the same conditions you can have a good idea if you are gaining or losing fat.

Let's pretend it is correct. If that is so, then you have ~153 lbs. of lean body mass (LBM). In general, it is a good idea to have .75 to 1.0 grams of protein for each pound of LBM. So you need to be in the 114 - 153 grams of protein range daily. At 4 calories per gram, that gives you 456 - 612 calories from protein.

After that, I would say that 50-60 grams of fat is probably sufficient. At 9 calories per gram, that is approximately 450 - 540 calories from fat.

So given fat and protein, we have 906 - 1152 calories from protein and fat.

You can vary the amount of carbohydrate in your diet to gain/lose weight. On the low end, you could give yourself 2-3 grams carbs per pound of LBM. Or on the high end 5-6 or something, per pound LBM. Carbs have 4 calories per gram.

So yeah, you are right. Your protein needs to be doubled, but otherwise your diet seems pretty reasonable.

Captain Glanton said:
It isn't.

I'd say that you should cut your carbs by half and at least double your protein intake--more if your workouts are very intense.

It is perfectly acceptable to use this method of bodyfat measuring if he uses it at the same time every day. Although the actual bodyfat percentage might not be correct, the delta +/- from his starting percentage will be more or less correct.

HolyStar

Banned
Sorry to ask these questions but when I want to treat myself with something other than water. What are the juices that one would pick, cranberry?

deadbeef

HolyStar said:
Sorry to ask these questions but when I want to treat myself with something other than water. What are the juices that one would pick, cranberry?

Whatever, just watch the serving size. Juices are calorie-dense foods. Cranberry is fine, if that is what you like.

I dont know if its depression from working 4 days straight 9+ hours-- but I worked out yesterday and today-- but bought a box of popeyes chicken after the gym.. ate 3 thighs, 1 breast, and a drumstick-- with a whole lot of bready carbs. Now I feel sick and have the biggest urge to purge.

Fitness is too hard.

deadbeef

courage201 said:
I dont know if its depression from working 4 days straight 9+ hours-- but I worked out yesterday and today-- but bought a box of popeyes chicken after the gym.. ate 3 thighs, 1 breast, and a drumstick-- with a whole lot of bready carbs. Now I feel sick and have the biggest urge to purge.

Fitness is too hard.

Shake it off man, don't be down on yourself. It's a marathon not a sprint.

Chichikov

Dice Man said:
Shake it off man, don't be down on yourself. It's a marathon not a sprint.
Yeah, it's so inconsequential in the grand scheme of things that it's not worth talking about.
Everyone indulges bad food from time to time, don't worry about it.

courage201 said:
Fitness is too hard.
It really shouldn't be.
If you're a beginner and you're hating you regime or finding it too hard just change it.
The most important thing is to find something you enjoy and can keep on doing.
Once you get into the habit of things (and you will, adrenaline is awesome) you can start worry about upping your intensity or maximizing your effectiveness.

deadbeef

Chichikov said:
Yeah, it's so inconsequential in the grand scheme of things that it's not worth talking about.
Everyone indulges bad food from time to time, don't worry about it.

Indeed. I had buffalo wings, fish & chips, and beer today because it is Saturday and I always have a free meal on Saturday. It keeps me sane. I will go back to dieting tomorrow. No big deal.

I love fish & chips.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Chichikov said:

Sounds a lot like my diet. And I eat as such out of habit and developed taste, not for the sake of a diet or anything like that.

Today I had;

Breakfast: (woke up late, so no lunch): A big bowl of cereals with milk. An apple. Two slices of wholegrain bread dipped in some maple syrup. Some marinated beats (yeah I know it's not breakfast food but I like them).

A bit later: a lot of delicious yogurt.

Dinner: A large salmon fillet cooked in some oil and butter with onions, which was then added to a big salad with tomatoes, lentils, green olives, balsamic vinegar.

Later on, another big bowl of cereals.

It's not a lot tho, because I always end up skipping a meal on weekends since I wakeup late. The rest of my diet would be nuts, fruit juice (one glass usually), avocados, some dried fruits, stuff like that. I never buy pre-made meals, "bars", cookies, or anything like that.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Dice Man said:
emot-eng101.gif

Don't forget to make sure you drink fluoridated water - it's good for your teeth!

No it is not! It is a poison, outlawed in many European countries, and only present in our water because of pressure from lobbyists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom