• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
how long do you plan to run? i eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast each morning, then a few hours later--usually four or so--i eat a big apple and do 15+ miles. granted, occasionally i misjudge that and hit some stomach cramps, but i'd rather run light than try and go with a lot on my stomach. i just want the energy from the apple, not that feeling of fullness, you know?

Kastro said:
anyone have any suggestions for something light to eat before a run, preferably something I can take to work?

My dilemma is that I like to run right after work, so I don't want to have to run home, eat something, wait like an hour, and then go out and run.

So I need something to snack on like an hour before I leave work. I know health gurus usually shun any of those kind of power bar things but it might be my best option if I stick with maybe a low sugar one.

most power/energy bars < boiled crap. Fruit, homemade granola, peanuts are all possibilities here. If one apple doesn't sound like enough, eat two. Drink plenty of water with it and you should feel full [in the good sense] while you run.

Gruco

Banned
Unless you're planning on running for over two hours or something an apple is fine. Overeating before a run is a much bigger problem than undereating. You don't need to eat a lot if you're only a few hours removed from your last meal.

Kastro

Banned
beelzebozo said:
how long do you plan to run? i eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast each morning, then a few hours later--usually four or so--i eat a big apple and do 15+ miles. granted, occasionally i misjudge that and hit some stomach cramps, but i'd rather run light than try and go with a lot on my stomach. i just want the energy from the apple, not that feeling of fullness, you know?

just regular 45 mins or so.. not like marathons or anything.

Ive actually been okay with just running on the food from my lunch, but I've been wondering if I'm not getting as much energy as I could.

what I meant by an apple not being enough was the lack of protein. but maybe I'm ill-informed and overrating protein in relation to cardio. I know it's good for weight lifting.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i tend to think eating or the state of your stomach in general shouldn't be something that's on your mind while you're running; the key, then, is finding the right amount of food to eat a set time before you work out that will make your gut a non-issue while you're exercising. too little and obviously you'll feel weak and not have a good run. too much and you'll feel leaden and the result's the same. just sort of play with it and find the balance that's right for you. the truth is that no one can tell you exactly what's going to work, as it's really dependent on your body make and what not.

to your question about protein, i can't speak to it, as my exercise methods are relatively crackpot. i just do what makes me feel good before/after i work out, and i work from there. glanton seems to be much more informed on the scientific end than me in that regard, so he's the man to ask

Gruco

Banned
Kastro said:
just regular 45 mins or so.. not like marathons or anything.

Ive actually been okay with just running on the food from my lunch, but I've been wondering if I'm not getting as much energy as I could.
You should be fine. The only thing I might recommend is a cup of tea or a small amount of dark chocolate, but even that is kinda trivial.
Kastro said:
what I meant by an apple not being enough was the lack of protein. but maybe I'm ill-informed and overrating protein in relation to cardio. I know it's good for weight lifting.
Don't worry about the protein as much before a run. Afterwards, is more important. 4:1 carb:protein is the general rule of thumb.

Boogie

Captain Glanton said:
Wanderlei Silva

Shit, there used to be other clips on YouTube of other MMA guys training--I remember one specifically of Bas Rutten doing some circuit training. I guess they've all been pulled.

Anyway, MMA fighters know as much about strong abs as anyone. I'd try to find info about what they do. Punching, sprawling, mat work, swinging the sledgehammer, all will do wonders for you. Moving your body with speed and power will strengthen your core a lot more than doing just crunches on the floor.

Team Tompkins finishes every kickboxing class with about 5-10 minutes of strictly abs work. crunches, twisting situps, leg raises, bicycle-kicks, that sort of thing. Other than that, just basic drills of padwork, sparring, sprawling and the like.

Joe

can someone either list or post a site where i can find good and low-carb snacks and meal ideas? it's very frustrating finding stuff to eat that's low carb.

also what items that aren't exactly low-carb but ok to eat in moderation? cereals, veggies?

Joe said:
can someone either list or post a site where i can find good and low-carb snacks and meal ideas? it's very frustrating finding stuff to eat that's low carb.

also what items that aren't exactly low-carb but ok to eat in moderation? cereals, veggies?

Quick list:
Great
chicken
tuna
vegetables
fruit [just don't go crazy]

So-So
beef
whole grains [rice, breads, pasta]
low fat milk

Basically Never
refined sugars [aka, non-fruit sugars]
white breads & pasta
bagels
cereals
anything that comes shrink-wrapped
any liquid with > 0 calories [and isn't skim milk]

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
So when I start working out from being untrained and build some muscle, I notice that my limbs fall asleep sooner than they did before. Is that normal?

Nolan. said:
I can't do the tucked planche yet but i'm close!.

remember to face fingures out to the sides, and also lean forward into you shoulders...when you get a proper planche leaning forward and stretching out will keep your ass down...which is actually harder than you think, since you can't see what your ass is doing when you in a planche.

For approaching planche, Im not really sure what specific ways...I did quite a lot of weights, buts stopped five or so years ago..mainly I got alot of strength from doing bboying. But I think press ups, pull ups, turtle/hand-glide freeze, and also hand hold stuff will help.

Shoho

Banned
Captain Glanton said:
Quick list:
Great
chicken
tuna
vegetables

So-So
beef
low fat milk

Basically Never
white breads & pasta
bagels
cereals

how about low fat youghurt(drinking)? and low fat chocolate? is that kind of low fat milk products okay?

if its around 100g, is it okay if it has around 2g fat and 5g carb? in a 1 liter bottle... or is that to much?

Kastro

Banned
Captain Glanton said:
Quick list:
Great
chicken
tuna
vegetables

So-So
beef
low fat milk

Basically Never
white breads & pasta
bagels
cereals

I'm pretty good with following that, but my problem is still breakfast. I usually have a quick bowl of cereal which is under your "never" list.

I usually only get like 15 minutes for breakfast in the morning before I head out, so it's not like I can whip up some egg whites or w/e. And no I'm not waking up earlier for breakfast, I get up early enough as it is, and sleep is important for dieting too. :D

Suggestions?

Kastro said:
I'm pretty good with following that, but my problem is still breakfast. I usually have a quick bowl of cereal which is under your "never" list.

I usually only get like 15 minutes for breakfast in the morning before I head out, so it's not like I can whip up some egg whites or w/e. And no I'm not waking up earlier for breakfast, I get up early enough as it is, and sleep is important for dieting too. :D

Suggestions?

Go to bed earlier. :D

Seriously, with a little bit of planning even the very busy can eat right. I'm revising my dissertation and teaching, and I still get my three eggs every morning and five meals a day.

onemic said:
How do you do shadow boxing properly and how long should I be doing it for?

Balls of your feet, bouncing with good leg movement. Keep your arms and fists loose and snap the punches. Try to picture as a target the face of those guys who gave you shit in the 'girl thread.' A few minutes of honest, hard shadowboxing will feel like forever. A few rounds of that is an excellent workout in itself.

Mr.City said:
Boy, oh boy, where has this thread been hiding?

thor01pg00b.jpg

Onemic

Captain Glanton said:
Balls of your feet, bouncing with good leg movement. Keep your arms and fists loose and snap the punches. Try to picture as a target the face of those guys who gave you shit in the 'girl thread.' A few minutes of honest, hard shadowboxing will feel like forever. A few rounds of that is an excellent workout in itself.

I really don't like using the elliptical, so can shadow boxing really replace it as a cardio excercise?(I'm assuming I should do it for around 10-15min? with maybe three rounds total?)

brocke

Banned
I just jog for thirty minutes every other day and eat right. that's all you really need to do to whip your but into shape. Oh and I do situps every day which takes about 2 minutes.

GhaleonEB

Does anyone have a recommendation for a ~$1000 elliptical machine? My wife and I are researching them now for purchase in the next few weeks.

Onemic

When you say tuna, do you mean fresh tuna or is canned tuna like this alright? Also would salami and capicolo ham fall under lean meats?

Tuna_Chunks_Can.jpg

onemic said:
When you say tuna, do you mean fresh tuna or is canned tuna like this alright? Also would salami and capicolo ham fall under lean meats?

Tuna_Chunks_Can.jpg

Not sure that's a pic I needed to see, but yes, canned tuna. And chicken just means frozen breasts out of the bag.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i have never seen canned tuna look so unappetizing. and i love canned tuna. you couldn't have picked a less flattering picture

Holy Shit!!!
Own a Crossbow and have used it 2-3 times a week along with some freeweights to stay in shape over the last 4 years.
Wasn't neccesarily looking for gains just staying in shape.
Tried to change things up a bit on Sunday. Did this workout I saw on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UheCchftswc
*Really wished the dude wore a shirt. Just not my thing. "Not that there is anything wrong with it.":lol
This thing kicked my ass!!!! I'm not so sure I didn't damage my biceps. I am still in pain 2 days later. Really hurts to try and straighten out my arms. I'm not exactly small as I use 60lb dumbells for concentration curls. So I am shocked how much my biceps kill. Speaking of shocked that must be exactly what I did to my muscles.
Going to give the chest workout a try once my biceps heal.
Look forward to visiting this thread again as more than working out I need to work on my diet. Wouldn't mind a little muscle gain while really concentrating on getting lean over the next 10 months.

Okay, so I'm slightly overweight and I want to burn off all of my excess body fat, whilst toning and reasonably building the muscle I have. I've been on a diet for the last couple of weeks, and I've been going to the gym for the last few months sporadically on account of the holidays and my gym partners working incompatible hours. I'm ready now to throw myself into it seriously, so can anyone tell me if the following plan is missing anything (or is just plain retarded)?

Hard for me to find good healthy places to eat near where I work, and harder still for me to make my own food before work, but basically I'm going to be eating a six inch low fat Subway sandwich at around 9:00, 13:00 and 17:00 every weekday. Typically on wheat bread, roast chicken or turkey/ham/roast beef, no sauces (maybe honey mustard if I get really bored), lot of salad. Alternately when it's a little colder I can grab soup, or sushi if I ever find a decent place near here. This should put me at around 120 grams of carbs, 60 grams of protein and 15 grams of fat by 17:00 every day, drinking water or diet sodas and maybe grabbing a single coffee from time to time. At somewhere between 19:30 and 21:00 I'll eat a small amount of whatever my family has for dinner; avoiding the potatoes/bread and sticking to the vegetables/meat/rice. If what they have is just plain bad for you, I'll eat an apple or a banana or something. On Tuesday nights I do pilates, and I'll be (hopefully) visiting the gym for an 1.5 hour workout about 2 or 3 nights a week which includes about 25 minutes total of cardio work in addition to my weights. I was considering getting some whey protein to mix with milk and drink after every workout, but I'm hearing conflicting things on just how worthwhile that is - might be good just to get my calcium. I'm only going to be drinking about once a week, and I'll keep the amount of drinks to a minimum - a few vodkas in soda water with some real lime juice, usually.

So is there anything patently obvious I'm missing, besides the face that I'll be fucking sick of sandwiches in about 3 weeks? Should I replace one of the sandwiches with some fruit or something?

Onemic

Last question...I think, I usually eat drumsticks for for dinner, but in most cases they have some type of seasoning on them(Most of the time it's BBQ or something else) Is that alright or should I simply eat the chicken plain?

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Shoho said:
how about low fat youghurt(drinking)? and low fat chocolate? is that kind of low fat milk products okay?

if its around 100g, is it okay if it has around 2g fat and 5g carb? in a 1 liter bottle... or is that to much?

Cottage cheese is also a good choice it's high in protein and low carb/fat.

Just ran into this thread, I'm also working out right now. I've been doing so for the past 2 and half weeks(since the 5th). I'm on a 13 week workout plan, I'm trying to get as lean as I can by April 5th and then may bulk from there. I started at 176(I'm 5'7), and I guess my goal weight is 140. But I'm not too concern about the number, it's more about how I look. Assuming this thread is still around, I wouldn't mind posting my progress every couple of weeks.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
RumpledForeskin said:
I've heard drum sticks are the fattiest pieces of a chicken, how accurate is that?

legs and thighs are the fattiest, darkest, and most moist pieces of the chicken. they're also the most delicious, unfortunately; nothing wrong with breasts, though! just a different, dryer cut of meat.

Onemic

beelzebozo said:
legs and thighs are the fattiest, darkest, and most moist pieces of the chicken. they're also the most delicious, unfortunately; nothing wrong with breasts, though! just a different, dryer cut of meat.

You guys are changing my whole meal plan now.:lol So does the chicken(Which shall be breast now) have to be plain or can it be seasoned with stuff?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
uh, well, what are you trying to do? and by "seasoning" do you mean seasonings--dried herbs and spices--or do you mean buffalo sauce or something, that includes tons of butter and other fatty things? just be aware of what's going in your body. read labels!

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
-viper- said:
120g of Tuna everyday.

Can I eat it or is this unhealthy?

If you have any worries about mercury slowly incorporate tuna into your diet by say eating one or two cans a week eventually you can build on that over a long period of time. I eat two cans everyday and have for the past few years. Be ready for some bad gas tuna farts are deadly.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
That's a lot of mercury.

But yeah, tuna has a lot of proteins.

Onemic

beelzebozo said:
uh, well, what are you trying to do? and by "seasoning" do you mean seasonings--dried herbs and spices--or do you mean buffalo sauce or something, that includes tons of butter and other fatty things? just be aware of what's going in your body. read labels!

Well my aim is to lost 30 pounds by the end of march, so I know I need to completely change my eating lifestyle and exercise a ton(Currently i'm going to be doing shadowboxing, situps, and the riptoe program (when my schools gym becomes available for use in 2 weeks))

And in terms of seasonings I meant both. I guess BBQ sauces and the like are out of the question huh?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
it's only out of the question if you're wanting to not add unnecessary calories and stuff to your meal. i don't really believe in completely prohibiting items in your diet, so you should just prioritize and keep track of what you are putting in versus what you're burning, set that beside the pace you want to lose weight, and adjust appropriately

twofold

onemic said:
What's wrong with that?

Brine isn't too bad, so if you can't find spring water tuna, opt for that instead. Oil, on the other hand, is full of saturated fats. And we don't like those.

Edit -- Just wanted to add a little bit about Ross Enamait's most recent book, Never Gymless. It's an entirely bodyweight based exercise book with a great chapter on program design. If you're interested in a lean body with a great deal of functional strength and agility and don't want to pay to go to the gym, it's highly recommended.

There's some vids available of Ross doing his thing on youtube - http://youtube.com/watch?v=UdthWDUEKtY. 'Tis good stuff.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Here is what I suggest if you don't like eating the water tuna.

1- One avocado, not too ripe.
2- A few marinated beets.
3- The tuna!
4- A bit of olive oil (I guess people watching their diet have to take that one out).

Mix it all up nicely, and eat away! Good cold dish, and tuna is much more fun to eat as such.

I've been on low carb for around 20 days and the other day out of hurry I made myself a shake with 4 strawberries and some milk (no sugar or anything). Is that too much of a deviation? Should I use semi skimmed or skimmed milk better?

deadbeef

onemic said:
You guys are changing my whole meal plan now.:lol So does the chicken(Which shall be breast now) have to be plain or can it be seasoned with stuff?

Go ahead and season it. I find that the various Mrs. Dash seasonings are easy in a pinch and there is a wide enough variety that you can find something that will suit your taste.

I can't imagine plain chicken breasts for more than 1 meal. Blech. Just cause you are improving your diet doesn't mean you have to eat bland food.

Chicken stir fry is an excellent meal that can be very low in carbs, high in protein and low in fat. Good stuff.

onemic said:
Well my aim is to lost 30 pounds by the end of march, so I know I need to completely change my eating lifestyle and exercise a ton(Currently i'm going to be doing shadowboxing, situps, and the riptoe program (when my schools gym becomes available for use in 2 weeks))

And in terms of seasonings I meant both. I guess BBQ sauces and the like are out of the question huh?

Yes. Sorry. I grill the breasts plain on the George Foreman grill. Then, if I'm doing rice, I put the seasonings [those dried flake things, not sauces, although the BBQ version of the dried flakes is a reasonable approximation of real taste if you do it like this] in the rice about halfway through its boiling. It mixes better that way than putting it on the chicken and it's way easier to clean up.

Edit: plain chicken breasts with mixed vegetables is the hardcore way to go, but I'm always sure to have plenty of water on hand when I do that. It helps get the chicken down.

buckfutter said:
Okay, so I'm slightly overweight and I want to burn off all of my excess body fat, whilst toning and reasonably building the muscle I have. I've been on a diet for the last couple of weeks, and I've been going to the gym for the last few months sporadically on account of the holidays and my gym partners working incompatible hours. I'm ready now to throw myself into it seriously, so can anyone tell me if the following plan is missing anything (or is just plain retarded)?

Hard for me to find good healthy places to eat near where I work, and harder still for me to make my own food before work, but basically I'm going to be eating a six inch low fat Subway sandwich at around 9:00, 13:00 and 17:00 every weekday. Typically on wheat bread, roast chicken or turkey/ham/roast beef, no sauces (maybe honey mustard if I get really bored), lot of salad. Alternately when it's a little colder I can grab soup, or sushi if I ever find a decent place near here. This should put me at around 120 grams of carbs, 60 grams of protein and 15 grams of fat by 17:00 every day, drinking water or diet sodas and maybe grabbing a single coffee from time to time. At somewhere between 19:30 and 21:00 I'll eat a small amount of whatever my family has for dinner; avoiding the potatoes/bread and sticking to the vegetables/meat/rice. If what they have is just plain bad for you, I'll eat an apple or a banana or something. On Tuesday nights I do pilates, and I'll be (hopefully) visiting the gym for an 1.5 hour workout about 2 or 3 nights a week which includes about 25 minutes total of cardio work in addition to my weights. I was considering getting some whey protein to mix with milk and drink after every workout, but I'm hearing conflicting things on just how worthwhile that is - might be good just to get my calcium. I'm only going to be drinking about once a week, and I'll keep the amount of drinks to a minimum - a few vodkas in soda water with some real lime juice, usually.

So is there anything patently obvious I'm missing, besides the face that I'll be fucking sick of sandwiches in about 3 weeks? Should I replace one of the sandwiches with some fruit or something?

If going to Subway keeps you on track, then I respect that. But I think that you could save a whole bunch of money by buying big stacks of canned tuna and canned chicken and mixing them [separately, not together!] with some light mayo and relish. It would be a little healthier, too. Worst case, use that in place of two of your subs and still to go Subway for your last meal above.

I'd also go to the gym 3-4 times a week rather than 2-3.

Captain Glanton said:
If going to Subway keeps you on track, then I respect that. But I think that you could save a whole bunch of money by buying big stacks of canned tuna and canned chicken and mixing them [separately, not together!] with some light mayo and relish. It would be a little healthier, too. Worst case, use that in place of two of your subs and still to go Subway for your last meal above.

I'd also go to the gym 3-4 times a week rather than 2-3.
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I have pretty serious aversion to the taste of tuna unless it's cooked, but I'll look into the chicken for sure. I'm definitely going to need something to interrupt the Subway doldrums - like you said, it's mostly a matter of convenience and consistency for me that I'd spend the money every day.

If it were totally up to me I'd be going to the gym 3 times a week on set nights, but I don't drive, my gym is about 10 minutes away and my gym partners are rather unreliable as they work late night retail. I'll try for 3 times (plus the pilates class), but 2 is probably going to be more common. I might look into starting up a home routine like I used to do, but I find it pretty hard to stick to a fitness regime in the home environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom