• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official GAF Madden Season 2 Thread: I'm a Grabowski!

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
The drama is living on in the PS2 league,I love sitting back and watching it this time.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
:lol :lol i wish i was in this season so i could participate in all the drama.

Fuck that noise i can participate in the Drama anyway! i know what the hell's going on! I have a feeling this thread is gonna be comedy everytime i check it.

GAF
We Know Drama

fuck i was hoping for a kellogs cornflakes cereal box, but that picture always has been and always will be reserved for the man, the myth, the legend.... bog.

DMczaf

FrenchMovieTheme said:
and don't forget you can write team articles that will be displayed on the front page! i'm going to do one now as an example (and because DM loves it)

"After taking a 7-3 lead on a 46-yard touchdown run by Carnell (Yes I called that *** Carnell, and DM if you use any bullcrap analogies about bringing the Caddy out of the garage, riding the caddy to victory, or anything else you are banned from the league!) Williams"

:lol :lol

CB3

DMczaf said:
"After taking a 7-3 lead on a 46-yard touchdown run by Carnell (Yes I called that *** Carnell, and DM if you use any bullcrap analogies about bringing the Caddy out of the garage, riding the caddy to victory, or anything else you are banned from the league!) Williams"

:lol :lol :lol :lol

CB3

Fifty said:
What show were you watching, Bob?

He was watching game of the week on NFL Network, trying to firgure out how the Bears let Steve Smith get that wide open

DMczaf

American Idol over Madden?

gruden_7.jpg

Mrbob

I really need to get my week two game in before this friday.

FMT give me Mig in week two. I want to see if his game matches his mouth. :D

Mrbob

Woo hahhahahah. Why don't you get online now and we'll play a little scrimmage.

I have to get up for work in 6 hours but i'll manage. ;)

if you're going to no show, you're going to face the best ban in recent memory.

cuban: whenever you're ready, I'm on AIM so no worries!

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Mrbob said:
Oh don't you worry about me showing up.

You better worry about your gameplan against me when we play.

Mrbob

Matrix said:

This is Madden we are talking about. Not that piece of garbage NBA2K6. ;) But that isn't here or there to argue about in this thread.

I have a championship to defend. Thankfully I'm getting a ton of extra motivation do some major damage. :)

fellas! we aren't even a week into the season and everyone is getting chippy! i dont want to see anyone getting banned from GAF, we need the lines of communication open!

SickBoy

There was a good game, and you deserved to win, although I must partake in the Festivus ritual of the Airing of Grievances :)

First of all, Randy Moss is broken. Ridiculous that you can stare lovingly at him out of the pocket and still find him wide open... and even if he's not wide open he still catches it. Ridiculous. Did I mention it's ridiculous?

Second, I really wish we could have played out the first game we started. I didn't like the tone I set early in the second and found myself distracted by a couple of things (things that were happening within the game itself -- that was around the time I paused it those two times, and a little bit earlier than that).

Third, I hate you and want to cry now. :) But seriously, you played a very good game and deserved to win. In fact, it probably wouldn't have been so close if I didn't get some really big plays in (is this the patented Madden catch-up logic at work?).

I have other issues, but I'm going to post them separately because they relate entirely to Madden 06 itself and I don't want to make it seem like I'm making going excuse-crazy. I'll also wait until there are a few more posts so people don't have to read my complaining -- all condensed together at least. :)

As long as I'm in my computer room, I'll be recording these games, so highlights will go up. But I've got to be fair, so I'll be putting them all up, which means I've gotta do them for my preseason game vs. CK first. Target release date for highlights: Tomorrow night or Thursday.

EDIT: There is a gap in my recording, so it may not be a complete package, but I don't think I missed anything huge.

SickBoy

FMT: Is there a week 2 schedule? I have a day off on Thursday, and while I'm sure it may be frowned upon, it may be a great opportunity for me to play my second-week tilt...

boy my passing sucks. But good defense by cubanb, I think he has fought me well. Almost exacting revenge for his old controller (which btw, I'm on my 4th PS2 controller, just destroyed the rest). Turnovers is the name of my game. :(

Nice to see more drama back on to GAF. And all of you came crawling back!

Miguel

Fucking INTs own me in late game situations. :|

I play just like the Texans.

I should have just kicked a FG. :\

Matrix

Miguel said:

:lol

With Kris Brown? Roofles.

SickBoy

Miguel said:

That's one thing I did mean to mention about my game. A very Chargers-esque game. Stayed in it, had a chance late and couldn't convert.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Bobarooni: I can play tonight at 11 PM if you want to watch your stories again today. Wednesday's I'm just screwed because I've got foremen's meetings, staff meetings, and owners meetings. Falling asleep in any of 'em is career suicide.

If anyone else wants to play, you guys know I am always up for a battle. Working on something offensively that I kind of want to try out.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Let me know Bob. My girlfriend called me up and wants to meet up around 8 PM. I can delay it, push it up, whatever you need so you can play me.

Mrbob

I just got home. I'll be here for about the next 3 and a half hours. Otherwise we'll have to play later tonight.

Ophiuchus

Banned
well i borrowed a friends ps2 I'll have it for the duration the league, so if u guys havent replaced me I'd like to still play :)

Matrix

Mrbob said:
It is a conspiracy!!

Its pretty simple,since a videogame is on the line for winning the Superbowl,FMT has clearly rigged the EA servers so you cant play games and win ;)

SickBoy

What is the playoff format? With a loss already under my belt, I'd like to know where I have to be...

And, as promised, my gripes about Madden. If I'm wrong or if you have any tips to reduce my annoyances, let me know...

First of all, the 3-4 blows against the run. I'm not sure if it's that the blockers are too good at locking up linemen, that AI players are too slow to react or some combination, but whatever it is, I'm unable to emulate its real NFL success.There are a few things I do to shore up my run defence and they generally work OK, but I hugely sacrifice a lot of defensive flexibility (and spend far too much focus on my rushing schemes) to ensure relatively passable run D. I miss the 4-3 :)

My biggest gripe though is the online play. You get used to some things working not quite right online, but I absolutely hate the implementation of the hit stick online. I don't know if it's like this for everyone else, but it's unbearably slow to respond. I've missed a handful of tackles in my last few online games trying to lay hit stick shots on players. Not 'cause they were ill-advised, but because they wound up being in the wrong direction by the time they registered...

The other thing that is weird to me online is scrambling. I actually consulted the manual last night because I figured I was missing a button. It's not a huge deal -- I'm not going to be perpetually off to the races with Drew Brees, but it would be nice to have that sort of option available.

Fair play settings, I think, are really good overall. I'm a big fan, but it's a little frustrating that it eliminates some real NFL gambles. Noticed this more in preseason: 4th and inches at midfield; 4th and short just inside the 40, which is supreme four-down territory and other such situations. I'd rather have that leash than idiots gambling every time, but it sort of sucks when you're in a situation where a real NFL coach would really consider a gamble and the option isn't even there.

if people want fair play turned off im willing to do that.

the playoff format is 3 playoff teams per conference. the best team gets a bye, and the #2 and #3 seeds play each other. the winner of that game plays @ the #1 seed in the conference finals. the two conference final winners play for the superbowl.

Rorschach

In case you guys didn't know, you can switch your defensive playbook before you start the game. A back like Jordan will tear through the 3-4 like a knife through butter, but it's actually pretty good against pure speed like Fargas.

It took some getting used to, but I'm a pro with the hit stick now. Takes some practice.

I would prefer fair play on.

[edit]Week 2 I get the broncos -_-

Name I time, Ando

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Sick: The Broncos, Seahawks, and Panthers all lost the first games of the season, and now look at them.

The 3-4 can be used competently against the run. In fact, play me tomorrow and barring a big run, I guarantee you wo't break 100 yards.

The hit stick IS broken, I can't do that crap online with much effectiveness. I wonder how DM and FMT get to do it with such frequency.

CB3

Yeah, if you can work it right the 3-4 can stop the run. I used the 3-4 the whole time in our xbx league and i never had a big problem, besides a big broken run. It got to the point where i hated the 4-3

Top Bottom