• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Islamic Thread

Other than this, Does anybody remember their first fasting? Mine was when I was around 9. Boy, it was longest day. Whole day I was in kitchen seeing what is going to be cooked for me in after noon. Every single relative of us was called to house to do iftar.

I remember going every where and asking for gift like it was my birthday. I thought I deserved some prize for staying hungry :lol :lol . When Iftar time came I was like woah so much food to eat for me. Also the next day when I went to school I talked to everyone, I fasted :D

Zapages

Himuro said:
I'm considering skipping this Ramadan. I don't think I'm ready for it. Like, when I'm at school, I can't make me a dinner or anything sometimes and I always rely on the cafeteria for my food needs, which opens at 8am.

I guess I could buy some eggs and make me breakfast, but I'm still worried about dinner. I always eat dinner at the school cafeteria which is closed by nightfall.

Take it slow man. Just make sure to make up those days when you are ready.

Himuro said:
I'm considering skipping this Ramadan. I don't think I'm ready for it. Like, when I'm at school, I can't make me a dinner or anything sometimes and I always rely on the cafeteria for my food needs, which opens at 8am.

I guess I could buy some eggs and make me breakfast, but I'm still worried about dinner. I always eat dinner at the school cafeteria which is closed by nightfall.

Try one day. You will feel fine. Its always hard when you think about it. But it gets very easy. After first five days it feels like routine.

In the morning just remember to drink lots of water after you are done eating. IT is not hard as it looks.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Himuro said:

Although I would recommend you fast everyday, I understand how it can be difficult for someone new, ramadhan and fasting does totally throw you out of the loop in terms of your daily habits, god knows I hate waking up early to eat and then trying to go back to sleep for a measely 30 mins of sleep before I have to wake up for school. So to make it easier, you should try fasting every 2nd day or on the weekends and stuff like that, basically try not fasting continuous days to make it easier for yourself. But like Zapages said, make sure to make up the days you missed later on.

Azih

Nizar said:
My point is that Islam is a violent religion because it preaches on violence, thats it.
And I already pointed out a few pages back that by this standard any philosophy that allows or advocates self-defense is a 'violent' philosophy. This is a moronic stance to take.

Or I could probably go to the cafeteria and get dinner when it's served, and take it home, put it in the fridge.
Yeah that sounds like a good plan, but you should have extra food to make for youself after dinner and for the morning. Sandwhiches, pasta, milk and the like is filling.

Zapages

Himuro said:
Or I could probably go to the cafeteria and get dinner when it's served, and take it home, put it in the fridge.

A few of my Muslims friends did that in University... They were able to do so with no problem at all...

Here's what I they got with them for breakfast:

1: 24 oz bottle of Water
2: a couple fruits
3: A bag of chips
4: Cold pizza slices

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Himuro said:
I'm not worried about the fasting at all, I find going through the day without a meal pretty easy. My problem is dinner, as my main source of food - my college cafeteria - will be closed by the time it's time to break fast. I hope I have enough cash at the outset to buy me breakfast and dinner that'll last me a month, because I don't start working until maybe next week.

Oh, I get it. Hmmm, are there other Muslims living in residence that you know? If so, then you can ask them how they get their food for iftar.

The caf at my university doesn't allow people to take food out of the caf, and if it's like that at your caf too then maybe you can explain your situation and ask them if you can take some food for iftar during ramadhan. Also, a lot of Muslim organizations at my university have an iftar every night during ramadhan (except for the weekends I think), are there any Muslim organizations at your university? If there are, you should check out their website or their offices or whatever and see if they do the same.

Zapages

Himuro said:
I only ate one meal a day for many years. So if I simply drink water and eat, let's say, an apple in the morning, and eat dinner/drink fluids at night I should be fine.

I did that a few times... You should be fine, just make sure to drink a lot of water (32 to 48 oz) as its hotter now then it was before.

Also what about about other school's in your area... I know a few of my friends went over to Rutgers or larger public schools for iftar.

Zapages

Himuro said:
My area barely has any Muslims as it is.

What about local mosques??? I know they do iftaris and breakfast for some regular people here, if you talk to the imam of the mosque. I think they will more than happy to accommodate you... :)

Himuro said:
I only ate one meal a day for many years. So if I simply drink water and eat, let's say, an apple in the morning, and eat dinner/drink fluids at night I should be fine.
I would suggest eating more than one apple. At least one pizza slice or omelet.

Darackutny

crazy monkey said:
Other than this, Does anybody remember their first fasting? Mine was when I was around 9. Boy, it was longest day. Whole day I was in kitchen seeing what is going to be cooked for me in after noon. Every single relative of us was called to house to do iftar.

I remember going every where and asking for gift like it was my birthday. I thought I deserved some prize for staying hungry :lol :lol . When Iftar time came I was like woah so much food to eat for me. Also the next day when I went to school I talked to everyone, I fasted :D

Hahah! I remember smelling some the chicken and mushroom pie they made for me the first day I fasted. It smelled so good that I threw up immediately. =)

Note to all horney Muslim-GAFers:

Remember guys, sex and masturbation will invalidate your fast. ;)

Darackutny said:
Hahah! I remember smelling some the chicken and mushroom pie they made for me the first day I fasted. It smelled so good that I threw up immediately. =)

Note to all horney Muslim-GAFers:

Remember guys, sex and masturbation will invalidate your fast. ;)

No body told me about this when I was kid. :( Fortunately I found this out before any thing wrong happen.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Lots of people are fasting today but yesterday when I was about to read tarawih the mosque said the moon couldn't be seen anywhere so no go.

I'm using today as a last day to eat a shitload btw, don't think it's healthy to eat that much in a week let alone a day :lol

Azih

Himuro said:
What is it about?
Aslan is all kinds of awesome, "No God but God" is an amazing book. I believe "How to Win a cosmic war" is pretty much about how religious wars and things like "Wars on Terror" are never ending concepts. How do you win a cosmic war? You don't engage in one. I'm starting the fasts tomorrow.

crazy monkey said:
India is starting from Sunday. North America we will see after Maghreb.

This really bugs me every single year. Why are different countries starting on different days? There is no evidence in the quran or sunnah to back this up so people shouldnt do it.

The sighting of the moon was not confirmed yesterday so I have no idea why people would be fasting today (friday). As it was not sighted then we must not fast till the completion of 30 days of Sha'ban.

Saturday should be the first day for everybody inshaAllah.

kobashi100 said:
This really bugs me every single year. Why are different countries starting on different days? There is no evidence in the quran or sunnah to back this up so people shouldnt do it.

The sighting of the moon was not confirmed yesterday so I have no idea why people would be fasting today (friday). As it was not sighted then we must not fast till the completion of 30 days of Sha'ban.

Saturday should be the first day for everybody inshaAllah.

its the sighting of the moon. Tomorrow should be first day here in north America providing we see it.

AAK said:

Occupation of iraq and afganistan, total support for brutal dictators all over the muslim world. Do not be fooled by this guy!

crazy monkey said:
its the sighting of the moon. Tomorrow should be first day here in north America providing we see it.

Yes but the sighting should not be restricted to a person's own country of residence or to sight it on individual basis. If the moon was sighted last night in Malaysia for example that means we would all have to start fasting today (friday).

As it was not sighted anywhere last night then we fast after Sha'ban has been completed. Starting first day of Ramadhan on sunday just makes no sense to me.

Also the people who fasted today (friday) was on the basis of astronomical calculations and not the actual sighting of moon.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
kobashi100 said:
Yes but the sighting should not be restricted to a person's own country of residence or to sight it on individual basis. If the moon was sighted last night in Malaysia for example that means we would all have to start fasting today (friday).

As it was not sighted anywhere last night then we fast after Sha'ban has been completed. Starting first day of Ramadhan on sunday just makes no sense to me.

Also the people who fasted today (friday) was on the basis of astronomical calculations and not the actual sighting of moon.
Depends on your viewings, some say you have to see the moon from your own place.

So I was just reading Reliance of the Traveller and I came across something disconcerning about the recent Afghani law. According to Book M of Sharia Jurisprudence, a husband is obligated to supply their wife with food and clothing as long as they are married, no way out of it. Why did Afghanistan stil institute such a law?

Chrono

Banned
kobashi100 said:
Occupation of iraq and afganistan,

If muslims are so resentful of these 'occupations' then why not get working on building decent countries in those places and not blow up children at supermarkets so the US can gladly leave?

total support for brutal dictators all over the muslim world. Do not be fooled by this guy!

I knew I shouldn't have clicked on this thread, fuck. I don't think there's a single anti-american claim that I hate more than this, what fucking bullshit.

Do those dictatorships by the way include independent and anti-american ones like syria, and iran? No American embassy in any of those places, but hey blame the infidel for your miserable state.

Even if there were embassies there, I know enough about many of those countries to know the US can't do anything if those regimes or peoples want (and act for) something different. Too many internet-induced headaches to bother here again though.

Edit: you know, even if the US 'support' for those dictatorships were true and what's holding them in power, what's stopping muslims from fighting for their freedom? I mean other then mass murder of innocents, like say the iran protests? What funny here is that muslims like kobashi want anything but a democracy to replace those dictatorships. In that case count me in support of those regimes.

Edit 2: you can add to stop bombing supermarkets also stopping sending airplanes into buildings and mass murdering thousands of innocnents, perhaps then 'occupations' like afghanistan wouldn't have happened and your muslim brothers and sisters would live the life they deserve under sharia and its pious enforcers you're so heartbroken over, the taliban.

deadbeef said:
I have to ask, what are you doing in Barrow, Alaska?

lol I'm not in Barrow. I did watch a movie called 40 days of night that took place in Barrow Alaska, but over the summer they have 40 days of...day. Until a couple weeks ago, the sun didn't set in Barrow. Good thing Ramadan doesn't take place in the summer or people in the north arctic circle wouldn't get to eat or drink for 40 days.

perfectchaos007 said:
lol I'm not in Barrow. I did watch a movie called 40 days of night that took place in Barrow Alaska, but over the summer they have 40 days of...day. Until a couple weeks ago, the sun didn't set in Barrow. Good thing Ramadan doesn't take place in the summer or people in the north arctic circle wouldn't get to eat or drink for 40 days.
If not next summer then the summer after it will be during summer in Alaska, keep in mind that the moon year is a bit shorter than the sun year.

I guess God forgot about Alaska when he set the rules of fasting :D

Ramadan Mubarak to all of you, its always so refreshing to go through Ramadan each year

Got back from Tarawi, now I'm not sleep and Sahoor is in 2 hours... great :lol

Gomu Gomu

Ramadan Kareem Y'all :D. This year is going to be a bit more difficult for me than last year. I'm having a summer course in one of the hottest, most humid places ever on earth. Feels good man.

@Nizar: I was banned for a couple of weeks, I'm not sure you still need the answers to your questions about Jihad? Since I know and you know that answering them would be almost pointless since you'll never change your mind about Islam and it being a peaceful religion. Tbh, I believe you grew up hating this religion for some reason. For me, it would be impossible to change how you feel about it . I tried though :(. Good luck I guess.

Top Bottom