• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Islamic Thread

TheAzRim said:
I can finally come back to this thread and read some good articles. Really happy that islamophobe is banned, can't even argue with his intentions just looking at the amount of posts here and threads made.
Pretty much. People who have no intention in discussion coming here and disparaging beliefs of Muslims and then feigning ignorance as to what is causing all the ruckus. If you want to discuss, you dont start throwing accusations and insults left and right. It will turn into a mudslinging contest then.

http://www.khilafah.com/index.php/the-khilafah/khilafah/9054-healthcare-in-the-khilafah

Healthcare in the Khilafah

Barack Obama signed the controversial US healthcare bill into law today after months of heated debate.

US Healthcare has been under the spotlight in recent years and gained international focus after Michael Moore released his documentary, "Sicko" three years ago. In it, he focused on the failure of the American healthcare system. Particular attention was given to the Insurance Companies and how their purpose was not to help people in need but rather to increase profits. The solution proposed was to have a public healthcare system similar to those in Canada, Britain, France and Cuba.

With an economy in disarray and the rising costs of the Iraq and Afghan wars, you may wonder what is wrong with the US's priorities? The debate over health care in the US centers on whether there is a fundamental right to healthcare, or who should have access to healthcare and on the quality achieved for the high sums spent.

Medical debt is cited as the single biggest factor in 62% of all personal bankruptcy in the United States.

50 million Americans do not have health insurance.

Approximately 18,000 of the 50 million die every year because they do not have health insurance.

The US does not view health as a basic right, but as a privilege. Barack Obama is challenging this view through his reform bill to provide universal health care through health insurance for all. This has been met by wrath from the right wing,

The US does provide a government funded programme the biggest being Medicaid and Medicare. But generally it is up to individuals to obtain health insurance. Most get coverage through their employers, but others sign up for private insurance schemes. Under the terms of most plans, US citizens pay regular premiums, but are required to pay part of the cost of their treatment before the insurer covers the expense. This is the situation of the 250 million people who have health care. It has become a common occurrence for those with health insurance, having to incur much debt after the deductibles for health insurance are removed, causing a significant number to even sell their homes.

So how will a future Khilafah address the issue of healthcare?

Taking care of people's affairs

Islam is a unique system revealed by Allah سبحانه وتعالى that provides the needs for both the individual and society. Allah سبحانه وتعالى being Al-Khaliq - The Creator of all that exists - will evidently know what is best for us. With His infinite knowledge, His system will be able to provide solutions to any problem that human beings have or will encounter. With regards to governance, the Khalifah is entrusted in applying the laws of Allah سبحانه وتعالى. The Khalifah is directly responsible before Allah سبحانه وتعالى for any issue that affects citizens in the Islamic State.

The Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم said, "He who has been ruler over ten people will be brought shackled on the Day of Resurrection till justice loosens his chains or tyranny brings him to destruction." [Tirmidhi]

The ruler does not only have to respond to the people under his care but must also answer to a higher authority, Malik-al-Mulk (The Owner of All Sovereignty). As such, he must fulfil the obligations placed upon him as this is not only a mandate of the state but is the Ahkam of Allah سبحانه وتعالى. Therefore the Khalifah must care for every citizen's need and ensure that they are not facing any undue hardships such as lack of access to healthcare or even long wait times.

The Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم said: "Whoever is put in charge of any of the affairs of the Muslims and remains aloof from them and pays no attention to their needs and poverty, Allah will remain aloof from him on the Day of Resurrection, and will pay no attention to his needs and poverty." [Abu Dawood, Ibn Maajah, Al-Haakim]

The above hadith clearly shows the weight that lies on the shoulders of those in authority. When Umar ibn Abdul Aziz became the Khalifah, he was seen to be rather gloomy. His servant asked him why he was so sad and worried. Umar replied, "Anyone in my shoes should be so; I must deliver and grant all the nation's citizens all their rights, whether they demand them or not."

The care of those under the authority of the state is not judged based on the annual budget or political aspirations but rather it is based on the rights afforded to them by Allah سبحانه وتعالى. This obliges the Khalifah to provide them with the utmost care to the best of his ability regardless of whether the citizens are aware of this right or not and whether they have asked for it or not.

Healthcare in the Khilafah

The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said: "Each of you is a guardian and is responsible for those whom he is in charge of. So the ruler is a guardian and is responsible for his subjects." [Bukhari & Muslim]

The Imam is responsible for managing the affairs of the people. One of the basic needs that the Khilafah must provide for is healthcare. When the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم as head of state in Medina was given a doctor as a gift, he assigned him to the Muslims. The fact that the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم received a gift and he did not use it, nor take it, rather he assigned it to the Muslims is evidence that healthcare is one of the interests of Muslims.

Since the state is obliged to spend on providing a free healthcare system for all, then part of the Bait ul-Mal's budget must be for healthcare. If insufficient funds are available then a wealth tax will be imposed upon the Muslims to meet the budget deficit.

Unlike the Capitalist system, the Islamic system views the provision of healthcare to its citizens from a human perspective and not an economic aspect. This means that the leader of the Islamic State looks to provide adequate and good quality healthcare to the people, not for the sake of having a healthy workforce that can contribute to the economy but for the sake of fulfilling his duty of looking after the needs of the people in obedience to Allah سبحانه وتعالى.

Medical excellence in Islamic history

When Islam is implemented as a complete system, it provides a means to excel in all fields such as science and technology. In the past, individuals under the Khilafah made a tremendous contribution to the medical field.

The Khilafah was blessed with many first class hospitals and doctors in several of its cities: Baghdad, Damascus, Cairo, Jerusalem, Alexandria, Cordova, Samarqand and many more. Baghdad alone had sixty hospitals with in-patient and out-patient departments and over 1,000 physicians.

Public hospitals like the Bimaristan al-Mansuri Hospital, established in Cairo in 1283, had accommodation for 8,000 patients. There were two attendants for each patient who did everything for his/her comfort and convenience and every patient had his/her own bed, bedding and vessel for eating. It treated in-patients and out-patients giving them free food and medicine.

There were mobile dispensaries and clinics for the proper medical care of the disabled and those living in the villages. The Khalifah, Al-Muqtadir Billah, ordered that every mobile unit should visit each village and remain there for some days before moving to the next.

From the above historical accounts, we see that when the Khulafaa' properly implemented the rules of Allah سبحانه وتعالى, then and only then did a society truly thrive and succeed. However, it is important to keep in mind that material advancement does not equate with true success - seeking the pleasure of Allah سبحانه وتعالى. For the Khulafaa' it was not about simply providing medical services, rather it was to fulfil the needs of the citizens entrusted to them for which they will be held accountable for.

Darackutny

I'm currently working on a research paper on Abu Huraira. Does Muslim-GAF, or pretty much anyone here that knows anything about the man have any opinions (good or bad) regarding him and his contributions to hadith?

Ashes

Banned
Yeah, got the news. When people say it depends on the sighting of the moon, they should really say depending on whether we get clear weather. The moon always follows the lunar cycle yes?

I'm sorry, I'm sure this has been asked and answered multiple times throughout the thread, but:

What is the best english translation of the Quran? I'm looking in the iBook store and there are several. A Google search or two just got me some conflicting opinions.

I've read the Bible, objectively, and found it to be enjoyable and interesting. I'm hoping to do the same with Quran.

Duane Cunningham said:
I'm sorry, I'm sure this has been asked and answered multiple times throughout the thread, but:

What is the best english translation of the Quran? I'm looking in the iBook store and there are several. A Google search or two just got me some conflicting opinions.

I've read the Bible, objectively, and found it to be enjoyable and interesting. I'm hoping to do the same with Quran.
Try this website:
http://www.tafheem.net/tafheem.html

Its important to understand the historical context behind the revelations. This is another website:
http://www.quranwebsite.com/text55/tafhim_english___surhah_by_surah.html

It has the same translations but more historical background, like the period of revelation.

Zapages

OuterWorldVoice said:
You're Supposed to take care of your kids.

I still don't get you though as Albania was an independent country prior to WWII... Jews were fleeing from Nazi Germany. They were helping them in their time of need.

OuterWorldVoice said:
You're Supposed to take care of your kids.

Way to try and diminish the goodwill of the article. Seriously, muslims saving Jews in any circumstance, while definitely something that should be considered normal, is no where near akin to to taking care of your kids. In the current climate of muslim-jew relations, and the general perception of Islam, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see why stories like this might in some way be helpful in changing false perceptions.

Zapages

Maleficence said:
Way to try and diminish the goodwill of the article. Seriously, muslims saving Jews in any circumstance, while definitely something that should be considered normal, is no where near akin to to taking care of your kids. In the current climate of muslim-jew relations, and the general perception of Islam, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see why stories like this might in some way be helpful in changing false perceptions.

Exactly my sentiments. :)

Zapages said:
Anyway if I was able to make a thread. I would have made a new topic. :)
You do know that such threads always turn into "but look at all the evil Muslims did, Jerusalem Mufti sided with Nazis, Muslim SS regiments" etc....don't you?

Zapages

RustyNails said:
You do know that such threads always turn into "but look at all the evil Muslims did, Jerusalem Mufti sided with Nazis, Muslim SS regiments" etc....don't you?

Yes, I do know about the Jerusalem Mufti going to Germany and even meeting up with Adolf Hitler. Also the whole Holocaust being huge part of it. :| :(

Source: http://bigjournalism.com/pgeller/2010/02/07/the-mufti-of-jerusalem-architect-of-the-holocaust/

But still showcasing any positive light of Muslims is a good thing. IMHO. Also not all Muslims have the same view as him.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
RustyNails said:
Right. And your point being?
My point being we are supposed to love
our neighbors. When we start being proud of expected morality we need to examine the baseline of our behavior as a society.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that the actions were good and well intentioned but all three abrahamic religions basically demand that we defend the weak from oppression.

Muslims shouldn't have to recall rare instances of tolerance when the fact is that most Muslims are tolerant and good most of the time. The Red Crescent doesn't just help Muslims.

Not that media or current narrative help, I suppose.

OuterWorldVoice said:
My point being we are supposed to love
our neighbors. When we start being proud of expected morality we need to examine the baseline of our behavior as a society.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that the actions were good and well intentioned but all three abrahamic religions basically demand that we defend the weak from oppression.
You do realize the severity of consequences in trying to do the "good actions" in this case, right? This wasn't just a case of taking in refugees. But an act of disobeying a ruthless government with a genocidal maniac on top. It took certain amount of good will, bravery and valor to hide Jews during WW2 in your homes, and its not something to be looked lightly as "expected morality".

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Zapages said:
Yes, I do know about the Jerusalem Mufti going to Germany and even meeting up with Adolf Hitler. Also the whole Holocaust being huge part of it. :| :(

Source: http://bigjournalism.com/pgeller/2010/02/07/the-mufti-of-jerusalem-architect-of-the-holocaust/

But still showcasing any positive light of Muslims is a good thing. IMHO. Also not all Muslims have the same view as him.

That whole story reeks of bullshit. I have no doubt the Mufti hated the Jewry, but the idea that he coordinated the Holocaust is fucking laughable. You don't need Occam's Razor to see that Hitler managed just fine on his own.

Kad5

Hey guys, Iranian-American here. I'm not super religious but i've been giving some thought about my religious beliefs.

Recently i've been doing some insight onto what I think of religion as a whole.

To make a long conclusion short i've realized that religion is simply a way of life rather than life itself.

Which is why I will rely on myself on how to interpret Islam rather than relying on scholars. Because I personally believe that Islam in its purest form is in context to when it was first originally created as a religion.

Living by basic beliefs such as abstaining from alcohol and being abstinent from sex simply makes life easier for people.

But I believe if someone is smart enough they can for example do these things in moderation as long as they have the right intelligence for it and know how to lessen the risks. For example only drinking alcohol in moderation rather than to get drunk or to use a condom when having sexual relations.

This is why I will still identify myself as a shi'ite muslim but will practice the religion according to my own beliefs.

Hopefully I got my point across. Just wanted to share. Hopefully Muslim-GAF isn't angry at me for this.

Kad5 said:
Hey guys, Iranian-American here. I'm not super religious but i've been giving some thought about my religious beliefs.

To make a long conclusion short i've realized that religion is simply a way of life rather than life itself.

Which is why I will rely on myself on how to interpret Islam rather than relying on scholars. Because I personally believe that Islam in its purest form is in context to when it was first originally created as a religion.

Living by basic beliefs such as abstaining from alcohol and being abstinent from sex simply makes life easier for people.

But I believe if someone is smart enough they can for example do these things in moderation as long as they have the right intelligence for it and know how to lessen the risks. For example only drinking alcohol in moderation rather than to get drunk or to use a condom when having sexual relations.

This is why I will still identify myself as a shi'ite muslim but will practice the religion according to my own beliefs.

Hopefully I got my point across. Just wanted to share. Hopefully Muslim-GAF isn't angry at me for this.

There are not many scholars who you can trust to give you satisfactory answers, a lot of them in my personal experience have a rigid interpretation of Islam.

Kad5 said:

Shites/Sunni/Sufi/ whatever, all of em labels if you ask me. Long as you believe in the final message, there's room for self-improvement and reflection. Welcome to the peace train.

Zapages

Kad5 said:
Thanks bro. What truly matters in Islam is being a good person who loves God. :)

According to Islam the relationship is just between God and you. Don't let anyone say otherwise to you. I don't know that much about Shia Islam, but that is how I was taught as a Sunni Muslim. :)

good stuff kad5, i can relate to a lot of what you feel like and i think my approach to Islam is similar to yours: love God and be the best person you can be for yourself and others.

my problems are usually with imams who from what ive experienced always want you to practice Islam the way THEY want you to, as opposed to just conveying the message of the Qu'ran. i cant speak for all but as a bengali going to only bangladeshi Mosques here, ive noticed they just cant seem to separate our cultural politics with Islam itself. it feels like everyone has their own agenda to push.

this is why its nice to hear from Muslims all over since were not all thinking the same things. all the various ideas and train of thoughts help you form your own conclusions and identity.

Zapages

effingvic said:
good stuff kad5, i can relate to a lot of what you feel like and i think my approach to Islam is similar to yours: love God and be the best person you can be for yourself and others.

my problems are usually with imams who from what ive experienced always want you to practice Islam the way THEY want you to, as opposed to just conveying the message of the Qu'ran. i cant speak for all but as a bengali going to only bangladeshi Mosques here, ive noticed they just cant seem to separate our cultural politics with Islam itself. it feels like everyone has their own agenda to push.

this is why its nice to hear from Muslims all over since were not all thinking the same things. all the various ideas and train of thoughts help you form your own conclusions and identity.

Same with South Asian/Arab/Turkish Mosque that I attend.

Luckily our Imam is really good by just keeping the on main purpose of Islam.

That is why we need school and universities that teach Islam is to who would like to become scholars in Islam in a more broader context of things and that is not too Deobandi/Wahabi reliant as it is right now. :(

Zapages said:
That is why we need school and universities that teach Islam is to who would like to become scholars in Islam in a more broader context of things and that is not too Deobandi/Wahabi reliant as it is right now. :(

yep, i wholeheartedly agree.

Lagspike_exe said:
Meanwhile, their brethren on Kosovo formed Nazi SS units and began a long-term extermination of Christian population.

http://www.kosovo.net/skenderbeyss.html

pardon my ignorance, but what would they have to gain by siding with nazis? i figured nazis wanted to kill everyone including muslims. it just seems to me that these nazi muslims (never thought id put those words together :lol) just found the perfect outlet to express their hatred for christians.

Zapages said:
According to Islam the relationship is just between God and you. Don't let anyone say otherwise to you. I don't know that much about Shia Islam, but that is how I was taught as a Sunni Muslim. :)

Its the same in shia islam. Why would it be any different lol

effingvic said:
pardon my ignorance, but what would they have to gain by siding with nazis? i figured nazis wanted to kill everyone including muslims. it just seems to me that these nazi muslims (never thought id put those words together :lol) just found the perfect outlet to express their hatred for christians.

Albanians long aspired to form a "Greater Albanian", a nation compromising of territories with a high percentage of Albanian population. In 1878, they formed the League of Prizren which was the first organization to set these goals as their official project.

In 1912, when joint Serbian - Greek troops liberated Albania and Kosovo from the Turks, Albanian population was split in several countries. In Kosovo, the pressure on the native Christian population (Serbs) was unbearable since it fell to the Turkish occupation back in 1389. Christians were systematically forced to turn into Islam, killed and forced to move out. Many of them moved out to Austrian Empire to escape the prosecution.

Now, in WW2 Italy forced Albania to become it's puppet state, but rewarded it with territories later conquered by Germany. Kosovo was added to Albania and with Albania already an ally to the Nazism in Europe, it was natural that Kosovo Albanians sign up an agreement with the occupying forces. Thus, they began a systematic extermination of the Orthodox Christian population that was only rivaled by the extermination that the Croatian Nazi squads performed in parts of Croatia and Bosnia (again, against Serbian Orthodox Population).

The Kosovo Albanians achieved their goal - population of Serbs was heavily reduced and it kept reducing during communism because of the regime's unfavorable position to the Serbian Kosovo problem. With the subsequent decision to open the border to Albania, the percentage of Serbs was reduced even further after the war, which in the end resulted in the '99 Kosovo War, which Serbia lost.

Zapages

Meus Renaissance said:
Tell me of your views on the sentencing of apostate's ruling, preferably be as detailed as you can

Don''t its a trap unless you get it approved by admin/mod.

Buba Big Guns said:
Its the same in shia islam. Why would it be any different lol

As I said, I am not an expert in Shia Islam as there a lot more schools of thought in Shia Islam when compared to Sunni Islam.

Zapages

Meus Renaissance said:
Makes no sense. People freely quote and refer to more contentious scriptural verses than this.

yeah, but this is GAF... Just check this thread and see how many Muslims have been banned or juniored throughout the years. :| hmm Yeah. :|

Top Bottom