• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Islamic Thread

Chittagong

Gold Member
AAK said:
There's nothing wrong with holding hands. It's making out in public which is a no-no.

Thanks. How about

- a non-islamic woman pictured in the dress above
- woman singing about being passionately in love, crazy in love

My guess is that both of them should be fine, but just want to check. Sorry if these sound like stupid/condensending things to ask - being from Scandinavia where the Islamic minority is on the growth, I've learned to double check before assuming things.

AAK

It isn't offensive at all to have a non-muslim wear a hijab.

For the IAW (Islamic Awareness Week) here in OttawaU/Carleton there was a booth where they were giving out hijabs for people to try out and wear them for the day, just to see what it feels like. So there isn't anything wrong with it at all. It's just meant to be a modest attire.

EDIT: As for her singing while wearing it, I... really don't know. Could you be a little more specific about the message you're trying to envoke and how does the hijab correlate to it?

Chittagong

Gold Member
AAK said:
It isn't offensive at all to have a non-muslim wear a hijab.

For the IAW (Islamic Awareness Week) here in OttawaU/Carleton there was a booth where they were giving out hijabs for people to try out and wear them for the day, just to see what it feels like. So there isn't anything wrong with it at all. It's just meant to be a modest attire.

Thanks, appreciated. Sounds like I'm good to proceed then. What would I do without gaf!

I am not a Muslim but I will try to answer your question anyway.

There is no real answer to this, it all comes down to what understanding of Islam you have. People will only answer you according to their own understanding. If you want a satisfying answer then that music is ok since it is not sexual, if you want a more strict one then you are helping spread things to distract Muslims from duties.
Do what you feel is right. I would have done it anyway back when I was a Muslim.

A similar story, back when I used to own a forum, I wanted to buy a script/flash player to use for music clips for the community. Anyway, the guy who I was going to buy the script from insisted that I promise him not to play music on it since it was Haram, only anasheeds were allowed to be played according to him, and if I did play music I will no longer be allowed to use it, which was just stupid.
Its kind of like selling plates and not allowing people to eat what they want on them.

You are just doing a cover, it doesn't matter if she is a nonmuslim as long as she is dressed properly, its not like people are going to masturbate to it these days.

Btw, the guy and the girl could be getting married or are just family.

Chittagong said:
Thanks. How about

- a non-islamic woman pictured in the dress above
- woman singing about being passionately in love, crazy in love

My guess is that both of them should be fine, but just want to check. Sorry if these sound like stupid/condensending things to ask - being from Scandinavia where the Islamic minority is on the growth, I've learned to double check before assuming things.
Its fine and hardly offensive. Check this song out: Aicha

Edit: Fixed

RustyNails said:
Its fine and hardly offensive. Check this song out: Aicha
This video contains content from Vevo, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

The guy is Scandinavian too so he won't be able to watch it too.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Anaxagoras said:
I am not a Muslim but I will try to answer your question anyway.

There is no real answer to this, it all comes down to what understanding of Islam you have. People will only answer you according to their own understanding. If you want a satisfying answer then that music is ok since it is not sexual, if you want a more strict one then you are helping spread things to distract Muslims from duties.
Do what you feel is right. I would have done it anyway back when I was a Muslim.

A similar story, back when I used to own a forum, I wanted to buy a script/flash player to use for music clips for the community. Anyway, the guy who I was going to buy the script from insisted that I promise him not to play music on it since it was Haram, only anasheeds were allowed to be played according to him, and if I did play music I will no longer be allowed to use it, which was just stupid.
Its kind of like selling plates and not allowing people to eat what they want on them.

You are just doing a cover, it doesn't matter if she is a nonmuslim as long as she is dressed properly, its not like people are going to masturbate to it these days.

Btw, the guy and the girl could be getting married or are just family.

Interesting stuff. It's going to be a very mainstream pop song, so I'm not targeting the cover for the most religious muslims, just like the track is not likely to be a home run with laestadians :lol

Anaxagoras said:
This video contains content from Vevo, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

The guy is Scandinavian too so he won't be able to watch it too.
Frickin Vevo. Anyways, found a non Vevo link which is slightly lesser quality. Fixed.

Chittagong

Gold Member
RustyNails said:
Frickin Vevo. Anyways, found a non Vevo link which is slightly lesser quality. Fixed.

Cool stuff. Looks like I was overly sensitive - I think the Jyllands-Posten cartoon row has been bit of a wake up call to all Scandinavians, as in that we might not always be fully in tune with other cultures (although I must say it's not exactly rocket science that people whose faith says you may not picture someone might be offended when you picture said person 12 times).

Chittagong said:
Cool stuff. Looks like I was overly sensitive - I think the Jyllands-Posten cartoon row has been bit of a wake up call to all Scandinavians, as in that we might not always be fully in tune with other cultures (although I must say it's not exactly rocket science that people whose faith says you may not picture someone might be offended when you picture said person 12 times).
Not simply "picture" said person 12 times. More like picture him as an evil, sexist terrorist with bombs on his head or his face on a donkey's body 12 times.

Chittagong

Gold Member
RustyNails said:
Not simply "picture" said person 12 times. More like picture him as an evil, sexist terrorist with bombs on his head or his face on a donkey's body 12 times.

Yeah, that too. Uh, whoever thought that would be a great idea. I actually never saw the pictures, just the aftermath.

Chittagong said:
it's not exactly rocket science that people whose faith says you may not picture someone might be offended when you picture said person 12 times.

In Islam it is forbidden to drink beer just as it is forbidden to draw Mohammad, does this mean that I should not drink beer because I will offend you?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Anaxagoras said:
In Islam it is forbidden to drink beer just as it is forbidden to draw Mohammad, does this mean that I should not drink beer because I will offend you?

Ok I'll take the bait. Drinking beer is an universal, cross cultural passtime. Mohammed is an Islamic prophet. So I can see why offending with the latter would hit closer to home than with the former. It's hard to come up with a working analogy that would work in Christianity, since the religion is less based on strict rules.

Chittagong said:
Ok I'll take the bait. Drinking beer is an universal, cross cultural passtime. Mohammed is an Islamic prophet. So I can see why offending with the latter would hit closer to home than with the former. It's hard to come up with a working analogy that would work in Christianity, since the religion is less based on strict rules.

Just because you as a Muslim shouldn't criticize Islam and Mohammad doesn't mean that others are not allowed to. The guys considers him a violent person, he is free to express himself.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Anaxagoras said:
Just because you as a Muslim shouldn't criticize Islam and Mohammad doesn't mean that others are not allowed to. The guys considers him a violent person, he is free to express himself.

I can see where you are coming from. It's basically freedom of expression vs. consideration for the belief of others. I don't know, I just saw the whole episode as unnecessary. If the message of the article was that "Islam is violent", it could have been conveyed in many other, less disruptive ways. Unless, of course, the intention was to use this way to prove the point - with 100 people dead when everything was said and done.

Chittagong said:
I can see where you are coming from. It's basically freedom of expression vs. consideration for the belief of others. I don't know, I just saw the whole episode as unnecessary. If the message of the article was that "Islam is violent", it could have been conveyed in many other, less disruptive ways. Unless, of course, the intention was to use this way to prove the point - with 100 people dead when everything was said and done.

The cartoon didn't kill anyone, the barbaric reactions from the muslim demonstrators did.

It doesn't matter what the intention is, they have the right to express whatever they want in what ever fashion they want freely.
The whole point of the contest was to see how much free speech is respected and tolerated in a secular society.

Chittagong said:

I agree with you but there are always nizar in the world. Regarding your post, treat album, video ,cover like people who are actually in love than it is fine.

Anaxagoras said:
The cartoon didn't kill anyone, the barbaric reactions from the muslim demonstrators did.

If there were no cartoon would that happen? The problem was there have been painting of prophet Mohammad before. The main aim was to get muslim angry in that cartoon and nothing else. Beside I think one cartoon every other one was just a way to get other person angry. What did the person trying to dray dog achieve by doing so? you know in islam how important prophets are.

crazy monkey said:
I agree with you but there are always nizar in the world. Regarding your post, treat album, video ,cover like people who are actually in love than it is fine.

If there were no cartoon would that happen? The problem was there have been painting of prophet Mohammad before. The main aim was to get muslim angry in that cartoon and nothing else. Beside I think one cartoon every other one was just a way to get other person angry. What did the person trying to dray dog achieve by doing so? you know in islam how important prophets are.

yeah but Mohammad isn't important to me so why can't I draw him? And the prophet isn't always drawn JUST to piss off Muslims. He can't even be pictured in our textbooks for history purposes. Infact, the only mental image I have of Mohammad at this time is a bearded guy with a bomb on his head. The picture of Jesus can be used at will. And yes I have seen deprecating images of Jesus, but most of them aren't so I still have the classic robe+beard guy image in my head. And of course the one where he's on the cross with nails in his hands.

perfectchaos007 said:
yeah but Mohammad isn't important to me so why can't I draw him? And the prophet isn't always drawn JUST to piss off Muslims. He can't even be pictured in our textbooks for history purposes. Infact, the only mental image I have of Mohammad at this time is a bearded guy with a bomb on his head. The picture of Jesus can be used at will. And yes I have seen deprecating images of Jesus, but most of them aren't so I still have the classic robe+beard guy image in my head. And of course the one where he's on the cross with nails in his hands.

that is the reason why those cartoon were bad. In Islam picture of prophets is not allowed. Why do you need a picture? If you want to remember gandhi or budha or anybody else remember for what they did not how they looked. Regarding Mohamed is not important to you comment. Let say It is like saying to son of lady " hey you I can draw picture of your mother naked with suggestive position with the bum on the street, I will do it because I can" Of course you can but you will expect the son to get upset and angry.

crazy monkey said:

If Mohammad didn't start Islam this wouldn't have happened, I blame Mohammad for the deaths. You know what, if god didn't send us Mohammad this wouldn't have happened either, I blame Allah for the deaths.

Be more reasonable please and have some respect to others and stop posting my name all over this forum, I am attacking your beliefs and claims, your attacking me personally, its not the same thing and its not fun either.

Anaxagoras said:
Be more reasonable please and have some respect to others and stop posting my name all over this forum, I am attacking your beliefs and claims, your attacking me personally, its not the same thing and its not fun either.

my religion to me is more important than my self and of all people you are asking for respect? You respect other and people will respect you.

Anaxagoras said:
This is rich.

crazy monkey said:
my religion to me is more important than my self and of all people you are asking for respect? You respect other and people will respect you.

Its a different thing to attack your beliefs or any beliefs in a respectful manner than to out an exmuslim on the internet. Its my privacy and I wish you respect it a little bit more.

Stop your silly game of you criticize Islam and I will post your name after every comment you leave.

Will you stop that?

Anaxagoras said:
Its a different thing to attack your beliefs or any beliefs in a respectful manner than to out an exmuslim on the internet. Its my privacy and I wish you respect it a little bit more.

Stop your silly game of you criticize Islam and I will post your name after every comment you leave.

Will you stop that?
He has the freedom of expression to do so. Why do you want to restrict his freedom? He's not attacking you or anything.

Anaxagoras said:

Will you stop that?

you are expecting respect for what?

RustyNails said:
This is rich.
Discussing religions and outing someone on forums are not the same thing really.

Criticizing your belief that the ps3 is not the greatest gaming console available right now is not the same thing as spamming your home address on forums.

RustyNails said:
He has the freedom of expression to do so. Why do you want to restrict his freedom? He's not attacking you or anything.

He is free to do so but he is still attacking me which is different from attacking my arguments and claims.

crazy monkey said:
you are expecting respect for what?

What have I done to you so that you do this to me?
Is it because I criticize Islam that you insist on spamming my name all over the forum?
Grow up a little.

Anaxagoras said:
He is free to do so but he is still attacking me which is different from attacking my arguments and claims.

you still don't get it eh. All i did was say your name and you are crying like baby and telling me to respect you?

Anaxagoras said:
Discussing religions and outing someone on forums are not the same thing really.

Criticizing your belief that the ps3 is not the greatest gaming console available right now is not the same thing as spamming your home address on forums.
Suddenly, we all should give a little consideration to other people's feelings. This is fucking rich. Do you honestly believe you are "discussing" religions here? You just insult Islam post after post after post after post. There's no discussion with you. You know this. And besides, who gives a shit about your name? Don't act like suddenly your privacy is violated after you had "Nizar" as your screen name for eons on NeoGAF.
I didn't see him anywhere attacking you other than referring to you by your previous screen name.

crazy monkey said:
you still don't get it eh. grow up.
What do you mean I don't get it?

I am discussing Islam in the Official Islamic thread.
You are spamming my real name after every comment I leave.

How can you not see the difference?
I don't really care whether you are partaking in this discussion, I will continue to discuss religion, because its not about you! I am not discussing Islam just to annoy you.

I am not going to kill you or attack you back for doing so but I will ask you nicely to stop this silliness, this is not a mature way to behave.

I have nothing against you, I am not attacking you, I am attacking Islam.
Just because I have the right to call you whenever I want doesn't mean I will do so, I can but it would be immature and childish if I behave so.

Do you see the difference now? or are you still amused that you found that something to do that will annoy me? Now, will you stop it please?

Anaxagoras said:
I have nothing against you, I am not attacking you, I am attacking Islam.

I am Muslim. Islam is my religion. It is something that is more important to me than my self. you want get this thinking though and I don't expect you to get it either.

crazy monkey said:
All i did was say your name and you are crying like baby and telling me to respect you? you can go around telling everyone what ever you want about islam and we are not suppose to get hurt?

Yes, I am crying like a baby, will you stop now?

Don't read this thread if criticizing Islam hurts you, if you don't want to get hurt go watch some Islamic censored tv channel.

Criticizing Islam is not about you, posting my real name after every comment I leave is about me.

How about I start spamming your mothers number on /b/?
I have the right to do so but it is still stupid, immature and childish behavior.

crazy monkey said:
I am Muslim. Islam is my religion. It is something that is more important to me than my self. you want get this thinking though and I don't expect you to get it either.
He won't.
How about I start spamming your mothers number on /b/?
Hyperbolic to the nth order. Saying someone's previous screen name on NeoGAF is suddenly similar to spamming someone's private phone number on 4chan. This is beyond rich :lol

RustyNails said:
Hyperbolic to the nth order. Saying someone's previous screen name on NeoGAF is suddenly similar to spamming someone's private phone number on 4chan. This is beyond rich :lol
and he will still say I need to grow up.

crazy monkey said:

I don't care how much you love your prophet and his message, I will still criticize it because this is not about you. This is the Official Islamic third not the Official Out Nizar thread.

I can say anything I like about any idea, piece of art, religion, football team, political movement. You get hurt, suck it up, its your problem.

If I talk shit about you behind your back or attack your privacy then I am being disrespectful to you.

In fact, you know what bugs me more than you following me around and spamming my name as if its your religious duty to do so, is that there are still people like you who have partaken in hundreds of pages of related discussion on an open minded forum like gaf and still don't get such simple differences.

RustyNails said:
He won't.

The point that both of you have missed and cheaply giggled at is that there is a similarity between this and posting my real name here. Both are silly, cheap, disrespectful, immature and childish.

Its a shame that I have to use extreme examples for you guys to point out the differences and still miss.

crazy monkey said:
and he will still say I need to grow up.
Yes, I am still saying that you need to stop this immature behavior and grow up, learn how to behave.
The difference is that I haven't done it while you have been following me for weeks posting my name after every comment I leave.

If the search function here works I would have gone through your post history and posted all those comments you left to show you and others how pathetic you are.

Anaxagoras said:
Yes, I am still saying that you need to stop this immature behavior and grow up, learn how to behave.
The difference is that I haven't done it while you have been following me for weeks posting my name after every comment I leave.

If the search function here works I would have gone through your post history and posted all those comments you left to show you and others how pathetic you are.
Do it next time when it is available.I only reply to you with your name because that is your name. If you have problem with your name change it. You can post my name here if you want. No one on internet is anonymous. Don't teach other what to do and don't think so highly of your self. Learn how to behave your self first.

Anaxagoras said:
I can say anything I like about any idea, piece of art, religion, football team, political movement. You get hurt, suck it up, its your problem.

If I talk shit about you behind your back or attack your privacy then I am being disrespectful to you.

you should suck it up too and i am not talking behind you i am right here. cry more. I did not even commented you I just replied to other person in the first place. you are bitching about same thing for past 30 minutes now. No one would have notice this but you want everyone to get notice then it is your choice.

crazy monkey said:
Do it next time when it is available.I only reply to you with your name because that is your name. If you have problem with your name change it. You can post my name here if you want. No one on internet is anonymous. Don't teach other what to do and don't think so highly of your self. Learn how to behave your self first.
I know how to behave and even if I didn't Im smart enough to engage in a debate without turning to such means of proving a point.
Also, just because you don't have a problem when people call you anytime doesn't mean others don't.
Now please show some respect to my privacy and stop it.

crazy monkey said:
you should suck it up too and i am not talking behind you i am right here. cry more. I did not even commented you I just replied to other person in the first place. you are bitching about same thing for past 30 minutes now. No one would have notice this but you want everyone to get notice then it is your choice.

Because you don't get it! that's why!
I don't care if anyone notices, its childish and it irritates me.

Anaxagoras said:
Also, just because you don't have a problem when people call you anytime doesn't mean others don't.
Now please show some respect to my privacy and stop it.

oh suck it up. That is what I am suppose to do so every time right.

Anaxagoras said:
Because you don't get it! that's why! I don't care if anyone notices, its childish and it irritates me.

see above. You don't get it either. Go to sleep now McLovin.

crazy monkey said:
oh suck it up.
see above. You don't get it either. Go to sleep now Mclovin.

I am not going to argue with you anymore.
Whether or not you will stop this I just know that I don't like it and I have nothing against you. Me criticizing Islam is not about hurting your feelings.

Good night.

Being Muslim in Today's India

This is a must watch. It features Shah Rukh Khan (you must know who he is), Zakir Naik, an agnostic Muslim and host of other elite Muslims on their identity on being Muslim and what it means for them. Part 2 and Part 3 links.

I don't know what Soha Ali Khan was doing there :p Frankly, I was disappointed in Zakir Naik's views...Watch and you will understand.

Az

I can finally come back to this thread and read some good articles. Really happy that islamophobe is banned, can't even argue with his intentions just looking at the amount of posts here and threads made.

Top Bottom