• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Islamic Thread

lopaz

Banned
Hadji said:
Gah. You know what I mean. <__<

It's the rapists fault first and foremost.

:p
There is something to be said for the idea that the culture in the UK is causing stupid attitudes about rape, like the third who think it's the woman's fault. But we are a stupid country. Plenty of countries on this list http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_rap_percap-crime-rapes-per-capita that hadji posted are not islamic and have sexualised cultures, without having lots of rapes. anyways im off for tonight, lators doods

Amir0x

Banned
See you guys buck and scream, but despite some bumps this conversation is probably one of the best we've had on the Islamic faith.

VERY enlightening, that post by effzee was particularly effective. I am fascinated by this stuff.

Yasser

HotByCold said:
Well, the shia only have to pray 3 times/day and can even do all prayers in one occasion.
well i'm shia so my answer is going to reflect that ^_^ you're right, we pray the 2 afternoon prayers one after the other and the same for the evening prayers. you can in theory do all the prayers in one go, the reward is much less than if you had done them within the right time

Atrus

Gold Member
One thing that never ceases to amaze me is the utter stupidity some people can show when trying to advocate their religious views. In this case it's not only ignorant but represents some truly vile thought processes.

Rape is about power and control, not sex. If people wanted sex, there are plenty of outlets such as prostitutes or through the exploitation of quick marriages/divorces. Furthermore, statistics show that rapes are carried in majority by a close relation of the woman such as family members, boyfriends, husbands or friends rather than complete strangers.

The significant factor behind rape cases are intent and relationship to the victim, and the clothes they wear aren't a factor in who gets raped. Even a full out Burqa does nothing to stop rape cases in Afghanistan where gender apartheid makes widowed women easy targets.

Second, the amount of freedom and persecution in the environment will factor into rape statistics. Countries which have the Hudood Ordinance or similar laws, co-factored with global statistics of honor killings seem to relate closely with how many women would admit to being raped at all. Who the hell would risk death to claim rape?

Thirdly, the idea that all women have to cover up because some small minority of men are vermin is incompetent logic. Even more moronic is the insinuation that men are just rapists waiting for a reason to rape. This does not demonstrably apply to men, so the only applicable outlook to such a suggestion is that they are speaking of only Muslim men, and if so, that would make them inferior to men elsewhere. I doubt Muslim men would like to support such insinuations, at least those educated enough to renounce such ideas from the outset.

Hadji

Banned
effzee said:
As a Sunni I do not believe in the Shia version of history, but am totally against the Sunnis in their condemnation of the Shias and the violence against them.

So, you don't condemn Shias for cursing the companions?

That's strange coming from a Sunni.

Yasser

Hadji said:

tbh as a shia myself i'm not too crazy about cursing the 3 companions and a certain wife; after all who are we to judge?

lopaz

Banned
Atrus said:
One thing that never ceases to amaze me is the utter stupidity some people can show when trying to advocate their religious views. In this case it's not only ignorant but represents some truly vile thought processes.

Rape is about power and control, not sex. If people wanted sex, there are plenty of outlets such as prostitutes or through the exploitation of quick marriages/divorces. Furthermore, statistics show that rapes are carried in majority by a close relation of the woman such as family members, boyfriends, husbands or friends rather than complete strangers.

The significant factor behind rape cases are intent and relationship to the victim, and the clothes they wear aren't a factor in who gets raped. Even a full out Burqa does nothing to stop rape cases in Afghanistan where gender apartheid makes widowed women easy targets.

Second, the amount of freedom and persecution in the environment will factor into rape statistics. Countries which have the Hudood Ordinance or similar laws, co-factored with global statistics of honor killings seem to relate closely with how many women would admit to being raped at all. Who the hell would risk death to claim rape?

Thirdly, the idea that all women have to cover up because some small minority of men are vermin is incompetent logic. Even more moronic is the insinuation that men are just rapists waiting for a reason to rape. This does not demonstrably apply to men, so the only applicable outlook to such a suggestion is that they are speaking of only Muslim men, and if so, that would make them inferior to men elsewhere. I doubt Muslim men would like to support such insinuations, at least those educated enough to renounce such ideas from the outset.

This. (adding words in brackets to avoid memery)

Chrono

Banned
Atrus said:

Refreshing post.

CHYME

Banned
Hadji said:

So you condemn Shias and don't believe they are real Muslims? I'm just trying to understand where you're coming from...

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
HotByCold said:
Well, the shia only have to pray 3 times/day and can even do all prayers in one occasion.

Just to clear up some things, this doesn't meant that shias don't have to do their 5 daily prayers and only have to pray 3 prayers, it just means that we can bunch them up like fajr in the morning, zuhr and asr in the afternoon, and maghrib and isha in the evening, but we still have to wait for the time of prayer to pray any of these.

Xeke

Banned
Didn't Islam initially spread because Muhammad was a conquerer who led several military campaigns to try and take over most of the Arabian Peninsula? Maybe I'm wrong about that.

But thats what I learned in my Western Civ class.

pj

Banned
I think Ali's right to succeed Muhammad only became a huge issue after Ali was assassinated, and the Shi'i vowed to never recognize another caliph as being valid or something

Xeke said:
Didn't Islam initially spread because Muhammad was a conquerer who led several military campaigns to try and take over most of the Arabian Peninsula? Maybe I'm wrong about that.

Muhammad only took mecca, as far as I know.

Umar (second caliph) was the one who started the conquering stuff, to placate the ummah

Xeke

Banned
pj325is said:
I think Ali's right to succeed Muhammad only became a huge issue after Ali was assassinated, and the Shi'i vowed to never recognize another caliph as being valid or something

Muhammad only took mecca, as far as I know.

Umar (second caliph) was the one who started the conquering stuff, to placate the ummah

Ah yeah, thats right. It's been a while since that class. But the idea is still that Islam was initially spread by militarism and I'm pretty sure that is true.

avaya

Atrus said:

Concise and to the point.

pj

Banned
Xeke said:
Ah yeah, thats right. It's been a while since that class. But the idea is still that Islam was initially spread by militarism and I'm pretty sure that is true.

Well, as a ruling empire, it spread like that, but it spread more organically as a religion. The Muslims mostly walked into former branches of the persian and byzantine empires where there was a power vacuum and an existing beaurocratic infrastructure. The day to day lives of the people in conquered lands didn't change much. Christians and jews weren't forced to convert, though many did, because being part of the ummah was great for business

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Xeke said:

That is one way to interpret the facts. Muslims certainly do not see it that way. They tell the story of a man who was persecuted for his beliefs by the reigning chiefs, and he and his followers acted in self defense against them. This led to a great conflict that eventually led to all out raids and warfare, but in the end his enemies agreed with his religion and welcomed him to rule in their city.

It could also be that a religiously-flavored warlord started a conflict and, through victory, imposed his belief structure on the populace.

I'm not taking sides but this IS the basic difference in interpretation between believers and non-believers.

It could be that a religion really did spread on its own despite this conflict.... Or it could be that imposed through dominance.

laserbeam

Banned
Xeke said:

This is a touchy subject so you will probably not get a answer from without studying yourself. History shows Islam was spread via conquest until the conquest attempted to move into France. The Islamic invasion force was defeated and then Europe fought back and hence the Crusades were born to "liberate" conquered lands.

Jews and Christians as "people of the book" were given 3 options when their Lands were conquered. Die,Convert or Pay Islam to let them live as 2nd class citizens.

Non Jews and Non Christians were given two options. Die or Convert.

Should explain a bit of why so many areas turned fast
Age_of_Caliphs.png

But as I said you should probably read of the events in that period as Both sides will claim they are the victims of aggression from the other.

Xeke

Banned
laserbeam said:
This is a touchy subject so you will probably not get a answer from without studying yourself. History shows Islam was spread via conquest until the conquest attempted to move into France. The Islamic invasion force was defeated and then Europe fought back and hence the Crusades were born to "liberate" conquered lands.

Jews and Christians as "people of the book" were given 3 options when their Lands were conquered. Die,Convert or Pay Islam to let them live as 2nd class citizens.

Age_of_Caliphs.png

But as I said you should probably read of the events in that period as Both sides will claim they are the victims of aggression from the other.

Thanks, that map is just what I was hoping for. I'll admit, I'm much more knowledgeable about the Roman and pre-Roman periods.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
laserbeam said:

It would have been prudent to just convert. And for those with strongly held beliefs like Jews and Christians? They were given protection and freedom of their faith. Muslims were reluctant to convert them because they were paying taxes to the state. why give that up?

besiktas1

Nice thread (ignoring the little amount of arguing)

I tell you the parts of Islam I love hearing about/want to know more about is the end of the world stuff.

Like the prophecies, then how it comes to be ect.

A few minor is like buildings becoming taller, distances shorter, ect.

Then the major ones, Jesus coming back (I think I remember right).

Can anybody elaborate or add please...

Sorry my knowledge is little but it's very interesting IMO.

Syringe

Culture should not be confused with Islam

I really don't think many people (myself included) dislikes islam at all. It's the extremists (that somehow has become terrorists) everyone hates. People in Europe or the US have no problem with people in Tunisia, Marocco or Egypt and there is no debate about them. They are allies more than anything else, even though they are islamic countries.

The thing is that they are not extremists at all. I actually read the quran translated to swedish once, and I can almost feel that those countries that are "less" islamic is more faithful to the quran than countries like Afghanistan when they were under taliban laws.

My only point is that despite what Warrior 300 says (and his excelent thread), culture has been confused with islam. Not only by christian people in Europe and the US, but amongst muslims themselves. Don't you, Warrior300, think so to?

lopaz

Banned
Syringe said:
Culture should not be confused with Islam

I really don't think many people (myself included) dislikes islam at all. It's the extremists (that somehow has become terrorists) everyone hates. People in Europe or the US have no problem with people in Tunisia, Marocco or Egypt and there is no debate about them. They are allies more than anything else, even though they are islamic countries.

The thing is that they are not extremists at all. I actually read the quran translated to swedish once, and I can almost feel that those countries that are "less" islamic is more faithful to the quran than countries like Afghanistan when they were under taliban laws.

My only point is that despite what Warrior 300 says (and his excelent thread), culture has been confused with islam. Not only by christian people in Europe and the US, but amongst muslims themselves.
I dislike Islam. Only the more extreme form of it causes major problems, but it's still a fairly negative thing in my book. That's not to say I dislike all muslims, of course not, I like lots of people who I disagree with, but it's a system of beliefs that has too much crap for my taste.

GSG Flash

lopaz said:
I dislike Islam. Only the more extreme form of it causes major problems, but it's still a fairly negative thing in my book. That's not to say I dislike all muslims, of course not, I like lots of people who I disagree with, but it's a system of beliefs that has too much crap for my taste.

What do you think about the other abrahamic religions?

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Atrus said:

post of the weekend

AmMortal

Banned
lopaz said:

Religion in general can be very dangerous when it is the wrong hands.

stereotyping is wrong.

Either do research on islam on your own and find out more about it before you come to a conclusion, if not please stop with these anti islam posts, i know where you stand and how you feel about muslims. There is no reason to continue this nonsense.

Im not here to argue but to inform, there is only so much i can do and replying to 10 people (who obviously made up their mind before coming in this thread) every 5 min is not one of them.

Im happy some know now more about islam, since that is the main purpose of this thread.

lopaz

Banned
Warrior300 said:

stereotyping is wrong.

Either do research on islam on your own and find out more about it before you come to a conclusion, if not please stop with these anti islam posts, i know where you stand and how you feel about muslims. There is no reason to continue this nonsense.

Im not here to argue but to inform, there is only so much i can do and replying to 10 people (who obviously made up their mind before coming in this thread) every 5 min is not one of them.

Im happy some know now more about islam, since that is the main purpose of this thread.

What do you want me to do, learn about every doctrine of the religion just so I can declare I dislike it? What's the point? Like any major world religon there are going to be hundreds of different strains and countless different beliefs within the umbrella term, but any idiot can see that it's illogical and is having negative effects in much of the world. Hey guess what, I've never read mein kampf, I still know I'm not a big fan of nazis.

Xeke

Banned
Warrior300 said:

stereotyping is wrong.

Does Islam have any rules about Marijuana?

CHYME

Banned
Fatwa (ruling) of Shaikh Mahmood Shaltoot

Head Office of al-Azhar University:

IN THE NAME OF ALLAH, THE BENEFICENT, THE MERCIFUL Text of the Verdict (Fatwa) Issued by His Excellency Shaikh al-Akbar Mahmood Shaltoot, Head of the al-Azhar University, on Permissibility of Following "al-Shia al-Imamiyyah" School of Thought

His Excellency was asked:

Some believe that, for a Muslim to have religiously correct worship and dealing, it is necessary to follow one of the four known schools of thought, whereas, "al-Shia al-Imamiyyah" school of thought is not one of them nor "al-Shia al-Zaidiyyah." Do your Excellency agree with this opinion, and prohibit following "al-Shia al-Imamiyyah al-Ithna Ashariyyah" school of thought, for example?

His Excellency replied:

1) Islam does not require a Muslim to follow a particular Madh'hab (school of thought). Rather, we say: every Muslim has the right to follow one of the schools of thought which has been correctly narrated and its verdicts have been compiled in its books. And, everyone who is following such Madhahib [schools of thought] can transfer to another school, and there shall be no crime on him for doing so.

2) The Ja'fari school of thought, which is also known as "al-Shia al- Imamiyyah al-Ithna Ashariyyah" (i.e., The Twelver Imami Shi'ites) is a school of thought that is religiously correct to follow in worship as are other Sunni schools of thought. Muslims must know this, and ought to refrain from unjust prejudice to any particular school of thought, since the religion of Allah and His Divine Law (Shari'ah) was never restricted to a particular school of thought. Their jurists (Mujtahidoon) are accepted by Almighty Allah, and it is permissible to the "non-Mujtahid" to follow them and to accord with their teaching whether in worship (Ibadaat) or transactions (Mu'amilaat).

Signed, Mahmood Shaltoot.

The above Fatwa was announced on July 6, 1959 from the Head of al-Azhar University, and was subsequently published in many publications in the Middle East which include, but are not limited to:

al-Sha'ab newspaper (Egypt), issue of July 7, 1959. al-Kifah newspaper (Lebanon), issue of July 8, 1959.

Armitage

Warrior300 I asked you this in another thread but you kind of pussy footed around it: do you think the koran is inerrant? As in, the literal truth?

Zapages

Xeke said:
Does Islam have any rules about Marijuana?

Like all drugs that tamper with the judgment/perception it is a sin and goes against the religion.

CHYME said:
Fatwa (ruling) of Shaikh Mahmood Shaltoot

Head Office of al-Azhar University:

IN THE NAME OF ALLAH, THE BENEFICENT, THE MERCIFUL Text of the Verdict (Fatwa) Issued by His Excellency Shaikh al-Akbar Mahmood Shaltoot, Head of the al-Azhar University, on Permissibility of Following "al-Shia al-Imamiyyah" School of Thought

His Excellency was asked:

Some believe that, for a Muslim to have religiously correct worship and dealing, it is necessary to follow one of the four known schools of thought, whereas, "al-Shia al-Imamiyyah" school of thought is not one of them nor "al-Shia al-Zaidiyyah." Do your Excellency agree with this opinion, and prohibit following "al-Shia al-Imamiyyah al-Ithna Ashariyyah" school of thought, for example?

His Excellency replied:

1) Islam does not require a Muslim to follow a particular Madh'hab (school of thought). Rather, we say: every Muslim has the right to follow one of the schools of thought which has been correctly narrated and its verdicts have been compiled in its books. And, everyone who is following such Madhahib [schools of thought] can transfer to another school, and there shall be no crime on him for doing so.

2) The Ja'fari school of thought, which is also known as "al-Shia al- Imamiyyah al-Ithna Ashariyyah" (i.e., The Twelver Imami Shi'ites) is a school of thought that is religiously correct to follow in worship as are other Sunni schools of thought. Muslims must know this, and ought to refrain from unjust prejudice to any particular school of thought, since the religion of Allah and His Divine Law (Shari'ah) was never restricted to a particular school of thought. Their jurists (Mujtahidoon) are accepted by Almighty Allah, and it is permissible to the "non-Mujtahid" to follow them and to accord with their teaching whether in worship (Ibadaat) or transactions (Mu'amilaat).

Signed, Mahmood Shaltoot.

The above Fatwa was announced on July 6, 1959 from the Head of al-Azhar University, and was subsequently published in many publications in the Middle East which include, but are not limited to:

al-Sha'ab newspaper (Egypt), issue of July 7, 1959. al-Kifah newspaper (Lebanon), issue of July 8, 1959.

They should have worked on creating Khilifat instead of the Arab Union...

Regardless of that, that is really well written. :)

Armitage said:
Warrior300 I asked you this in another thread but you kind of pussy footed around it: do you think the koran is inerrant? As in, the literal truth?

As the Holy Quran is God's words. Then it is the truth and with the verified Hadiths they are true foundations and teaching of Islam.

Ydahs

Wow, this thread took a turn.

About the whole West issue: I think what warrior300 is trying to say that if women wear tight clothing and dress to impress it will certainly catch the attention of the male. This MAY lead to harassment.
I'm not saying that all women dress to impress, but there are quite a bit of people who do (in Australia at least).

It's forbidden for a man in Islam to stare at the body of a female in well... you know what way... That is why Muslim women are encouraged (not forced) to wear a headscarf. Though it's a requirement to wear loose clothing.

A man would more likely take a second glance at a women dressed inappropriately (Islamicly) than a women dressed loosely wearing a hijab.

Many have said "what's wrong with dressing like that?". Warrior300 took a wrong approach with this. He shouldn't have posted those images.

It might not be considered wrong in the West since many have become accustomed to it, but it's wrong from an Islamic perspective and in Muslim countries. Why? Because it can distract men and can give them bad thoughts.

Remember: Islam is a religion not a culture! I personally hate this whole West/Islam discussion.

If a woman wants to become a devout Muslim, she'd understand why she has to wear a headscarf and loose clothing. You can't worship Allah sincerely while trying to attract the attention of males!

I hope that made sense and was of any relevance...

effzee

Atrus said:

Well of course no matter what measure you take humanity is humanity and crime will exist everywhere.

What i never seem to understand is your insistence on trying to prove to Muslims that God does not exist. I mean we all know your athiest and thus disagree with all religion. This thread was not created to PROVE the existence of God. It is to answer some questions people might have about Islam.

Oh well it was bound to happen. I am just shocked it took you so long to get in here this time.

AmMortal

Banned
Ydahs said:

About the whole West issue: I think what warrior300 is trying to say that if women wear tight clothing and dress to impress it will certainly catch the attention of the male. This MAY lead to harassment.
I'm not saying that all women dress to impress, but there are quite a bit of people who do (in Australia at least).

It's forbidden for a man in Islam to stare at the body of a female in well... you know what way... That is why Muslim women are encouraged (not forced) to wear a headscarf. Though it's a requirement to wear loose clothing.

A man would more likely take a second glance at a women dressed inappropriately (Islamicly) than a women dressed loosely wearing a hijab.

Many have said "what's wrong with dressing like that?". Warrior300 took a wrong approach with this. He shouldn't have posted those images.

It might not be considered wrong in the West since many have become accustomed to it, but it's wrong from an Islamic perspective and in Muslim countries. Why? Because it can distract men and can give them bad thoughts.

Remember: Islam is a religion not a culture! I personally hate this whole West/Islam discussion.

If a woman wants to become a devout Muslim, she'd understand why she has to wear a headscarf and loose clothing. You can't worship Allah sincerely while trying to attract the attention of males!

Those images were just an example because someone i was argueing with asked me to show an example. I have nothing against women in the west, nor do i think they should change their ways if they dont want to. After all G-d gave us freedom of choice for a reason and i disagree with women having to be FORCED to cover up too.

Im sorry if i offended anyone because that was not my intention.

avaya

effzee said:
Well of course no matter what measure you take humanity is humanity and crime will exist everywhere.

What i never seem to understand is your insistence on trying to prove to Muslims that God does not exist. I mean we all know your athiest and thus disagree with all religion. This thread was not created to PROVE the existence of God. It is to answer some questions people might have about Islam.

Oh well it was bound to happen. I am just shocked it took you so long to get in here this time.

Maybe I'm reading his post wrong but wasn't it centred around deconstructing the reasoning behind the hijab?

effzee

Hadji said:

no well I of course do not agree with that one bit and it makes me cringe to know that the Shia community takes pleasure in cursing men who I believe were of great character and honor.

but what i meant was that i do not condemn the Shia community as a whole to be infidels or whatever. i do not know the exact wording but calling someone a kafir is a big big thing. and if you are not sure about it then you shouldn't say it because you do not know whats in someone's heart and more importantly its not up to you to decide. i just dont get why in a world and time where Muslims should be worrying more about their countries and their ppl the prominent issues seem to be sectarian violence and ppl who make cartoons mocking the Prophet(pbuh).

Artie said:
Is the whole (pbuh) after God/Muhammad/Prophet out of respect?

yes it is. i may be wrong but it also stems from the Arabic language where there are 3-4 different ways to say "you" depending on who your speaking to. sort of like how in spanish there is a formal and informal. respect through language is a big deal not only in Arabic, but most Eastern languages.

similarly i wrote (ra) after Ali's name to indicate respect for him. its sort of like a respect plus status symbol.

Chrono

Banned
effzee said:

Learn to read. There's nothing in the post you quoted about the existence of god.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Ydahs said:

I always thought that women covering up was a bad thing. Humans, naturally, must have some free sexual expression. Forcing all women to cover up and never allow men to look at them will cause sexual repression. Eventually, that will explode into violence, which could result in rape. This happens many times in Muslim countries and it's quickly covered up.

Formless

jamesinclair said:
So hows that no charging interest thing working out. Should I apply for a loan at an islamic bank?
Some Islamic banks take in deposits from savers, then lend it to businesses that pay some profits to the bank, and this money is then given to depositors. (Mudarabah, sp?)

Ydahs

cashman said:
So that means no caffeine?
Caffeine isn't like drugs and alcohol. Normal amounts won't cause much problems to the mind.

But taking anything that can cause serious harm is prohibited or discouraged. Things such as excessive amounts of caffeine or even smoking, which is now forbidden.

Many imams ruled smoking to be forbidden since it causes direct harm to the body.Though those who are addicted to smoking before this ruling came forward are excused by Allah, as long as they're trying to rid their addiction.

Futureman

Ydahs said:
Though those who are addicted to smoking before this ruling came forward are excused by Allah, as long as they're trying to rid their addiction.

I'm not here to mock Islam or religion in general, but as an agnostic some religious stuff sounds so funny.

pewye

Banned
I never understood the Shia's point of view of the events that happened after Prophet Mohammad's death.

And I have no idea where they get some of their beliefs.

GSG Flash

pewye said:
I never understood the Shia's point of view of the events that happened after Prophet Mohammad's death.

And I have no idea where they get some of their beliefs.

Well..what do you not understand? Chances are you're probably misinformed rather than misunderstanding what you know.

I'll try to clear up what you don't understand tomorrow (because I'm heading to bed right now), but the other shias here will probably be of more help.

Top Bottom