• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '10 Xbox 360 Online Franchise: A World Without Favre

RULE UPDATE!!!

fellas i asked a decent amount of the people in the league what they thought of the proposed "colts benching manning/girley", and the overwhelming majority were against it for a variety of reasons. but the biggest thing is there was never a rule that said "dont run up the score or you have to bench a player", and that is the point that some people made i shouldn't just put a consequence to a rule on the fly.

so no, luke is not going to be required to bench his player. but i am putting it as an official rule that if you do run up the score in an unsportsmanlike manner then your starting qb or rb will be benched for the following regular season game.

now what constitutes running up the score? in my opinion, scoring on a play when you could have just kneeled the ball and finished the game out. now what luke did was not as bad as chucking the ball deep every play with a double digit lead late in the 4th, but running up the score is running up the score.

i do NOT consider taking a pick back for a TD to be running up the score. i do not consider returning a PR/KR for a TD running up the score. i do not consider scoring a TD on a breakaway running play with 5 minutes remaining to be running up the score. i don't think i need to spell out every single possible scenario.

so friends, i implore you, please just take a knee if you are up. don't bother using your TO's if you are down. just let the massacre end and move onto the next game!

Days that the league will advance: Every Wednesday and Saturday at 9 pm pst.

I'm trying to move the league along at a decent pace. 2 hours a week isn't too much to ask fellas. I know we all have different schedules but this should be doable.

I haven't decided on what to do about unplayed games yet. My options are sim or let someone fill in for a missing player.
----------

Commishes:

1. Fifty
2. DMczaf
3. Wellington
4. Coldblooded
5. FMT

FREE AGENCY SYSTEM IN YEAR 1:

All free agents that are in the game (Plaxico, Brooks, whoever else) will be available after we have finished week 4. Why? Well we are going to have a waiver wire style availability. The worst team in the league after 4 weeks will get to sign one player of their choosing, and it goes from there. Tie breaker is team rating.

FREE AGENCY SYSTEM AFTER YEAR 1:

After the pro-bowl is over, you will send me a list of 3 players that you are going to cut. One player must be rated at an 80 or above. The other 2 players at a 75 and above. Every team needs to do this. It's simple guys. You don't need to keep track of shit, just give one of the commishes the players you want to go to free agency and we will handle the rest.

THEN, there will be a "draft style" free agency period. This draft is similar to the regular draft, only we'll be doing a snake style draft. In other words, its similar to fantasy football. It's only a 3 round draft, so if you have the 32nd pick in the first round, you'll have the first pick in the 2nd round. Make sense?

There will be no salary cap or player contracts. I'm trying to make it as easy as possible guys. This is a very easy system. You simply give us the 3 players you want gone, we'll remove them from your team. Once the free agency class is full, then the draft will begin. it won't be a "live" draft or anything. Just PM me or one of the other commishes your preferences and it will all be completed within a week or so. No "homework", very easy!

In addition to this, you cannot trade any free agents you sign in that same season. So lets say you sign Chris McCalister in week 5 of season 1, you cannot trade him in season 1. This is done to prevent draft pick stock piling. Teams dont sign players in the NFL to trade them away for picks. If you sign a player, he's staying on your team for that year unless some drastic injury comes about and you're forced to trade him for a starter or something.
-------

About the Draft:

* This will be a live draft. It will be held online on your PC or you can be in the lobby on your xbox. You can pre-set your draft just like fantasy football so everyone knows how to do that.

* Pre-existing NFL trades will stand for us. That means that the Broncos owner gets the Bears owners 1st round pick, the Panthers have to give their first round pick to the 49ers, etc.

Now you may ask "but how can we do that? i can't just "give" a pick to someone, the game wont let me!" Very easy. The panthers will trade their 1st round pick and 7th round pick to the 49ers for the 49ers 7th round pick. Then, when that is completed, we can trade 7th round picks back. Done! I'll compile a list of the future draft picks due before we start the online franchise.
----------

Trade Deadline: Week 6

----------

Rules:

yes, there are going to be rules. I will update these as the league launch date approaches, but here are the rules we know for sure:

1. This is a sim league. Do not abuse shit or play like there is a $250,000 prize at stake. Don't run the same fucking play over and over and over. I shouldn't have to spell everything out for you but i know there is a thin line sometimes. Use your best discretion but blatant disregard for the sim-nature of the league will result in a banning from the league.

2. Be courteous to your opponent. We're all best friends here, so there is no reason to rub someones nose in shit after you've beaten them, there's no reason to run up the score on people, there's no reason for any of that shit. Just be cool dudes.

3. Manual WR control is absolutely banned in all circumstances. Rocket catching may or may not be in the game still, we don't know. But lets just keep it simple: do not manually control your WR to make a catch.

4. No manual blitzing with LB's or CB's. You can take control of a defensive lineman and rush the QB, that's fine.

5. d-line SPREAD WIDE is banned as is nano blitzing. by spread, i mean making your D spread out wide. you can still pinch the line, or move them left or right.

6. guys please use the flats passes to halfbacks sparingly. i could definitely support it in the cases where someone is just coming with an all out blitz but having the HB as your #1 option is a bit out there. i'm not going to set a hard line "YOU CAN ONLY HAVE 3 FLATS RECEPTIONS BY YOUR RB!" but just keep it within the realm of reason.

7. Please don't move multiple defensive players around before the snap. pick a guy on defense and do what you need to do with him but dont pick the SS, move him up, pick the FS, move him out, pick the LB and move him out, etc etc.

8. 4th down rules:

1) No going for it in your own territory unless its the 4th quarter and you are losing.
2) In no mans land (I'd say thats what 30-45 yard line?) you can only go for it IF (you are tied OR you are losing OR you are winning by one score) AND its within 7 yards.
3) IN OVERTIME, you can go for it from midfield (50 yard line) and into your opponents territory. You cannot go for it in your own territory in any circumstance in OT.

Everything else is a judgment call. What I mean is anything not stated as against the rules = fine. This allows for situations like strikers, like 4th and inches attempts near goalline up by 3, etc. Since only two places on the field are mentioned: 1) your side of the field and 2) no man's land

-----------

If any of the above is a problem for you then let me know. I can't say I'm going to bend on any of the rules but I'm not some type of robot that can't be reasoned with.

Rorschach

BradVanDam said:
hbk is gonna lose to cody rhodes

:lol

can I be patriots?

I gotta rep Cenas favorite team.
Pats are taken. For now, all teams are taken besides the Cards, Packers, and Broncos, but there's a waiting list too. Not everything is set in stone and some people might drop out before the league starts, but that's how it is for now.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Q: Do the broncos have to trade brian dawkins to the eagles?
A: Only if coldblooded posts about how shitty the eagles front office is on his face book.

Im on it!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Posting this for the new thread.
t1_award.jpg

Love football. Love the Cardinals. Madden is one of the top 3 football serieses' ever. Win-Win-Win.

Fifty

DMczaf said:
This is too much work! I didn't sign up for a JOB!

RABBLE! RABBLE! RABBLE!

I negotiated a "maybe" into my commish contract, so I can back out anytime. Maybe you'll be smart like me someday!

Madden 10 is so hot. Can't wait for the game and for the league.

Are we going to be using some variation of Abner's sliders for the league or can you even tweak that in online leagues this year?

as of right now there are no online sliders available for online franchise. they may or may not patch this, we don't know.

keep in mind that sliders in single player are not the same as multiplayer sliders. they difference is much greater against the CPU. against human opponents you are essentially "sliding" against both players, not for one player and against another. we'll see what happens, but i'm pretty sure they won't be adding it in.

DMczaf

Fifty said:
I negotiated a "maybe" into my commish contract, so I can back out anytime. Maybe you'll be smart like me someday!

Too bad you weren't in the commish meeting last night, we banned the use of the Wide camera in the league.

Smokey

Damnit I hate playing in games where I can't use my team (Texans)

oh well, not like the Chargers are a bad substitute:lol

Fifty

Rorschach said:
Unfortunately, banning camera angles isn't unprecedented, so that doesn't seem too far fetched. :\

Always responsible, Mr. Rors. As long as FMT and Rors are working on the league, it'll be in good hands. Nay, the best hands. I just hope that DMczaf doesn't screw up any of their hard work.

LJ11

Question, what happens if EA hasn't released the opening day rosters by the 1st? Do we just go with whatever they've released, or do we wait?

Rorschach

<3 Fifty. :p

CB3 said:
Crabtree is making the 9ers his bitch. Just like the rest of the nfl
:lol What happens to Crabs if he holds out for the season or for the next year's draft? Do we take him from FMT?

LJ11 said:
Question, what happens if EA hasn't released the opening day rosters by the 1st? Do we just go with whatever they've released, or do we wait?
They usually tell us what day they're releasing them and we get a preview of all the changes well before release, so I think we can play it by ear. If it's gonna be released soon after the third, maybe we can wait, but I don't think anyone would wait for an official release of the 14th. We pretty much know starting day rosters by week 3 of the pre-season, though.

Somnia

Rorschach said:
<3 Fifty. :p

:lol What happens to Crabs if he holds out for the season or for the next year's draft? Do we take him from FMT?

He'll survive he has big V!

P.S. Rors if you do a fantasy I want in if ya got room :D

Rorschach

Somnia said:
P.S. Rors if you do a fantasy I want in if ya got room :D
Definitely. I hadn't started the list yet. Last year, I sent PMs to a bunch of people, but I don't want to bug everyone because they might be in other league and stuff. Plus, you can't mass PM people. >:|

If anyone else wants in on a fantasy league (12 players), let me know!

All free agents that are in the game (Plaxico, Brooks, whoever else) will be available after we have finished week 4. Why? Well we are going to have a waiver wire style availability. The worst team in the league after 4 weeks will get to sign one player of their choosing, and it goes from there. Tie breaker is team rating.

I'm sure a lot of thought went into this rule from you guys, but I think it's a little fundamentally flawed and not in the spirit of true choice-based free agency. Obviously EA dropping the ball on not including the financial systems suck, but I don't think we should have a FA system that awards poor performance. IMO, that's what the off-season draft is for.

I can't stand people that raise issues without solutions, so I have a simple alternative solution that I wanted to put out there for your consideration:

Simple, fair, equal opportunity, and there's no tie breakers to be mindful of. In addition, this solution will have free agents on teams at the start of the season vs mid season.

Thoughts?

Striker

I saw Rod Hood in the FA list and he's on the Browns now. Automatically, I would assume he gets added (if not by EA in the first patch) then before we begin our Season 1.

TheCrow

Just posting so my spot
on the waitlist
doesn't get taken. Hopefully I'll have a better time with EA's servers than my experiences in NCAA.

Shawnwhann said:
I'm sure a lot of thought went into this rule from you guys, but I think it's a little fundamentally flawed and not in the spirit of true choice-based free agency. Obviously EA dropping the ball on not including the financial systems suck, but I don't think we should have a FA system that awards poor performance. IMO, that's what the off-season draft is for.

I can't stand people that raise issues without solutions, so I have a simple alternative solution that I wanted to put out there for your consideration:

Simple, fair, equal opportunity, and there's no tie breakers to be mindful of. In addition, this solution will have free agents on teams at the start of the season vs mid season.

Thoughts?

we discussed a random list/hat drawing/etc. but the thing that made the most sense is to make it performance based.

you're not "awarding" medoicrity or poor play. free agency is used for teams that need help at certain positions. in a random list, the patrtiots could win the #1 slot and pick plaxico (im just using him as an example, i know he's not going to be there when the league starts) even though they dont need a wr. they would be stockpiling players they dont need to prevent others from getting them.

this could feasibly happen ANYWAYS, but i think the performance based for season 1 is more fair. it's also not "half way" through the season, it's a quarter of the way through the season.

you don't need a top FA if you're 4-0 after the first few weeks, but you might need some help if you are 0-4 or 1-3 and losing because you're just missing a couple players here and there. thats what FA should be. this is why you don't see a team like the steelers making a big splash in the real free agency, they are already a good team and dont NEED any of the "elite" free agents out there.

Birdman02

Smokey said:
Damnit I hate playing in games where I can't use my team (Texans)

oh well, not like the Chargers are a bad substitute:lol

I know how you feel. I'll never be able to use my 49ers in a Madden league (at least not the main league) as long as FMT's around. Some BS about him running all the leagues and paying for league daddy all those years!!

Birdman02 said:
I know how you feel. I'll never be able to use my 49ers in a Madden league (at least not the main league) as long as FMT's around. Some BS about him running all the leagues and paying for league daddy all those years!!

YOU WANNA BREAK ME DOWN!?

i will trade damon huard to you so you can have a little niner flava on your roster!

Slo

I'm on the fence. I'm probably going to get the game, but my schedule is really stacking up this fall so my limited availability might piss some people off. I'll let you guys know.

Birdman02

FrenchMovieTheme said:
YOU WANNA BREAK ME DOWN!?

i will trade damon huard to you so you can have a little niner flava on your roster!

Hold on, I'm pretty sure I remember you saying you'd trade me Mark Roman (or some other DB) for the worst player on my team. I'm holding you to that, dammit!! :lol

Rorschach

Striker said:
FMT,

How will trades work? No major ones in or prior to Season 1?

What about Braylon? >:|
You can do your shady ass backroom trades. It just has to be before the trade deadline. ;b

FrenchMovieTheme said:
we discussed a random list/hat drawing/etc. but the thing that made the most sense is to make it performance based.

you're not "awarding" medoicrity or poor play. free agency is used for teams that need help at certain positions. in a random list, the patrtiots could win the #1 slot and pick plaxico (im just using him as an example, i know he's not going to be there when the league starts) even though they dont need a wr. they would be stockpiling players they dont need to prevent others from getting them.

this could feasibly happen ANYWAYS, but i think the performance based for season 1 is more fair. it's also not "half way" through the season, it's a quarter of the way through the season.

you don't need a top FA if you're 4-0 after the first few weeks, but you might need some help if you are 0-4 or 1-3 and losing because you're just missing a couple players here and there. thats what FA should be. this is why you don't see a team like the steelers making a big splash in the real free agency, they are already a good team and dont NEED any of the "elite" free agents out there.

Free agency is a tool for everyone to get better, not just the struggling teams. The big disconnect I have is that a performance based workaround isn't in sync with the real league's "open season" type of approach to free agency. Your concern over the rich getting richer is a valid, but that happens in the real league (e.g. Moss to NE, Owens to Buffalo, Taylor to Miami, etc.) too. Teams make shrewd moves in real life, so we can't fault an owner that is interested in doing a Jerry Jones impersonation.

If the 3-1 or 4-0 teams getting richer is a deal-breaker from doing a random scenario, I have two different approaches to address that issue as well. One, we can mandate that 4-0 guys can't sign a player rated higher than "X" number. Or two, the free agent acquisition can't be rated higher than your best player at that position (unless approved by you guys).

We can agree to disagree, but I really think your system is open to be gamed as I can see it being tempting for some to throw a few games for the chance to land a Vick or Burress.

If you're going to do a performance based system, extend the period to 6 weeks so people will think twice about possibly throwing games.

On another FA note, what's the plan for free agents after all 32 teams draft their free agent of choice? Will we be free to sign FA's as needed to address things like season ending injuries in a timely fashion?

Perhaps we have a quick form/format for requesting approval to sign FAs? A dedicated thread for that kind of stuff? I dunno, there's a ton of ways to handle this.

Shawnwhann said:
Free agency is a tool for everyone to get better, not just the struggling teams. The big disconnect I have is that a performance based workaround isn't in sync with the real league's "open season" type of approach to free agency. Your concern over the rich getting richer is a valid, but that happens in the real league (e.g. Moss to NE, Owens to Buffalo, Taylor to Miami, etc.) too. Teams make shrewd moves in real life, so we can't fault an owner that is interested in doing a Jerry Jones impersonation.

If the 3-1 or 4-0 teams getting richer is a deal-breaker from doing a random scenario, I have two different approaches to address that issue as well. One, we can mandate that 4-0 guys can't sign a player rated higher than "X" number. Or two, the free agent acquisition can't be rated higher than your best player at that position (unless approved by you guys).

We can agree to disagree, but I really think your system is open to be gamed as I can see it being tempting for some to throw a few games for the chance to land a Vick or Burress.

If you're going to do a performance based system, extend the period to 6 weeks so people will think twice about possibly throwing games.

1. moss was never a FA, he was acquired in a trade
2. lol when was buffalo rich?
3. taylor to miami? who??

and no one is going to be throwing any games. that would be a horrible idea. to lose 4 games in the NFL in the first 4 weeks is to basically miss the playoffs.

i would definitely consider extending to 6 weeks, but i really dont think 4 weeks is a concern. i don't know of anyone in the league that would throw a game

CB3

Fucking burgess to pats
Looks like rors will get a third and fifth nextdraft

Fifty

Which SOB is going to be using the Pats? I need to know, so I can relentlessly mock them and poison the juice boxes that they bring for lunch at their dead-end job.

CB3

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i'm headed on now rors!

p.s. dm and cb stop being pussies and lets play some marvel! commish style!

i have a nba2k9 draft in half an hour. ill play a game or two

Top Bottom