• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '10 Xbox 360 Online Franchise: A World Without Favre

ph33nix said:
Is it me or is anything farther than 40 yards a really hard kick? :lol

Not with Nick "Money" Folk!

I have noticed that this year places a higher emphasis on how straight you pull and push on your analog stick.

BigAT

ph33nix said:

I had read in some early impressions that this is the case.

It really sounds like the kicking in Madden should be switched with the kicking in NCAA, where you can hit 50+ yarders consistently with even a mediocre kicker. I never really understood why they went so completely unrealistic with the kicking in the NCAA games to be honest.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Shawnwhann said:
EA has a shitty system in place for EA Sports World. They still have my 360 account linked to a college email address I used to have. To change it, I have to log into that old email address to change things. Problem is my school deleted my email address two years after I finished.

Fuckers...

EA Sportsworld is a piece of junk. Always has been.

ph33nix said:

Yeah I noticed that in the demo though.

New uniform choices are awesome. Also it seems like on all madden they make you click on the defenders or they take HORRIBLE angles to the ball carrier.

Rorschach

...so I bought a wired controller and it works, but now I can't use wireless controllers/headset. :\ At least it's lighter. Damn this thing is a money sink hole!

My impressions from retail Madden 10 taken from the official main thread in Gaming Discussion:

Me said:
"Ba da ba ba baaahhhh...I'm loving it!"

In case that isn't detailed enough, here are some random impressions:

- Man coverage is nearly as effective as zone coverage was last year.

- Zone coverage isn't nearly as effective as last year.

- The deep ball is minimized this year. Between the windup to throw, randomized accuracy, and better man coverage; throwing deep isn't a very high percentage play.

- Wildcat is very effective as I've ran for several touchdowns already. On the flip side, the pass plays (e.g Dolphins playbook) from the Wildcat formation don't appear to work consistently.

- Backward sprint to 40 yard pass no longer works. Some asshole playing as the Eagles tried to scramble out the pocket every play, and my DEs (pretty average) were getting pressure on him. On throws McNabb got off, he was highly inaccurate.

- Mixing and matching uniforms is fun as hell!

- The halftime and post game shows are pretty cool. No 2K5 still commentary, but slick nonetheless

- Commentary is good. In playing through a few games, Collinsworth appears to have a a good variety of situations to discuss (e.g. Williams poor production from last year, Romo being a better leader, "rabble rabble rabble...")

- Lots of injuries throughout the course of a game. When I got through playing LJ, his Bills were a walking infirmary

- Defensive assignments works great, no issues as of yet

- No FAIR PLAY online...BOOOO!

- Uploading clips to EA Sports World is much faster this time around

- Cowboys Stadium is so sexy, but EA fucked up the maximum capacity. It's 100K +, not 80K!

- The running game doesn't feel as bullish as the demo was. Barber was punking defenses, but not on the level he was in that Boys vs. Giants 1 min quarters demo.

- Kicking accuracy is harder. If you don't perfectly pull and push the analog stick, your kick will sail of the desired path

- Fight for fumble mini-game isn't so bad playing against another person. Against the CPU, it's a rigged gimmicky POS.

- Accelerated clocks are on by default in 5 min ranked games, makes games faster, so I'm not complaining.

- The 5.1 surround sound is fucking incredible. In the rear speakers you can hear a variety of funny comments from fans.

- On the flip side, the Madden 10 soundtrack sucks donkey dick this year. A bunch of out-of-place heavy metal tracks are on by default. Ughhh

Hope this wasn't too scatter-shot, but I'm enjoying myself a great deal. I can't wait to get going in Online Franchise with the rest of the fellas here!

Rorschach

GGs FMT. I just can't do anything right. Even supers are hard. Hell, I can't even rush without using the punch buttons. I need to practice on the controllers or just bite the bullet and get a stick!

How the hell do you manage?

Rorschach

FrenchMovieTheme said:
gg's rors!

i can tell when you're having trouble with the d-pad when you keep doing little jumps in the corner :lol
:lol :( Yes. I also can't dash with non-flight characters, so I take little jumps towards you!

The whole time I was in the air dashing around with Doom, I was actually trying to super.

At least I won with Dan on my team! You the man, Dan!

Somnia

Just want to give a way heads up that I'll be gone from Aug. 30th to Sept. 3rd. It's our manager conference out in Vegas those days. Hopefully we don't start the league in those days (if we wait that long) :D

Just got through playing a marathon session of online matchups. I think this year's netcode is the best we've ever got. In 12 games, I had a lag free gameplay experience most of the time!

Ended up getting to #1 on the meaningless leaderboard. It's the first time I've ever been at the top of one of these things, so I took a picture to commemorate the moment! :lol

photo-2.jpg

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Wait so retail stores willing to break the date got it already? Time to make some calls. Damn, a whole week early.

On another note, my schedule just got a little retarded thanks to my house. I am going to have to pick up another job so I will be working nights and weekends along with my 6:30AM - 6PM regular job. I will post what my schedule will actually be once the league starts but just be patient with me.

Rorschach

Damn. Can't go today. Something came up and tomorrow is out of the question too. Guess I'll have to wait with DM and the rest of the chumps. :(

This is what you call karma.

Wellington said:
Wait so retail stores willing to break the date got it already? Time to make some calls. Damn, a whole week early.

On another note, my schedule just got a little retarded thanks to my house. I am going to have to pick up another job so I will be working nights and weekends along with my 6:30AM - 6PM regular job. I will post what my schedule will actually be once the league starts but just be patient with me.

Nay...you gotta go to the hood to get it early.... just like FMT will later today!

LJ11

I can't say I had the same experience with regards to lag as Shawn, our game was great, but against a few others the game would lag when I was kicking a FG or EP. Think it was the framerate.

Played 6 games yesterday, 2 against the CPU and 4 against human opponents. In those 6 games, 4 kicksoffs were returned for TD's, one was against the CPU. If you block it right, your returner has a shot to go all the way. If you take your defenders out of their lanes, you risk giving one up. You also don't have to rely on pancake blocks, or blockers holding on to defenders very long, in the return or running game. Just a slight push, and your defenders off balance and stumbling which gives you enough time to hit the hole.

I'm missing the bumper buttons while engaged, which may be another the explanation for the return game, guys can't get off the blocks.

Only real complaint is the camera, wish they left in last years alt camera (Classic I think) in the game. Not a big fan of the default, zoom is worthless, and wide is too far back.

GG FMT.

Out game underscores the fact that we need to turn off the accelerated clocks for league play. The problem with them is the fact that even when you're down, it still does the runoff which is moranic when someone is trying to catch up. It should have a manual toggle in the play selection screen allowing a user to speed up the clocks when they want. As it is now, it's kind of busted...

yeah gg shawn, that was a lot of fun.

i've only played a game and a half but i'm loving it so far. inaccurate throws are excellent!

that pick you got was a product of my OLD madden self! i could have lofted the ball to the FB for an easy catch, but i tried the bullet and paid :(

also, no lag on my end! very nice.....

btw the final score was 24-21 for those that care, but shawn was mounting his comeback and i dont know if i would have stopped him again :(

gg's pheeniks and wellington.

against pheeniks we went to OT on a great throw from pennington to bess. that play illustrates a big difference this year which is you CAN fit the ball between multiple defenders at times if the distance is short enough and you have an accurate QB. bess found a spot in the zone (well he didn't "find" it, but he was there) and pennington BARELY got it in between a couple defenders in the area for the score. i missed 2 fg's in the game too. anything above 45 yards is tough :( i won in OT 13-10

against wellington i lost 20-14. i threw 2 INT's for td's.... wellington i swear on that first pick i did not see that guy. i was looking at morgan and it looked like he was coming off the bump so i was going to lead him left but your dude was there :( the 2nd pick i should have just taken the damn sack but it was a 4th down so i didn't want to concede the possession.

my D did ok but the motherfucking giants D line is a beast. i have gotten decent pressure now and again against ck, pheeniks, and wellington (just like the real life niners...) but the giants D line was on my balls all game. only 3 sacks but i got hit a bunch too.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Whats crazy is that I wasn't getting any pressure at all until that game with you I have yet to do anything worthwhile with Tuck because they basically took away anything I could do while engaged. I am going to have to get creative with blitz packages to free up Osi, which is what I started doing against you.

My offensive woes from last year continue. I am godawful.

Nightz

Got my copy of the game today (thanks Shawn!). Man the Chargers look sexy in powder blues! The in-game Norv doesn't look much like the real life Norv, but they sure got the crater face down. :lol

KaYotiX

Banned
if you got a spot im all for this!!! Packers for me if there not taken or w/e.

I want a league that wont quit on me after 3 weeks like most ive been in.

Nightz said:
Got my copy of the game today (thanks Shawn!). Man the Chargers look sexy in powder blues! The in-game Norv doesn't look much like the real life Norv, but they sure got the crater face down. :lol

No problem bro, glad to help you out!

I might have another copy available on 360 if Smokey happened to find a copy in Houston today. I picked one up for him this afternoon just in case.

KaYotiX

Banned
Damn you guys and getting it early......San Antonio,TX here and cant find anything. Guess i actually gotta wait this year LOL!!!

Wellington said:
Whats crazy is that I wasn't getting any pressure at all until that game with you I have yet to do anything worthwhile with Tuck because they basically took away anything I could do while engaged. I am going to have to get creative with blitz packages to free up Osi, which is what I started doing against you.

My offensive woes from last year continue. I am godawful.

ck are you using the right stick? be sure NOT to turbo while you're doing the moves. i found the most effective way to play d-line is to simply use the right stick to get off the block, THEN turbo to the qb. i don't play D-line often, but the few times i've done it i have gotten good results (with a shitty niners line, so you should beast with it!)

AirBrian

Shawnwhann said:
My impressions from retail Madden 10 taken from the official main thread in Gaming Discussion:
The capacity for Cowboys Stadium is 80K. It's 100K-110K if you include the standing party-deck tickets.

AirBrian said:
The capacity for Cowboys Stadium is 80K. It's 100K-110K if you include the standing party-deck tickets.

In Madden 10, the party decks are represented and populated...sooo it should be 100K+ ;)

Striker

FMT,

I saw your impressions in the Madden thread, and you mentioned something about 5 min quarters and the acc clock.

Have you and your Commish friends decided what settings we're going to roll with?

Striker said:
FMT,

I saw your impressions in the Madden thread, and you mentioned something about 5 min quarters and the acc clock.

Have you and your Commish friends decided what settings we're going to roll with?

not yet, i'm playing around with the settings. we COULD do the normal 6 minute quarters without, or a higher time limit WITH accelerated clock.

i tested 10 minute quarters with accelerated clock (20 seconds) and i got about 50 plays per team.... which is a bit low but definitely manageable. i'll do a poll once everyone has the game so we can see what works out for everyone. i don't want people having to take 2 hours to play a game, but i also want the stats to be realistic as well so we need to get an accurate number of plays in

Striker

FrenchMovieTheme said:
not yet, i'm playing around with the settings. we COULD do the normal 6 minute quarters without, or a higher time limit WITH accelerated clock.

i tested 10 minute quarters with accelerated clock (20 seconds) and i got about 50 plays per team.... which is a bit low but definitely manageable. i'll do a poll once everyone has the game so we can see what works out for everyone. i don't want people having to take 2 hours to play a game, but i also want the stats to be realistic as well so we need to get an accurate number of plays in
I have no problem with real time being an hour plus twenty or so minutes, or whatever. I want enough plays to warrant a real NFL game. Enough that we can run 15-20 times, but also pass as many. So on.

At least we have a shit load of time to find our best solution.

Top Bottom