• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden 2005 Thread

Yeah, Tommy was an 86 when I traded him. The three years I kept him as backup, he only lost like 1 point overall I think. That's why I kept him, I figured he was a much better guy to have in emergencies than some ungroomed rookie or higher priced FA. But I needed the cap room at the start of this season, and he was the most logical choice to dump.

In a move of sacrilge last season, I picked up Lee Suggs after the Browns didn't resign him. I find him to be awesome so I dumped Staley. I dumped Bettis after the first season. I got Suggs to the pro bowl in my third season but, as luck would have it, he breaks an ankle to start this season and is out for 8 weeks. So now I'm pushing through with Dante Brown.

Ristamar

Spectral Glider said:
In a move of sacrilge last season, I picked up Lee Suggs after the Browns didn't resign him. I find him to be awesome so I dumped Staley. I dumped Bettis after the first season. I got Suggs to the pro bowl in my third season but, as luck would have it, he breaks an ankle to start this season and is out for 8 weeks. So now I'm pushing through with Dante Brown.

Lee Suggs, eh? Heh. Well, at least now I don't feel so bad about my Terrell Suggs aquisition. I also dumped Bettis after season 1, though it wasn't so much a dump as it was him fuming out the door. Apparently he didn't like his backup job. I still have the aging Staley, but this is his last season starting. The fledgling backup will likely overtake him in talent around mid-season, though Staley will remain the in the #1 spot through 2007. He's having a good year.

Other notables that have been lost to free agency or trades: Deshea Townsend, Mike Logan, Kimo von Oelhoffen, and Ike Taylor.

Ristamar said:
Other notables that have been lost to free agency or trades: Deshea Townsend, Mike Logan, Kimo von Oelhoffen, and Ike Taylor.

Same here, except for Ike Taylor. I just made him a starter along with Colclough. I still have Chad Scott, but I demoted him to third on the roster this season. Taylor did get fairly abused the last game I played, so I may be bumping Scott back up.

Ristamar

Colclough fucking rules. He developed very fast for me, and he set a record 17 picks on the season last year (or was it the year before?) Scott is still my #1, but again, it's probably his last year in that spot. They're both 92 OVR, I believe.

Really? That's cool, I debated throwing him in as a starter much earlier but I didn't do it. He did have a pick in his first game as a starter for me, so perhaps it's a good sign. I'm only 3 games into this season, so I'll see how it goes.

Bowser

I just finished my first season (freaky shit too, I beat the 14-2 Patriots with the Panthers O_O granted I was 16-0, not 11-5 :p). I added a whole bunch of shit to the stadium (massaging seats, super screen, cup holders) and I resigned Kris Jenkins, Mike Rucker, Jake Delhomme, Stephen Davis, and Jesse Armstead, and signed my top 4-5 draft picks. Unfortunately, I was trying to get through the offseason real quick, and He Hate Me is longer on my team :( I was pissed at that. I keep trying to get a top tier back (tried to get LaDainian Tomlinson, Clinton Portis, Shaun Alexander, etc), but no one would bite for Stephen Davis/1st rounder/2nd rounder :p Also, in my haste to sign my franchise players (after my first season, a whopping 8 players became NFL icons :/), I accidently went over the cap :eek: What happens now?

Ristamar

Grrr... this game still has some cheap ass typical fucking EA cheater AI. Plenty of teams get more yards on me in the latter half of the 4th quarter than the rest of the game with their bullshit nigh unstoppable hurry up offense. FUCK.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Ristamar said:
Grrr... this game still has some cheap ass typical fucking EA cheater AI. Plenty of teams get more yards on me in the latter half of the 4th quarter than the rest of the game with their bullshit nigh unstoppable hurry up offense. FUCK.

Well...the same thing happens in real life as well. I didn't really notice until I was watching a game on TV and they went into the hurry up and everything seemed to click when earlier nothing was. But the likelyhood of a turnover or penalty should be increased as well.

I've got all 90s for my four WRs, Jerry Porter, this year's speedster rookie Carlos Francis (95 spd), Larry Fitzgerald (whose morale was red when I picked him up in free agency), and my draft pick. Porter is almost on his way out (age: 35) so I have fitz and my draft pick Andrew Johnson as cornerstones.

I'm in preseason, and the position battles are hot. 3 WR positions, corners battles, TE, the works. My OL is solid, and my FB is a blocking machine. People are just getting destroyed by my team, hehe...

As for veteran trades, there aren't many guys who are 96 in the late 20s... Sometimes it's just matching up their needs at that position as well, I was able to get a better deal from a team with no OLBs. Now that's rightfully smart.

Ristamar: when your WR/CB starts playing, instantly, awareness goes up. It's just when they start scoring tackles is when he stats improve a bit. Make sure he's on your kickoff and punt return teams, you can score a lot of tackles that way. Or throw him as a nickelback in nickel strong formation (you can do this by substitutions) and get him sacks.

As for coaches, in a strange twist of fate, Rich Gannon is my offensive coordinator, while Kerry Collins is still my starting QB, haha. And I'll promote him once the contract on my current coach runs out... Perhaps then Collins will be available and he can be OC.

Ristamar

WasabiKing said:
Ristamar: when your WR/CB starts playing, instantly, awareness goes up. It's just when they start scoring tackles is when he stats improve a bit. Make sure he's on your kickoff and punt return teams, you can score a lot of tackles that way. Or throw him as a nickelback in nickel strong formation (you can do this by substitutions) and get him sacks.

Yeah, I noticed that. I purposely kick the ball toward the side of my rookie corners on special teams so they can get more tackles.

Update on team morale: It's week 14. Recovery has been slow, but some players are finally coming back around. Not surprisingly, those having stellar seaons are generally happier, yet there are still quite a few sour apples. The next game is against the Ravens, still led by my former QB, and he has been leading them through a great season. Should be an interesting game...

I finally started to use a scrambling QB, and even though he doesn't have Michael Vick speed, it's a lot harder to scramble scramble scramble all over the place. This is nice...

I love position battles, but they really need to come up with a better set of metrics to decide who wins or loses the position. They need to factor in playing time, cause I'm not going to lose any of my guys due to injury. The kind folks at Tiburon need to add hurries and knockdowns along with sacks and deflections as a factor for DL.

Meier

Lol I am cheating Madden franchise mode so bad. Dunno why I didnt think to do this earlier... my defensive players get so good, that I cant re-sign them once their contract from being a rookie is up, so I just changed a bunch of them to offensive positions so their ratings would plummet, released them and then re-signed them at a fraction of their value and then switched their position back to the correct one.

As far as scrambling QB's go... I have one who is a 91 in speed (a white guy no less) and I always use him over my 99 rated pocket QB with 69 in speed (which is not that bad as is). The flexibility of being able to scramble for a first down almost at will is way too good to pass up.

Top Bottom