• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden 2005 Thread

Slo

Ramirez said:
Who does that?

And before you try to say me,my most used Defensive Formation is 3-3-5,I didn't know that was prevent D.

3-3-5 is definetly a form of prevent. After all, it's just a nickel formation with one of the down linemen subbed for a linebacker. That's 8 men in pass coverage, unless you blitz.

Ramirez

How in the unholy fuck is 3-3-5 prevent D?Dime and Quarter are prevent D,not something that has 3 LBs in it.

I'm still not sure Gun was even talking about me,but whatever.My point still stands,this game is extreme bullshit on the defensive side of the ball.

Ramirez said:
Why would you want to do that anyways?

Just to screw around, put him in there for scrambles or rushes like Mularky used to do lots of crazy shit, that's what I did in last year's game. Just to try different things. And this year I thought it'd be cool with the new practice option available, but I guess not.

Also, I notice the computer controlled teams without three QBs have the punter as third on the depth chart......previously if you took out a team's backup QBs during a game they would put in WRs and/or HBs. Now I guess it's just punters and kickers.

Slo said:
3-3-5 is definetly a form of prevent. After all, it's just a nickel formation with one of the down linemen subbed for a linebacker. That's 8 men in pass coverage, unless you blitz.

You can still treat it as an ugly 3-4 as I often do. Under 7 Slice sends in a blitzer while covering a out pattern for those bitches that use nothing but that play. It's a pretty generic formation, despite the look. Also a good play is to send in your nickel to catch people off guard. I love defensive adjustments at the line.

Again, no matter what is sent out, pretty much everything can be beat. And if you think you have a defense can stop any play, post it and I'll probably come back with three different types of plays that can beat it. The chess game just favors the defense if you only know 3 offensive plays in your playbook.

Bowser: please don't discuss ESPN anymore. I don't want to make you sit for two weeks or more either. After a month, I think we all know which game is better for them, and we should just leave it as is.

Bowser

WasabiKing said:
Bowser: please don't discuss ESPN anymore. I don't want to make you sit for two weeks or more either. After a month, I think we all know which game is better for them, and we should just leave it as is.

Oops, sorry. Won't do it again!

Ramirez

Well Wasabi since you seem to have everything figured out...you have any explanation for fuckin LBs being able to cover people like Randle El on go routes? -_-

Ramirez said:
Well Wasabi since you seem to have everything figured out...you have any explanation for fuckin LBs being able to cover people like Randle El on go routes? -_-

That happens when you run nickel and the offense calls a Trips Shotgun. It's easy to have that happen if you assume that 3-1-1 is really just a singleback call. By default, you can be put in a position mismatch, so if you notice it, flip the play on the audible.

If you're on offense, there's only a few LBs that I've ran into that can cover a slot, but since my slot on the Raiders is usually a 93 in speed, I let him loose, then throw over their right shoulder. I've burned Julian Peterson this way, who's one pretty good coverage LB. If you're not going to lead to your receivers, you're always going to run the risk of getting the pass deflected. The play that I will run are Cross Up and if an LB is covering my slot, 95% of the time he's getting burned. Getting past the SS is 50/50.

Its way too easy to choose a pass play, get the LBs and DBs to drop back, and then roll Vick out to the left for an easy 12 yard gain. I kinda feel like I'm cheating doing that - especially on 3rd and long situations.

Anyone have some slider suggestions to combat this?

Meier

The salary cap is killing me man.. even if I am well under it (say 15 million or so) one year, I'm like 25-30 over it the next year and forced to trade all my old stars for draft picks just to get something out of them. It hurts! :(

DMczaf

Meier said:
The salary cap is killing me man.. even if I am well under it (say 15 million or so) one year, I'm like 25-30 over it the next year and forced to trade all my old stars for draft picks just to get something out of them. It hurts! :(

Welcome to NFL management :lol

siamese dreamer:

boost CPU Intelligence (DB AI? i dont know what its called)
also reduce your pass blocking.

if you REALLY want to not cheat, go into the edit player mode and turn vicks speed way down. i hate to say it, but vick does this in real life too :( the only teams that seem to be able to stop it are teams that are flat out speedy (which vick will see this sunday:D) or teams who scheme him with a variety of QB Spy plays (buccaneers)

Slo

AAAAARRRRGH!

I just played some lamer who tried to run out the clock starting with 2 minutes left in the SECOND QUARTER. He got two turnovers right off the gun and went up on me 17-0 early, and immediately started to run out the clock. 4 minute quarters are really too short, that's only about 8 consecutive running plays to kill an entire quarter! Fucking EA....

But justice was served. I tied the game at 17 with 45 seconds left and had to kick off to him. So he was running the hurry up offense, OH TEH IRONY. Long story short, he kept on throwing the same 10 yard sideline patterns on his final drive, so I called a zone in the flats. Sure enough, he thru the same pattern and I picked it and took it back 70 yards for a TD on the final play of the game! :D

He ofcourse quit before the game was formally ended, but man that felt good.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
No leagues and no roster update. I am thinking the roster update should be here Monday or some time next week. I am sure EA wants to know how these players actually play in a real game before re-evaluating the players and starting positions.

Leagues on the other hand have been really a question mark. It currently is one of those: "EA SPORTS Premium Pass features will be rolled out throughout the NFL Season." So hopefully next week it will be up and running.

Miguel

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK!!!!

10 yards away from returning my first kick for a touchdown. SHIT!!!!

Aaron Glenn as my return man broke through, but some fast ass gunner came and ran my ass down. :( I tried to stiff arm, but Glenn's arm is right around everyone else's waist...so it didn't do much. HE SHOULD HAVE AIMED BELOW THE BELT! THAT'D HAVE WORKED! CUP CHECK!

Edit: SON OF A WHORE!!!! I subed in my speedback (Tony Hollings) to do a FB fake HB Toss....THE DOUCHE FUMBLES THE TOSS! ENDZONE BROWNS! ARGH!!!!

Brock Lesnar DT

Ovr: 69

Tak: 70
Spd: 65
Agi: 50
Awr: 48
Str: 90
Acc: 73

:lol

BTW, the roster is still incorrect, there's some guys in the free agent list that are already on other teams as of last week

Ramirez

Me and FMT had a sweet game earlier...it was 14-13 with 2 seconds left,he was on my 5 I think.Throws a pass,complete, then I hit stick him with Porter and he dropped it :D Ball game bitches! :p

Drey1082

Mrbob said:
It's Sept 13, where are the leagues?

From operationsports.com

Subject: Re: When do online league with premium pass start
posted on Sep 13, 2004 2:25am PST reply 27 of 31

Hello,

I really do apologize both for my delay in responding here and for our delay in getting the Premium Pass league play feature rolled out. The reason for the delay in league play IS because it is our goal to roll it out as close to perfect as we can. We would rather take a little bit more time and roll it out knowing that it works as intended then have you guys start your seasons before we realize there is a problem that needs to be fixed. At this time it is our plan to roll out the league play feature sometime this week. There is always the possibility that something could delay it further but as of today that is our plan. Again, I apologize for the delay, but please remain patient and I sincerely hope you will all find it worth the extra time. On a side-note, commissioners will have the option to turn fatigue on or off for league play. I know this is a question many of you have been having and a concern for many of you.

EARepHugo

dskillzhtown

Thanks for posting that Drey. While I wish it was ready now, I appreciate them getting the thing working correctly before releasing it to the masses.

Ramirez

Does anyone know who I would contact to ask them how I can link my Gamertag to my EA premium pass?

I emailed customer support but the dumbfuck just replied telling me how to create a GT,ugh.

It would be much appreciated :)

DMczaf

Greetings,

All of us here at EA sports sincerely apologize for the delay in getting the league play feature rolled out. Our goal is to ensure that once league play is rolled out it will be as close to free of errors as possible. Okay with that being said, league play is scheduled to begin this Wednesday, September 15th.

EARepHugo

w00t!

Ristamar

Minor annoyance w/ Franchise Mode -- Why does the CPU insist on promoting one of my coaches when the Head Coach's contract expires, especially when you don't even get a chance to resign the HC? I had to keep reloading until the their wasn't a promotion from within the organization, and I re-hired Cowher. Dick LeBeau was NOT going to run my squad. Damn frustrating.

Meier

It's probably been said in the thread but I complained about it in the past and it still haunts me... I need suggestions on how to run the ball successfully. No matter how good my RB is, I pretty much never pick up more than a yard or two even with an O-Line full of guys in the 90s. I can run with ease with my scrambling QB for 150-200 yards a game, but I simply cannot move the ball with my Halfback. Any h elp would be appreciated... (this is coming from someone who has only bought Madden for the first time since Madden 64)

Why does the CPU insist on promoting one of my coaches when the Head Coach's contract expires, especially when you don't even get a chance to resign the HC?

This happened to me a few times in Madden 2004 as well. I haven't seen it yet in 2005 but the only way I got around it last year was to keep reloading, which you already know to do.

Meier, I feel your pain with running the ball. On All-Pro it seems like the defense always gets penetration the moment the ball is snapped. My solution against the CPU has been to use Goalline formation when I need to pound the ball. I usually line up with Sting or HB Smash and send either the tight-end or the extra tackle in motion to plug any gap I can see in the offensive front and then snap the ball just as he gets into place. It's kind of cheesy but I think EA did a poor job balancing the running game this year (when I can throw the ball and get 300+ yards a game through the air how come I can't keep the defense honest with a decent ground game?) After some practice you can gain 8-10 yards every few times and if the blocking falls into place you can break into the second level for a huge gain.

Ristamar

Meier said:
It's probably been said in the thread but I complained about it in the past and it still haunts me... I need suggestions on how to run the ball successfully. No matter how good my RB is, I pretty much never pick up more than a yard or two even with an O-Line full of guys in the 90s. I can run with ease with my scrambling QB for 150-200 yards a game, but I simply cannot move the ball with my Halfback. Any h elp would be appreciated... (this is coming from someone who has only bought Madden for the first time since Madden 64)

Speed kills. Good acceleration can help you get out of the back field in a hurry and good agility helps with sharp cuts without much loss of speed. With that in mind, you may have to wait a split second for blocks to develop before busting through, or else you'll be stuffed from the start. Fast backs also work well with sweeps and counters since they can often beat defenders to the outside and turn the corner upfield for a substantial gain. With stronger backs that can break tackles, the 'cover' button works wonders for plowing head-on through defenders (great for running between the tackles) and then stiff arm any lateral aggressors. Slower backs often need a lead blocker against faster defenses if you're hoping for huge chunks of yardage, otherwise you'll often have to settle for a lot of 3-5 yard gains which is still effective. Try abusing the weaker side of their line or avoid a particulary aggressive linebacker by running to his opposite side. Use audibles, hot routes, and motion whenever possible to exploit their defense.

Miguel

I just started season 2 in madden
home opener is week 6
Week 1-4 = road games
Week 5 = Open Date
week 11-16 = six straight home games

@ Colts
@ Jaguars
@ Ravens
@ Niners

Open Date
vs Rams = Home Opener
@ Steelers
@ Dolphins
vs Browns
@ Seahawks
vs Bengals
vs Colts
vs Titans
vs Chargers
vs Jaguars
vs Cardinals

@ Titans

weak, I'm on season 5 already... ready to play the Super Bowl. I've got a CB who runs 4.25, haha. So yeah, he's racked up 9 sacks, too bad he got injured for 4 weeks or else he would have done so much better. I love the draft stages more than ever...

Only thing is, it's easy to swap 1st round picks during the season. There should be a challenge, cause you can always swap top picks by week 6.

I'm on season 5 with my Giants franchise as well, trying to make it 5 for 5 in Super Bowls. I've had some great SB matchups so far, the Colts(Manning vs. Manning!), the Chiefs twice in a row, the Ravens(got to avenge Super Bowl XXXV with a 35-0 win), and now I've got to beat Philp Rivers and the Chargers.

Only thing is, it's easy to swap 1st round picks during the season. There should be a challenge, cause you can always swap top picks by week 6.

I discovered this in the second year of my franchise. For some reason even an 0-4 or 0-5 team considers their #1 pick to be worth a C+ while while valuing my 1st rounder a B+. I don't remember that exploit being in Madden 2004.

KilledByBill said:
I discovered this in the second year of my franchise. For some reason even an 0-4 or 0-5 team considers their #1 pick to be worth a C+ while while valuing my 1st rounder a B+. I don't remember that exploit being in Madden 2004.

Nope, it happened in 2004, too... There needs to be some flexibility in trades as well. I've got a 96 OVR LB I want to trade, and he's valued an F for a 1st round draft pick? insanity! And it doesn't matter what kind of contract, or the other team's salary cap. It's kinda hard to dump off star players in favor of your youth. It's nice to be able to trade holdouts too!

I haven't lost a franchise game yet, so it's been all perfect. I may throw a season on purpose in order to see how the team reacts, haha. Built the Raiders a new stadium, and made the money back in 3 years. Also, why aren't owners making money off preseason games? They should make it realistic by making attendance 33% or something, and the team can take in some money. I'd like to see some more options in owner mode/box as well.

Ristamar

WasabiKing said:
weak, I'm on season 5 already... ready to play the Super Bowl. I've got a CB who runs 4.25, haha. So yeah, he's racked up 9 sacks, too bad he got injured for 4 weeks or else he would have done so much better. I love the draft stages more than ever...

I drafted a 6'7" receiver with a 97 speed and 90+ acceleration and moved him to corner (I already have too many speedy, quality wide outs). He went from a 63 OVR to a 72 OVR after the position change, then to 74 OVR after Training Camp. I can't wait to see how he progresses. If I ever need a WR in the distant future, I may move him back to his original postion.

I agree about the draft pick swapping. The CPU can be rather stupid at times.

WasabiKing said:
Nope, it happened in 2004, too... There needs to be some flexibility in trades as well. I've got a 96 OVR LB I want to trade, and he's valued an F for a 1st round draft pick? insanity! And it doesn't matter what kind of contract, or the other team's salary cap. It's kinda hard to dump off star players in favor of your youth. It's nice to be able to trade holdouts too!

How old is the LB and how much is he paid? And does the target team already have good LBs? Age, salary, and team need all notably come into play when determining trade value. I've noticed it's often difficult to offload high priced, aging veterans. I was pleased to see the CPU isn't so easily suckered into taking overpaid vets, especially those on the downturn of their careers.

Ramirez

Dear EA,please take out the fucking fake blitz/stack the line next year,it is the most worthless cheesy thing I have ever seen in this game.Oh and tone Vick down please,he's amazing,but god damn. -_-

Slo

I haven't found the fake blitz to be all that useful for anything other then a psychological tool. It doesn't seem to help me stop the run in the least and bringing my safeties up to the line leaves me vulnerable to deep sideline route.

What don't you like about it?

Ristamar

Yeah, I've gotten burned by faking the blitz. If a speedy back busts through the line and gets into the secondary, you might as well just put the controller down.

Ramirez

Maybe its not that bad every once in a while,but when you play some fucker who uses it every play,he obviously knows some kind of advantage with it.

Dude I played yesterday,I used the Panthers and couldn't run or pass for shit.Add that to the fact that he rolled out with Vick and would pass those sidline routes all day and it seems to be impossible to stop,its crazy.

Ristamar

I'm in the early 2007 season, and 2006 NFL MVP and Icon Tommy Maddox (after leading the Steelers to a Super Bowl Victory in 2006) finally lost his starting job to Roethlisberger (who played a significant amount of time in 2006, I should add). Since Maddox is 35 at this point, getting paid far too much to be a backup, and is pissed to the max, I made a trade that sent him to the Ravens (blasphemy!) for 24 year old NFL Icon Terrell Suggs, backup QB Ken Dorsey, and a 4th round pick.

Getting to the point, I figured by adding a strong LOLB to Porter and Bell (both 99 OVR), my LB's would be absolutely dominant. Unfortunately, almost my whole team is FUCKING LIVID. Many of the starters morale has plunged below 50%. Randal El, who has been understandably bitchy all year from deferring to Burress and Ward, is about as low as possible in terms of morale. I expected some grumbling (from Porter and Bell mostly), but holy shit. I suppose I have to hope everyone cheers up when I go deep into the post season.

Unfortunately, almost my whole team is FUCKING LIVID. Many of the starters moral has plunged below 50%.

That nuts, I wouldn't have expected that kind of a backlash either. Luckily I haven't had any real morale problems with my Giants franchise but I may have some trouble ahead.

Eli Manning's contract ends after I play the Super Bowl in franchise year 7 and I'll probably be trading him in the offseason since he'll want a ton of money(he's 99 overall) and I've got his backup/successor up to 97 overall and he has 79 speed and is 3 years younger. After this offseason I may only have 6 or 7 original Giants on the roster and half of them are O-linemen.

dskillzhtown

Ristamar said:
I'm in the early 2007 season, and 2006 NFL MVP and Icon Tommy Maddox (after leading the Steelers to a Super Bowl Victory in 2006) finally lost his starting job to Roethlisberger (who played a significant amount of time in 2006, I should add). Since Maddox is 35 at this point, getting paid far too much to be a backup, and is pissed to the max, I made a trade that sent him to the Ravens (blasphemy!) for 24 year old NFL Icon Terrell Suggs, backup QB Ken Dorsey, and a 4th round pick.

Getting to the point, I figured by adding a strong LOLB to Porter and Bell (both 99 OVR), my LB's would be absolutely dominant. Unfortunately, almost my whole team is FUCKING LIVID. Many of the starters moral has plunged below 50%. Randal El, who has been understandably bitchy all year from deferring to Burress and Ward, is about as low as possible in terms of moral. I expected some grumbling (from Porter and Bell mostly), but holy shit. I suppose I have to hope everyone cheers up when I go deep into the post season.

WOW, I wonder if it will affect them on the field.

Ristamar

dskillzhtown said:
WOW, I wonder if it will affect them on the field.

I played one game since "la revolution" and it didn't seem to adversely influence the team's performance, though it wasn't quite the 98-0 stomping I gave the Cleveland Clowns the previous game (CLE is REALLY bad right now). Technically, it's been 2 games, but the Cleveland game was played immediately after the trade. I don't believe you can eyeball the full effect on morale until the following week. It may not matter in the end anyway, since I'm skirting the edge of the salary cap, and I have some big contracts to sign at the end of the year. Freeing up cap room was part of the reason I dumped Maddox.

An interesting, yet unrelated tidbit: Jeff Garcia (who retired in my franchise) is available as a coach. I thought that was pretty cool. I think there were some other players vying for coaching jobs, as well, but he was the most recognizable name.

I made Big Ben the starter in week 1, season 1. Maddox got pissed, but I kept him as backup for all of the following three consecitive Super Bowl wins. I would laugh when I'd throw him in the 4th quarter to do mop up. The rest of the team has stayed high, real high. I still have Ward as my #1 (99 overall), Burress #2 (93 overall) and Randle El as #3 (91 overall) and none of them have complained. Probably because I've thrown for almost 4,000 yards every season with two of the three making the pro bowl each time. I'm at the start of my fourth season now and I traded Tommy (age 35) to the Cardinals for their 3rd, 4th and 5th round, number 1 picks. However, Tommy just had a 400 yard game throwing to Fitzgerald and Boldin, so I assume he's happy now.

Ristamar

Maddox was decent (96 OVR just before the trade), so I kept him on as long as possible. He threw for over 4000 yards and 40 TDs in 2006. Ben (97 OVR) was just too good to be ignored this season, holding both talent and the youth over the aging veteran.

Ward is a 95 for me, Burress and Randal El are both at 93. I also have two receivers I'm grooming for the future (Rock Powell [95 SPD, 98 ACC] and Champ Vandiver [97 SPD, 95 ACC]). The former was named Offensive RoTY in 2006.

Top Bottom