• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official March 2008 NPD - There are no words. Almost $1B in SW sales

opinions

wii hardware sales are phenomenal and that nintendo for growing the market but those thinking this will bring on some new nintendo rules world :lol Software STILL isnt selling unless it says nintendo on the box (with few exeptions like guitar hero). This helps no one but nintendo and because of the disparity between ps360 and wii, no matter how well the hardware sells and because 3rd party games just dont move you'll ALWAYS see the big hitters on ps360.

360 sales suck. I dont care if they beat sony. They should have lost. Yes they have all the greatest games but the price of the box is a horrible value compared to the ps3. Drop the damn price already. If they drop along with GTA4 it'll make this month look tame BUT THEY PROBABLY WONT. asleep at the wheel it seems.

ps3 :lol WTF happened? BR was supposed to make up for the slack of not having the same level of software quality 360 has. Its a shame because the ps3 at $399 is the best value in the business right now. Seems no one cares about HD movies and with every single one i rent i tend to agree. An upscaled DVD on a 120hz TV makes the cost of buying a BR disc seem like a rip off. I dont know how sony can fix this. Nintendo has well nintendo, MS has a price drop and sony has....??? stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Great growth for the industry all around tho. everyone seems to have their own niche. ps360 and gta4 really need to stop this wii train tho. I have my wii too but i havent picked up a game since galaxy. I just dont understand. You may bash when people ask why but seriously...WHY? there really is no reason for its sales. maybe its the 249 price and the economy. i dunno but it makes no sense.

jedimike said:
Publishers have to consider the "Nintendo" factor. The best selling software is still Nintendo software. On the whole, 3rd parties are better off catering to the 360 and secondly, to the PS3.

well if nintendo sells say 60% of games on the wii there is till gonna come a time when 40% of wii game sales is better than 100% of ps360 game sales

*yeah made up numbers i know but you get the point

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
bigmakstudios said:
That's funny... I've had much more fun with my 360, and I find Wii Sports, Wii's killer app, to be detestable.

A lot of people, most people, find the games you probably like just as detestable.

We were never going to make gaming accepted in the path we were going, so it's ironic that gamers find Wii Fit a threat to gaming, considering that it will lift up its reputation tremendously. And it might just as well be beneficial to all kinds of games, including the ones you like so much.

schuelma said:
I basically agree. Software sales are good enough on the 360/PS3 that there is no need to cancel big budget games and put them on the Wii.

I do think that Wii will get more A- downgraded versions like what you said and B- more offbeat, experimental but still quality offerings in an attempt to get a portion of that big huge Wii userbase. In short, I don't expect many Wii exclusive Tom Clancy games..but I can see more stuff like De Blob and Boom Blox.

Of course, for Japanese developers I do think Wii will continue to get better support.

Well, more or less the same situation of DS.

Fully Japanese support not so much Western support.

Banned
Software Top 10 totals.

Wii 3,373,900
360 1,832,500
PS3 224,900

Of course 11-50 may show the PS3 in a better light but it is looking bad in the Top 10.

Tron 2.0

schuelma said:
I basically agree. Software sales are good enough on the 360/PS3 that there is no need to cancel big budget games and put them on the Wii.

I do think that Wii will get more A- downgraded versions like what you said and B- more offbeat, experimental but still quality offerings in an attempt to get a portion of that big huge Wii userbase. In short, I don't expect many Wii exclusive Tom Clancy games..but I can see more stuff like De Blob and Boom Blox.

Of course, for Japanese developers I do think Wii will continue to get better support.
I basically agree with this.

However, even for Japanese developers there isn't a huge impetus to put their big budget games on the Wii. As gaming becomes more global, they can count of America/Europe to pick up the slack.

Not to say that the Wii won't get exclusive games, but I don't think they'll come in droves. The spread between the 360 and PS3 is usually enough.

Arde5643

jedimike said:
Publishers have to consider the "Nintendo" factor. The best selling software is still Nintendo software. On the whole, 3rd parties are better off catering to the 360 and secondly, to the PS3.
Holy hell, not this again...

Oh god, do people really believe this stupid "Nintendo factor" thing?

Is there ever an "Epic factor", "Bioware factor", "Origins factor", "Capcom factor"? WTH??

Are people stupid enough to believe the whole "Nintendo factor" crap?

:(

DCharlie said:
personally, i wouldn't put any money.

There is a bit of a gap between companies realising "shit we might have underestimated the Wii" to organising projects and getting the products out.

Answer me this why would companies skip making games for the 360 over Wii? Look at the sales chart this month, do you think a game like RS6 Vegas 2, or Army of Two would sell that good on the Wii if they were exclusive to the system?

quest

Not Banned from OT
The Wii numbers are insane and to think they could of sold even more if they could supply them. Great software sales for the 360 as usual. I can't believe the PS3 did not outsell the 360 at current pricing levels. With only a 50 dollar price difference I don't see anyone buying a 360 over a PS3. I did my part for the april NPD for sony 2 PS3s but no games needed 2 blu ray players. I did rent uncharted very awesome game.

cakefoo

Karma said:
Software Top 10 totals.

Wii 3,373,900
360 1,832,500
PS3 224,900

Of course 11-50 may show the PS3 in a better light but it is looking bad in the Top 10.
Wow, a 9:1 advantage for 360!

Yeah, pretty poor decision to post Top 10 numbers like that.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Not the Wii 3rd party games don't sell debate again :(

And I love how Guitar Hero suddenly doesn't count :lol :lol

No6

schuelma said:

Bingo. Sony should be thanking MS on both knees for that extra year prior to Wii showing up, because it let a bunch of western loss-leaders get made. And unless PS3 sales really, really turn around (or the Japanese market somehow completely shifts to allow western games to have serious penetration), I seriously doubt we'll see any big western 3rd party exclusives on the PS3 in 2009.

joesmokey

Holy shit at the Wii and DS numbers! 712k and 698k in MARCH!

#10 spot selling above 200k is also amazing. I still can't believe the Wii numbers, holy hell.

Arde5643 said:
The best example of how Wii audience has some of the most gullible owners ripe for the plucking is almost all of Sega's multiplatform games in the Wii.

They're so horrible in both graphics and gameplay and yet they sell as well or perhaps more than the HD versions.

It's crazy that these new casual Wii owners are quite gullible (because they're such new gamers) that they will allow developers like Sega and Harmonix to screw em at the bum.

They'll learn like any gamer does, become bitter, and start posting at Gaf about how much Sonic sucks.

mysticstylez said:
Wii can sell as many consoles as it wants, but until major 3rd party companies start making games for Wii first and other consoles next their sales won't mean shit. Sure Nintendo is making a shitload of money but their sales aren't taking away any key games from 360 or PS3 any time soon.

Yeah, except that doesn't fucking matter when they can sell 700,000 units in March.

Kuramu

One last time

duhlines.gif

jedimike

frankie_baby said:
well if nintendo sells say 60% of games on the wii there is till gonna come a time when 40% of wii game sales is better than 100% of ps360 game sales

*yeah made up numbers i know but you get the point

Your numbers are borked, but I understand the message. However, that point will never exist. Nintendo could have 100M consoles selling ass tons of WiiWhatever and GTAV will still sell better on the 360 and PS3, even if they are only at 20M.

The demographic is just too different from 360/PS3.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Karma said:
Software Top 10 totals.

Wii 3,373,900
360 1,832,500
PS3 224,900

Of course this is a ridiculous way to analyze the data, but xbots do it every month. If you want to know how things are selling, take all the game sales and normalize by the install base.

FrankT

Karma said:
Software Top 10 totals.

Wii 3,373,900
360 1,832,500
PS3 224,900

The clear difference is here, and as mentioned before I'm not sure if Sony can ever change this dynamic during this gen's cycle. If it happens it will be a long, long time from now.

I think the most amazing thing about the numbers is the lack of DMC4. Both DMC4 and Burnout Paradise absolutely bombed, more or less. I think this speaks volumes about established last-gen multi-platforms that are made out to be PS3 lead titles and how little they fare. It will be interesting to contrast those two games with something like GTA4, which is being made out to be a 360 lead.

Frillen

Karma said:
Software Top 10 totals.

Wii 3,373,900
360 1,832,500
PS3 224,900

There are games outside of the top 10??

Chiggs

Gold Member
MobiusPigeon said:
You may bash when people ask why but seriously...WHY? there really is no reason for its sales. maybe its the 249 price and the economy. i dunno but it makes no sense.

I think it's due really to just how "different" the machine is. Call it a gimmick if you like, but I'd say the masses feel otherwise.

That said, I do have a couple of friends that purchased a Wii, only to wonder what games are worth buying other than Galaxy, Twilight Princess and Brawl. Thing is, those games are such huge attractions that people don't really think about it until after the fact. Hats off to Nintendo, their franchises are storied and beloved.

andthebeatgoeson

HokieJoe said:
All other markets have been, and still are more expensive. The 360 and PS3's sales won't trend impressively until the price hits ~ $299 or less for the Pro and 40Gig models IMO.

And don't talk about the price difference between the Core and the Wii. Few consider it an honest alternative to the Pro or a PS3. It probably won't register until it hits ~$199 or less.
One could argue that since MS and Sony reset the launch price, even a mass market price won't trigger huge sales, unless they do it quickly. If MS and Sony can drop the price, why can't Nintendo? They'll always have the price advantage. I think sales have been inadequately linked to price on this board. What about the GCN? We haven't had too many generations where there was such a large price differential. Now that the PS3 is still higher in price but selling on par (not cumulative but month in and month out), we should start to move away from the idea that the market is so price dependent. If the PS3 hits $299, Nintendo will still have the games and the ability to hit $199.

But, the point remains: Sony and MS are fighting over a smaller market, compared to the PS2 LTD share. Where are those people going? Wii, it seems to be. It's reinforce by how Wii's software numbers are rising. Same people who pushed the PS2 into the stratosphere (casuals) are pushing the Wii. They are buying different types of games but casuals are not picky.

MisterHero

Arde5643 said:
Holy hell, not this again...

Oh god, do people really believe this stupid "Nintendo factor" thing?

Is there ever an "Epic factor", "Bioware factor", "Origins factor", "Capcom factor"? WTH??

Are people stupid enough to believe the whole "Nintendo factor" crap?

:(
Did you just ask this question in a thread summarizing the release of Super Smash Bros. Brawl?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Last year at this time, the PS3 was losing to the GBA and nowhere close to 200k. I think Sony can't be too disappointed with over 250K sales.

Son of Godzilla said:
I think the most amazing thing about the numbers is the lack of DMC4. Both DMC4 and Burnout Paradise absolutely bombed, more or less. I think this speaks volumes about established last-gen multi-platforms that are made out to be PS3 lead titles and how little they fare. It will be interesting to contrast those two games with something like GTA4, which is being made out to be a 360 lead.

la35bac0d380119b5b663cdwp5.gif

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Answer me this why would companies skip making games for the 360 over Wii? Look at the sales chart this month, do you think a game like RS6 Vegas 2, or Army of Two would sell that good on the Wii if they were exclusive to the system?

erm - who said anything about moving things in favour of the Wii from the X360 or any other system?

And i agree, Vegas2 or Ao2 would not work on the Wii. However, some existing franchises might work, or extra effort might be put into creating/resurrecting franchises on the Wii.

I believe the spend on development/no of games for the Wii from most big companies will go up signficantly across the board. And no, not at the expense of other systems.

Well, not at the expense of the X360 at least. not with the insane software gobbling US public where even Two Worlds can be a success.

at this point a visit to ps3forums is more than necessary

EDIT: just came back..people are putting their hopes on Haze :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

MobiusPigeon said:
if it was wii exclusive maybe.

there will be, take2 aint stupid enough not too, dont expect it to be announced until they've given gta4 enough time to rack up lots of millions of sales first

Karma said:
Software Top 10 totals.

Wii 3,373,900
360 1,832,500
PS3 224,900

Developers are more interested in the percentage of that Wii number that's first party stuff. I'm sure they're looking at the PS3 number as well, which is sad. I'd love to see the numbers for the top 50 software titles broken down by console

Top Bottom