• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official March 2008 NPD - There are no words. Almost $1B in SW sales

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
bigmakstudios said:
But the games I like are good. Wii Sports, Carnival Games, and the countless other shovelware titles that sell in truckloads for Wii are not.

1202966272247.png

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Yes on the PSP in Japan.

and the fact it's not going to , say, the PS3 in Japan means that the PS3 isn't going to get out of it's X360-sales-tastic 8400 a week (well, for this week at least)

MH3 to Wii was a -major- shift.
and not one i'm happy with to be honest, but hey.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Son of Godzilla said:
I think the most amazing thing about the numbers is the lack of DMC4. Both DMC4 and Burnout Paradise absolutely bombed, more or less. I think this speaks volumes about established last-gen multi-platforms that are made out to be PS3 lead titles and how little they fare. It will be interesting to contrast those two games with something like GTA4, which is being made out to be a 360 lead.

Coming from someone that only owns a 360: ?????

DMC was not multi-platform in the previous generation, and the people that propel GTA to the sales it is going to get do not know anything about the development cycle, they just know 360 costs less and they probably prefer Xbox live.

I will say I think the Burnout Paradise demo hurt the game, as much as the developer may like to mock people who didn't "get it." Those are the people who also didn't "buy it."

Has there ever been a multiplatform release with a wider margin between the two consoles than that?

Isn't the difference for Call of Duty 4 several million units?

NeoUltima

SIP YEK NOD said:
360 *TOM CLANCY'S RAINBOW SIX: VEGAS 2 UBISOFT Mar-08 752.3K

nearly 8:1? did the ps3 version come out late or something?
As I said earlier:For the most part, I would attribute the higher AR for R6V2 360 to the fact that the first game was out on 360 for a year longer than the ps3(ps3 got a little hyped port). Thus it had a much larger following.

However, PS3 version still sold waayyy worse than I imagined it would. I figured it would do about 200k, but 99k? wow. Either Simsexchange forgot the 1 before the 99, otherwise color me completely fucking surprised :lol .

How much does the average DS game need to sell to make profit? I can see a game like Ninja Gaiden DS selling 50-100k total and still making money off of it. It couldn't cost that much to make.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
JB1981 said:
man, reading through this thread is a grim reminder of just how much i fucking hate sales-age on this site.

Shooters are the best. Bless them. And America.

(I'm only kidding about one of the above).

Jtrizzy

Psychotext said:
It's off topic... but what's he doing in the original of that?

Brushing off the controversies of William Ayers, Jeremiah Wright, and the flag lapel thing.

I wonder how much tax season is effecting consumer willingness to spend $400 on a 360/PS3. It will be very interesting once people start getting their returns

HokieJoe

skinnyrattler said:
One could argue that since MS and Sony reset the launch price, even a mass market price won't trigger huge sales, unless they do it quickly. If MS and Sony can drop the price, why can't Nintendo? They'll always have the price advantage. I think sales have been inadequately linked to price on this board. What about the GCN? We haven't had too many generations where there was such a large price differential. Now that the PS3 is still higher in price but selling on par (not cumulative but month in and month out), we should start to move away from the idea that the market is so price dependent. If the PS3 hits $299, Nintendo will still have the games and the ability to hit $199.

But, the point remains: Sony and MS are fighting over a smaller market, compared to the PS2 LTD share. Where are those people going? Wii, it seems to be. It's reinforce by how Wii's software numbers are rising. Same people who pushed the PS2 into the stratosphere (casuals) are pushing the Wii. They are buying different types of games but casuals are not picky.

If you could buy a Honda Accord SE or a Ford Fiesta for roughly the same money, which one would you buy? :D

My point is, people get interested when they feel the price is reasonable for a given item. In part, we saw that reaction with the PS3 after they dropped the price to $399. Few people were willing to buy in at $499+. Some number more were willing to buy in at $399. The lifetime sales chart should look like a Bell curve with a nice acceleration towards the mean (maximum sales) at the moment the price reaches $299.

To be clear, I'm not saying the PS3 or 360 will catch the Wii in sales.

Firewire

Banned
SIP YEK NOD said:
360 *TOM CLANCY'S RAINBOW SIX: VEGAS 2 UBISOFT Mar-08 752.3K

nearly 8:1? did the ps3 version come out late or something?
PS3 owners only buy 1 stealth tactical shooter, and it comes out in June!

Iksenpets

Banned
Mooreberg said:
Isn't the difference for Call of Duty 4 several million units?

Yeah, but I meant in terms of the ratio. Call of Duty, as far as I know, pretty consistently sells at a ratio of about 2:1. 7.5:1 is ridiculous.

Frillen

mysticstylez said:
How much does the average DS game need to sell to make profit? I can see a game like Ninja Gaiden DS selling 50-100k total and still making money off of it. It couldn't cost that much to make.

Ninja Gaiden DS is doing fine. It has already sold over 10k in Japan, which is staggering.

VALIS

Brakara said:
Some more software numbers from The simExchange (sorry if already posted):

NR Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2 (PS3) 99,900
NR Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates 67,300
NR Bully: Scholarship Edition (Wii) 37,400
NR Hot Shots Golf (PS3) 36,200

http://www.thesimexchange.com/blogpost.php?post_id=486

Alright, I like to tease some of the rabid PS3 fans on here but that's just sad and unpleasant. R6V2 sold 8x as much on the 360? An established, semi-popular franchise like Hot Shots Golf sold 36K? 36K?!?! That's grim. Sony's video game brand is pretty damaged in North America right now.

VALIS said:
Alright, I like to tease some of the rabid PS3 fans on here but that's just sad and unpleasant. R6V2 sold 8x as much on the 360? An established, semi-popular franchise like Hot Shots Golf sold 36K? 36K?!?! That's grim. Sony's video game brand is pretty damaged in North America right now.

Didn't it come out later, though? A week or so? Or am I thinking of Condemned 2?

OH GOD WHERE'S CONDEMNED?!?

jakncoke

Banned
Plinko said:
:lol :lol :lol

1st week: 01./00. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (Capcom) - 880,468 / NEW
Now: 02./01. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (Capcom) - 222,000 / 1,590,000

Yeah, that's not a major title.

not saying it's not major or anything but isn't a fact that the console versions have performed far below the portable versions?

C4Lukins

VALIS said:

I was one of those 36,000. That number is pretty unbelievable to me.

Frillen

jasonbay said:
not saying it's not major or anything but isn't a fact that the console versions have performed far below the portable versions?

Correct, plus no one gives a shit about Monster Hunter outside of Japan.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
jasonbay said:

500k isnt small change and that was before MHP 2. MH2 was outpacing MHP before that

chespace

Firewire said:
PS3 owners only buy 1 stealth tactical shooter, and it comes out in June!

Wait for MGS4!

Or the Konami ID website!

Or the bittorrent of a patch of a beta that hasn't gone live yet! :p

JB1981

chespace said:
Shooters are the best. Bless them. And America.

(I'm only kidding about one of the above).

oh i love shooters, just hate the faux industry analysis .

and there goes che, trolling in full force. christ

Rlan

Interesting notes:

- Despite Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2 360 being the second best selling game of the month, the PS3 version didn't make the cut - yet Army of Two 360 and PS3 are both on the list.

- God of War 1 Release March 22nd, 2005 - 214,028 in first month (PS2 sells 495K)
- God of War 2 Release March 13th, 2007 - 833,000 in first month (PS2 sells 280K)
- God of War COO Release March 4th, 2008 - 340,500 in first month (PSP sells 297K)

- Final Fantasy VII - Dirge of Cerebus - August 15th, 2006 - 200,000 in first month
- Crisis Core - Final Fantasy VII - March 25th, 2008 - 301,600 in first month

- Wii + DS > Everything else combined

- Guitar Hero III Still in top 10 on Wii.

C4Lukins

NeoUltima said:
Wasn't into sales back in the day, but how much did HSG sell back on PS1 and PS2?

I thought they always sold pretty well, but I have no idea. I think it is just one of those games that requires a huge userbase to really get going.

Pachael

jordan0386 said:
This is getting out of hand.

Release the Megaton!!!, MS or Sony.

Restart this fight.

They are, but the only ones they'll take out is each other. Isn't there GTA4 for both consoles this month, then GT5P and MGS4 for the PS3, and GOW 2 for the 360 later in the year, much less things like Resistance 2, Killzone 2, Hazy, et al?

Rlan said:
Interesting notes:

- Despite Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2 360 being the second best selling game of the month, the PS3 version didn't make the cut - yet Army of Two 360 and PS3 are both on the list.

- God of War 1 Release March 22nd, 2005 - 214,028 in first month (PS2 sells 495K)
- God of War 2 Release March 13th, 2007 - 833,000 in first month (PS2 sells 280K)
- God of War COO Release March 4th, 2008 - 340,500 in first month (PSP sells 297K)

- Final Fantasy VII - Dirge of Cerebus - August 15th, 2006 - 200,000 in first month
- Crisis Core - Final Fantasy VII - March 25th, 2008 - 301,600 in first month

- Wii + DS > Everything else combined

- Guitar Hero III Still in top 10 on Wii.

- Condemned 2: Bloodshot got knocked the fuck out

chespace

JB1981 said:
oh i love shooters, just hate the faux industry analysis .

and there goes che, trolling in full force. christ

trolling who, a videogame genre? huh? Oh. MGS4. F that. I am pumped for the game like any red-blooded gamer. Just venting about the beta sign-up experience so far.

also, while the industry analysis here is uninformed, nobody is forcing you to read it.

Absinthe said:
With Mario Kart, Wii Fit, and increased production, the Wii will not and cannot slow down.

At this rate I think the Wii could literally come out with nothing and still sell at the same rate if not higher than the 360 for at least a year before the potential buyers took notice. Of course Smash Bros and other games certainly spice things up for them, but I'm not sure that this thing is selling based on future software or anything in particular right now. I just think that the combination of hype and a low price point have launched this thing into the air and that rocket isn't coming down until Nintendo is ready to try to repeat this thing again with a new home console.

Top Bottom