• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official March 2008 NPD - There are no words. Almost $1B in SW sales

Chiggs said:
I think it's due really to just how "different" the machine is. Call it a gimmick if you like, but I'd say the masses feel otherwise.

That said, I do have a couple of friends that purchased a Wii, only to wonder what games are worth buying other than Galaxy, Twilight Princess and Brawl. Thing is, those games are such huge attractions that people don't really think about it until after the fact. Hats off to Nintendo, their franchises are storied and beloved.

i guess ur right. i mean when you think about it the majority of ps2 users only bought a handful of games. this seems to be what wii has going for it but the difference is that handful includes nintendo titles almost exclusively. Again all that does tho is keep ps360 going. You'll never see a major 3rd party release on wii only.

truly101 said:
Last year at this time, the PS3 was losing to the GBA and nowhere close to 200k. I think Sony can't be too disappointed with over 250K sales.

So last year they had ludicrous sales, and now they should be happy with ridiculous sales with a 100$ price cut?....

Yeah of course....

jedimike

DeadGzuz said:
Of course this is a ridiculous way to analyze the data, but xbots do it every month. If you want to know how things are selling, take all the game sales and normalize by the install base.

Anyone have up-to-date tie-in ratios?

Frillen

Brakara said:
Some more software numbers from The simExchange (sorry if already posted):

NR Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2 (PS3) 99,900
NR Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates 67,300
NR Bully: Scholarship Edition (Wii) 37,400
NR Hot Shots Golf (PS3) 36,200

That's basically 4 bombs. Holy shiii at the Vegas 2 360 and Vegas 2 PS3 difference. Staggering!

gkryhewy

Arde5643 said:
The best example of how Wii audience has some of the most gullible owners ripe for the plucking is almost all of Sega's multiplatform games in the Wii.

They're so horrible in both graphics and gameplay and yet they sell as well or perhaps more than the HD versions.

It's crazy that these new casual Wii owners are quite gullible (because they're such new gamers) that they will allow developers like Sega and Harmonix to screw em at the bum.

A++++ great post would read again. "Screw them at the bum" - that's classic stuff; do you write professionally?

Nintendo wins...

NPD: Q1 2008

NDS 1,5M
WII 1,4M
PS2 832K
PS3 807K
PSP 770K
360 747K

NPD: Q1 2007

NDS 1,2M
WII 1M
PS2 874K
360 721K
PSP 566K
PS3 501K

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
MobiusPigeon said:
i guess ur right. i mean when you think about it the majority of ps2 users only bought a handful of games. this seems to be what wii has going for it but the difference is that handful includes nintendo titles almost exclusively. Again all that does tho is keep ps360 going. You'll never see a major 3rd party release on wii only.

Wait... Monster Hunter 3 jumping ship from PS3 to Wii isn't major anymore?

Chiggs

Gold Member
Anasui Kishibe said:
"as for the wii even if i was giving one for free, i'll never take it"

this is the tone of the answers, and it gets worse
maaaaannn looks like they're bbburrrrning

:lol :lol :lol

Holy shit, I'm heading over there right now.

frankie_baby said:
there will be, take2 aint stupid enough not too, dont expect it to be announced until they've given gta4 enough time to rack up lots of millions of sales first

highly doubt it. i dont think table tennis or bully lit up the charts on wii. port ps2 stories maybe.

RurouniZel said:

i dont think monster hunter is what anyone would call a MAJOR title. come on.

Banned
DeadGzuz said:
Of course this is a ridiculous way to analyze the data, but xbots do it every month. If you want to know how things are selling, take all the game sales and normalize by the install base.

Yes I am ridiculous and an xbot for adding up the software numbers we were given.

FrankT

Brakara said:

NR Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates 67,300
NR Bully: Scholarship Edition (Wii) 37,400
NR Hot Shots Golf (PS3) 36,200

Ouch

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Anasui Kishibe said:
at this point a visit to ps3forums is more than necessary

EDIT: just came back..people are putting their hopes on Haze :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Haze will change EVERYTHING

in my new sci-fi novel about global warming. Turns out our hero discovers that global warming was caused by a temporal rift in antartica caused by a time jumper that brought back the smash hit game Haze from the future in hopes of living like a king in our time

MobiusPigeon said:

And that is the reason that the Wii can sell almost half a million more consoles than the 360 in any given month, and still won't change what games are made for the 360.

Anasui Kishibe said:
at this point a visit to ps3forums is more than necessary

EDIT: just came back..people are putting their hopes on Haze :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

1zyeweh.gif

Sol.. said:
Haze will change EVERYTHING

in my new sci-fi novel about global warming. Turns out our hero discovers that global warming was caused by a temporal rift in antartica caused by a time jumper that brought back the smash hit game Haze from the future in hopes of living like a king in our time

Christ dude:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Brakara said:

360 *TOM CLANCY'S RAINBOW SIX: VEGAS 2 UBISOFT Mar-08 752.3K

nearly 8:1? did the ps3 version come out late or something?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
MobiusPigeon said:

Wow, I never realized that pretty much the only million seller on the PSP in Japan isn't major these days....

Whats wrong with DS software?

Ninja Gaiden bombing was kind of expected (sad, but expected), but Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates?....

That was surprising, how hard bombed....

jonabbey

DevelopmentArrested said:
"Hot Shots Golf (PS3) 36,200"

I'm one out of that. That's a fucking horrible number for Hot Shots.

Yeah, ditto. It didn't get any marketing to speak of that I saw, and it came out late in the month, but still.

No6

frankie_baby said:
there will be, take2 aint stupid enough not too, dont expect it to be announced until they've given gta4 enough time to rack up lots of millions of sales first
I could see one or many of the PS2/PSP GTAs getting ported to Wii, but Take2 is unlikely to dedicate the millions upon millions of dollars required to make a "real" GTA for the Wii when doing so cuts them off from three known GTA-popular markets (360, PS3, PC). Especially if, like you said, GTA4 sells millions as is.

Iksenpets

Banned
The 360 vesionof Vegas 2 outsold the PS3 version by a factor of more than 7.5? Has there ever been a multiplatform release with a wider margin between the two consoles than that?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
MobiusPigeon said:
highly doubt it. i dont think table tennis or bully lit up the charts on wii. port ps2 stories maybe.

:lol :lol :lol

1st week: 01./00. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (Capcom) - 880,468 / NEW
Now: 02./01. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (Capcom) - 222,000 / 1,590,000

Yeah, that's not a major title.

Pachael

All Hail Nintendo (if you're not doing that already).

But alas, for poor Euro console owners, we don't have Brawl yet ;p

The market has changed and I suggest that like some posters on the forum, some devs and pubs are still underestimating the Wii (and buying in the 3rd party no sales bait).

And software sales on the PS3? Chalk it up to pira- uhhh Blu-Ray! Yeah! Blu-Ray, king of kings! Who's laughing now, HD-DVD?

Of course R6:Vegas 2 AR is 7:1 360:pS3, so uh, AR rates don't mean too much in an argument (Army of Two buyers 'more savvy')

MisterHero

Relaxed Muscle said:

Ninja Gaiden bombing was kind of expected (sad, but expected), but Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates?....

I don't know, maybe Square fans feel they aren't getting 'the real deal' on the DS when PSP gets FFVII Crisis Core and Dissidia.

*shrugs*

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Relaxed Muscle said:

They kind of ruined that franchise with the first game.

MobiusPigeon said:

both were ports that probably cost next to nothing to make and have probably sold more than enough to make the money back, a new wii gta game would sell like hot cakes

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!

I've always had the thought that a lot of PS2 franchises sold because of the size of the userbase. I bought this game and I love it to death, but I think my original point stands as we see this happen with older franchises.

Sibylus

Banned
Anasui Kishibe said:
"as for the wii even if i was giving one for free, i'll never take it"

this basically the majority of the answers, and it gets much worse
maaaaannn looks like they're bbburrrrning
:lol

Denying free electronics must make you a member of thr uber-faithful, or something.

Screw that, free gamez!

Big-E

SIP YEK NOD said:
360 *TOM CLANCY'S RAINBOW SIX: VEGAS 2 UBISOFT Mar-08 752.3K

I think any Tom Clancy game at this point is better off sticking with the 360. I think it has a lot to do with how shitty a lot of the Tom Clancy games were on PS2.

A lot of people, most people, find the games you probably like just as detestable.

But the games I like are good. Wii Sports, Carnival Games, and the countless other shovelware titles that sell in truckloads for Wii are not.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Relaxed Muscle said:

Its called selling under the radar, like pretty much all the DS software. Damn we really need at least top 20

Same here. And you're right, it s a terrible number, because it's a blast to play.

Again I'd like to know what the big deal is with 360's 5k lead over the ps3. It's not that big, and people are posting boomheashot.gif's. what the hell?

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
PhoenixDark said:
Developers are more interested in the percentage of that Wii number that's first party stuff. I'm sure they're looking at the PS3 number as well, which is sad. I'd love to see the numbers for the top 50 software titles broken down by console
No. Publishers will be looking at the number of games that are their own... forget this 1st party vs 3rd party BS.

indie85

Banned
Seems to me that wii is blowing its load early this year, with the next few months with a 'big' game coming out for it, leaving nothing for the holidays. Now that PS3 is the defacto HD movie player, movie releases are as big a deal as game releases, having blu-ray titles like the Dark Knight and Wall-E combing with games like R2 and KZ2, I would not be at ALL surprised if PS3 beats out wii this winter.

Now ensue a 100 NDF :lol posts... zzzz

No6

RurouniZel said:
It is and we'll probably see a lot more major Japanese support on the Wii at the expense of the PS360 (barring stuff like Capcom hiring western devs to make western games).
I thought the PS3 version came out first...

Frillen

HK-47 said:
Its called selling under the radar, like pretty much all the DS software. Damn we really need at least top 20

Agree, remember last month? The DS only had 1 title in the top 10 but won Software sales overall with 3.6 Mill Software sales.

Top Bottom