• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official March 2008 NPD - There are no words. Almost $1B in SW sales

indie85

Banned
Stuneseht said:
DS and Wii sales:
2m4yeeq.png

Nintendo knows what their doing
Thats pretty sad.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
AniHawk said:
I hadn't realized how much the PS3 fell this month. It went from doing 70k a week in February to about 50k a month in March. The 360 went up in overall sales, but it actually dropped on week-to-week sales.

Yup I posted this at the beginning- 360 went from 63K to 52K, PS3 from 70K to 51K.

NeoUltima

Wizman23 said:
I don't get it either. I bought into at as well and maybe turn it on once every 2 months when people come over cuz they wanna play tennis or something.
Exactly. That's how much a lot of people play games. They don't see a need to spend more money on a 360/ps3 when they can get their fix with the Wii. Not to mention, Wii is considered "cool".

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
sonycowboy said:
GBA launched well over 800k in June 01.
When he asked for non-holiday months I assumed he also meant non-launch months. Besides, nobody cares about handhelds as you can tell by the sales.

mildewproduction

Valtor said:
by making money, what do you mean, politically ?

Have you been following the polls? Everyone thought McCain was dead...same with Wii.

Now Wii sits back making money while PS3 and Xbox fight it out....Now McCain sits back and is raising money for the general election, and the latest polls have McCain beating both Clinton and Obama.

Now maybe Obama will end up beating McCain...and maybe Xbox 360 will have a comback and beat Wii....

But from where we are RIGHT THE FUCK NOW the analogue works.

Unless you are a political or console fanboy, and want to PREDICT THE FUTURE WITH A CRYSTAL BALL.

To be fair, it's not like the 360 rebounded in any huge way. If anything the PS3 stumbled heavier than the 360 did.

So instead of 360 managing to stuff the channels and receiving a huge boost, basically interest in the PS3 is dead again. Is that supposed to be a better scenario for the PS3?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
mildewproduction said:
Have you been following the polls? Everyone thought McCain was dead...same with Wii.

Now Wii sits back making money while PS3 and Xbox fight it out....Now McCain sits back and is raising money for the general election, and the latest polls have McCain beating both Clinton and Obama.

Now maybe Obama will end up beating McCain...and maybe Xbox 360 will have a comback and beat Wii....

Unless you are a political or console fanboy, and want to PREDICT THE FUTURE WITH A CRYSTAL BALL.

Please stay out of the OT. Thanks!

Dante

mr_bishiuk said:
Dont you think its surprising that the PS3 was outsold by the 360? The 360 is only $50 cheaper has RROD issues as we are constantly reminded, does not include a blu ray player, has a smaller HD and no Wifi.

One could argue that the only reason why the PS3 is even close is because the 360 is overpriced and should be at least $100 maybe even $150 cheaper than the PS3 especially as its an additional year older

That goes both ways, you could argue that the 360 has lost the last two months, and barely outsold a console who was the industry laughing stock in 07 :) Oh yeah, and the whole worldwide thing also, which they need to adress.

NeoUltima

Rough math, not exact. From Feb to March Ps3 dropped about 29% on a week to week basis. 360 dropped about 17%. There was a *little amount 360 shortages at the beginning of Feb though.
scoobs said:
:lol :lol :lol

Banned
tahrikmili said:
So instead of 360 managing to stuff the channels and receiving a huge boost, basically interest in the PS3 is dead again. Is that supposed to be a better scenario for the PS3?
Interest for them both have fallen. The 360 just fell lighter becuase it didn't climb as high.

Interest for them both have fallen. The 360 just fell lighter becuase it didn't climb as high.

You still don't answer how this is good for the PS3 or will help it close the 6 million gap. Sorry, logic fails.

evilone

EA Employee
Karma said:
PlayStation 3 257K
Xbox 360 262K

With the PS3 being the best option for people wanting a blu-ray player these numbers should not even be close.

Consumers are stupid??? ...probably

YYZ

A lot of PS3 sales from February might have been because Blu-Ray won the HD format war. It's obvious and probably mentioned many times.

Cruceh

Banned
viciouskillersquirrel said:
Fixed according to who will be the eventual winners.

Hillary = PS3 = Candidate who, coming off a successful predecessor, was thought to be the inevitable successor, but failed. Represents old school of thought.

McCain = 360 = Candidate who looks to be successful, but not successful enough to ultimately win. Is practically a physical embodiment of the old school of thought.

Obama = Wii = Outsider candidate who nobody gave a second thought to who suddenly came from behind and became massively popular. The old school of thought really hate him and see him as a massive threat to the point of supporting a rival candidate to see that he doesn't get on the ticket. These attempts failed.
You didn't fix it. You broke it :lol

Talamius

Mario Kart is going to do well, but I think being sandwiched between Brawl and Wii Fit is going to hurt it.

As a crackpot idea, Nintendo should drop the price on Mario Galaxy when Wii Fit is released. A Wii, Wii Fit, and then say Galaxy at $29.99 would drive even more people into the checkout line.

mildewproduction said:

It's very sad that you had to explain this analogy to people 3 times already.

I may sound kind of "hippy" here by saying this...but looking at the money rolling in like this we should seriously put aside strong fanboyism and be happy gaming as an industry is advancing so well, its good for all of us.

andthebeatgoeson

NeoUltima said:
Exactly. That's how much a lot of people play games. They don't see a need to spend more money on a 360/ps3 when they can get their fix with the Wii. Not to mention, Wii is considered "cool".
We may have to dispense with that notion. If Wii gamers are buying more games than the 360 owners, now, wouldn't that suggest they are gaming more? Maybe it's just the hardcore who are lapsing?

VAIL

AndyIsTheMoney said:
I may sound kind of "hippy" here by saying this...but looking at the money rolling in like this we should seriously put aside strong fanboyism and be happy gaming as an industry is advancing so well, its good for all of us.

No, Nintendo is destroying gaming, don't you get it.

lulz

Banned
tahrikmili said:
You still don't answer how this is good for the PS3 or will help it close the 6 million gap. Sorry, logic fails.
I was never arguing anyone. I was just stating the facts.

If you want proof that the PS3 will close the gap, wait until MGS4 hits. Basing it off this march, a barren month for the platform is stupid.

AniHawk

Captain Smoker said:
Halo 3 first month Can. + US: 3.415.982
Brawl first month Can. + US: 2.900.000

xD

I don't think I've ever seen so many European numbers all at once. Really impressive. Where'd you get those?

AndyIsTheMoney said:
Many don't believe the Wii is good for gaming......well "hardcore" gaming at least.

Frillen

Talamius said:
Mario Kart is going to do well, but I think being sandwiched between Brawl and Wii Fit is going to hurt it.

As a crackpot idea, Nintendo should drop the price on Mario Galaxy when Wii Fit is released. A Wii, Wii Fit, and then say Galaxy at $29.99 would drive even more people into the checkout line.

I personally think Nintendo could've released Mario Kart in June in the US. Just to space out the big three a little bit.

I was never arguing anyone. I was just stating the facts.

If you want proof that the PS3 will close the gap, wait until MGS4 hits. Basing it off this march, a barren month for the platform is stupid.

Didn't PS3 get GT5:prologue this month? It was actually barren for XBOX 360 which got nothing but multiplatform titles. Correct me if I am wrong. (EDIT: I'm wrong, US release date is April 17th or something. Weird, sorry.)

And that logic fails when you consider Gears of War 2 is also hitting this year.

Top Bottom