• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Mario Kart DS topic!

Bebpo

Banned
I haven't been following anything as I was just planning to pick this up on Wed and be surprised but that Wi-Fi dongle thread got me thinking. To play online can I just buy the game, pop it in, turn it on while my DS is near a wireless router and then bam! I'm playing? Or this going to be complicated as hell?

And no, I'm not reading this entire thread for 30 mins just to find that info out on my own :p

Thanks,

To play online can I just buy the game, pop it in, turn it on while my DS is near a wireless router and then bam! I'm playing? Or this going to be complicated as hell?

Pretty much, assuming your router is on the compatibility list Nintendo provided...

...which seems to be evading me at the moment.

~os

SomeDude said:
So is this game actually the Mario kart that tops Super Mario Kart for SNES?

I need more time with it before I would go so far as to make a bold claim like that. I need to do some more battle mode before saying it is better than SNES version. But so far, it is close.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Im going to try and get Mario Kart early when I go to pickup Tony Hawks the day before...

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Bebpo said:
I haven't been following anything as I was just planning to pick this up on Wed and be surprised but that Wi-Fi dongle thread got me thinking. To play online can I just buy the game, pop it in, turn it on while my DS is near a wireless router and then bam! I'm playing? Or this going to be complicated as hell?

And no, I'm not reading this entire thread for 30 mins just to find that info out on my own :p

Thanks,

Yes, because knowing Nintendo's philosophy,it would make pefect sense for this to be complicated as hell. Especially for someone who posts on a videogame forum.

Drensch

Any of you USB guys have Zone Alarm? The test says it's a firewall problem. Since I'm using Zone-Alarm, I can't configure individual ports and such. Usually such things are taken care of when software is used. So the question is, do you have it and was there a problem?

Drakken said:
So this will be in stores tomorrow? I always get confused between the actual release date and the ship date...
If you're lucky. It'll be in most stores Tues. But post here if you do happen to run across some early copies.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Bebpo said:

Thanks,

http://www.modojo.com/features/20051110/21/

Blackbird

Drensch said:
Any of you USB guys have Zone Alarm? The test says it's a firewall problem. Since I'm using Zone-Alarm, I can't configure individual ports and such. Usually such things are taken care of when software is used. So the question is, do you have it and was there a problem?

afaik, Zone Alarm can open up specific ports, yet not specific ports for a specific application. It's either fully open, or completely closed.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
got a call from my gamestop (preorder). they said there is a 50% chance they will have it in tonight. if it makes the truck (it JUST got to sorting) they'll have it in after7pm......... otherwise tomorrow a little after they open, meaning after work :(.

fugimax

got a call from my gamestop (preorder). they said there is a 50% chance they will have it in tonight. if it makes the truck (it JUST got to sorting) they'll have it in after7pm......... otherwise tomorrow a little after they open, meaning after work :(.
Where do you live?

JavyOO7

Hey guys,

Not sure if this has been posted since I haven't checked out the last few pages of this thread, but I think some of you might be interested:

N-Sider Mario Kart DS Tournament

I am so signing up for that tournament once I get my copy of Mario Kart. Problem is I don't know the last day when to sign up for the tournament, and also, the tournament is based on a random drawing. And eight spots are reserved randomly for those here at GAF who are a registered user of N-Sider.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
JavyOO7 said:
Hey guys,

Not sure if this has been posted since I haven't checked out the last few pages of this thread, but I think some of you might be interested:

N-Sider Mario Kart DS Tournament

I am so signing up for that tournament once I get my copy of Mario Kart. Problem is I don't know the last day when to sign up for the tournament, and also, the tournament is based on a random drawing. And eight spots are reserved randomly for those here at GAF who are a registered user of N-Sider.

Uh, eight spots are reserved for the N-SIDER forum members, not GAF :p

But yeah, if you're registered at N-Sider as well, you'll get basically a 'double' draw, one for the 8 spots, and another for the remaining 24 spots.

edit: david, check your PM

Akia

OH YEAHHH.

I just found my DS after losing if for a week. I also check my local GameStop and they said they'll have it in on Tuesday.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
just called the store back.... looking like a slim chance of getting it tonight. :(

c'moooooonnnnnn........ :(

Unison

I got it today at the Nintendo World Store in NYC. So far it's really good. The map is a truly great addition. It makes the banana / green shell / fake item box more strategic because you can see precisely where the other racers are and it lets you know when someone's on your tail.

Holding the A button could be ergonomic, it's true...

DrEvil said:

But yeah, if you're registered at N-Sider as well, you'll get basically a 'double' draw, one for the 8 spots, and another for the remaining 24 spots.

edit: david, check your PM

Dean i was an n-sider forum member, but did u JUST change your forums? My logins dont work anymore =[[[

fallout

PezRadar said:
Dean i was an n-sider forum member, but did u JUST change your forums? My logins dont work anymore =[[[
Forum registrations were closed for obvious reasons. Chances are, if your account hadn't been active for a very long time, it was probably deleted the last time we did maintenance. We're not trying to get more forum members, it's just us trying to give back to our community.

Also, there's no rush on registering for the tournament. Registering on the first day is no different than registering on the last day. That said, we have to have that time limit so we can verify that everyone actually has the game and can play, hence the week+ delay for the tournament.

DrEvil said:
I think you read that wrong. He still says registered as N-Sider members, but presents the idea to GAF. Caught me a little off guard too, though.

fallout

Sorry guys. It had nothing to do with this tournament, we just have a small database to work with so we have to run maintenance every now and then. That maintenance includes trimming old topics, inactive members, etc.

Also, we're aware that 32 is a rather small number, but this is our first time doing something like this and we didn't want to get in over our heads.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
fallout said:
Sorry guys. It had nothing to do with this tournament, we just have a small database to work with so we have to run maintenance every now and then. That maintenance includes trimming old topics, inactive members, etc.

Also, we're aware that 32 is a rather small number, but this is our first time doing something like this and we didn't want to get in over our heads.

I'll have to see how you guys do at this -- I've been plotting ideas for a similar tournament (with lousier prizes, perhaps) for TMK. I just have to bug Deezer about it... and iron out all the kinks.

In theory, the following should work, if you are content with 3 player matches:

1) Start a single DS with an empty friend list. Designate this as the "judge" unit. Distribute the friend code to all those participating in the tournament.

2) Tell all those playing to enter the "judge unit" friend code and set it for high priority.

3) On the judge unit, enter play codes for all 32 (or whatever) people who are planning on playing.

4) Start a four person friend match game. 3 players from the contestant list will be pulled into the match -- no outsiders will play, as they don't have the code.

5) Have the 3 players play the match, leaving the judge car sitting on the starting line. The added advantage is that it does slightly reduce the "killer items" in use, if you hate that sort of thing.

6) After the match, delete all the players from the "judge unit" friend list. Write down the victor code on a scrap of paper, for use in the next round.

7) Start up a new match, again drawing folks (randomly) from the remaining contestants.

This should work fine until you get near the end -- that's when it might take a bit to make sure the last few matches work. You should keep pulling in ONLY the people on your friends list, and thus only contestants... now, they have no way of knowing when they'll play, but eventually you'll make it through everybody.

fallout

DavidDayton said:
I'll have to see how you guys do at this -- I've been plotting ideas for a similar tournament (with lousier prizes, perhaps) for TMK. I just have to bug Deezer about it... and iron out all the kinks.
The only problem with that is making the numbers work. Odd numbers in tournaments tend to lead to by's. Actually, we were originally going to have 2v2 matches with an observer, but given the nature of red shells, it seemed like it would create a problem having an extra person on the track. Besides, 4p matches are much more fun than the 2p ones, thanks to the blue shell.

Essentially, we just tried to utilize Nintendo's limited online system as much as possible. Currently, relying on word-of-mouth, connection troubles and friend list problems are our biggest concerns. Unfortunately, there's not a lot you can do and we had to make some concessions in order to have it run smoothly. With full cooperation of the participants, everything should be fine. We'll certainly let you know how it all works out though.

Meier

Just played it some over Download Play with StrikerObi (and wooped his ass!) and zomg it's amazing. I NEED a DS, dammit.

Top Bottom