• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Mario Kart DS topic!

Swordian

This is getting kind of annoying. Half the time when I'm racing now, at least one of the other racers pretty much jitters all over my screen as if they were teleporting. More annoying than that, I'll be in what appears to be a neck and neck race to the finish, cross the line with my indicator claiming I'm in first, and then wind up being awarded second place points.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Swordian said:
This is getting kind of annoying. Half the time when I'm racing now, at least one of the other racers pretty much jitters all over my screen as if they were teleporting. More annoying than that, I'll be in what appears to be a neck and neck race to the finish, cross the line with my indicator claiming I'm in first, and then wind up being awarded second place points.
Yeah I've noticed the jittering too. In my first race, too. -_-.

Haven't experienced the points thing, though.

What the hell is going on?

Rorschach

Swordian said:
Yup, it's gaynus

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Youshould get an automatic loss if you disconnect in the last lap. Maybe 2 losses. I can't believe people care so much about their record. Fucking ridiculous.

Oh, and is there any chance the online component of MK can be updated.. through a software update or something? Im holding on to that hope. Because as awesome as it is, some little additions could make it so much more. As of now, there is little that differentiates racing a CPU from a player in a WIFI match, with the absolute lack of any kind of communication.

And if I want to play a buddy through wfc.. we HAVE to wait 5 minutes every single time for more players? Even though hes the only damn guy in my list, and we want noone else? Why is there no START option? Its things like this I dont get.

japtor

GaimeGuy said:
Yeah I've noticed the jittering too. In my first race, too. -_-.

Haven't experienced the points thing, though.

What the hell is going on?
welcome to the wonderful world of lag.

Watch out for a guy called yoshi_fan. He's cheating somehow. It's as if he has lag, but when ever you manage to pass him, which is near impossible since you can only match his speed with a boost, he magically teleports in front of you.
what kart does he use? and what record/emblem if you can remember them, i mightve beat him for all i know. ive done time trials against myself and couldnt keep up with some karts, even with boosting. not sure how to explain the magic teleports, other than the game on your side expecting the player to fall off, when he actually doesnt. happens a lot on a particular shortcut, and otherwise ive seen it a bunch when racing near track edges.

You know what's wrong with snaking? It's embarassing. Congrats on winning, but you look like a damn fool doing it.
does it count as snaking if i slide the majority of the time on curvy courses, or is it only snaking when its on big straights? or does everyone have a different definition cause its bullshit?

added you drensch. already played you a few times through rummy. if you havent added me, heres mine: 197627 974328.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Stop talking about "snaking" like it's a derogatory flaw of the game.
Flip back a page - didn't we already have this conversation? :)

Anyway, with that said... the jittering happens when a character is powerslideing for a period of time - the game has trouble predicting where the character is going to be next on your screen.

Shimmer baby

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
This one guy I was playing called "Josh" was using Dry Bones with the ROB-LGS mobile...

he was good.

callous

Son of Godzilla said:
You know what's wrong with snaking? It's embarassing. Congrats on winning, but you look like a damn fool doing it.

Ahahaha, that's so true. Complete lack of style. I'm honestly not just saying that because I'm bitter. It looks so ugly. But yes, highly effective (play to win and all that).

olimario

Banned
Snaking sucks.
BUT DROPPING A GAME IS SO MUCH WORSE!!!
HOW AM I GOING TO GET ANY WINS IF PEOPLE DROP GAMES?! ALL THREE PEOPLE I WAS BEATING DROPPED. ONE EACH RACE!

Nintendo! You suck for not having a better online service.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
olimario said:
Snaking sucks.
HOW AM I GOING TO GET ANY WINS IF PEOPLE DROP GAMES?! ALL THREE PEOPLE I WAS BEATING DROPPED. ONE EACH RACE!

Which is why you should add me since racing against people from here is a lot better.

I've added you and I'm on.

olimario said:
Snaking sucks.

I don't know about you but when I am playing Worldwide/Regional/Rivals, and someone drops from the game, I get a win for it.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Shamrock7r said:
I don't know about you but when I am playing Worldwide/Regional/Rivals, and someone drops from the game, I get a win for it.
Not in 1-on-1 races, only for 3 or 4 player races.

kiryogi

Banned
Japtor. what happened? XD And nice snaking. I tried to follow but I don't normally snake XD Initimidations a bitch

edit: did you let me win on rainbow road? o-o..

japtor

kiryogi said:
Japtor. what happened? XD And nice snaking. I tried to follow but I don't normally snake XD Initimidations a bitch

edit: did you let me win on rainbow road? o-o..
my internet connection dropped out completely. and that aint snaking! i raced a snaker yesterday (that gave me loss #17 actually), he wouldve beat us both.

and no i didnt let you win...fell off the first turn cause uh, i forget. the second fall was after i was trying to time the blue shell to hit you on one of the loops...then drove off the edge cause i was distracted by what looked like you braking right before the loop.

Drakken

Thanks. Good races.

Boy, Shamrock, my races with you are always so tense. :p

Logging off now to do some time trial. If anyone still wants to play; let me know.

Glass Joe

heh that's only because i was playing the wildcard, the guy deep in third can really randomize who's gonna get first, especially since i scored a second or two.

callous

Gazunta said:
Anyone? there's like 40+ GAF members on my friends list, but i hardly ever see anyone... :/

Same here. I always end up just playing strangers even with the same amount of GAFers on my list.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
WOW.

MarioKart DS + WFC + 4 player matches against good friends across the country + 4 way Skype voice- conferencing = Ultra Awesomeness, and 4 hours of lost sleep yesterday night. Damn. Nothing beats chatting in realtime while playing MKDS- you can never go back.

So Nintendo- hurry up with the damn VoIP alread, so I won't need to be beside the PC. Are there any technical hurdles that make this impossible?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Gazunta said:
Anyone?

there's like 40+ GAF members on my friends list, but i hardly ever see anyone... :/

Gaz, I'll make sure to add you. Do you have me? 266347-466070

callous

Slurpy said:
So Nintendo- hurry up with the damn VoIP alread, so I won't need to be beside the PC. Are there any technical hurdles that make this impossible?

I seriously doubt that's going to happen. If you read Nintendo's Wifi material, it's all about protecting the kiddies. In Animal Crossing, for example, they assure the parents that the chat with strangers is going to be limited to selectable words yadda yadda yadda. Go read it and you'll stop dreaming about voice chat :/

Glass Joe

damn you shamrock. i'd curse you if that one race victory didn't make me feel sorta good, considering your insane record and all (i'm znuff17, same AIM). nice race, you're pretty damn good! but i'm shying away to pad my record now, heh.

japtor

damn, i had to go so i disconnected from a 3p race on the first track against some random poeple. i was in the lead by far, but it gave me 2 losses for that anyways. now i need 39 straight wins just to get back to a 10:1 win/loss ratio. kiryogi? smiles and cries? i need some wins!

kiryogi

Banned
japtor said:
damn, i had to go so i disconnected from a 3p race on the first track against some random poeple. i was in the lead by far, but it gave me 2 losses for that anyways. now i need 39 straight wins just to get back to a 10:1 win/loss ratio. kiryogi? smiles and cries? i need some wins!

I'm at work :p Ive realized what I need to improve on but no idea how long it'll take to improve those lines. :p

Drensch

I seriously doubt that's going to happen. If you read Nintendo's Wifi material, it's all about protecting the kiddies.

As many assholes(snakes that think they're the shit,droppers, and lame avatars) I've encountered, I can imagine chat might really suck.

callous

Drensch said:
As many assholes(snakes that think they're the shit,droppers, and lame avatars) I've encountered, I can imagine chat might really suck.

Certainly, but with friends and good people it would rock. I'd just need a mute button for the morons.

japtor

Drensch said:
i dont know. that race i had with the guy with the swastika and the other guy with the wwe logo couldve been even awesomer with voice chat. and on that race i had to drop, i wouldve known whether 'raychel :) :) :) ' was a girl or 40 year old pedophile who was hitting on the guy with a penis emblem.

Gazunta

DavidDayton said:
Gaz, I'll make sure to add you. Do you have me? 266347-466070

Got you :) I think most of my problem is the time zone. You guys are asleep when I'm up :)

PS - searching...I'm awake, bored, and my wife's asleep, LET'S PLAY!

Top Bottom