• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Mario Kart DS topic!

Glass Joe

it's about 1am EST and i'm playing me some online mario kart. any takers? PM me and i'll add and destroy you! heh j/k but i'll gladly play you.

DrGAKMAN said:
Does anyone know who "Codas" is? He has like Kuban Heat's avatar as his icon....

I don't know who Codas is, but Kobun Heat's avatar is a Kobun ("Servebot" in the US), characters who exist independently of Mr. Heat and have for many years.

SantaC

looking for people to race again, and with no drop outs?

we have started an IRC channel at #mariokartonline at quakenet. It's usually around 20-30 people daily on the channel.

Why on earth would someone do that? Snaking takes all the fun out of it, I came acrross someone yesterday on a 1v1, who picked Figure8 every single time. He got it twice and 3 times and snaked like his life depended on it, hello fun??

I think I'll just quit if I see someone using it again, I could just snake along with them but then it becomes an endurance test with little skill involved. Not exactly the reason why you play MK in the first place.

On the flipside however, I had some fantastic 4p games yesterday. It was actually a worldwide game and had some Japanese players. There was a 3 way tie at the top and all the races were photo finishes, great fun.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Played a dude named RadicalEd...222 wins, 0 losses...the other 2 racers dropped out when he murdered us in the first race, so it was me and him 1on1. He was playing as Dry Bones in the sweeper kart (I hate fuckers who use that kart...I haven't really openned any new karts yet) and his icon was a bullet bill with razor teeth. 3RD race I beat him 'cos he kept choking on Rainbow Road so my score was within range of beating him...last race was Frappe Snowland and I fucked up right away by trying to use a shroom to shortcut ahead of him and instead driving off course. I finally caught up to him near the end of lap 3 and even got a blue shell which hit him right at the finnish line and I was maybe 3 lengths behind him...I don't think he knew how close I was to catching up. Probably the most exciting 1on1 match I've had...I love playing against undefeated players, 'cos they always choke on Rainbow Road against me.

Then I faced a guy named jarod...and he kept wanting to play me even though I beat him pretty good. I kept wondering if it was jarrod from GAF?

xsarien

daedsiluap
The amount of people snaking online is pretty disgusting, it takes all the fun out of Mario Kart.

Want to snake? go play F-Zero. Of course, this just bolsters the argument for doing friends-only play.

Chibbi Brady said:
I came acrross someone yesterday on a 1v1, who picked Figure8 every single time. He got it twice and 3 times and snaked like his life depended on it, hello fun??

Same thing happened to me today. The guy had 174 wins and 4 losses.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
xsarien said:
The amount of people snaking online is pretty disgusting, it takes all the fun out of Mario Kart.

Want to snake? go play F-Zero. Of course, this just bolsters the argument for doing friends-only play.

huh?

your making a joke, right?

Edit: I seriously think your joking, but just in case for some reason your actually being serious...

Uhh, how can you be serious? It's part of the game design. It's actual strategy of the game, design that way for a reason. What's the bitching for? beacsue you can't do it? It's really rather easy, and separates those in last from those in first. That's like saying - hey! You can't drag bannas behind you, that blocks shells!

Is this your first Mario Kart? That tactics been used since power sliding began,heh.

John Harker

Has anybody had difficulty connecting to people lately?
I dunno, in the last few days, I've had trouble staying in games. can't even start games sometimes, the search will fill with 3 people - and then it'll just drop them all.

And I'm even finding it longer to FIND people in Worldwide and such.
It's rather annyoing.

xsarien

daedsiluap
John Harker said:
huh?

your making a joke, right?

Edit: I seriously think your joking, but just in case for some reason your actually being serious...

Uhh, how can you be serious? It's part of the game design. It's actual strategy of the game, design that way for a reason. What's the bitching for? beacsue you can't do it? It's really rather easy, and separates those in last from those in first. That's like saying - hey! You can't drag bannas behind you, that blocks shells!

Is this your first Mario Kart? That tactics been used since power sliding began,heh.

1) No, it's not my first Mario Kart, thankyouverymuch.
2) Yes, I can do it.
3) If all you're doing is snaking to get ahead, you're excising half the fun out of the races, which is to spoil yourself silly with cartoon violence.

It's kind of like that jackass kid in the arcade who uses the easiest moves in repetition to win. I'm not saying that it's a flaw with the game, I'm saying you're being a cheap motherfucker if that's all you're doing to stay ahead in the race.

Waku

Nice Races heidern, so many ties.^^

I think i will never again touch Yoshi, can't get into controlling him right for my taste. Dry Bones all the way.

My main problem with snaking is that it looks shit. I played a guy last night who was doing it and the game was having trouble predicting his path between packets... ugly.

John Harker

radioheadrule83 said:
My main problem with snaking is that it looks shit. I played a guy last night who was doing it and the game was having trouble predicting his path between packets... ugly.

This I can agree with :)

However, as far as doing it is concerend - it shouldn't be frowned upon. It's actually part of playing the game - and besides, it's a lot more challening and fun, the way I see it, to attempt to constantly powerslide and boost on a straightaway, then it is to simply hold down the A button and HOPE your character catches up. There is NO SKILL involved in holding down the A button on a straight run, is there? All it does is make you needlessly push the button down harder! :)

At least this tests how good you are at the game, your ability to pull off quick movements in short periods of time, your steering control, and your nerve. Hell, if you slip up a powerslide on a straight run and crash into a wall, your screwed!

See? More fun for everyone!

xsarien

daedsiluap
John Harker said:
This I can agree with :)

However, as far as doing it is concerend - it shouldn't be frowned upon. It's actually part of playing the game - and besides, it's a lot more challening and fun, the way I see it, to attempt to constantly powerslide and boost on a straightaway, then it is to simply hold down the A button and HOPE your character catches up. There is NO SKILL involved in holding down the A button on a straight run, is there?

No, but there's plenty of skill in aiming and timing a green shell to take out the bastard who thinks he can snake his way to victory.

I really must emphasize that snaking isn't a "strategy." It's what you do when you can't handle strategic banana peel placements, aim a bomb or a shell, or can't tell the fake cubes from the real ones.

But you're not though, you crash into a wall and within milliseconds you're off down the road again. It really is crap, what harm is there in playing normally? It scares the crap out of the new guy and basically gives him no chance. Doesn't matter if he gets blue shell after blue shell, he's not catching you. I'd hardly call that fun.

John Harker

Chibbi Brady said:
But you're not though, you crash into a wall and within milliseconds you're off down the road again. It really is crap, what harm is there in playing normally? It scares the crap out of the new guy and basically gives him no chance. Doesn't matter if he gets blue shell after blue shell, he's not catching you. I'd hardly call that fun.

Define "playing normally" ?

Where is it written that your only "suppose" to powerslide on turns?
Or do you not turn at all? Would you disable the boost if you can?

Each car has its own speed burst rating because it's actually factored into the game balance. If your the slowest car and just constantly speedburst, thats about the equivliant of the fastes car going straight.

And how can you base your skill soely on item uses? Acquiring items is random - I wouldn't place skill and hand dexterity on the same level as item usage. Yes, there is TONS of skill in USING an item, but it isn't the sole factor. To say hitting someone with a green shell in a straight away is better off than powersliding on a straight run is bullocks, beacuse whose to say I have a green shell? All things being equal, powersliding is a skill anyone can do - item use isn't. Why don't I just shadow you the whole time with the blue shell I got in the first lap, and use it at the last second? That sure is a lot more "fun" than prefecting my driving.

I'd rather be a perfect driver then depend on items to do my work.

Edit:
And for the record, I don't even do this consantly. I mean, I do it, yes, but constantly no. I find myself falling off stages and smashing into grass/walls often if I try to do it all the time - but I think it is, like cutting corners, a skill to practice, not a "flaw to exploit."

xsarien

daedsiluap
John Harker said:
Define "playing normally" ?

Where is it written that your only "suppose" to powerslide on turns?
Or do you not turn at all? Would you disable the boost if you can?

Each car has its own speed burst rating because it's actually factored into the game balance. If your the slowest car and just constantly speedburst, thats about the equivliant of the fastes car going straight.

And how can you base your skill soely on item uses? Acquiring items is random - I wouldn't place skill and hand dexterity on the same level as item usage. Yes, there is TONS of skill in USING an item, but it isn't the sole factor. To say hitting someone with a green shell in a straight away is better off than powersliding on a straight run is bullocks, beacuse whose to say I have a green shell? All things being equal, powersliding is a skill anyone can do - item use isn't. Why don't I just shadow you the whole time with the blue shell I got in the first lap, and use it at the last second? That sure is a lot more "fun" than prefecting my driving.

I'd rather be a perfect driver then depend on items to do my work.

If one person snakes, it effectively requires everyone to snake. Using it for quick boosts after a crash is one thing, but doing it for the balance of the race makes having competitors pointless, especially if they don't know how to do it. Why? Because catching up could be a problem for them.

Putting yourself so far ahead that there's no challenge for you and no incentive for people to even finish: *That's* bollocks.

I think the "4 powerslide boosts in 1 lap" kind of missions are probably proof that Nintendo expect people to learn to use them... snaking is extraordinary though in a way. You have people pulling them off in the tens in a short (albeit sometimes wide) piece of straight. It lets them pull about a mile ahead very quickly. Its impressive sure...

but in the same breath I get what people are saying. If you're a new racer, or someone that can't (or just doesn't) take to snaking, then you're not going to like playing people who do. I can totally see how people who can snake, wouldn't want to snake, purely because it involves wiggling the Dpad and toggling the R button so much. Is it really all that great for people who use it? I wouldn't be surprised if people who use it excessively experience a huge amount of race drop-outs.

John Harker

xsarien said:
If one person snakes, it effectively requires everyone to snake. Using it for quick boosts after a crash is one thing, but doing it for the balance of the race makes having competitors pointless, especially if they don't know how to do it. Why? Because catching up could be a problem for them.

Putting yourself so far ahead that there's no challenge for you and no incentive for people to even finish: *That's* bollocks.

I don't think I've ever put myself so far ahead it was impossible to come back.

That's what bullet bills, red, and blue shells are for... right?

I mean, I would agree with you if it was exploiting a flaw in the game, but I just can't see it. I think it's there FOR that purpose. If your new and you "can't do it," or "don't know it" - well, time to practice! It's part of the game mechanic. Like, throwing bananas or boxes in front of you. I'm sure some people don't know they can do THAT either. Or dragging green shells behind you as sheilds. I'm sure not everyone knows THAT at first either.

You just play and play, and practice and see it being done and emulate it.
That's how people, ya know... get better at things.

xsarien

daedsiluap
John Harker said:
I don't think I've ever put myself so far ahead it was impossible to come back.

That's what bullet bills, red, and blue shells are for... right?

I mean, I would agree with you if it was exploiting a flaw in the game, but I just can't see it. I think it's there FOR that purpose. If your new and you "can't do it," or "don't know it" - well, time to practice! It's part of the game mechanic. Like, throwing bananas or boxes in front of you. I'm sure some people don't know they can do THAT either. Or dragging green shells behind you as sheilds. I'm sure not everyone knows THAT at first either.

You just play and play, and practice and see it being done and emulate it.
That's how people, ya know... get better at things.

I think the best way to put this in perspective for you is to imagine playing Street Fighter II against someone who does nothing but throw fireballs at you. It's boring, not terribly challenging for either player, and, generally, makes the offender come off as kind of a one-trick dick. :p

John Harker

xsarien said:
I think the best way to put this in perspective for you is to imagine playing Street Fighter II against someone who does nothing but throw fireballs at you. It's boring, not terribly challenging for either player, and, generally, makes the offender come off as kind of a one-trick dick. :p

Jump over him and throw him from behind :)

xsarien said:

Horrible argument against snaking. Let me break it down:

1. If one person snakes, it effectively requires everyone to snake.

-- Assume we are playing Smash Bros. I have no idea how to juggle. All I know are basic hits and specials. You on the other hand are an excellent jugger, which helps you immensely against me. Would it be cheap for you to juggle against me? Just because I don't know it doesn't automatically mean it shouldn't be used.

2. Using it for quick boosts after a crash is one thing, but doing it for the balance of the race makes having competitors pointless, especially if they don't know how to do it. Why? Because catching up could be a problem for them.

-- And now you are somehow dictating when snaking is or isn't ok to be used. You say it is ok to use when you are catching up after a crash. Why? Why does that make it acceptable in your eyes to snake? So only when I get hit by something I am allowed to snake? When must I stop? When I catch up? Is this in Nintendo's official Snaking guidelines? As for the second part, see #1.

3. Putting yourself so far ahead that there's no challenge for you and no incentive for people to even finish: *That's* bollocks

-- That's the whole point of competition. Let's use basketball as an example. Say the San Antonio Spurs are the number 1 team, and the Wizards are last. Should the San Antonio Spurs go easy on the Wizards to make it a closer game? I sure as hell hope not. They are out to win the game. When I play online, I am out to win, not to go easy on the little guy; give up some of my advantages so he has a fighting chance. That is stupid and if you think it is wrong to give it your all to win, then I guarantee you are going to hate online gaming. Play with your friends if you want to set up little rules that negate certain skills, but don't expect it online against strangers.

I am a supporter of snaking. It requires an understanding of when to use and how to use it to be able to do it effectively. Ask a number of people who have played me and I am sure they will tell you I am above average at it. I have seen people attempt snaking, and they go from one side of the road to the other, which isn't very good. It is not something you can just pick up and do. It requires practice and understanding, just as using weapons and shortcuts. To swear it off simply because you don't want to do it does not make it cheap.

Akia

I can't believe this thread died :( I blame the mods for moving it. But I guess people have moved on to other things like Mario and Luigi: PiT.

Akia said:
I can't believe this thread died :( I blame the mods for moving it. But I guess people have moved on to other things like Mario and Luigi: PiT.

Thread may be dead but I have been playing a few GA peeps online. Currently playing Drakken in some ridiculously close matches.

Glass Joe

I really appreciate Demi setting up that page on his site for the gaffers, but since I'm sorta new, I'm sure no one's about to add a junior member no one knows much about for the hell of it. Anyone have the motivation to create a GAF tourney, because that'd be pretty awesome.

As it stands, I'm a pretty decent player, so when I play average people, most of them just drop, which sucks. It's like I have to throw a race or two just to get some wins on my barely winning online record. Having friends and AOL IMing people I know a bit rocks a lot more, because no one will drop and we all get to talk smack. However, most people on my buddy list are more hardcore than me so I barely have a chance against 'em.

Anyway, if there's any takers, I'm 116023 547621, but I won't know to add you of course, unless you post so here or PM me. I'll never intentionally drop, and I won't "snake" unless that's a pre-allowed condition. I'm sorta decent at that btw, but not at all an expert.

Glass Joe said:
I really appreciate Demi setting up that page on his site for the gaffers, but since I'm sorta new, I'm sure no one's about to add a junior member no one knows much about for the hell of it. Anyone have the motivation to create a GAF tourney, because that'd be pretty awesome.

As it stands, I'm a pretty decent player, so when I play average people, most of them just drop, which sucks. It's like I have to throw a race or two just to get some wins on my barely winning online record. Having friends and AOL IMing people I know a bit rocks a lot more, because no one will drop and we all get to talk smack. However, most people on my buddy list are more hardcore than me so I barely have a chance against 'em.

Anyway, if there's any takers, I'm 116023 547621, but I won't know to add you of course, unless you post so here or PM me. I'll never intentionally drop, and I won't "snake" unless that's a pre-allowed condition. I'm sorta decent at that btw, but not at all an expert.

lol, I will add you man. Look for my # on Demi's site. I should be on later.

Drakken

Glass Joe said:

I'll add you. My code is 455326 183411.

Feel free to snake to your heart's content against me.

japtor

kiryogi said:
Sorry to drop Japtor. Gotta run XD But we'll race again, your daisy is fun XD
i loaded this page just to post something to the extent of 'KIRYOGIS A DROPPER' for fun, but i figured your connection went out or something. you know i wouldve won anyways. i stopped early on the first race and momentum just barely got me past the finish line.

-- That's the whole point of competition. Let's use basketball as an example. Say the San Antonio Spurs are the number 1 team, and the Wizards are last. Should the San Antonio Spurs go easy on the Wizards to make it a closer game? I sure as hell hope not. They are out to win the game. When I play online, I am out to win, not to go easy on the little guy; give up some of my advantages so he has a fighting chance. That is stupid and if you think it is wrong to give it your all to win, then I guarantee you are going to hate online gaming. Play with your friends if you want to set up little rules that negate certain skills, but don't expect it online against strangers.
ive played easy against a few people, some strangers some friends. i limit myself to burning out at the start, stopping every lap at the finish line and waiting for someone to catch up, and occasionally driving backwards or off the track (pretty much only at the finish line though).

but for the most part, yeah, i generally try to destroy people. no snaking is bs though. if i can pull off 2-3 boosts in a turn when my opponents can only do 1 (or none), should i stop doing that too? if i enter turns early with a boost and come out late with a boost is that cheap too?

and figure 8 is the worst track evar. if anyone picks that you deserve to be snaked on relentlessly. go to hell.

Drensch

Watch out for a guy called yoshi_fan. He's cheating somehow. It's as if he has lag, but when ever you manage to pass him, which is near impossible since you can only match his speed with a boost, he magically teleports in front of you.

Top Bottom