• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official MLB 10 League: Zep's a No Show....again

Mrbob

I'll be home around 9:30 central tonight if anyone wants to get a game in. It is time for me to wind down Madden and get more into The Show.

KanZolo

Everybody enjoy The Show, can't afford it right now so I had to drop out. I'll be playing this by myself though
155146t.jpg

eznark

Banned
Yeah, I got the Wii version a few years ago (maybe 08?) it's really awesome. Too bad the DS version is absolute shit.

Fifty

LJ11 said:
You still want the Angels right?

Yes sir. The only negative I see is if I'm playing against people who live on the west coast, and the servers haven't improved greatly (I remember playing DMczaf two years ago and it being unplayable, lag-wise), I'm screwed. Online baseball, more than any other sport, demands a (relatively) lag free connection.

This concludes my excuse for giving up HR after HR

rareside

I've already played about 100 games online this year and rarely have issues with lag. I think maybe 5 games have been incredibly difficult to play in. I host only about half the time or less (GameBattles requires me to pick visitor most of the time). Also I've played over 75 unique opponents in those games, so a good variety of locations around the US.

Don't worry about lag fellas (be wired if possible!!).

I demoed the first MLB PowerPros. game on PS2... asstacular stattracking, Reyes hit like 30 homers in one season, later found out they only used 1 guy to stattrack (WTF?). Powerpros. version of RTTS was frickin' awesome though.

oh btw for all the complainers:

NEWS_1185421530773.jpg

eznark

Banned
Yeah, you had to go through and manually update every single players stats if you wanted realism. Fuck that, I just played the rtts and vs friends. Game was dope.

What the heck is GameBattles?

eznark said:
What the heck is GameBattles?
GameBattles is a Tourney-based website where you battle other gamerclans in a variety of FPS/Sports/Fighting games. However not only does the site suffer due to shitty design/code, the customer service is so bad it invites cheating like a Genin trying to pass the Chunin Exam. In all seriousness, place needs to be nuked from orbit.

Yes, I intentionally went for that analogy eznark.

rareside

The Frankman said:
GameBattles is a Tourney-based website where you battle other gamerclans in a variety of FPS/Sports/Fighting games. However not only does the site suffer due to shitty design/code, the customer service is so bad it invites cheating like a Genin trying to pass the Chunin Exam. In all seriousness, place needs to be nuked from orbit.

Yes, I intentionally went for that analogy eznark.

GameBattles is not bad. Frankman is sour because his only experience with the site was when they just launched the tournament for $10,000 last summer for MLB 09. Of course there were tons of cheaters back then. $10,000 will do that. Had you stayed around for more than 5 games you would've realized that the tournament played out fairly and the winner of the 10k was legit. Patience is virtue. I will partially agree that their customer service isn't fantastic, but it gets the job done. Again, patience.. I've never been wronged, and I've never wronged anyone else.

Right now there are 390ish teams registered on the MLB ladder. Last summer there were over 2000. So yeah... There's really no incentives for cheaters right now unless they just want to grief..I've played about 60 unique teams on there so far and 2 tried to cheat me straight up by reporting false scores. Thanks to MLB's theshowcommunity.com website that shows every boxscore ever played online I'm able to easily provide proof for my wins.

As it stands, the best place to get the best competition on MLB (online) is GameBattles. If you find anywhere else, please let me know. Get on GB, get your ass kicked by the pros, and get better. If you just want to play a casual game and don't care about playing at the highest level, then that's cool too.

Don' believe the hate.

eznark

Banned
Wanna play tonight Frank?

As it stands, the best place to get the best competition on MLB (online) is GameBattles. If you find anywhere else, please let me know. Get on GB, get your ass kicked by the pros, and get better. If you just want to play a casual game and don't care about playing at the highest level, then that's cool too.

I get my ass kicked on a casual level so I'm good. I do wish I could find more consistent games though.

I'll play an unranked game now if anyone wants. I'm just doing my practice mode crap.
rareside said:
GameBattles is not bad. Frankman is sour because his only experience with the site was when they just launched the tournament for $10,000 last summer for MLB 09. Of course there were tons of cheaters back then. $10,000 will do that. Had you stayed around for more than 5 games you would've realized that the tournament played out fairly and the winner of the 10k was legit. Patience is virtue. I will partially agree that their customer service isn't fantastic, but it gets the job done. Again, patience.. I've never been wronged, and I've never wronged anyone else.
I played 40 MLB games + had my Warhawk clan involved in Gamebattles. It gets tiring having to win/prove you won when opposing team tries to say you cheated. Or my fave, the no-show "I was here and he wasn't!" and then document AIM chats every single time. I just got fed up... I was in the Top 128 when I quit playing out of frustration, which would've qualified for the tourney.

rareside

Well, cheating idiots are everywhere. If there was a better alternative to GB I'd be there in a heartbeat. In my experience (only with MLB), the best thing about GB is that you can scout people based on their feedback. I refuse to play anyone with less than 3*, and it's made it quite awesome.

When you're ready to play a ranked match hit me up. PSN is still octoco, and will be around for another few hours.

rareside

Rorschach said:

Think you already posted this somewhere else. I assume someone was whoring out their homebrew tourney site? I missed the boat on that one..

Anyway, I'm involved in a few MLB online communities, it's a shame it's so tiny here. Never been in a league though so I'm really hoping this one turns out great.

What are we waiting on now? The next roster update? Has it been confirmed that our rosters will auto-update through the season?

Probably won't play a ranked game until tomorrow, I like to dedicate the first day to practicing/roster tweaks/RTTS crap, you can only play so many demo games. But I'll see how it goes tonight.

Rorschach

rareside said:
Think you already posted this somewhere else. I assume someone was whoring out their homebrew tourney site? I missed the boat on that one..

Anyway, I'm involved in a few MLB online communities, it's a shame it's so tiny here. Never been in a league though so I'm really hoping this one turns out great.

What are we waiting on now? The next roster update? Has it been confirmed that our rosters will auto-update through the season?
I didn't post it before. Livewire did. And no, it wasn't someone pimping their homebrew site.

LJ11

rareside said:

It's starting on Monday/Tuesday, depends on how quickly everyone signs in. I can't find confirmation on roster updates during the season, searched quite a bit.

Fixed1979

LJ do you have the league created yet? I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be looking for it or if you planned on sending invites out to everyone.

LJ11

Fixed1979 said:
LJ do you have the league created yet? I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be looking for it or if you planned on sending invites out to everyone.

Haven't created it yet.

Just an FYI, someone had to drop out so I'm trying to find a replacement. If we can't find one, I'm going to force the league to 22 and leave one team open. Maybe we'll find someone later down the road. If we don't, everyone will be treated to 3 free wins.

I'll let everyone know when it's up.

Mets - 6 - 11 - 0
Phils - 2 - 10 - 0

Thanks for the unranked game pistolpete. Outside of that 2nd inning where we had lag game ran fine. I was so fortunate to get Niese thru 6 innings, I could not locate his friggin' cutter and like an idiot underused his curve. I was able to get a few fortunate XBH (never dive with your OF in Citi, you risk the auto-triple), I was so pissed Bay missed that grand slam by a foot! And Utley homering against Feliciano on a first-pitch slider... ugh.

also I read your PM, let's just say I hope Jason Bay runs that fast patrolling Citi in real life. :D

JambiBum

Sign me up. I'll grab it in the next day or so. Before the league officially starts.

Edit: PSN tag is same as gaf.

Haha, you got it man. The first time I fucked up and dove to try catch a fly ball. Every other time I was diving because I was leaning my dualshock on my bed. :lol

LJ11

JambiBum said:
Sign me up. I'll grab it in the next day or so. Before the league officially starts.

Edit: PSN tag is same as gaf.

Right now I have 22, was waiting on someone yesterday. You'll have to be a back up as of right now.

LJ11

The Frankman said:
LJ11 have you thought about my slider suggs?

Yeah, still mulling it over. Hate how we're locked in, with no ability to go back. You and I may like the adjustments, others may not. I'm leaning on adjusting reaction and speed.

LJ11

Miguel said:
If necessary I can jump to the other league and help out the lifeless AL Central.

Your call. Everyone one plays a single 3 game series against every team, nothing I can do about it. It's up to you.

JambiBum

Miguel said:
If necessary I can jump to the other league and help out the lifeless AL Central.

If I manage to get a spot I'm going to go with the White Sox since the Yanks are already taken. Should help out the Central.

LJ11 said:
Yeah, still mulling it over. Hate how we're locked in, with no ability to go back. You and I may like the adjustments, others may not. I'm leaning on adjusting reaction and speed.
Trust me, if you want detailed explanations over each slider I gave I'll provide it here.

Fielder Reaction: 10 - Increases initial IF reaction/range, though impact is not as big as last year. - This is an INF slider, it helps initial reaction time and reduces the amount of the "WTF ball went under the fielder's glove!" moments.
Fielder Run Speed: 1 - Fixes speedy OFs who catch everything. - As PistolPete can attest to, this slows down Slow OFs to what they should be at. Bay was looking like Andru Jones circa 1996 in my game. :lol
Fielder Arm Strength: 4 - Slight tweak.
Reliever Stamina: 3 - I put this at 3, but it really could be set to 2.
Solid Hits: 1 or 2 - It increases hit variety (bloopers/choppers/etc.) - I cannot stress this one enough. Every hit online is a bullet liner, that's not real life. Most of us have this set to 0 in our Franchises, though maybe you want it on the setting I listed.
Contact: 4 - Slight tweak, it's already proven you can hit with the slider set at 1 and 0.
Pitcher Control: 6 - Not a real control slider, it increases meatball pitches when lowered and decreases meatballs when raised.
Pitcher Consistency: 6 or 7 - Raising pitcher consistency pretty much increases the chance of the pitch going in the area where the pitcher wants it and decreases the chances of the pitch missing by a lot. How many times have you only missed the meter area and yet the ball is 5 feet away from where you want it? This slider also has a big impact on wild pitches and hit batters, so this will reduce that a bit.

I went the slider adjust route to try and add realism in areas it was sorely lacking. If you want we can make up a quick BS league and play like 2-3 games using the sliders. Anything else, just ask.

For situations like these, it'd be nice if they added a spring training option in online leagues. It would help to gauge internet connections and to test the sliders, etc.

LJ11

pistolpete2940 said:
For situations like these, it'd be nice if they added a spring training option in online leagues. It would help to gauge internet connections and to test the sliders, etc.

Zep and I planned to set up a dummy league, but again it would only be a couple of people playing with sliders and basically dictating to the group.

I know FMT mentioned hitting troubles, so decreasing solid hits would make it even more difficult for a guy like him.

My AIM is LJ11370, Frank (or anyone for that matter) you're more than welcome to message me so we can discuss this more or just offer suggestions.

I'm definitely messing with reaction and speed, still mulling over hitting/pitching.

Edit: Fuck it, we'll do a quick dummy league tonight Frank. I can play after 9pm or so, or you and pistol can set one up, play a game or two, and we'll do one later tonight.

LJ11 said:
Zep and I planned to set up a dummy league, but again it would only be a couple of people playing with sliders and basically dictating to the group.

I know FMT mentioned hitting troubles, so decreasing solid hits would make it even more difficult for a guy like him.

My AIM is LJ11370, Frank (or anyone for that matter) you're more than welcome to message me so we can discuss this more or just offer suggestions.

I'm definitely messing with reaction and speed, still mulling over hitting/pitching.

Edit: Fuck it, we'll do a quick dummy league tonight Frank. I can play after 9pm or so, or you and pistol can set one up, play a game or two, and we'll do one later tonight.

Meanwhile he gets crushed by the good hitters hitting homer after homer or several extra base hits. I agree with Frankman, the solid hits slider should be put down to at least 2 for the online league. Giving teams like the Yankees, Phils, etc.... even more advantage if it isn't changed, IMHO.

Just my two cents.

BigAT

As I'm new to the series, can someone explain why we're playing without the strike zone on? I'm pretty awful at pitching to begin with, and I had a rough time of it without the strike zone in my one (and only) tournament game. I'm guessing it is prevent people from constantly painting the edges of the zone for strikes? It seems to me though that even if you can aim it, actually executing the pitch is hard enough, online especially, that having the strike zone up isn't a huge advantage.

Top Bottom