• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official MLB 11: The Show League - 3rd Time's A Charm, Right? RIIIIIIGGHHHT?

1st League: Done in by stupid hackers/PSN crashing...
2nd League: Done in by real life/PS3 issues...

a1fc76063d178ef42d69773eb65ac930-getty-105230564ab003_new_york_met.jpg

"It's time for a change..."

Official NeoGAF 2.0 League Page here

GAF Name | PSN Name | Team | Time Zone
The Frankman - The Frankman86 --- Mets / Eastern
LJ11 - LJ11 --- Reds / Eastern
Corran Horn - Corran --- Giants / Pacific
turnbuckle - Turnbuckle47 --- Tigers
eznark - thekranz --- Brewers
pistolpete2940 - pistolpete294 --- Yankees / Eastern
Duane Cunningham - Swillhound --- Royals
Square Triangle - Jrod87 --- Cubs
Marleyman - cubsiahthe2nd --- Marlins
KanZolo - KanZolo --- Phillies

Settings are as follows:

* 60 Games over 18 Weeks
* 3 Game Series done in 5 Day Increments
* Top 4 make Playoffs
* Pitching - Hall Of Fame
* Hitting - All-Star
* All Zones Off
* Balks On
* Injuries On
* Fast Play On
* Ejections On
* Playoff teams 8 (will have to bump down to 4 if we only have 14 total players!)
* Each player has an extra series against two people. So you'll play the nine times instead of 6, had to randomize it a few times.
* You must use at least four of your starters in a regular rotation, and no pitchers on 3 days rest unless its' the final two weeks/series of the season. If you forget what starter you used just check the boxscore from the previous game. In the playoffs 3 starters is fine.

Rules from last season. *Will be edited going forward.*
- No early/excessive stealing. If you're up like 5-6 in the 7th/8th be fair.
- Do not quick pitch your opponent, allow a second or two to check pitches.
- Trading is allowed, all trades must be approved by LJ11 and I.
- Don't peg a star player because he's destroying you over at the plate or pitching a gem, injuries are a factor. In extreme cases if evidence of dickery is found I'll penalize losses.
- It may be better to play at night due to less lag

As Mrbob said in MLB 09 League:
"Everyone already knows we will try to play this like a sim league. It doesn't have to be perfectly accurate, but please don't throw junk balls outside the strike zone to your opponent all game long. Having said this, there aren't going to be any regulations against pitching in this game. If you are a patient enough hitter you can force your opponent to throw some strikes over the plate to smash. Don't go swinging right away at all the pitches being thrown! If you are swinging at sliders outside the strike zone you only have yourself to blame! And it will happen to all of us this season."
If you are having hitting issues, PLEASE WATCH THIS VIDEO. It's dated and old, but I cannot tell you how much it helped me be a more patient hitter and fix my pitch recognition. Even with the altered camera this year, it can still help you mentally.

Last, remember what I said before: I want to see all of you guys here next year. 30-Team MLB 12: The Show GAF League In 2012. BELIEVE IT AND IT WILL HAPPEN...

openingday2011.jpg

Opening Series are as follows:
The Frankman (Mets) vs. LJ11 (Reds) (FUCKING WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY?)
Duane Cunningham (Royals) vs. Corran Horn (Giants)
pistolpete2940 (Yankees) vs. turnbuckle (Tigers)
Marleyman (Marlins) vs. eznark (Brewers)
KanZolo (Phillies) vs. Square Triangle (Cubs)

eznark

Banned
I pm'd marleyman, I'm going to be out of town wed, th, and Friday (be back Friday night) so let's knock these things out in the next few days. I can play one this afternoon after the Brewers game.

Marleyman

Banned
eznark said:
I pm'd marleyman, I'm going to be out of town wed, th, and Friday (be back Friday night) so let's knock these things out in the next few days. I can play one this afternoon after the Brewers game.

What a crazy game eznark. I struggled at first because I haven't played with the buttons at all this year, so that took some adjustment. Pitcher's duel until the 13th inning when Mike Stanton hits a walk-off 2-run-HR...whew. You had a few clear hits that I thought could have changed the game, and Ryan Braun was hitting anything I pitched! I had a good time; great game.

eznark

Banned
Good game dude. JJ is tough. One of those guys where if you don't get a perfectly solid shot, it's a dribbler or a pop up. I started going to all power swings halfway through because I could tell the game was only going to end with a bomb!

Did you have any lag? I had some pretty severe lag issues (not unplayable, but I had to sort of guess where the meter would end up), mostly when I was pitching.

Marleyman

Banned
eznark said:
Good game dude. JJ is tough. One of those guys where if you don't get a perfectly solid shot, it's a dribbler or a pop up. I started going to all power swings halfway through because I could tell the game was only going to end with a bomb!

Did you have any lag? I had some pretty severe lag issues (not unplayable, but I had to sort of guess where the meter would end up), mostly when I was pitching.

Yeah, I was struggling with pitches going all over the place and some bad lag. I was the same way! I was swinging at garbage all game lol.

Marleyman

Banned
eznark said:

When do you want to play game 2? I get off around 6pmEST every weekday but usually can't play until around 8pmEST.

Edit: You are out of town until Friday..didn't notice that. I will play the rest of our games on Saturday if necessary.

eznark

Banned
Marleyman said:
When do you want to play game 2? I get off around 6pmEST every weekday but usually can't play until around 8pmEST.

Edit: You are out of town until Friday..didn't notice that. I will play the rest of our games on Saturday if necessary.
Should be able to get one in tonight around 8 or 9 EST?

There's no Auto Advance in the League and extra days for the 1st couple of series will be given because of real life stuff, but it you have no issues going on after the first two series are done try and get your series in the allotted time guys..

eznark

Banned
I'll always try to get my games in, I don't think I missed any in the last league. However, I think you should set a firm date and advance. If you can't get your games in you can't get them in. We're not trying to cure cancer here. It's a fun league and if we want to wait around for 10 people to each play 60 games, this league will fall apart.

War/Starhawk sucks

eznark said:
I'll always try to get my games in, I don't think I missed any in the last league. However, I think you should set a firm date and advance. If you can't get your games in you can't get them in. We're not trying to cure cancer here. It's a fun league and if we want to wait around for 10 people to each play 60 games, this league will fall apart.

War/Starhawk sucks
We have alot of new guys so I want to give them like a 1-2 series break, sending e-mails/PMs and the like. After that yeah, 1 day grace period unless they post reasons and crap then dole out the losses.

*sees spoiler*

eznark, you might as well forefeit your games against me now. You're done. I will beat you worse than Tim Duncan did to the Miami Heat.

Fun game last night KanZolo. It was a pitchers duel all the way to the 8th inning and a fastball down the center for Shane Victorino decided the game.

Game 1, Series 1
Mets - 3 - 6 - 0
Reds - 0 - 2 - 1
Final/6

What happened man? I realize you got some bad luck there with the wind-blown hits... but the Arredondo balk is due to his windup, he sets then actually moves his hand again. A few pitchers in the game do that.

LJ11

What's the deal with balking all of a sudden?

I'm not even trying to fucking throw over. Balk, balk, balk.

Choose my pitch, then hold the button to get the meter going, what I've always done, and I'm getting called for fucking balks.

Frustrating as fuck, I was going to break something if that game continued.

Edit: I had 3 balks in the game, one of which resulted in a run, and another that was going to certainly be a run.

Frank, just take the W. I wasn't going to pull a miracle and I was just frustrated at balking. Was that shit on in the last league?

LJ11 said:
What's the deal with balking all of a sudden?

I'm not even trying to fucking throw over. Balk, balk, balk.

Choose my pitch, then hold the button to get the meter going, what I've always done and I'm getting called for fucking balks.

Frustrating as fuck, I was going to break something if that game continued.
It's Arroyo and Arredondo's motion. They have weird sets where they drop their hands then keep moving. I've seen quite a few Arredondo balks online, trust me.

And dammit where you walking Davis and Wright so you could face Bay? DAMN YOU!
Edit: I had 3 balks in the game, one of which resulted in a run, and another that was going to certainly be a run.

Frank, just take the W. I wasn't going to pull a miracle and I was just frustrated at balking. Was that shit on in the last league?
Yep, Sanjuro always had balks on.

LJ11

No I was pitching to both, but I couldn't get Arroyo's fastball over. You couldn't get Johan's FB over at times either. Tight zone too.

I did throw Bay two fastballs right down the pipe, went to the side instead because Arroyo's location was off.

Hung too many sliders trying to back door guys.

Don't think it was the motion that caused the balking, must have done something after selecting my pitch. I'll hold the ball longer next time just to make sure. Think I may have double tapped X a couple of times, instead of hitting it and holding.

First time that's happened to me.

LJ11 said:
No I was pitching to both, but I couldn't get Arroyo's fastball over. You couldn't get Johan's FB over at times either. Tight zone too.

I did throw Bay two fastballs right down the pipe, went to the side instead because Arroyo's location was off.
Weird, I haven't changed a single Pitching thing except to give Relievers more Stamina (from 1 to 2). Pitching has never been a problem, it's hitting and I thought I addressed that. Probably a one-game thing... regarding Santana I feel so rusty using him, I haven't done a Offline Franchise yet (still fixing teams) and since he's on the DL I haven't used him at all.
Don't think it was the motion that caused the balking, must have done something after selecting my pitch. I'll hold the ball longer next time just to make sure. Think I may have double tapped X a couple of times, instead of hitting it and holding.

First time that's happened to me.
Wait, HOLDING? why do you need to hold? To throw over or location of the pitch? If to pitch the minute you press X the location of the pitch is locked in, you don't need to hold the analog stick.

LJ11

No, I hold the button for the meter. Instead of tapping it once to start, a second to determine movement/velocity and a third for the release point, I just hold it down to start and continue to do so until I get the velo/movement I want and then tap again for release point.

Feels more natural to me. Probably sounds confusing but it's really simple.

LJ11 said:
No, I hold the button for the meter. Instead of tapping it once to start, a second to determine movement/velocity and a third for the release point, I just hold it down to start and continue to do so until I get the velo/movement I want and then tap again for release point.

Feels more natural to me. Probably sounds confusing but it's really simple.
Ah. I'm used to the other way (all those times playing Hot Shots Golf and all). You want to play Game 2 after the Mets game post here or PM me!

KanZolo, if you need I'll PM you the exact roster info. hit me up.

LJ11

Balked in the winning run, amazing.

I couldn't even pause in the 7th inning to pick up the phone, strange bout of lag.

Edit: Lets finish this tomorrow evening Frank.

Game 2, Series 1
Mets - 3 - 7 - 0
Reds - 2 - 7 - 1
Final/6

This is the weirdest game I've ever played. Scoreless until the 6th, Jason Bay crushes a pitch I think is gone, but I hit it in death valley. So I'm like,"ok a double". Somehow Jay Bruch ran that shit down for an out... i could not believe it, I nearly screamed "FUCK".

While pausing to rant, lag huits and apparently my Pause didn't take, resulting in a leadoff hit. For no reason lag hits, bad. I've seen intermittent lag, but this was shit. I couldn't pitch, I couldn't go to the defense screen, and I start balking like crazy. Next inning I just didn't care and started swinging at everything and running, by some miracle it becomes 2-1. Homer to Phillips ties it, I get lucky when Chapman balked to score a run.

Seriously I have no idea what the fuck happened. I have never seen an instance of lag that bad this late at night.

LJ11

I turned on my torrents!

Shit happens, who knows why?

The real killer was when you had runners on first and 3rd with 1 out and Frank in all his wisdom put both runners in motion. He scorched a ball that was going up the middle, but the 2nd baseman was covering so he nabbed it but just missed the runner who was going to second. Phillips didn't reach out so I only had a play at first. Backbreaker.

turnbuckle

Just got scolded by the commish. Hey Pistol, wanna get our series in tonight? Pick a time and we'll knock em out. I won't be available this weekend, but could maybe get our games in tomorrow night too if Frankman does an extension.

Thought I posted earlier in the thread about my availability but I guess I either dreamt that or something funky happened with the server or my phone's connection/browser.

Just sent out the 1st batch of PMs for people not playing their games. Real Life is a killer and bugs us all, but you guys have to communicate to each other. That's why we have PSN ID's/PMs/etc. to contact one another. You people should Friend Invite everyone in the League so you know you can contact them if online.

Plus, I've seen a few of you new guys posting it up in Gaming... in the future if you have a problem getting your games in post in the thread. Or try to play a game early rather than late... not saying who, but I was online earlier in the week and I saw a League member wait over 2 hours for a person to log on to play a series game. Dude never showed up...

Like I said in the PMs, I'll give extensions of a couple of days for the 1st series or two. But nothing that holds up the league like what went on with me last year (which I have fixed so it never happens again).
turnbuckle said:
Just got scolded by the commish.
420x316-alg_sandy-alderson-citi-field.jpg

"It was for the good of the League..."

Marleyman

Banned
Damn eznark; I just can't help myself from swinging at your junk pitches;) This is the first time that I have played with classic controls, so I am definitely adjusting. You basically won the game on hit and run inside the park HR; I wanted to throw up when that happened lol. Michael Stanton though is swinging a big stick so far. I am down for tonight or tomorrow to play our 3rd game; let me know.

turnbuckle said:
Just got scolded by the commish. Hey Pistol, wanna get our series in tonight? Pick a time and we'll knock em out. I won't be available this weekend, but could maybe get our games in tomorrow night too if Frankman does an extension.

Thought I posted earlier in the thread about my availability but I guess I either dreamt that or something funky happened with the server or my phone's connection/browser.
I'm down to play our whole series tonight before the game. I'll let you know when I get home and we can play.

Edit: should be home by 5est

turnbuckle

pistolpete2940 said:
I'm down to play our whole series tonight before the game. I'll let you know when I get home and we can play.

Edit: should be home by 5est

If you're sure, I can leave work early and be there by 5 to knock em out too. Don't wanna leave work otherwise though :p ((well, of course i'd like to leave work otherwise lol))

Also, if anyone needs to get ahold of me outside of the forum my msn is radiohead47@hotmail.com

Alright, Corran, we'd better get this knocked out tonight. You in late this evening? I was wanting to watch the Sporting KC (soccer!) game between 9-10:30, but I'll DVR it if you don't want to wait that late. Or before is cool, too.

Also, I got notified by PSN when I tried to send you a friend request that you've already reached the maximum number. Day-am.

turnbuckle said:
Turn this balk garbage off !
Balks were on last league too! Pause before you pitch! :p then again I was a balking fool yesterday...

EDIT: Oh shit...

EDIT 2: This Opening Day game with pistolpete and turnbuckle is fucking amazing. Great pitching, aggressive stealing...

EDIT3: WOW.

turnbuckle

The Frankman said:
Balks were on last league too! Pause before you pitch! :p then again I was a balking fool yesterday...

EDIT: Oh shit...

EDIT 2: This Opening Day game with pistolpete and turnbuckle is fucking amazing. Great pitching, aggressive stealing...

EDIT3: WOW.

I got saved by the balks. Cost me 1 run, cost Pete 2.

Anywho, great game pistol. You had me off balance the entire game.

Maggs put in his rightful place legging out an infield single. :(

lol good game turn, the balks were totally my fault though, I knew what I was doing wrong and I just kept doing it lol. Like a fool I tried to pick up a phone call and I put the controller down on the L2 trigger on that double steal, RAAAAGE, figured I was done after that. Whenever you're ready for the next one let me know.

Oh and one thing that has me confused. On two out counts I usually take a bigger lead because the fielder isn't holding me back anymore, but it still cost me like 4 times :/

turnbuckle

pistolpete2940 said:
lol good game turn, the balks were totally my fault though, I knew what I was doing wrong and I just kept doing it lol. Like a fool I tried to pick up a phone call and I put the controller down on the L2 trigger on that double steal, RAAAAGE, figured I was done after that. Whenever you're ready for the next one let me know.

Oh and one thing that has me confused. On two out counts I usually take a bigger lead because the fielder isn't holding me back anymore, but it still cost me like 4 times :/
Ahh thought I lost ya to the yankees game. At the gym now, available at 10pm tonight or or 5pm tomorrow.

Fuck this game. Fucking balks gave KanZolo two runs.

Lag was exceptional too, always spiked right when the ball was entering the batters box.

+1 for 2k11

Edit: Maggs hurt? What a surprise.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Duane Cunningham said:
Alright, Corran, we'd better get this knocked out tonight. You in late this evening? I was wanting to watch the Sporting KC (soccer!) game between 9-10:30, but I'll DVR it if you don't want to wait that late. Or before is cool, too.

Also, I got notified by PSN when I tried to send you a friend request that you've already reached the maximum number. Day-am.
I should be on, just send me a PM on gaf when your ready.

Top Bottom