• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official MLB 13: The Show Online League Thread

turnbuckle

I really want to give it one more shot because you know, third times the charm!

I just think with the NFL / Madden season coming and next gen consoles on the way that it might be less likely to get some of us to commit to another round. I'd certainly be up for it, but having people quit or be consistently unavailable takes the wind from the sails pretty quick.

I don't think it helps that community threads without a ton of activity are quick to get knocked down to page 2 or 3. It's easy to miss a post that way and easy to feel like nobody is interested if you subscribe to the thread and notice no new activity for days at a time.

But if anything can be cobbled together I'd be down so long as there's some forced auto advancement. I do think auto advancing kinda takes the fun and responsibility of the players out a bit, but it seems a better alternative than having progression held up by an individual. A flex schedule where anyone can play anyone else so long as there are still games available in their season series would be nice, that way we're not in a situation where one person is online hoping to play their next opponent on the schedule and another player is doing the same, yet neither of those players are able to play each other.

In a perfect world we could have an imbalanced schedule where players of a specific time zone or certain schedule could have more games scheduled against a team with a similar time zone or schedule. If a few of us are generally available around 8-11pm week days, unavailable on weekends while a few of us are only available an hour here or there on a week day but all day on weekends you can run into a wall where everyone feels like they're the one waiting on the other guy when in reality both people are waiting on each other. Maybe have divisions set up, divided by players' general expected schedule?

Also, I think in the event that a player quits a league, all games that every person in the league had or will have against that player should be overwritten to become a victory (unless there's a way to nullify that game altogether). Giving free wins to some teams and not to others creates an imbalance. Of course, this would also create an imbalance if we didn't have a balanced schedule, but if playoffs are set by division and each team in that division has the same number of games against the team that quit then that problem would correct itself...though it could make the wild card situation messy.

Goddammit nevermind, I don't have any good ideas lol. I just wish it could be as simple as hopping on the game, choosing GAF League 3.0, and playing right away :p

Well I threw this idea out to Zep, to do a 6 player fantasy-drafted league. Yes, we'd have stacked teams and the greatest farm system of all time, but it's actually pretty fun and I think we have 6 dedicated enough folks. Maybe a season with flex series? (lol don't know if possible)
Draft on Sunday afternoon at 4 ET/3CT/2MT/1PT. WHAT SAY YOU ALL

turnbuckle

Well I threw this idea out to Zep, to do a 6 player fantasy-drafted league. Yes, we'd have stacked teams and the greatest farm system of all time, but it's actually pretty fun and I think we have 6 dedicated enough folks. Maybe a season with flex series? (lol don't know if possible)
Draft on Sunday afternoon at 4 ET/3CT/2MT/1PT. WHAT SAY YOU ALL

I think that'd be fun, but it'd really suck playing against analog hitters on All-Star difficulty with a stacked team! About the only way to strike out someone would be if they swing at balls way way out of the zone or if they get caught looking.

But I wouldn't object! It'd be really cool to see teams that look different than what we're used to. However it pans out I think I'd be cool with it so long as the rest are committed as well.

-edit-

I'm not going to be home at all Saturday or Sunday; I could do a Monday draft or at the same time you posted but on the following Sunday.

I think that'd be fun, but it'd really suck playing against analog hitters on All-Star difficulty with a stacked team! About the only way to strike out someone would be if they swing at balls way way out of the zone or if they get caught looking.

But I wouldn't object! It'd be really cool to see teams that look different than what we're used to. However it pans out I think I'd be cool with it so long as the rest are committed as well.

I do this with a friend (who has been trying to get on GAF forever) and with the elite pitching you have it isn't too terrible

Zep

Banned
We could make our own rules? Like only a certain amount of 90+ rated players. Like...6 on each team and you decide what combination you want (2 aces-4 hitters, 3 aces-3 hitters, etc.,) Everything else would be fair game.

turnbuckle

I do this with a friend (who has been trying to get on GAF forever) and with the elite pitching you have it isn't too terrible

haha, well, Diamond Dynasty is set to All-Star difficulty and I can have players with 99 K rating and other excellent attributes struggle to strike out more than 3-4 batters a game against a bad player with a stacked team when they use analog hitting.

I can often strike out 10-15 batters a game when they use the regular zone hitting in a similar situation. That's not necessarily realistic either, but I'm talking about when playing against below average players. Against good players using Zone I typically range between 4-10 Ks.

On Hall of Fame it's quite a bit more balanced, but analog hitters still have an advantage of they have good patience and timing.

Here's a recent thread, and there are dozens more talking about the same thing.

Advice on how to pitch analog hitters?

We could make our own rules? Like only a certain amount of 90+ rated players. Like...6 on each team and you decide what combination you want (2 aces-4 hitters, 3 aces-3 hitters, etc.,) Everything else would be fair game.

That sounds fair. How would the draft order work? Like, alternating pick order? (i.e. whomever gets pick #1 in the first round gets the last pick in the second, first in the third, last in the fourth, etc?)

37 SP Stephen Strasburg R-R 24 220 6'4" 99
34 SP Felix Hernandez R-R 26 230 6'3" 99
14 SP David Price L-L 27 220 6'6" 97
54 SP C.C. Sabathia L-L 32 290 6'7" 96
58 CP Jonathan Papelbon R-R 32 225 6'4" 95
29 CP Rafael Soriano R-R 33 230 6'1" 91
47 SP Gio Gonzalez R-L 27 200 6'0" 90
43 SP R.A. Dickey R-R 38 215 6'2" 88
57 SP Johan Santana L-L 33 210 6'0" 88
17 SP Jose Fernandez R-R 20 240 6'2" 86
61 SP Josh Beckett R-R 32 225 6'5" 85

25 2B Robinson Cano L-R 30 210 6'0" 99
23 1B Adrian Gonzalez L-L 30 225 6'2" 95
7 SS Jose Reyes S-R 29 195 6'1" 95
3 1B Corey Hart R-R 30 235 6'6" 94
35 1B David Ortiz L-L 37 250 6'4" 94
13 3B Manny Machado R-R 20 185 6'3" 90
41 C Carlos Santana S-R 26 210 5'11" 89
16 C Brian McCann L-R 29 230 6'3" 88
15 3B Alex Rodriguez R-R 37 225 6'3" 88

27 RF Giancarlo Stanton R-R 23 240 6'6" 95
52 LF Yoenis Cespedes R-R 27 210 5'10" 93
66 RF Yasiel Puig R-R 22 245 6'3" 92
31 RF Ichiro Suzuki L-R 39 170 5'11" 89
38 RF Mike Morse R-R 30 245 6'5" 86

36 CP Steve Cishek R-R 26 215 6'6" 92
45 CP Joe Nathan R-R 38 230 6'4" 91
33 RF Josh Hamilton L-L 31 225 6'4" 89
40 SP C.J. Wilson L-L 32 210 6'1" 89
44 CP Jose Veras R-R 32 240 6'6" 89
55 SP Hector Santiago R-L 25 210 6'0" 88
11 CF Brett Gardner L-L 29 185 5'10" 88
28 2B Jose Altuve R-R 22 175 5'5" 86
99 SP Hyun Jin Ryu R-L 25 215 6'2" 85
21 SS Ian Desmond R-R 27 205 6'2" 84
48 RP Boone Logan R-L 28 215 6'5" 83
26 LF Carl Crawford L-L 31 215 6'2" 83
5 CF Ben Revere L-R 24 170 5'9" 82
18 3B Kyle Seager L-R 25 215 6'0" 82
22 CF Justin Ruggiano R-R 30 210 6'1" 81

This is my full 40 man roster in that league if you guys want any idea

In 5 games I've had with my friend neither the scores neither of us has scored more than 10 and both of us have had 1 and 2 run games

turnbuckle

Im down for this

<3

Hopefully Ph33nix and I can get our series done by tomorrow. I'm not going to be available at all Saturday or Sunday though, so if I somehow advance in the playoffs I think I could get my games in on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday (if necessary).

Ph33nix, you just have to beat me so my poor weekend scheduling doesn't become an issue lol. Or let me sweep you, that works too!

If I'm reading it right, the winner of the Rockies/Angels series plays the winner of the Tigers/Rangers series.

Ecnal taking that team to the playoffs is very impressive.
I feel bad that I'm in, my last several games were simmed and don't feel that I really deserve to be in the post season. Kind of like the 2009 Minnesota Twins. Unlike that team, I don't plan on getting swept in the first round :p

<3

Hopefully Ph33nix and I can get our series done by tomorrow. I'm not going to be available at all Saturday or Sunday though, so if I somehow advance in the playoffs I think I could get my games in on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday (if necessary).

Ph33nix, you just have to beat me so my poor weekend scheduling doesn't become an issue lol. Or let me sweep you, that works too!

Let's tackle for 2 tonight, 3 tomorrow (if necessary). See you at 9 CT

turnbuckle

man, my pitching meter is acting all kinds of dumb. the first part of meter behaving as if I pressed the x button to pick velocity when I didn't. causing me to wild pitch like mad

turnbuckle

sigh, this is nearly unplayable. I must have thrown 25 wild pitches

and I'm certain most of the runs I scored were from lag affecting pheenix.

yeah after this let's continue tomorrow. no big deal if we don't finish the series by the weekend

gg regardless. had several opportunities to turn the corner but i couldn't

aj pierzynski pls ;_;

that was like

the best game ever

and the worst game ever

that was the most undeserving rally of all time lol

let's hope tomorrow's isn't so laggy...

turnbuckle

all those wild pitches and I didn't even hit a batter I don't think. I'm going to punish myself by drinking a bottle my roommates Miller light. I'll save the rest of my good stuff for tomorrow lol

turnbuckle

sorry for being MIA the last week or two, dudes.

i'm back, though, if the league is still goin!

LOL, I think you're in the playoffs. You snuck in there the same way I did!

Crossing my fingers that the lag issue doesn't creep up again tonight. Ph33nix was spot on when he said it was the best and worst game ever.

The kind of game I would absolutely love to witness in person in real life. The stuff that legends are made of. bad legends, terrible legends, but legendary nonetheless. Ph33nix was more clutch than David Freese; I less so than Jose Valverde. If I had put him in the game last night I think it'd cause some type of catastrophe in real life.

424276_t607.JPG

how many games are you planning to have, pheenix?

Somewhere between 15-30? That's my guesstimate

Figure if we have 6 teams, play each other team one or two times in a series...that's somewhere between 15-30.

and yes I do think if we have our core 6 we could probably do series

well if you want to do it, you're in! but will you be available? you've been around in the past as much as everyone else

I imagine I'll be around as much as ever. I know there's been a day or three when someone was around to play in the evening and I've either overslept or had to hurry to work depending on work load.

Top Bottom