• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Motorsports Thread of 2013 (MotoGP, WRC, Le Mans, Nascar, IRL, V8's etc)

Arucardo

Can't wait for Moto2 and the GP class races, only an hour to go. Don't care much for Moto3 anymore these days since there's no riders in it that I'm interested in following.

thefro

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/106551

Ryan Hunter-Reay survived a late challenge from Will Power to claim pole position for this weekend's IndyCar race at Barber Motorsports Park.

In a drama-filled session, the reigning champion moved to the top late in the 'Fast Six' with a best lap of 1m07.0871s, but then had to watch as Power squeezed in one final flying lap.

The Australian's efforts fell short though, and he was forced to settle for second with a time 0.2s down on Hunter-Reay's.

"We just kept progressing and we knew where we needed to work on it," Hunter-Reay said.

Rookie Tristan Vautier did a remarkable job to qualify third, considering that he didn't even know that he had progressed to the final round of qualifying until it was just about to start.
DBF3WQm.jpg

IndyCar race in Barber starting shortly... interesting grid today... Vautier's qualified extremely well again. Looking forward to seeing how Allmendinger does in his return to open wheel.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
No wonder Rossi is back, Ducati was hardly competitive. Even Hayden would won on Yamaha lol

I hope that Honda get back in the form, so that Yamaha would not dominate again.

Seanspeed

Banned
Even Hayden would won on Yamaha lol
Not if he had Lorenzo or Rossi as a teammate.

I hope that Honda get back in the form, so that Yamaha would not dominate again.
Honda have a hell of a bike right now. This just isn't the best track for them. You spend most of the Qatar lap leaned over in a curve, which is where the Yamaha has the advantage. As soon as you get to places where there's more straights and point&squirt sections, you'll see the Honda dominate with its acceleration and straightline pace advantage, I guarantee.

And really, Yamaha and Honda haven't been that far off the past 5 years or so. Honda suffered a few years because of Pedrosa being injured a lot, but the bike was fine. 2011 Honda had the clear best bike. After that, its mainly down to the riders and consistency.

Business

And really, Yamaha and Honda haven't been that far off the past 5 years or so.

Agree, and if anything Honda was the better bike last season even if Lorenzo won thanks to being more consistent.

Yesterday the Hondas couldn't be very inferior if a rookie in his first race, even if it's a huge talent like Marquez, was fighting with Rossi and ended 7 seconds behind the winner. If anything Pedrosa underperformed.

Arucardo

Agree, and if anything Honda was the better bike last season even if Lorenzo won thanks to being more consistent.

Yesterday the Hondas couldn't be very inferior if a rookie in his first race, even if it's a huge talent like Marquez, was fighting with Rossi and ended 7 seconds behind the winner. If anything Pedrosa underperformed.

After all the crashing Lorenzo did when he first started in the GP class he's become scarily consistent nowadays. If Rossi hadn't made that mistake early on (almost hitting Pedrosa) we might have seen another showdown between him and Lorenzo.

TylerD

Pricing details announced for V8 Supercars SuperView streaming service:

V8 Supercar fans are now able to watch all of the action from every race during the Championship season, live and ad free with the newly unveiled streaming service V8SuperView.

Tens of thousands of motorsports fans around the world have already trialed V8SuperView during its test phase at the Clipsal 500 Adelaide and Tasmania Microsoft Office 365. Fans will have another opportunity to try the digital streaming product for free this weekend, during the ITM 400 Auckland (12-14 April 2013), before it becomes a subscription based service from the Chill Perth 360 (3-5 May 2013).

Two package options are available, with the full portfolio including every Championship and Dunlop Series race, in which former MotoGP World Champion Casey Stoner is cutting his teeth against some of the best up and coming V8 Supercar drivers.

"I encourage fans to head to v8supercars.com.au and watch the world's best touring car races on V8SuperView. Each race is streamed live in high quality with no ad breaks, which of course means non-stop commentary and action," V8 Supercar CEO David Malone said.

"Now we are in full control of our digital rights we can offer fans this amazing new service at a fantastic rate. For a 2013 season pass our fans will pay just $49.95 for the V8 Supercar and Dunlop Series bundle. That is less than five dollars for every event this year, which is incredible value for money.

"It means fans around the world and those on the go can watch both Championships live, including Casey Stoner's debut season in the Dunlop Series. It's also a fantastic complement to the outstanding V8 Supercars coverage on the Seven Network and Speed Channel in Australia and that of our broadcast partners worldwide."

Hosted by V8 Supercar presenter Riana Crehan with a pre-race show exclusive to V8SuperView subscribers, the live stream includes full coverage and commentary from anchors Neil Crompton, Matthew White, Mark Skaife and Aaron Noonan.

V8SuperView is available on personal computers, tablets and mobile phones and is currently browser based. The online video platform provider Brightcove (NASDAQ:BCOV) is a leading global provider of cloud content services. V8 Supercars is also leveraging Brightcove's Zencoder Live Cloud Transcoding service, an open API for live video encoding in the cloud.

"Brightcove is thrilled to be partnering with V8 Supercars," said Mark Blair, Vice President of Media Solutions, Asia-Pacific at Brightcove. "The Zencoder Live Cloud Transcoding Service is greatly reducing the complexity required for the organisation to launch a live subscription video service for V8 Supercar fans around the world."

V8SuperView subscriptions are priced as below:

- Yearly pass, per season Championship Pass (Includes all 2013 qualifying, top ten shootout, Championship Series races and full race replays) $39.95
- Dunlop Series Pass (Includes all 2013 races) $14.95
- Bundle Pass (Includes both Series) $49.95

For further information, visit v8superview.com.

I think $39.95 AU ($42.15 USD) is pretty reasonable but there are still other streaming options out there that have the ad free feeds.

Shaneus

I think $39.95 AU ($42.15 USD) is pretty reasonable but there are still other streaming options out there that have the ad free feeds.
Now why the hell can't we have anything like that for F1 (for viewers outside the UK)? Ridiculous.

Dead Man

Better than I was fearing, not as good as I was hoping. I would have liked if they just kept last years arrangement of just rebroadcasting through their site for free, but oh well. I wonder how many people in Australia will use it since we can watch for free anyway.

Making a separate pre race show with a pretty young thing seems a bit redundant, I mean Crompton is as pretty as anyone needs ;)

Still, should be a good race this weekend, NZ always turns on a good show regardless of where the race is, Pukekohe in particular has had some amazing races over the years. And of course, this big mess from 2005: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzyesPX7fes

Now why the hell can't we have anything like that for F1 (for viewers outside the UK)? Ridiculous.

Because internationally Bernie does a shit job at managing media rights, he just wants maximum money, and locally, 10 are useless wankers. :(

TylerD

Better than I was fearing, not as good as I was hoping. I would have liked if they just kept last years arrangement of just rebroadcasting through their site for free, but oh well. I wonder how many people in Australia will use it since we can watch for free anyway.

Making a separate pre race show with a pretty young thing seems a bit redundant, I mean Crompton is as pretty as anyone needs ;)

Still, should be a good race this weekend, NZ always turns on a good show regardless of where the race is, Pukekohe in particular has had some amazing races over the years. And of course, this big mess from 2005: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzyesPX7fes

Yeah Crompton is pretty fetching and the chick that handles the pre-race stuff... the first time I saw her, oh look eye candy. Definitely the primary reason to have her. Pukekohe looks like a proper V8 Supercars track. There is some brilliance in the simplicity of tracks like Symmons Plains and Pukekohe.

moojito

For a new follower of nascar, I'm having real trouble finding out when the races are. I went onto the nascar site to find out when the nationwide race was tonight, or if it was a truck race instead, like last week. Couldn't find anything there, so I check reddit. Turns out the nationwide race was last night! And the sprint cup race is half past midnight tonight (in the uk). It's going to be tough staying up for the sprint cup race and then getting up before 8am for the f1. Good thing I have some new grade 5 coffee in the machine!

B.K.

NASCAR caught the 2 and 22 trying to cheat.

Sprint Cup champion #2-Brad Keselowski, teammate #22-Joey Logano and their Penske Racing teams face potential penalties as NASCAR confiscated rear-end housing parts and pieces from their cars during prerace inspection Saturday at Texas Motor Speedways. The teams frantically worked to replace the pieces an hour prior to the scheduled start of the NRA 500. "We're taking (rear-end) housing and some other things. & It's a group of pieces that surrounds the rear suspension area," NASCAR Vice President of Competition Robin Pemberton said. "It's just something that is not in the spirit of the rules." Pemberton said the sanctioning body would not eject the crew chiefs from the speedways and the drivers would keep their starting positions for the race Saturday night.

Dead Man

Glad the V8 supercars app is free this weekend, local football game is on 3 channels, V8's relegated to a highlight show at midnight. Wankers.

TylerD

Glad the V8 supercars app is free this weekend, local football game is on 3 channels, V8's relegated to a highlight show at midnight. Wankers.

Been a fun weekend so far. Ready for the next 2 races. :D

Frosty mad!

-----

Grr, too much safety car.

Dead Man

Been a fun weekend so far. Ready for the next 2 races. :D

Frosty mad!

-----

Grr, too much safety car.

Yep. I do love this track, so simple, but really good to watch. In other good news, an Aussie channel has the Sprint Cup almost live today.

For a new follower of nascar, I'm having real trouble finding out when the races are. I went onto the nascar site to find out when the nationwide race was tonight, or if it was a truck race instead, like last week. Couldn't find anything there, so I check reddit. Turns out the nationwide race was last night! And the sprint cup race is half past midnight tonight (in the uk). It's going to be tough staying up for the sprint cup race and then getting up before 8am for the f1. Good thing I have some new grade 5 coffee in the machine!

www.jayski.com makes it pretty easy to tell when the races are. They actually have a countdown to every week's race! They also have the approximate green flag time instead of the bs TV coverage start time that other websites generally have. It's also probably the premier NASCAR news site.

TylerD

What did I miss?!?

Very eventful race. On the 4th safety car and going to hit the time limit.

Whincup, early on dove inside Frosty knocking his steering out of whack basically returning the favor from the reverse that happened in the previous race. Whincup had his foot slip off the brake pedal and beached himself later on. Lots more action everywhere else on the track and it is going to end with FPR and Will Davison winning.

Highly recommend watching a replay of this one.

Shaneus

Yeah, I'll have to find out when/if it's going to re-air on TV here.

Fascinating bit of info, with this the first Ford win in 9 years, the last being Marcos Ambrose. Long time between drinks :/

Ah, that's great. Jason Richards memorial trophy :)

Hell yeah, shout out to Ford fans :D

BTW I think I'm enjoying the V8s more this year than the past few... it definitely feels less bogan than other years, but I can't explain why (I doubt it's because of the Merc/Nissan entries).

Edit: Huh, there's something Nascar on one of our channels here that's "live". Says "NRA500" on the ground. Is that actually *live* live?

TylerD

Here is the circuit that the V8s will run in Austin.

AUSTIN_400_MERGED_LOGO--2-.jpg

Austin’s Australian V8 Supercars round will be called the Austin 400 and will consist of four 62-mile (100-kilometer) races on a 2.3-mile section of the Southeast Austin circuit, officials announced Wednesday.
The races are scheduled for May 17-19, with two races each on Saturday and Sunday, with a qualifying session each morning, officials said.

There will be Porsche GT3 Cup West and Pirelli World Challenge support series as well.

Tickets are $69 for general admission with reserved seating starting at $89. On-site parking is $60 for 3 days. Children younger than 12 will be admitted free with a parent or guardian.

---------

I hope there is a nice turnout. They are expecting around 84,000 over the 3 days with around 45,000 on Sunday.

TylerD

Yeah, I'll have to find out when/if it's going to re-air on TV here.

Fascinating bit of info, with this the first Ford win in 9 years, the last being Marcos Ambrose. Long time between drinks :/

Ah, that's great. Jason Richards memorial trophy :)

Hell yeah, shout out to Ford fans :D

BTW I think I'm enjoying the V8s more this year than the past few... it definitely feels less bogan than other years, but I can't explain why (I doubt it's because of the Merc/Nissan entries).

Edit: Huh, there's something Nascar on one of our channels here that's "live". Says "NRA500" on the ground. Is that actually *live* live?

Yep, it is the NRA "National Rifle Association" 500. Live with 52 laps to go.

Chris R

Good, they are running the circuit I'd like to see NASCAR run some time.

edit: $60 for parking? FUCK THAT SHIT! Ugh, should be included with the ticket :| One thing NASCAR did right at least, even if I had to walk 2 miles to get to the track in Phoenix.

Texas race with about an hour or so left, decent race so far (other than JPM being JPM :<)

Shaneus

Yep, it is the NRA "National Rifle Association" 500. Live with 52 laps to go.
Holy shit. I'm actually surprised that "live" literally means LIVE. 45 laps to go now. Shame what happened to Ambrose.

And I have to say... I think I'm starting to appreciate NASCAR oval racing. It's probably been described to me this way before, but it's very much like a marathon-length run around a stadium track at the Olympics.

Two questions: Are the cars in NASCAR as closely specced (to the point of being essentially identical, save for car setups) as the V8 Supercars?

Are the Indycar/Champ car (or whatever it's called now) oval races as interesting to watch/have the same appeal?

B.K.

Did the flagger just screw up the end of the race? I'm pretty sure the counter said 2 to go when he put out the white flag.

Chris R

Did the flagger just screw up the end of the race? I'm pretty sure the counter said 2 to go when he put out the white flag.

More likely Fox screwed it up. Pretty good race, just don't like who won it (can't say that he didn't deserve it though, he was hot both series all weekend long)

Truck race tomorrow though :D

edit: $60 for parking? FUCK THAT SHIT! Ugh, should be included with the ticket :| One thing NASCAR did right at least, even if I had to walk 2 miles to get to the track in Phoenix.

Texas race with about an hour or so left, decent race so far (other than JPM being JPM :<)
COTA is pretty unlikely for NASCAR I think, seeing as (thanks to the ALMS purchase) they own almost every other relevant American circuit, and AFAIK still don't have plans to use them.

Road America should have a Cup date already, but it doesn't. Throw in Sebring, Road Atlanta, etc ... Too busy going to lame Charlotte/Michigan clones to add more real tracks to the schedule.
The Texas dates, i.e. this weekend, rightfully belong to North Wilkesboro. Never forget!

Pocono has free parking :D

B.K.

Road America should have a Cup date already, but it doesn't. Throw in Sebring, Road Atlanta, etc ... Too busy going to lame Charlotte/Michigan clones to add more real tracks to the schedule.
The Texas dates, i.e. this weekend, rightfully belong to North Wilkesboro. Never forget!

Blame Bruton Smith! I really hope that bastard doesn't get voted into the Hall of Fame this year, but I'm sure he will. He has enough money to buy the votes.

Chris R

Oh I know NASCAR won't be racing at cota any time soon, just saying if they did it would need to be on the shorter course. But who knows, the nationwide series might be there in a few years.

TylerD

Fitting win and it is pretty clear that RBR Australia don't quite have this car figured out yet. Take your time boys! ;)

Shaneus

RIP Jason Richards :(

Edit: That's so weird, I don't think I've ever seen anyone take off glasses before taking off their helmet. For some reason I thought that no motorsport drivers wore glasses at all. Gives me hope ;)

Top Bottom