• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Motorsports Thread of 2013 (MotoGP, WRC, Le Mans, Nascar, IRL, V8's etc)

B.K.

Just saw the replay. That was a pretty hard hit for Hamlin. It's a good thing they're off next weekend.

Dead Man

So can someone explain to a NASCAR fan about the no re-fueling thing in F1. I just read about how they banned it a few years ago. I assume the cars can hold enough for an entire race? How much do they hold, how long are the races, etc.

That seems so weird to me to have a race without re-fueling.

Refueling was banned after the 1983 season, then reintroduced in 1994. It was banned again in 2010 for safety reasons.

Formula one used a fixed refuelling rig, lots of time drivers were leaving before it was disengaged properly. Nobody was really badly burned, but the powers that be decided it was not worth taking the chance.

Another consideration was the complaints from the fans that drivers were not attacking enough, and were only overtaking cars during pit stops and using fuel strategies to avoid having to pass on the track.

Fuel tanks are 150 litres or so, so about 37.5 gallons. The cars don't maintain full throttle as long as NASCAR, or drive as far, so this gets them through a race.

Yes! That Tony Stewart interview! When the hell did Fontana turn into Bristol?

Haha that interview was priceless. I had a feeling it was something like that when they first mentioned it, but didn't show it.

I love how we get gems like this because the reporters think it's a smart idea to interview an extremely pissed off driver.

Seanspeed

Banned
So can someone explain to a NASCAR fan about the no re-fueling thing in F1. I just read about how they banned it a few years ago. I assume the cars can hold enough for an entire race? How much do they hold, how long are the races, etc.

That seems so weird to me to have a race without re-fueling.
Its fantastic and takes out a needless part of the spectacle.

They hold about 150kg of fuel from the start and only pit for tires. It means less pitstops refueling incidents ruining driver's races, its safer in the pitlane as there's no chance of fuel being splattered all over the place and it makes for a better engineering challenge as you have to make a car that is good at high fuel as well as on very low fuel.

I like how it affects strategy, too. Everybody is always on the same fuel level, so everytime you come in for fresh tires, you are much faster than before as you've burned off 'x' amount of fuel. The cars get faster and faster throughout the race and there's various ways you can use pitstops to your advantage.

Races are about 1.5 to 2 hours long or about 300km on average.

Fuel tanks are 150 litres or so, so about 37.5 gallons
150kg or 330lbs of fuel

At 6lbs/gallon, its about 55 gallons or so.

B.K.

That podium thing Fox just showed was HILARIOUS. Kurt Busch finished 3rd, but they never expected him to finish that high in any race this season, so instead of having footage of him celebrating, like they did for Kyle and Jr., they just had a still photo of Kurt.

Dead Man

Its fantastic and takes out a needless part of the spectacle.

They hold about 150kg of fuel from the start and only pit for tires. It means less pitstops refueling incidents ruining driver's races, its safer in the pitlane as there's no chance of fuel being splattered all over the place and it makes for a better engineering challenge as you have to make a car that is good at high fuel as well as on very low fuel.

I like how it affects strategy, too. Everybody is always on the same fuel level, so everytime you come in for fresh tires, you are much faster than before as you've burned off 'x' amount of fuel. The cars get faster and faster throughout the race and there's various ways you can use pitstops to your advantage.

150kg or 330lbs of fuel

At 6lbs/gallon, its about 55 gallons or so.

Really? RedBull quote 150 litres.

That podium thing Fox just showed was HILARIOUS. Kurt Busch finished 3rd, but they never expected him to finish that high in any race this season, so instead of having footage of him celebrating, like they did for Kyle and Jr., they just had a still photo of Kurt.

"Wait, Dave Blaney finished 3rd? SHIT."

Seanspeed

Banned
Really? RedBull quote 150 litres.

Thats gotta be an error. I know the Renault engine is efficient, but not THAT efficient!

Just double-checking and F1 engines use about 75L every 100km. So about 225L(59 gallons) in total. Most teams probably run slightly under that weight for performance reasons and the chance of a safety car.

EDIT: I think in 2014 with the new engines, they'll be around 150L or so, though. That might be what you were looking at.

Dead Man

Thats gotta be an error. I know the Renault engine is efficient, but not THAT efficient!

Just double-checking and F1 engines use about 75L every 100km. So about 225L(59 gallons) in total. Most teams probably run slightly under that weight for performance reasons and the chance of a safety car.

EDIT: I think in 2014 with the new engines, they'll be around 150L or so, though. That might be what you were looking at.

It's for the 2012 spec car: http://www.redbull.com.au/cs/Satell...lian-F1-Grand-Prix,-Melbourne-021243176904336

It is PR fluff though, could easily be wrong.

TylerD

It is obvious that the Furniture Row team is not bad and Kurt is more than capable of producing good results. I still think that is one of the best paint schemes in Sprint Cup.

Seanspeed

Banned
It's for the 2012 spec car: http://www.redbull.com.au/cs/Satell...lian-F1-Grand-Prix,-Melbourne-021243176904336

It is PR fluff though, could easily be wrong.
Yea, here's an article by Mark Gillan(ex-Williams engineer) about 2013 pre-season testing, so its up to date, where he mentions 140kg(308lbs) as full tanks:

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2013/...inters-and-trends-from-first-f1-test-of-2013/

For NASCAR fans, to put that in perspective, F1 cars weight about 1400lbs with driver, no fuel. Filled up, they weigh 1700lbs. Thats a 22% difference in weight they go through from start of a race to finish. Thats the equivalent of a Gen 6 car starting the race at 4000lbs.

Dead Man

Yea, here's an article by Mark Gillan(ex-Williams engineer) about 2013 pre-season testing, so its up to date, where he mentions 140kg(308lbs) as full tanks:

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2013/...inters-and-trends-from-first-f1-test-of-2013/

For NASCAR fans, to put that in perspective, F1 cars weight about 1400lbs with driver, no fuel. Filled up, they weigh 1700lbs. Thats a 22% difference in weight they go through from start of a race to finish. Thats the equivalent of a Gen 6 car starting the race at 4000lbs.

Fair enough.

unconfirmed word says Hamlin apparently re-aggravated the back injury he had previously. Would explain why he went down after getting out of the car, but glad it's not worse.

B.K.

NASCAR needs to mandate tracks to install SAFER barriers on the inside walls of the tracks, if they want to keep their races. Hamlin probably wouldn't be in the hospital if there had been a SAFER barrier where he hit.

Chris R

NASCAR needs to mandate tracks to install SAFER barriers on the inside walls of the tracks, if they want to keep their races. Hamlin probably wouldn't be in the hospital if there had been a SAFER barrier where he hit.

Yep, even worse that the wall is on a slope too instead of level with everything else.

Great race, even if I don't care for the winner :p NASCAR better not issue any fines or warnings about the racing today.

edit: just realized that next race is Martinsville... going to be sooooooo good with everyone pissed at everyone else!

TylerD

Yep, even worse that the wall is on a slope too instead of level with everything else.

Great race, even if I don't care for the winner :p NASCAR better not issue any fines or warnings about the racing today.

edit: just realized that next race is Martinsville... going to be sooooooo good with everyone pissed at everyone else!

Yeah, I think Hamlin (if he is back) will have a vendetta at Martinsville.

dubc35

I'll put this in here since I despise the automotive discussion thread, lol.

Classic Cars Original Graphics Ceramic Coasters

il_570xN.412453945_mvyi.jpg

Scottify

GRAND-AM, IMSA, DTM Announce Technical License/Cooperation Agreement
Organizations aligned toward common goal of North American version of DTM.

IMSA/Grand-Am/DTM Announcement

Very interesting, a North American version of DTM could be cool, though I wonder why they wouldn't just integrate it into the new series.

B.K.

Denny Hamlin may miss up to six weeks. Looks like he won't make the Chase this year.

Edit: That's six counting this off week. He's going to miss at least five races. Then he'll be reevaluated.

Denny Hamlin may miss up to six weeks. Looks like he won't make the Chase this year.

Edit: That's six counting this off week. He's going to miss at least five races. Then he'll be reevaluated.

It's still possible cause of the wildcard.

And it could also be possible on points still too cause Kyle Busch blew 5 engines last year and was involved in the early spring bristol crash, giving him finishes in the high 30s and he just barely ended up missing the chase.

I feel really bad for Hamlin, but I also wonder who is gonna be driving the 11 car now these next few weeks.

B.K.

I doubt he could make it with the wild card or on points. To quality for the wild card, a driver has to be in the top 20 in points. Missing at least five races is five races that he'll get 0 points. That's going to be impossible to come back from with the new points system.

I doubt he could make it with the wild card or on points. To quality for the wild card, a driver has to be in the top 20 in points. Missing at least five races is five races that he'll get 0 points. That's going to be impossible to come back from with the new points system.

I think it's possible for sure as long as he has a good year when he comes back. If you go by last years standings, he'd only have to average 28 points a race for the whole year (counting the 0 points for 5 races) to get the wild card. 28 points is 16th place, without any bonus points, so it's definitely possible, like the way rowdy raced last season.

B.K.

We'll see. I don't think he'll do as good as he used to when he comes back. I think he'll be a bit scared of getting hurt again and race a bit more conservatively. One more good injury and his career will be over.

We'll see. I don't think he'll do as good as he used to when he comes back. I think he'll be a bit scared of getting hurt again and race a bit more conservatively. One more good injury and his career will be over.

He did it to himself cause he went to hit Logano back after they made contact. Who knows what his performance will be like when he comes back, but I would think he's done with purposely trying to wreck people now.

I'm still extremely curious who his replacement will be. Can't he get in on owners points or something too? Like how Mark Martin can make the chase even though he doesn't do every race.

As there are no conflicts between Cup/Nationwide for the next 5 races, I'm fairly confident they'll put Elliot Sadler in Hamlin's car. Vickers is a JGR driver also, but he's scheduled to drive for MWR at Martinsville. Sadler has been itching to prove himself again at the Cup level, but in a competitive ride. 5 weeks in the 11 car would be a pretty good litmus test.

B.K.

I'm still extremely curious who his replacement will be. Can't he get in on owners points or something too?

The replacement next week will likely be Elliot Sadler. Brian Vickers is already scheduled to run Martinsville for MWR. The Chase is determined by driver's points, not owner's points.

B.K.

That's unexpected. Everyone thought that Elliot Sadler would replace Hamlin while he's out, but Joe Gibbs Racing just put out a press release announcing Mark Martin as the replacement.

That's unexpected. Everyone thought that Elliot Sadler would replace Hamlin while he's out, but Joe Gibbs Racing just put out a press release announcing Mark Martin as the replacement.

I'm getting really annoyed with Mark Martin filling in for every damn team. I understand why teams would choose him over others, but Mark Martin is really hurting a lot of people's chances to get their chance with decent rides.

Top Bottom