• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Motorsports Thread of 2013 (MotoGP, WRC, Le Mans, Nascar, IRL, V8's etc)

Spades

LET'S GO JV!

51jacques_villeneuve_tagheuer_922x300.png

Hoping Ambrose can finally get the monkey off his back at Sonoma today. Also, I think the road course tracks are my favorite races in NASCAR now. I'd love to see them go to Montréal.

Chris R

Juan gonna Juan. You shouldn't need your crew chief to tell you to save fuel when you know you are close and have no chance of catching the leader and the car behind you isn't going to catch you either.

Would also be nice to see the sprint cars with the nationwide tech known as windshield wipers and rain tires :/

Juan gonna Juan. You shouldn't need your crew chief to tell you to save fuel when you know you are close and have no chance of catching the leader and the car behind you isn't going to catch you either.

Would also be nice to see the sprint cars with the nationwide tech known as windshield wipers and rain tires :/

You're right of course, but the team ended up hosing him a bit with strategy. I don't remember what lap his first stop was on, but he used those tires for the entire rest of the race. If he had taken four tires on his second stop, like Ambrose did, he would have had a lot more speed at the end (Ambrose had to because he had no long run speed at all). JJ who took fuel only at that point too, ended up coming back in for two tires (not a great call either).

Of course he may have run out of fuel anyway, but you never really know. He was fastest guy out there, and again no win.

Great weekend of racing. I'm going to watch the Indy Car race now. Le Mans was fragmented as hell, as you guys all know. Still enjoyable though. RIP Allan Simonsen. No tires on a perpendicular stretch of armco is unacceptable.

Shaneus

I didn't hear exactly what Kristensen said at the time but man, it could not have been any more suitable and perfect:
It’s a mixed ­feeling. My father died in March and he said I would win Le Mans this year. I hope I can win another one and dedicate it to my dad because this year is for Allan Simonsen.
That is pure class.

Typical luck for JV - couldn't even take the start. Pissed off now.
JV = Villeneuve? Wow, never thought I'd see him race again. How's he doing?

You have to wonder how much Dr. Chuck Ellis, DMD in Birmingham, AL paid to get his name on the car.
Bahaha, thought the same thing.

Hoping Ambrose can finally get the monkey off his back at Sonoma today. Also, I think the road course tracks are my favorite races in NASCAR now. I'd love to see them go to Montréal.
How's he doing? If he has any F1 equivalents for comparison, that's probably the best way to go ;)

Chris R

If Ricciardo would win a few times I'd say he would be the equivalent. Talent, but not of the top tier and not on a team to let him use it.

Shaneus

Hm, fair enough. Here's hoping he gets the chance. Glad he's not around the level of Chilton, I have to say ;)

At what age to most (successful) NASCAR drivers usually retire? I think Ambrose must be nearing 40 now, not sure what that means for his career...

Hm, fair enough. Here's hoping he gets the chance. Glad he's not around the level of Chilton, I have to say ;)

At what age to most (successful) NASCAR drivers usually retire? I think Ambrose must be nearing 40 now, not sure what that means for his career...
The drop off seems to really become noticeable around age 50. Some guys (Harry Gant, Mark Martin) seem to stay relevant a little longer, but that seems to be the usual limit.

Shaneus

The drop off seems to really become noticeable around age 50. Some guys (Harry Gant, Mark Martin) seem to stay relevant a little longer, but that seems to be the usual limit.
Wikipedia has him at 36 (I thought he was a few years older) so hopefully that means he'll be around for another 10 years... if there are teams around that want him.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Lemans was awesome. I hated all the yellows and with it being overcast in the morning, we missed out on the views of the sunrise from the car dash cams. I remember last year the Corvette drivers having a hard time because of the sun shining right in their eyes.

Speed had a commentary asking if now was the time for changes to be made to the course. I don't know. Racing is inherently dangerous and will always will be. I do think that maybe having fewer classes of cars out there may help. Maybe use full course reds instead of yellows when the weather is bad. I don't know if any of that will help really though. Racing is dangerous and unfortunately death, while not as prevalent as it used to be, is still part of it.

On another note, I am wondering if another US station will pick up the 24 hours next year with Speed going dark soon. It really ticked me off because this year they got it perfect. Most of the race was on TV in glorious HD, with only like 3 hours online.

Jezbollah

Red flags to stop the race have never been used at Le Mans. Even during the incident in 1955.

Changes need to be made to the track, yes. But to throw reds out for the weather would go against the nature of the race.

Dave_6

I nearly watched every minute of coverage that Speed showed, though I did fast forward through the caution periods. I absolutely love this race! I am going to be sorely disappointed if there is no coverage of this here in the US next year :(

The news of Allan's death was shocking though :( May he rest in peace.

I think you've got to accept some of what makes Le Mans unique as inherently dangerous. Sections of very fast public road, amateur drivers, closing speeds, lack of catch fencing in many areas.

Tertre Rouge, and the exit of Porsche Curves have to be addressed though. Tertre Rouge in particular as we all saw, can't look the same next year. Armco right up against some wonderfully majestic trees, and able to be crashed into at acute angles - just can't have it. The entry runoff isn't a whole lot better either.

It's funny, I was looking at youtube videos of old on-boards trying to determine if those trees outgrew the spacing between the armco (answer: not really, they've always been huge), and found this video from 1969 in which Vic Elford is talking about how delighted he was with the safety of the track just as he passes by that section.

Tertre Rouge was totally different then, but check out what appears to be matresses providing protection from those exact same trees. Fucking lol.

Dilly

Banned
Rivalry pushes boundaries, so this only makes sense to me.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108286
Formula E could become a multi-manufacturer series in its debut season after British outfit Bluebird announced it is building a car to be launched in time for 2014.

While Formula E was expected to be a one-make series, with cars built by Dallara, Bluebird­ said it has been encouraged by the FIA to keep developing its own machine.

But Bluebird, famous for the machines that set many land and water speed records during the last century, said the ruling body could grant approval for a multi-manufacturer championship when it kicks off next year.

Jezbollah

So Jorge Lorenzo has broken his left collarbone after crashing on white lines during MotoGP free practice 2 at Assen. He will be operated on tomorrow night.

This is huge for the championship, especially considering the Repsol Honda form and the fact the next two circuits, Laguna Seca and Sachsenring are very left hand-heavy in terms of layout.

This could well be Dani Pedrosa's chance to finally win the big championship.

operon

So Jorge Lorenzo has broken his left collarbone after crashing on white lines during MotoGP free practice 2 at Assen. He will be operated on tomorrow night.

This is huge for the championship, especially considering the Repsol Honda form and the fact the next two circuits, Laguna Seca and Sachsenring are very left hand-heavy in terms of layout.

This could well be Dani Pedrosa's chance to finally win the big championship.

As long as he stays injury free could be his year

caramac

Damn, that's a heavy fall for Lorenzo.

I don't think we'll see him on track again till Indy on the 18th of August.

Give Cal the Factory bike till then.

irHjTgumy31iz.gif

*edit, It would be interesting to find out when the air bag in his leathers activates in those situations, he was in the air a long time.

I don't think it would have saved his shoulder whatever.

Jezbollah

irHjTgumy31iz.gif

*edit, It would be interesting to find out when the air bag in his leathers activates in those situations, he was in the air a long time.

Crutchlow cannot have the factory bike - the engine rule put paid to that.

irHjTgumy31iz.gif

I'm pretty sure there is something attached to the bike and when pulled from coming off it is inflated. Being MotoGp though they could be hooked up to some sort of sensors though but the ones you can buy work the way I described. But yeah an impact like that smashes that fragile little collarbone to pieces airbag or not.

That is another nasty crash, there have been a lot of bad ones this season. Being a collarbone though I think it can be fixed pretty quickly. Don't they just plate it up? It would still have to heal of course but with some painkillers he could be back for next race. Still Dani and Marc are both riding well so a "weakened" Lorenzo could be enough for Dani (or Marquez) to take the title.

That's such a drag about Lorenzo.

A quick glance at wikipedia tells me 2007 was the last year all the potential runners for the championship started every GP. That's a really shitty stat, and one that's not good for the sport. The stats also seem to back up the notion that the big push on electronics have actually made the sport more dangerous. Missing GPs due to injury is a relatively new phenomenon in the modern era. Previous to 2008, it never happened to the top guys (going to back only to a point, not forever).

caramac

Crutchlow cannot have the factory bike - the engine rule put paid to that.

And of course you are right, maybe a bit of wishful thinking there on my part.

Gotta hand it to Jorge though, his crashes are few and far between these days and he has matured into a great rider, but when he does he nearly always goes for the spectacular high-side.

Mark Webber will be leaving RB and driving the new Porsche LMP1 next year.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/le-mans-webber-signs-with-porsche-for-lmp1-program/

Glad to see this finally official. It's been tough to see a good guy like Webber get the short end of the stick in F1, and being a factory driver for one of the premier sportscar manufacturers is hardly a bad way of moving on.

Porsche looks to be building a solid driver line-up: Bernhard and Dumas are some of the best in the business, and it will be great to see what Jani from Rebellion can do in a factory car, and Webber obviously brings huge talent, and likely a sizeable influx of fans, to the sport.

With the return of Porsche, Audi being Audi, Toyota hitting their stride, and the rumors of Nissan coming to LMP1 with a factory effort, it's great to see the top sportscar class flourishing. The next several years ought to be something special.

caramac

No luck for Jorge at Assen for the last 3 years now ...

2011 - Taken out by Marco Simoncelli (RIP) on Lap 1 Turn 5, remounted and finished 6th, 44 seconds behind winner and team mate Ben Spies.

2012 - Taken out by Alvaro Bautista on Lap 1 Turn 1, retired.

Shaneus

Glad to see this finally official. It's been tough to see a good guy like Webber get the short end of the stick in F1, and being a factory driver for one of the premier sportscar manufacturers is hardly a bad way of moving on.

Porsche looks to be building a solid driver line-up: Bernhard and Dumas are some of the best in the business, and it will be great to see what Jani from Rebellion can do in a factory car, and Webber obviously brings huge talent, and likely a sizeable influx of fans, to the sport.

With the return of Porsche, Audi being Audi, Toyota hitting their stride, and the rumors of Nissan coming to LMP1 with a factory effort, it's great to see the top sportscar class flourishing. The next several years ought to be something special.
I'm really surprised someone like Sebastien Loeb hasn't taken up LMP racing yet... seems like he'd be the perfect fit for it if he hasn't gone for a spot somewhere in F1. He would fit in almost perfectly into my theory as well... that Red Bull would become a major sponsor of at least one of the factory Porsche entries, given how much of a fan Mateschitz of Webber, and that Red Bull has sponsored Loeb in the past.

Shaneus

Urge to check the LM24 off my bucket list next year rising.
I know Psychotext from the F1 thread is going, I'm seriously thinking about it as well. I don't know how quickly one has to organise tickets/accomodation, but I'd be right on that shit. Especially when one doesn't have to take that much time off to go.

Tekniqs

I'm pretty sure there is something attached to the bike and when pulled from coming off it is inflated. Being MotoGp though they could be hooked up to some sort of sensors though but the ones you can buy work the way I described. But yeah an impact like that smashes that fragile little collarbone to pieces airbag or not.

That is another nasty crash, there have been a lot of bad ones this season. Being a collarbone though I think it can be fixed pretty quickly. Don't they just plate it up? It would still have to heal of course but with some painkillers he could be back for next race. Still Dani and Marc are both riding well so a "weakened" Lorenzo could be enough for Dani (or Marquez) to take the title.

there's nothing tethered to the bike. There's gyro sensors on the suit itself that detects a crash like incident that then makes the nitrogen "tank" to inflate the airbags.
If Pedbot doesn't win this year, he'll never win. Lorenzo may be back as early as Sach BUT he won't be troubling Ped/Marq. It's up to Rossi and Crutchlow to breakup the Repsols and limit the points damage. Lorenzo's championship challenge isn't over but now he has a mountain to climb ontop of the Repsol hill.

there's nothing tethered to the bike. There's gyro sensors on the suit itself that detects a crash like incident that then makes the nitrogen "tank" to inflate the airbags.
If Pedbot doesn't win this year, he'll never win. Lorenzo may be back as early as Sach BUT he won't be troubling Ped/Marq. It's up to Rossi and Crutchlow to breakup the Repsols and limit the points damage. Lorenzo's championship challenge isn't over but now he has a mountain to climb ontop of the Repsol hill.

Yeah I thought MotoGP would have been a little more high tech than "pull string to inflate", just wasn't sure. The ones I have seen though (in bike shops) have a loose string tethered to the bike, although I don't know where . They are a great idea though and hopefully one day the MotoGP tech can be made cheaper so everyday riders can use them.

Tekniqs

they actually are available already...dainese and alpinestars for sure. I'm not sure about other brands. They cost a lot of money though

ashk

I'm really surprised someone like Sebastien Loeb hasn't taken up LMP racing yet... seems like he'd be the perfect fit for it if he hasn't gone for a spot somewhere in F1. He would fit in almost perfectly into my theory as well... that Red Bull would become a major sponsor of at least one of the factory Porsche entries, given how much of a fan Mateschitz of Webber, and that Red Bull has sponsored Loeb in the past.

I'm not sure if you know, but Loeb does have a second place finish in Le Mans... also his team ran an LMP2 in the EMS last year with the objective of getting a Le Mans entry sometime in the future, but I think they may have dropped that idea due to lack of funding and are now mostly just doing the GT Series.

Shaneus

I'm not sure if you know, but Loeb does have a second place finish in Le Mans... also his team ran an LMP2 in the EMS last year with the objective of getting a Le Mans entry sometime in the future, but I think they may have dropped that idea due to lack of funding and are now mostly just doing the GT Series.
Well, I know now ;)

Top Bottom