• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Motorsports Thread of 2013 (MotoGP, WRC, Le Mans, Nascar, IRL, V8's etc)

caramac

Congrats to Cal Crutchlow, will start the race from pole position tomorrow.

Marc Marquez high side from today.

*edit, maybe yesterday.

ibv2nalEinGqvU.gif

TJP

Indeed congrats to Cal for getting pole. Nasty 500cc era highside by Marc, reads like he is okay for todays race. Lorenzo is one tough guy but then all of the bike riders are; Pedrosa has broken just about every bone one can break riding bikes.

Moto2 should be a cracker, 21 riders within a second of pole position.

Sunday's WSBK races from Imola are looking good too. Great to see Nori back but not in 17th!

Fantastic lap from Cal, real heart in mouth stuff! Watching his onboard I was "Don't go down, Don't go down....."

Best thing about Assen is that it's on a Saturday, doesn't interfere with the British GP, qualifying aside.

they actually are available already...dainese and alpinestars for sure. I'm not sure about other brands. They cost a lot of money though

I didn't know this. I would love to see one work in person but of course, as with all quality bike gear, its out of the reach of everyday riders due to insane cost. I would feel MUCH more safer riding on the road with one of these.

What are these guys made out of. Is he really going to race tomorrow?

Its really not that surprising to me. A collarbone injury is very common, he has access to the best surgeons in the world and injuries like this are just part of the sport. If he physically can ride, even in pain he probably will. To answer the first part of your question though, a lot of these guys are part titanium, literally.

*edit, maybe yesterday.

ibv2nalEinGqvU.gif

Yep, that was one hell of a qualifying session and good to see Cal finally get that pole. When he stays on, this is what he can do but that aggressive style he has is obviously a double edged sword. You could just tell how on the limit he was that lap.

Marquez is only going to be lucky so many times, when he wrecks lately, he wrecks hard.

Indeed congrats to Cal for getting pole. Nasty 500cc era highside by Marc, reads like he is okay for todays race. Lorenzo is one tough guy but then all of the bike riders are; Pedrosa has broken just about every bone one can break riding bikes.

Moto2 should be a cracker, 21 riders within a second of pole position.

Sunday's WSBK races from Imola are looking good too. Great to see Nori back but not in 17th!

That was a full on 500cc high side. The way the bike just flicks back the other way, throwing the rider straight into the ground, rather than "up and off" like Lorenzos crash.

Where do you watch WSBK in Australia? I'd love to follow it because I love the 2 race format.

caramac

Well yeah, but what makes a race or track a TT?

Well TT means Tourist Trophy and I'm assuming it goes back to the days of yore when basically anyone with structure that had two wheels and some form of engine could enter these events.

...or maybe I'm just being stupid here :)

Dead Man

Well TT means Tourist Trophy and I'm assuming it goes back to the days of yore when basically anyone with structure that had two wheels and some form of engine could enter these events.

...or maybe I'm just being stupid here :)

Yeah, that's what I always thought, but there are so few races called TT's I thought there might be some criteria to be met.

caramac

Yeah, that's what I always thought, but there are so few races called TT's I thought there might be some criteria to be met.

The original Assen track was first used for the 1925 Dutch TT (Tourist Trophy) race, held on country roads through the villages of Borger, Schoonloo and Grolloo, and organized by the Motorclub Assen en Omstreken. The brick-paved track had a length of 17.75 miles (28.57 km).

Maybe the thing here is that the Assen TT was once held on public roads, as is the IOM TT.

moojito

I'm determined to stay up late to catch the nascar sprint cup race tonight, but it's going to be tough! I reckon if there's a rain delay I'll give up and go to bed. 50% chance, they say!

I'm hoping the clear air out front will give Junior's engine a chance of making to the end of the race in one piece.

moojito

More rain at Kentucky. They aren't going to get this race started tonight.

Aye, I made the right call on that one! 5pm today is a much better time. Right after the F1 race, and before the confed cup final. A grand day of sports awaits!

Maybe the thing here is that the Assen TT was once held on public roads, as is the IOM TT.

Yeah the "TT" now is just there as part of the tradition. It used to be very similar to the Isle of Man, which was also once part of the MotoGP. Assen is now of course a purpose built track but I think part of the TT course is still used.

Awesome for Valentino! It was so tense because I really wanted to see an old style Rossi celebration and I wasn't disappointed. It was just great that he proved to himself he could still do it, seeing him on the podium and in the press conference he was just like the Rossi of old. The confidence was visibly there, something that we haven't seen in a long time. I don't think he will challenge for the title, but he now comes into play as a potential race winner again, which is awesome.

Its amazing to think he also raced in the 500cc era, it seems like so long ago.

Speed channel on Foxtel but you can see highlights on SBS the week following each race round.

Great racing at Assen 8)

Damn, thanks though. I might check out SBS but often "highlights" just means crashes.

Loeb will annihilate the field with ease, he and car are on another planet. Will he go under 9 minutes?

Kubica to join Loeb at Citroen in World Touring Cars next season?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Dumas went off in sector 1. Seems like mechanical problem

Red Bull TV production is just like our local TV station coverage

Arcticfox

It appears that the Unlimited class has finished and Loeb was the only one to get below 9 minutes. I have a feeling Touring Cars will be boring for him. Hopefully Peugeot will consider making another P1 Lemans car that he can race.

modulaire

I doubt this record will be broken anytime soon.

It will be tough for another team to build a car that is as fast as the 208 - and have driver that is as talented as Loeb.

fuenf

I doubt this record will be broken anytime soon.

It will be tough for another team to build a car that is as fast as the 208 - and have driver that is as talented as Loeb.

VW / Audi could do it with Ogier and the R18 plattform, but other than a giant fuck you to Peugeot I doubt they care about Pikes Peak. It would be kinda funny though. ;)

Anyways hats off to Loeb and Peugeot. Amazing project all around.

TJP

Two very interesting races at Imola for the SBK series. Imola tradiionally is a hunting ground for Italian made machinery, specifically Ducati who'd won 8 of the last 10 races held at the track, however the 2013 round saw a double win for a different marque and a new leader sitting atop the riders championship.

And for those who like crash videos, Loris Baz ZX-10 crash (rider fine, bike wasn't): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHwy8P8S67A

B.K.

The Nationwide Series race is under the red flag with four laps to go because of a wreck. There's probably going to be another big wreck when they get the green flag for the first green-white-checker.

moojito

That was a boring ending. I'm glad they got rid of tandem drafting the Cup Series.

Having only started watching nascar this year, I find these drafting races fascinating. Some of the races where one guy is 3 seconds down the road by himself at the end are no less boring. I don't think it's the drafting causing that.

caramac

No real reason to post this other than it being a really cool pic I thought.

Valentino Rossi.
Luca Marini.
Niccolo Antonelli.
Guy Martin.

ibzfCj3PYmSaa.png

Chris R

Limerock is about to start (it should have started a few mins ago, jumped start!).

edit: What a crazy race there at the end, cars ramming and running into each other all over the place.

Chris R

NASCAR about to start, any bets on how long it takes to get silly? I'm thinking a crash by lap 5 and maybe 3 in the last 20.

thefro

Xg2EX1T.jpg

So IndyCar returns to Pocono for the first time since 1989 tomorrow and Marco Andretti just DESTROYED the old track record by 10 mph in qualifying.

The track was built for IndyCars originally, with each turn modeled after a legendary IndyCar track (Turn 1 Trenton, Turn 2 Indy, Turn 3 Milwaukee), and they look awesome going around in 2013.

It's also the 2nd leg of the revived IndyCar Triple Crown... unfortunately it's only a 400 mile race because ABC sucks, but it should be nearly as good of a race as the Indy 500 was.

Chris R

Here is hoping IndyCar makes Pocono interesting, I normally hate the NASCAR races there.

edit: Carl almost taking someone's foot off there lol

Top Bottom