• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

aceface

My dad works with Eric Weinrich's mother in law, whose daughter met him when he was playing for the Utica Devils at the AHL level. This useless tidbit brought to you by: my boredom.

aceface said:
My dad works with Eric Weinrich's mother in law, whose daughter met him when he was playing for the Utica Devils at the AHL level. This useless tidbit brought to you by: my boredom.

Well, as boring as the trade that just happened.

Michael Handzus from philly to chicago for Kyle Calder

I want to comment but I hate both teams too much.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Oh damn, Handzus for Calder. LOL it is true that if you file for arbritration in Chicago you get your ass traded.

It is a good deal for both teams, and now Clark can sign Gagne.

Kingpen

F*CK! That freaking sucks.... There must be some kind of mob influence still over in Russia or something. Now we have a big hole in the middle of the 2nd line, and no one to sign....

I'll still watch every game on center ice, but I'm not paying 1500 for my wife and I to fly out for a 3 game homestand in January like I was going to....

Damn Penguins... Caps were lucky this BS didn't happen to them with Ovechkin.

Alucard

Banned
Yaaaayyy, another year of mediocrity. Actually, mediocrity would be an improvement over season-long disappointment. 10th place in the East! Realistic goal!

pops619

Well, apparently it's not over yet: http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2542025

However, Malkin's agent, JP Barry, told The Associated Press in a telephone interview that Malkin told him he wants to play in the NHL this season. Malkin also has been quoted in Russia as saying he wants to play in Pittsburgh soon.

This situation is extremely frustrating because this could be the third false alarm we've had this summer alone. I don't know what to think anymore. I was very confident that he'd be here, but it seems like as soon as anything is reported, a contradictory report comes up.

Malakhov

Banned
Nagy 56 points 51 games.
York 51 points 75 games.

Nagy 3 Million
York 2.85 Million

Arbitrators are on ****ing crack.

aceface

Buffalo makes a bold stand against insane arbitrators! Also, with everyone getting raises they can't really afford him. I'm already surprised at the amount of money Regier has spent.

Malakhov

Banned
Kovalev Big Pimpin' Russian Style

Kovi_Hockey_Ad.jpg

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
TemplaerDude said:
In usual Eklund style, just before the deal is announced every where else. What a prophet. :\

a whole 2 hours before

just fyi

which is pretty damn good considering his explanation for an e5 is "minutes away from being announced or currently being announced"

Reilly

DopeyFish said:
a whole 2 hours before

just fyi

which is pretty damn good considering his explanation for an e5 is "minutes away from being announced or currently being announced"

Eklund said Recchi was never going back to Pittsburgh.

Malakhov

Banned
J.P. Dumont almost begging Montreal to make him an offer on CKAC about 20 mins ago.

We really dont have any place for him as a wing on the top two lines:

Ryder
Higgins
Kovalev
Samsonov

Malakhov

Banned
Games I will be attending this season:

OCTOBER
Sat. 14 Ottawa
Tue. 17 Calgary
Tue. 31 Ottawa

NOVEMBER
Tue. 7 Edmonton
Sat. 25 Philadelphia
Tue. 28 Florida

DECEMBER
Tue. 12 Boston
Thu. 14 Tampa Bay

JANUARY
Sat. 6 NY Rangers
Tue. 9 Atlanta

FEBRUARY
Sat. 3 NY Islanders
Tue. 6 Carolina
Tue. 20 Washington
Mon. 26 Toronto

MARCH
Sat. 31 Buffalo

Oh yeah baby!

dem

should only need him for a year. Hopefully atleast one of Pouliot/Schremp/Mikhnov is ready by THEN..

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Oilers are gonna be a blast to watch this season.
Aside from the occasional HNiC's, where can I watch Oiler games in Vancouver? :(

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
According to the globe and mail (which is owned by bell!)... Apparently Bell (owners of TSN and CTV Sportsnet) put in a bid of $1.4 billion for hockey night in canada and all CBC sports broadcasting rights and with the bad shape CBC is in... you might see Bell being the sole sports broadcast network (outside of TheScore) in canada

monopoly time !

Oilers are also going to sign Russian 1st rounder 6 foot 5 Alexi Mikhnov apparently this week.

Their front line is going to be sick ... probably the deepest it's been since the 80s. Lowe can now just sit back and upgrade the D as the season goes on, because the teams that get off to slower starts will want to dump salary. That's exactly how he got Spacek and Tarnstrom last year for pretty much nothing.

The Pronger deal also basically ends up as Lupul + Sykora + Smid + 1st rounder for Pronger, because we wouldn't have been able to sign Sykora without the salary we dumped with Pronger.

Also I hope CTV/TSN does not get the NHL rights ... even though CBC really needs an overhaul ... they *are* "Hockey Night In Canada" ... I've watched it since I was a kid, it would be weird to see it on CTV all the time.

dem

DopeyFish said:
what? you grabbed it from Eklunds forum? shame on you!

grabbed it from calgarypuck actually :p

I had to see how Sykora signing with the Oilers was really a terrible move. Flamer fans are endless entertainment.

pops619

For all you following the Evgeni Malkin saga, apparently it's still not over. According to reports from Russia, he's gone AWOL. He was in Finland with his Russian team, but he took all his belongings and travel documents and split. I can only hope he's safely in Pittsburgh or on his way to the burgh.

pops619 said:
For all you following the Evgeni Malkin saga, apparently it's still not over. According to reports from Russia, he's gone AWOL. He was in Finland with his Russian team, but he took all his belongings and travel documents and split. I can only hope he's safely in Pittsburgh or on his way to the burgh.

:lol awesome.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
pops619 said:
Links for this? This is pretty crazy

pops619

Here's a link, it's in Russian though: http://sport.gazeta.ru/sport/2006/08/a_734394.shtml

Someone on a Penguins message board translated a shorter, earlier report from the same source at http://sport.gazeta.ru/sport/lenta/index.shtml?734368#734368:

Evgeni Malkin has gone AWOL from Metallurg. As a source at the club told a gazeta.ru reporter, the forward, who came to Finland with his team to hold a training camp has left the team on Saturday with his personal belongings and travel documents. His whereabouts are unknown.

dem

Why dont the Russians just sign the transfer agreement? Players are going to leave with or without it. Might aswell get some money for them...

Sandman42

The Saga Continues:
He is supposed to be in NA soon. They say he had this all planned out. He couldn't leave out of Russia because he could have been drafted by the army or something.
malkin.jpg

poopee

Pochacco said:
Oilers are gonna be a blast to watch this season.
Aside from the occasional HNiC's, where can I watch Oiler games in Vancouver? :(

I moved from Edmonton to Vancouver around a year and a half ago. It sucks not being able to watch the Oilers games here. Ended up listening to a lot over the web.

I think the best bet to find Oilers games is at a bar called the Black Frog (ya, ya.. sounds like the Black Dog). Wish I had known about it sooner... but during the playoffs the place was packed with Oilers fans. Actually, I've heard that the owner is from Edmonton and used to work at Squires or something.

Anyways, it's at 108 Cambie St. in gastown.

calder

So... was Gonchar covering for Malkin? Did Malkin lie to him to pass on the info to the pittsburgh press? Gonchar talking out of his ass? I demand Bettman form a commision and find out.

Russian assassins will be flying to Pittsburgh in the very near future.
I know who I hope they send:
urban_bourne_supremacy.gif

We'll see how tough Andre Roy really is.

calder

OH shit I forgot this was today (yesterday)!
BRECLAV, Czech Republic (CP) - Canada maintained its under-18 hockey dominance with a proven formula of strong defence, timely scoring and loads of hard work.

''It feels unbelievable, 22 men putting in an unbelievable effort,'' forward Tyler Ennis said after scoring to help Canada beat the United States 3-0 to claim the gold medal at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial tournament Saturday. ''They didn't have a sniff and we just played awesome and it feels unreal.

''Good things happen when you stick to the system.''

Brett Sonne scored twice and Trevor Cann made 20 saves as Canada won gold for the 10th time in 11 years at the summer tournament for the world's best under-18 players.

The only setback in that span was in 2003, when the Americans beat Russia for gold and Canada finished out of the medals.

''It was unreal being able to wear the jersey and actually come through for your country,'' said Sonne. ''It was an awesome experience, I'm proud of it.''

Coach Cory Clouston of the Kootenay Ice did his best to take the pressure off his players by preaching the need to focus solely on the task at hand. The team held meetings before each game and talked only about what was immediately in front of them, nothing more.

''We didn't want to look too far ahead and we didn't want to think about things like Canada has won so many of these tournaments,'' said Clouston. ''That might have become a little bit overwhelming to the guys, we just wanted them to stick to their jobs and the guys did a great job of that.''

Sonne, the Calgary Hitmen sniper who had a goal in each of Canada's four games at the event, opened the scoring at 10:49 of the first period and made it 2-0 at 2:12 of the second.

The first goal was particularly important for the Canadians, who got off to a nervous start by playing anxious, individual hockey. Once they took the lead, they started to play their grinding game.

''It was a big monkey off the back, just being able to relax and play our defensive game to finish it,'' said Sonne. ''We shut them down pretty well. Every player should be proud of themselves.''

Ennis, of the Medicine Hat Tigers, capped the scoring with his goal at 10:38 of the third.

Jeremy Smith stopped 27 shots for the Americans.

Russia beat Sweden 4-2 in the bronze-medal game at Piestany, Slovakia.

Cann, of the Peterborough Petes, got the call in goal over Justin Leclerc of the Lethbridge Hurricanes and was solid, even though he was rarely tested.

''When he needed to be he was very good,'' said Clouston. ''He made a couple real big saves for us in the second period and that gave us momentum going into the third.''

Canada controlled the play throughout, outshooting the Americans 12-9 in the first, 10-5 in the second and 8-6 in the third.

Canada finished its round robin in Piestany with a 3-0 record, including a 5-3 win in the opener over Switzerland and 4-1 victories over Sweden and Slovakia.

The Americans, coached by former NHL forward and coach Ed Olczyk, won their pool with wins of 3-2 over Finland, 4-2 over Russia and 4-3 in overtime over the Czechs.

The tournament was formerly called the Junior World Cup, but the name was changed in honour of Hlinka, the former star player and later national coach for the Czech Republic who was killed in a 2004 car crash.

Another event, the IIHF world under-18 championships, is played in April but does not have top players involved in junior or university playoffs in North America.
Sweet. :)

Heh, unrelated and old news, but I love the IIHF's official press releases. This one reads like David Mamet transcribing Gil Grissom then running it through Babelfish.
August 8 -- ZÜRICH, Switzerland: The case concerns the infraction of the IIHF Playing Rules by the Swedish player Mika Hannula at the semi-final game between Sweden and Canada during the 2006 IIHF World Championship in Riga, Latvia when the Swedish player cross-checked the Canadian player Sidney Crosby to the neck and head area.

The Deciding Panel of the Disciplinary Committee comes to the conclusion that the penalties imposed by the referee and the Tournament Directorate (a one-game suspension) are not sufficient to penalize the dangerous attack by Mika Hannula against the Canadian Sidney Crosby.

The video of the game as well as the reports of the Game Supervisor and of the Referee Supervisor prove that the check against the Canadian player was delivered from behind to the right side of neck and head with both hands on the stick (cross-check, Rule 525). The attack happened on the right hand side of the Swedish goal, when the Canadian player was celebrating the goal just scored by him. The stick, which was held horizontally with stretched arms, hit the neck of the opposing player at the base of the crane. The player was shoved in the direction of the board so that he hit the board with his shoulder.

Acording to article 3.6 of the IIHF Disciplinary Regulations, the player has the right to appeal. The appeal must be submitted to the IIHF Council in written form and should be received within 30 days from receipt of this decision.

Sandman42

calder said:
Heh, unrelated and old news, but I love the IIHF's official press releases. This one reads like David Mamet transcribing Gil Grissom then running it through Babelfish.
I gained a lot of respect for Sidney Crosby in that tournament. He took many beatings from other teams and was still the best player in the tourney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom