• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason

Ovechkin said he will score 50 goals in the playoffs.
rock.gif

I feel bad for Malkin ... I almost feel like he should have just stayed in Russia, played out the last season of his contract and let that be that.

It's doubtful but you never know if the Russian mob or someone else may be enlisted by people tied to his old team and may make death threats or something on his life during this season.

soundwave05 said:
I feel bad for Malkin ... I almost feel like he should have just stayed in Russia, played out the last season of his contract and let that be that.

It's doubtful but you never know if the Russian mob or someone else may be enlisted by people tied to his old team and may make death threats or something on his life during this season.

"If you make the playoffs, your family dies."

pops619

My opinion is that if Malkin didn't leave now, he was going to have to face this same kind of crap next summer. Yes, technically his contract would be up, and he'd be free to go anywhere. But he'd still face ridiculous pressure to stay in Russia. And then there's always the threat that they'd force him to serve his military time as a way to keep him there. It's been speculated that the army stuff was a possible reason why he fled now and waited until he was out of Russia to do it. If he got caught trying to leave Russia, they could have just forcefully drafted him into the army.

May16

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=174525&hubname=
Our boy is in Los Angeles!
The 20-year-old requested Barry meet him in Helsinki because he knew this would be his first opportunity to control his own passport. Upon receiving the passport in the airport Malkin quickly slipped away from his team, found Barry and was whisked into hiding.

"Magnitogorsk controlled Evgeni's passport and this was his first opportunity he could obtain his passport and leave the team," Barry added.

All of the secrecy was necessary to ensure Magnitogorsk officials wouldn't track Malkin down while he waited for the U.S. embassy in Helsinki to process an American visa.

May16 said:
Finally. Man, all playoffs long, I would make this AWESOME jokes about how amazingly ugly Rod Brindamour is, and no one seemed to agree. Nice to see someone out there agrees.
Who would possibly not agree with you? Everyone knows Rod is second only to Ricci as the ugliest NHLer.

or is he?

cheliaz7.jpg

May16

rusty said:
Who would possibly not agree with you? Everyone knows Rod is second only to Ricci as the ugliest NHLer.
Mostly my dumb roommates who were not so into hockey, just "watching" because I was being a pure sports terrorist about controlling the TV during the playoffs.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
So if the back of the sign says, time to retire.. I wonder what the front says. It'd be funnier if it was some I <3 Chelios thing, but I guess it's another rip on him since the guy has his tongue flying out of his mouth.

pops619

The Malkin jealousy begins. I'll forgive that writer for not having all the facts straight because he seemingly wrote that before the latest came out after they finally revealed what happened. But uninformed is uninformed. A lot of people are talking about how Malkin's a baby and a head case, how he wasn't in danger, etc. etc.

One of the most common things I see is, "well, Russia has open borders, nothing was stopping him from leaving." The story Malkin and his agent are telling is that his team took possession of his passport. That would prevent him from leaving. So many are picking on Malkin, but they aren't questioning for a second the actions of his Russian team. They promised him last summer they'd let him go to the NHL if he gave them another year. He did that, and they went back on their word. Yet it's Malkin who's getting criticized for going back on his word.

Jealous media types from places like Toronto can stick it. They're the same bunch that was so quick to jump on Crosby last year. The fact is, the Pens have some dynamic talents that will lead them to some great moments in the near future. The Leafs are treading in mediocrity. I have to laugh when they're relying on former Pen J.S. Aubin to come up big for them in goal. To me, that puts them in their proper place compared to the Pens.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
pops619 said:
The Malkin jealousy begins. I'll forgive that writer for not having all the facts straight because he seemingly wrote that before the latest came out after they finally revealed what happened. But uninformed is uninformed. A lot of people are talking about how Malkin's a baby and a head case, how he wasn't in danger, etc. etc.

One of the most common things I see is, "well, Russia has open borders, nothing was stopping him from leaving." The story Malkin and his agent are telling is that his team took possession of his passport. That would prevent him from leaving. So many are picking on Malkin, but they aren't questioning for a second the actions of his Russian team. They promised him last summer they'd let him go to the NHL if he gave them another year. He did that, and they went back on their word. Yet it's Malkin who's getting criticized for going back on his word.

Jealous media types from places like Toronto can stick it. They're the same bunch that was so quick to jump on Crosby last year. The fact is, the Pens have some dynamic talents that will lead them to some great moments in the near future. The Leafs are treading in mediocrity. I have to laugh when they're relying on former Pen J.S. Aubin to come up big for them in goal. To me, that puts them in their proper place compared to the Pens.

It's Steve Simmons, no one in Toronto pays attention to him, his job is to stir shit up. He is the worst of the 3 headed dog of Simmons, Strachan and Cox. And there dumb retarded friend Marty York.

calder

There's no doubt that Malkin made a lot of promises to ppl and has a habit of changing his mind after signing a deal. But yeah if you think Simmons is a dubious source of moral finger-waving, here's a more balanced 'anti' Malkin article from ESPN's Scott Burnside. I mostly agree with his assertion that Malkin largely has himself to blame for making too many promises to too many ppl, but he's young and shit happens. But if I were a Pens fan I'd sure be nervous about him reporting to training camp in a year or two if he became unhappy with his deal or something. ;) It's rarely a good sign when an athlete switches agents and renegotiates, then abandons, deals like that before he even gets to the NHL. I'm going to predict at least 1 Keith Tkachuk style contract holdout (sign long front loaded contract while still young, hold out a year later when other guys start making more) for Malkin in the next 3 years.

And I'm not sure I'd accuse other ppl, even clueless TO hockey writers, of being "jealous" of the Pens in any way. :lol

pops619

We'll see. Personally, I see the situation like this: Malkin's team wronged him, so he returned the favor. If the Pens treat him right, he'll treat them right. It's not like he's doing this just for money. He probably was going to make more in Russia.

I actually find his mindset refreshing. Last summer, when the Pens came calling, he decided to be loyal to his country, but he said then that he planned on being in the NHL in 2006. For giving them an extra year, his team said they'd let him go this summer. Obviously, that didn't happen. But he didn't forget and he felt he had an obligation to the Pens. It's nice to see him go through such lengths to come through for the team that drafted him.

I read Burnside's article and I had the same reaction I got from reading the Toronto guy's work. I'm not saying Malkin's a saint or anything, but having been following this situation for the last year, it's ridiculous to label Malkin a baby and not say much about what his Russian team did. They did a lot of underhanded stuff. At worst, Malkin just paid them back. Maybe his or his family's life wasn't on the line, but he was being held prisoner for his team's personal financial gain. They deserve everything that's happened, and I hope when this goes to court, they get nothing. This quote from Malkin kind of says it all: "I'm very hurt. You cannot treat people like that. They promised me last year I would be free. Now it turns out they're not going to keep their word while I am supposed to."

And I'm not sure I'd accuse other ppl, even clueless TO hockey writers, of being "jealous" of the Pens in any way. :lol

Laugh while you can. The Pens are on the verge of quite a run.

Sandman42

Alucard said:
I read that in the paper and was pretty miffed by his article too. The man obviously doesn't have all the facts and is a sensationalist bastard.
There is one rule to remember about the Toronto hockey media. Steve Simmons is a idiot.
He hasn't made a single column that has made sense. Ever.

Barrage

Who gives a shit about Malkin coming this year instead of next? What, Pittsburgh finishes 11th instead of 14th? Bah.

I am sick of Anson Carter not being signed. stop pretending like you want to go to dumps like Toronto, Pittsburgh or Detroit and come to the Stars. Then we can leave Lindros to decompose on the side of an abandoned road or something.

Barrage

Stars will win the division. Guaranteed. Ducks got Neidermayer and could not come close to Dallas, an overrated Chris Pronger is not going to change that, especially when he requests a trade in february.

pops619

Here's the most detailed account of everything that's gone on with Malkin: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_466902.html

I suggest anyone who believes he's a headcase based on his actions should give it a read. A lot of people are criticizing him for firing agents and not honoring contracts, but there seem to be legitimate reasons behind all that.

Who gives a shit about Malkin coming this year instead of next? What, Pittsburgh finishes 11th instead of 14th? Bah.

Whatever. Revisit that statement this spring when Crosby and Malkin are leading the Pens back into the playoffs.

Some interesting points here:

Pat Quinn always thought of himself as a Star, and soon it may be true. The Dallas Stars are talking to Quinn about a consultant's job. Translation: They will be putting Quinn on retainer in case they have to make a move with coach Dave Tippett ... Little known fact: The Leafs shopped Mats Sundin around prior to the Olympics and one of the teams most interested was the Calgary Flames ... John Ferguson insisted upon a confidentiality clause before finalizing his $5-million-plus injury settlement to Owen Nolan. Had the details, such as a lawyer inquiring as to where Ferguson attained his medical background, come out, it could have been potentially embarrassing for the Leafs GM... Department of irony: When Nolan accused the Leafs of misdiagnosing his knee injury, the trainer at the time was Chris Broadhurst. Now, Nolan just signed a contract with Phoenix. The Coyotes trainer happens to be the ex-Leaf, Broadhurst .... Confirm or deny: Ferguson is so concerned about his flailing public image that he will make a hire shortly solely intended to placate Leaf fans.

Yea it went something like "ZOMG CROSBY AND LEMIEUX ZOMG GUARENTEED CUPZORZ ICRY ICRY"

Sure thing guys. Why don't you come talk to me in the spring when your team is floundering between 11th and last.

pops619

It's just that we've heard this song before....like last year?!

So? They're a completely different organization now. Many expected more out of what they did last summer, but it turned out that they were completely unprepared for the post-lockout NHL. They've dumped most of the trash and have addressed pretty much every weakness. They're going to be a dramatically improved team this year.

pops619 said:
So? They're a completely different organization now. Many expected more out of what they did last summer, but it turned out that they were completely unprepared for the post-lockout NHL. They've dumped most of the trash and have addressed pretty much every weakness. They're going to be a dramatically improved team this year.

Who do they have on D this year?

pops619

Who do they have on D this year?

The D's more inexperienced than anything. Whitney, Orpik, and Welch all have high upsides. Gonchar sucks defensively. Melichar is decent. Eaton is a new addition, and he is solid. I'm not expecting them to be a good defensive team. But they're going to be improved enough defensively to make it because their offense will be among the best.

The Pens' defensive problems extended farther than just the defensemen. Granted, they employed some garbage defensemen, many of whom they've gotten rid of (Jackman, Odelein, Tarnstrom, Poapst). But their forwards were equally bad defensively. The defense will be better just because they've added guys like Moore, Ekman, and soon Malkin who are strong defensive players.

Another reason the Pens gave up a lot of goals last year is because their PK was awful. Eaton was one of the better penalty killers in the league last year. Moore was really good. Malkin's a strong penalty killer. Talbot was their best PK'er while he was there last year, and he's likely to be back. Heck, Ruutu's probably a better PK'er than anyone they had last year. They'll reduce their goals against by 20-30 goals just from the improvements they're likely to see shorthanded.

Believe me, the Pens aren't going to be a strong defensive team, but they're better off now than they were much of the time in the late 90's when they consistently made the playoffs. They've actually got something resembling real checking lines, something they haven't had since the early 90's. Defense will still be a weakness, but it'll improve enough when you consider how high powered they'll be offensively.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
I'm loving what the pens did in the off season, but coming in here yelling playoffs playoffs playoffs reeks of a leafs fan.

with that said, preds are taking the cup... bitches.

pops619

I'm loving what the pens did in the off season, but coming in here yelling playoffs playoffs playoffs reeks of a leafs fan.

Pens will actually back me up, though. :D

I'll shut up now but I just want you all to remember who told you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom