• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, Gomez was the Devils' last arbitration. Their only arbitration, I believe. It shouldn't be too long before we know Gomez's fate.

I have to think that Lou is going to find a way to hold on to Gomez, even at the $5 million salary, and then sign him to a long term deal after next season once the "dead" Malahkov/Mogilny money comes off the books. If anything he should keep until the trade deadline and make a deal where he'll get fair value.

There are also too many lower-tier players on the team that the Devils can (and should) jettison before Gomez, even if it means a loyal soldier like Brylin or a quality contributor like Rafalski (who could be trade bait for teams that stayed out of the ridiculous free-agent defensemen shopping spree).

KilledByBill said:
I have to think that Lou is going to find a way to hold on to Gomez, even at the $5 million salary, and then sign him to a long term deal after next season once the "dead" Malahkov/Mogilny money comes off the books. If anything he should keep until the trade deadline and make a deal where he'll get fair value.

There are also too many lower-tier players on the team that the Devils can (and should) jettison before Gomez, even if it means a loyal soldier like Brylin or a quality contributor like Rafalski (who could be trade bait for teams that stayed out of the ridiculous free-agent defensemen shopping spree).

Just as you say, Lou says he's keeping Gomez. But since that instantly puts them over cap...well, it's deal time.

Is Mogilny retired yet? Is he really that much dead weight right now that the Devils won't play him?

It should be interesting to see how Lou gets out of this one. I have confidence he'll find some way though...I just hope that the Devils don't suffer for it. (a sentiment probably not shared by much of the forum)

EDIT: I misread that article, just because they accept the contract, doesn't mean they're not trading him. If they didn't accept it, he would become a UFA, and a total loss for the team. Now the trade talks will really begin, even though Gomez's impending free agency next summer will make it difficult to get a good deal. Though, they may find a way to keep him.

It makes sense to sign him I think, because there've got to be at least a couple teams that really want Gomez (or another Devil) and are willing to accept his salary.

This way if you felt you were going to lose him no matter what, you can trade Gomez to, say, Columbus for, what, a 3rd round draft pick?

Beats losing him for nothing.

There's no point in not signing him.

You might as well accept the contract, then try to dump other salary over the summer. If that doesn't work then you trade him for a 1st round pick or whatever you can get.

Why doesn't Washington try and get him? They're something like $20 million under the cap or some ridiculous number like that. I mean they need to throw Ovechkin a bone or something. He may be happy now, but after a few years of losing and little hope, he might become completely disillusioned with the franchise and be looking to New York or something.

dem

Strong rumour in edmonton that Sykora will be an Oiler...

meh.. i dont see the point.. but whatever.

calder

An arbitrator has awarded Jay Bouwmeester a two-year settlement worth $4.35 million. Bouwmeester would make $2.1 million this season and $2.25 million the following year.
A bit high for him based on what he's actually done, but based on his improvement last year and his talent it could be a bargain by next season if he continues to develop. Easy to forget he's still very young, I read he was 22 and that surprised me again since he's been in the league for what feels like 10 years already.

aceface

Sabres signed Lydman to a 4 year contract today. With a defensive core of Lydman/Tallinder/Spacek locked up for 4, 4, and 3 years respectively, this team is going to be good for the forseeable future. :D

Also, apparently the new jerseys are going to be unveiled at 4pm today. Let's hope for the best there as well.

Alucard

Banned
Getting anxious about the Malkin situation. Why isn't he signed yet? I know there are still over two months before the new season but I REALLY want to see him in a Pens uniform. I'm really excited for the new season with the additions we've made...

Ruutu and Petrovicky bring toughness
Eaton brings a solid defensive game
Ekman brings experience and a decent scoring touch

And the rest of the young guys like Moore and Pivko just bring more excitement to the team. I'm not thrilled about Recchi coming back due to his horrendous +/- but he can be a force out there when he's on his game.

This team needs Malkin on that second line!

Kingpen

Once they get Malkin signed, this team will jump a bunch of places in the standings... He seems to be the type of impact player that would be gone on day 1 of free agency to the highest bidder.

I don't know who is going to make the team, Pivko or Leclair, as both are vying for the same spot on the 3rd line it seems (next to Moore and Ruutu). Looks like Ouellete, who started out on fire in his first 12 games, (10 goals) is going to be the odd man out. It should be interesting... I'm just glad that Koltsov and Surovy are gone...

Don't know what happens to Scuderi either, as I think Noah Welch took his spot (Gonchar, Orpik, Whitney, Welch, Eaton, Melichar, Cairns). Scuderi seemed to be an okay d-man... I would be sad if someone plucked him off the waiver wire from us.

Alucard

Banned
I'm actually most excited about our defense this year. It looks to be solid, at least on paper. Provided that Gonchar continues the form he showed in the last 30 or so games of last season, we could be deadly on the PP, and with Welch and Eaton both looking to be solid defenders, I really think we'll see a substantial improvement from last season.

On offense, I think we need to sign Malkin. Without him we're still only looking decent up front. Crosby can't do everything. I'd try out Ekman on his wing, with Armstrong obviously being the other man on the first line. Recchi and either Ouellet or this Pivko kid flanking Malkin on the second line would be pretty good too.

As for Leclair, he can be bumped down to a 4th line centre...actually, swapping him and Moore between 3rd and 4th line centres would work either way I think.

I don't know what I'm talking about. Just excited to see this team on the ice!

Kingpen

Here is my lines the way I see them shaking out

Armstrong - Crosby - Recchi
Ekman - Malkin - Malone
Ruutu - Moore - Leclair/Pivko
Petrovicky - Talbot - Roy

Gonchar - Eaton
Orpik - Whitney
Melichar - Welch
Cairns

MAF
T-Bo

I can't see them throwing Johnny Vermont on the 4th line without some fallout happening in the locker room. I think that Leclair will be traded fairly early into the season, as I still firmly believe that Shero traded for Pivko with a reason to give him a spot on the roster after watching him all those years in Nashville's farm. I really like our 3rd and 4th lines, as both of them would be the type of energy lines that should grind it out and wear the opposition down. I can't see Malone on the top line with Crosby as he has not garnered that type of 'cred' yet, and I see Crosby welcoming putting all the rumors of Recchi trash talking him aside by directly playing next to him on the same line.

I am excited about our D as well as they clearly were getting better the last 3rd of the season. If all the turmoil with Edzo didn't happen for almost 3 months of the season, we by far would not have been a last place team. Having a well run and efficient training camp instead of a meatball tasting contest like last year will make a lot of difference this year. All the signings this offseason (except Recchi) have addressed our piss poor defense last year and actually upgraded it.

I can't wait until the season starts.

The last I heard about the Malkin situation is that even though the Russians have verbally agreed, the papers have not been signed because Tretiak is on vacation and they are sitting on his desk... They really need to get those Fedex'ed to him!

pops619

Malkin will be here, really, with or without a transfer agreement. Supposedly, the Pens are very confident that he'll be in Pittsburgh. For the last year, he has consistently affirmed that he will play in the NHL in the 2006-2007 season. Earlier this summer, his agent said he intends to be in Pittsburgh this fall. Why isn't he signed yet? My guess is he's waiting to see what happens with the transfer agreement. He'd like to do this as peacefully as he can. If the Russians never agree to it, if it comes to that, Malkin will give his notice and leave. His team might fight it, but they can't win. Malkin clearly has no intentions of playing in Russia; his Russian team is holding its training camp right now, and he's not attending. It might get ugly, but I have no doubt that Malkin will be in the NHL this season.

The Pens are going to be significantly improved this year. Shero's done a great job dumping trash and replacing them with players that improve upon the major weaknesses of this team. Once Malkins in the fold, anything is possible. I absolutely believe they'll be back in the playoff picture.

pops619

No, really, he will be. Russian labor law allows workers to leave their positions as long as they give a two-week notice. It's very likely that Malkin will exercise that right if the Russians won't agree to a transfer agreement because he's not going to play in Russia against his will when he already gave his team an extra year last season with the understanding that he'd play in the NHL this year. His team will try and fight it, but it's not going to do much good, especially if he just leaves for America. I don't think he would like it to come to that, but I'm positive that's what will happen if he can't do it the easy way with a transfer agreement.

dem said:
Strong rumour in edmonton that Sykora will be an Oiler...

meh.. i dont see the point.. but whatever.

Err ... like the point may be to make the playoffs with a decent seeding this time?

Yeah the Oil have stockpiled a lot of good, young prospects to come into the ranks this year, but there's no gauruntee guys like Schremp, Pouliot, Jacques, Mikhnov, Smid, etc. can all contribute at a high level right away. They will probably get more regular time towards the end of the season.

Hemsky + Sykora would be sick if it happened. I'm not holding my breath for it to happen, but if it does, it'd be nice.

dem

soundwave05 said:
Err ... like the point may be to make the playoffs with a decent seeding this time?

Yeah the Oil have stockpiled a lot of good, young prospects to come into the ranks this year, but there's no gauruntee guys like Schremp, Pouliot, Jacques, Mikhnov, Smid, etc. can all contribute at a high level right away. They will probably get more regular time towards the end of the season.

Hemsky + Sykora would be sick if it happened. I'm not holding my breath for it to happen, but if it does, it'd be nice.

meh.. not a big fan.

He'd be good for shootouts i guess...

dem

"We have informed the (International Ice Hockey Federation) that, to the extent we do not have an agreement signed by the Russian national association on the terms previously offered and communicated to them by (Monday), we will proceed without a deal for the coming year," - Bill Daly

calder

2703.jpg

"Гречиха."

So with Tremblay signing for 1 year at 600,000$, the Canucks blue line looks like

Ohlund - Mitchell
Salo - Tremblay
Krajicek - Bieksa / Bourdon

calder

So Manheim Eagles standout Yannick Tremblay makes the Canucks second pairing? Maybe dem isn't exagerating after all. :lol

Tremblay has a career plus-minus rating of minus-113 but is known for his strong point shot.

calder

+/- is anything but a useless stat, but whatever. I want to see you explain away "played for the Mannheim Eagles of the German Hockey League last season", because that's the ****ing hilarious part.

FWIW, his first season with the Thrashers was the team's first year, so -42, while bad, is pretty indicative of the team anyway. This page paints the real picture, for better or worse.

fallout

TemplaerDude said:
+ / - is hardly indicitive of how good or bad a player is.
I agree, though it's pretty indicative of how good or bad a defenseman is when compared with the rest of his team. Of course, you can bring up the context of what quality of team they played for, but you can do that with just about any stat.

Malakhov

Banned
Plus and minuses is not a useless stat if you look at them by teams, it's a very good indicator of how a player has done defensively.

It only becomes useless when you start to look at it league wide.

dem

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=172903&hubname=

DETROIT (CP) - Dominik Hasek is returning to the Detroit Red Wings.

The 41-year-old Czech goaltender who played for the Ottawa Senators last season signed a one-year deal with the Red Wings.

Hasek first joined Detroit in July 2001 after being traded by the Buffalo Sabres.

He led the Red Wings to a Stanley Cup in 2002 before retiring later that summer.

I knew the wings would get a 1 year stopgap so Howard can start in 07-08. Eh, at least it's not Belfour.

Hasek will be injured at the start of the playoffs, guaranteed. :lol

Alucard said:
Probably...

Dom was putting up Vezina-type numbers before he went down last year, so I suppose the rewards outweigh the risks. If he suffers a serious injury before the trade deadline, there will be at least a few teams looking to shop a 'tender. If it happens after, Holland probably feels confident enough with Osgood...I sure as hell dont.

aceface

Too bad he's not going to stay healthy. I remember watching the game where he got injured at the Olympics last year thinking "Yep, there goes Ottawa's cup chances."

Mike Works said:
For the amount he's going to make, this is a great signing for Detroit.
Yeah, being reported as 500k + incentives. You have to look at what Detroit's other options where - Belfour :)lol), Biron (Darcy probably asking for too much), Giguere/Nabakov (overpaid).

I'll take Hasek for 1 year (or less...roffles) while waiting for Howard over any of those options...and as much as I don't like him, Osgood is one of the better backups in the league, so it's not that huge of a risk.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
dem said:
DETROIT (CP) - Dominik Hasek is returning to the Detroit Red Wings.

Finally, some news. I almost forgot hockey even exsisted for the past 3-4 days...god I hate the off-season.

rusty said:
I knew the wings would get a 1 year stopgap so Howard can start in 07-08. Eh, at least it's not Belfour.

I'm out of the western conference prospect loop, fill me in on this guy Howard. Would you rate him over Carey Price?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom