• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandman42

Barrage said:
Stars will win the division. Guaranteed. Ducks got Neidermayer and could not come close to Dallas, an overrated Chris Pronger is not going to change that, especially when he requests a trade in february.
There is no way the Stars will win the Pacific. They will not finish ahead of Anahiem, San Jose, or even Pheonix. They'd be lucky to get in the playoffs.

Barrage

I can someone believing Anaheim or even San Jose could finish ahead of the Stars(even though it will not happen), but PHOENIX? Signing a lot of name players does not mean youère automatically going to the Playoffs. Just ask the Leafs from last season.

Anyone doubting that Dallas will make the playoffs is insane. I remember the same things being said about Detroit last season. Look what happened.

P.S.-I hope to god we do not sign Quinn. For anything.

I agree with Barrage, San Jose and Anaheim could finish better than Dallas this season (though a lot of that will depend on the former's goaltending), but I don't see Phoenix doing it at all. Phoenix is going to be one of the most overrated teams coming into the league this season.

Sandman42

Mike Works said:
I agree with Barrage, San Jose and Anaheim could finish better than Dallas this season (though a lot of that will depend on the former's goaltending), but I don't see Phoenix doing it at all. Phoenix is going to be one of the most overrated teams coming into the league this season.
I don't know, I'm starting to like Pheonix. They have one of the best defenses in the conference.
Jovanovski - Extremely solid D-man will provide leadership for the Yotes.
Ballard - Up and coming player. Really had a surprising rookie season last year
Morris - Another good defenseman, really underrated. Good No. 3 guy.
Boynton - This guy is also pretty good, a terrific addition to the second pairing.
Seidenberg - Decent puck moving defenseman, not a bad pickup.
Michalek - Another young D. He is pretty solid in all areas.

Up front they aren't bad either.

Doan - Great gritty forward who can put up some points.
Nagy - Amazingly skilled guy. He's had some injury problems though.
Comrie - He's still young and had a good year last year. (30g 30a)
Reinprecht - The dude went on a scoring binge after he left the flames. (12g in 25GP)
Roenick - Much like Lindros, Roenick is a huge question mark. He could still produce.
Nolan - Nobody knows what to expect from this guy, but a 20g season wouldn't be impossible.

Then they have Curtis Joseph in net, still a top netminder.

You can't say Pheonix is bad in any area. Sure, Roenick and Nolan are risky signings, but you could say the same thing about the Stars signing Lindros, and Sydor. Two players who are clearly past their prime.

guys so which NHL game are we getting this season?

Personally i am leaning towards NHL07 this year eventhough 2k series has been better for the last 5 years or so.

after watching this video i am seriously looking forward to the EA hockey game. http://www.gametrailers.com/downloadnew.php?id=12158&type=wmv&f=

The NHL07 previews at gamespot and 1up are also making it up to be an awesome game.

2k series seems to have stopped improving and has that gimmicky new cinemotion crap now.

I am gonna buy the EA game and if its still pinball on ice its back to the trusted 2k series.

Sandman42 said:
I don't know, I'm starting to like Pheonix. They have one of the best defenses in the conference.
Jovanovski - Extremely solid D-man will provide leadership for the Yotes.
Ballard - Up and coming player. Really had a surprising rookie season last year
Morris - Another good defenseman, really underrated. Good No. 3 guy.
Boynton - This guy is also pretty good, a terrific addition to the second pairing.
Seidenberg - Decent puck moving defenseman, not a bad pickup.
Michalek - Another young D. He is pretty solid in all areas.
I look at their defense and see a ton of young guys to go along with Jovo- who's great offensively and poor defensively- and Morris who is friggin overrated, not underrated, considering what he's been traded for.

Up front they aren't bad either.

Doan - Great gritty forward who can put up some points.
Nagy - Amazingly skilled guy. He's had some injury problems though.
Comrie - He's still young and had a good year last year. (30g 30a)
Reinprecht - The dude went on a scoring binge after he left the flames. (12g in 25GP)
Roenick - Much like Lindros, Roenick is a huge question mark. He could still produce.
Nolan - Nobody knows what to expect from this guy, but a 20g season wouldn't be impossible.

Then they have Curtis Joseph in net, still a top netminder.
Look at that list, who have they added since last season. Jeremy Roenick? Owen Nolan? That's nothing. Absolutely nothing. I've always liked Joseph, but Phoenix's problem last season wasn't goal.

You can't say Pheonix is bad in any area. Sure, Roenick and Nolan are risky signings, but you could say the same thing about the Stars signing Lindros, and Sydor. Two players who are clearly past their prime.
The Stars got worse over the off season, yes, but they were the second best team in the conference in the regular season. A 2nd overall seed getting a little worse is still better than a 10th overall seed arguably getting a little better.

Karakand

Kabuki Waq said:
guys so which NHL game are we getting this season?

Personally i am leaning towards NHL07 this year eventhough 2k series has been better for the last 5 years or so.

after watching this video i am seriously looking forward to the EA hockey game. http://www.gametrailers.com/downloadnew.php?id=12158&type=wmv&f=

I've taken a break from NHL games after 2K5 but overall that is looking pretty snazzy.

Tangent: Stop bringing up NHL '94 every time you talk about EA's new hockey game, media. Not only is there never going to be another '94 but it kind of wears out the label when you do it all the time.

edit: The dual stick controls sound freakin' sweet. Sold.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
Why would you guys want 07 and not 2K7. The EA games are ****in horrible to control and feel like an arcadey joke. Real simulation is in 2K7.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Ive been an avid 2k series guy for awhile, but the EA stuff is really selling me. I hate EA :( I know I'll end up with both :(

Hitman said:
Why would you guys want 07 and not 2K7. The EA games are ****in horrible to control and feel like an arcadey joke. Real simulation is in 2K7.

go to the link i posted. The controls scheme hasa lot of potantial and well the 2k series seems to have stopped improving.

Sandman42

I'm sick of 2k hockey. It just isn't fun. 2k6 was very glitchy and the A.I was pretty poor (especially on power plays). It just didn't feel right, plus the animations just look like total ass. NHL 2k7 brings nothing new to the table. Unless you consider this "cinemotion" bullshit something new. Yeah okay, lets play hockey to an orchestral score. :|

NHL 07 is at least trying something different. The two sticks sounds just like the hockey genre needs. A little innovation, a little change, a lotta fun.

NHL 07 it is for me. Although grabbing both games (current gen) can be done for under the price of a regular game.

Sandman42

Mike Works said:
I look at their defense and see a ton of young guys to go along with Jovo- who's great offensively and poor defensively- and Morris who is friggin overrated, not underrated, considering what he's been traded for.

Look at that list, who have they added since last season. Jeremy Roenick? Owen Nolan? That's nothing. Absolutely nothing. I've always liked Joseph, but Phoenix's problem last season wasn't goal.

The Stars got worse over the off season, yes, but they were the second best team in the conference in the regular season. A 2nd overall seed getting a little worse is still better than a 10th overall seed arguably getting a little better.
Well I'm not exactly expecting Pheonix to blow away the Stars, but I still say they will compete very closely with them.

As for your comments on defense, I disagree. Jovanovski is more then competent on defense. He's no Chris Pronger but you can't say that he is a bad defenseman. Morris is also good defenseman (probably better than any D man on the Nucks other than Ohlund).

And the Yotes offense? It may not be as deep as the Sabres or as dominating as the Sharks but it isn't bad. I would say that yes, maybe the Stars have them beat on offense, but not by much.

Overall I would say:
OFFENSE:
STARS > COYOTES
DEFENSE:
COYOTES > STARS
GOALTENDING:
About even, maybe a slight edge to Turco.

Karakand

Sandman42 said:
:lol at Gamespot's 9.3 for NHL 2k5. They probably gave them .1 of a point for every glitch in the game.

My personal favorite bug was the one that would lock up my franchise when I had the computer auto-manage line subs because of injuries. Kind of a fundamental thing there, guys.

Sandman42 said:
I'm sick of 2k hockey. It just isn't fun. 2k6 was very glitchy and the A.I was pretty poor (especially on power plays). It just didn't feel right, plus the animations just look like total ass. NHL 2k7 brings nothing new to the table. Unless you consider this "cinemotion" bullshit something new. Yeah okay, lets play hockey to an orchestral score. :|

NHL 07 is at least trying something different. The two sticks sounds just like the hockey genre needs. A little innovation, a little change, a lotta fun.

NHL 07 it is for me. Although grabbing both games (current gen) can be done for under the price of a regular game.

The EA games always have much worse AI and Animation. The games always feel really arcadey. I am hoping this is not the case with 07. The new control scheme is what is selling me on the game.

Sandman42 said:
Did you guys hear this bullshit?
http://www.nypost.com/sports/get_outta_town__sports_larry_brooks.htm
Apparently, Charles Wang doesn't want Garth Snow to negotiate a contract with Rick DiPetro untill he (Wang) has returned from his vacation at the end of August.

:lol Garth Snow has absolutley no say whatever in the Islanders organization (if you can even call it that). He is clearly a opinionless figurehead.

gepetstanding2b.jpg

Sandman42 said:
I'm not saying EA's games were good in 2005 or 2006. From 2000-2004 they had some pretty good games though.

what?

wtf? those games were some of the worst EA hockey games ever. It really was pinball on ice back then with 20 goals per game and shit.

Barrage

Sandman42 said:
Overall I would say:
OFFENSE:
STARS > COYOTES
DEFENSE:
COYOTES > STARS
GOALTENDING:
About even, maybe a slight edge to Turco.

I would disagree. I think you are vastly underrating Dallasè defence. You can say Jovo will lead this, that and the other, but the fact is that when you add everything up, Sergei Zubov is a Top 4 Defenceman in the NHL. Itès not like Dallas has no youth on the blueline, either: Trevor Daley continues to improve every year and is only 23. The rest of Dallasè D may be old, but I would say that guys like Klemm and Boucher still have something to give. The main difference is that Dallas defense has proven that they can be good. Phoenix D has proven nothing.

P.S. speaking for fundamental flaws in hockey games, why does A) NHL 2006 have no Fantasy Draft for Dynasty Mode, and B) Have no Salary Cap, so you essentially sign every available Free Agent every year?

Barrage said:
I would disagree. I think you are vastly underrating Dallasè defence. You can say Jovo will lead this, that and the other, but the fact is that when you add everything up, Sergei Zubov is a Top 4 Defenceman in the NHL. Itès not like Dallas has no youth on the blueline, either: Trevor Daley continues to improve every year and is only 23. The rest of Dallasè D may be old, but I would say that guys like Klemm and Boucher still have something to give. The main difference is that Dallas defense has proven that they can be good. Phoenix D has proven nothing.

P.S. speaking for fundamental flaws in hockey games, why does A) NHL 2006 have no Fantasy Draft for Dynasty Mode, and B) Have no Salary Cap, so you essentially sign every available Free Agent every year?

Yeah, it's pretty sad about NHL 06 not having a salary cap or fantasy draft. I mean, you can trade for draft picks but they are practically useless and as for the salary cap, my team is at $60 million so I can build a powerhouse and just win constantly.

Not a great observation on EA's part.

Sandman42

Cold-Steel said:
Yeah, it's pretty sad about NHL 06 not having a salary cap or fantasy draft. I mean, you can trade for draft picks but they are practically useless and as for the salary cap, my team is at $60 million so I can build a powerhouse and just win constantly.

Not a great observation on EA's part.
Well they do have all that in NHL 07. They have a hard salary cap that may increase or decrease every season. Plus EA also added one and two way contracts.

Sandman42

Barrage said:
Dallas does have a good defense. Nothing spectacular, but they are solid.

But this is all on paper. Nothing ever works like it should on paper. I believe the Coyotes will be much better than they look on paper. As for the Stars, much worse.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Shero is at it again, Pittsburgh Predators!

The Predators have also hired pro scout Shawn Dineen to replace Dan McKinnon, who has taken a similar job with the Pittsburgh Penguins.

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia has declared an all-out war on the National Hockey League (NHL), accusing the North Americans of stealing its best players.

"We can't just sit around and do nothing while the NHL takes our best players," Tretyak told local media.

Malkin has faxed a letter to Metallurg, asking them to annul his contract, which he said he had signed under pressure.

Velichkin denying putting any pressure on Malkin.

"He talks about pressure. What pressure?" Velichkin said. "You can ask militia (Russian police) about pressure. Pressure is when they bang your head against a wall radiator.

"As far as the letter he faxed to us, it wasn't written by Malkin so I think it's a pure fabrication. I just threw it in the garbage can."

Asked about the sum he was seeking for Malkin, Velichkin said: "Before his disappearance I was asking for $2 million from Pittsburgh but now I want more, a lot more."

http://today.reuters.com/news/artic...KOC_0_US-ICE-HOCKEY-RUSSIA.xml&src=rss&rpc=22
God bless Evgeni Malkin :lol :lol :lol

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Does this guy not realize what he sounds like in the press? I mean, God bless him for providing us with rich sound bites and wonderful copy, but in the court of public opinion he's not doing himself or the Russian federation any favours. :lol

calder

The NHL needs to institute a Mark Cuban Bylaw and draft Gennady Velichkin into a senior management position. Maybe GM of the Bruins or something. We need this guy flipping out and sounding like a cartoon KGB villian all year, not just in the off season! I love how he dismissed pressuring Malkin by using police brutality as a benchmark for actual pressure. :lol Makes you wonder if Velichkin was speaking from experience about getting the beatdown from the local cops during a presumed pre-hockey career as a criminal or whether he's just a fan of whamming guys' heads onto radiators.

Also, anyone taking bets on whether the Jackets sign Zherdev? Talk about a stituation that could easily go either way, I hope it lingers late into training camp so I can take a late-round flier on him and pray he gets signed.
talented winger Nikolai Zherdev is threatening instead to play in his mother country this season unless the Columbus Blue Jackets step in contract talks with the 21-year-old restricted free agent.

"The Russian threat doesn't faze me in the least," Jackets GM Doug MacLean said Monday from his Columbus office.

Zherdev has signed a deal with Russian club Khimik Voskresenk and has played with the club for the last few weeks.

"They're in full-fledged pre-season now," his agent Rolland Hedges said from Ottawa.

"Everybody thinks that we're using the Russian contract as a bluff or leverage, but we're not," added Hedges. "The player is quite adamant that he's prepared to play there, and he's been doing it for some eight weeks."

The Russian deal includes an out clause if Zherdev can agree to terms with Columbus before Oct. 5, the day before the Jackets' regular-season opener. But the Jackets want this revolved much before then.

"Our deadline is what needs to be done immigration-wise in time for Day 1 of our training camp (Sept. 14) because he's not going to be a distraction to our team," said MacLean. "So my deadline is looming fairly soon."

Zherdev was second in goals (27) and points (54) with the Jackets last season, his second in the NHL. Now he wants a raise on the $942,400 US salary he earned last season. The Jackets are believed to have offered a little over $1 million for a one-year deal or $3 million over two years, not close to what the Zherdev camp wants.

"If we keep talking the way we're talking, there is no breakthrough here," said Hedges, who originally wanted a long-term deal but will settle for a one-year deal that pays enough. "My player is prepared to sit it out for a year. He can make a lot more money in Russia. The problem is that he'd rather play in the NHL. So it's frustrating for him right now."

What baffles MacLean is that Zherdev, with the help of the Jackets, fought hard to get out of Russia two years ago, battling litigation from his old club CSKA Moscow to bolt to the Jackets.

"I guess I'm a little taken aback that it cost us in excess of $600,000 to get him out of Russia," said MacLean. "Now he's saying he wants to go back? That catches me a little off-guard. ...

"What we went through to get him out of there and now there's a threat to stay there? Good grief. It's unbelievable."

Zherdev is among a number of high-profile restricted free agents that remain without new deals, joining the likes of Joffrey Lupul in Edmonton, Ilja Bryzgalov in Anaheim, Kari Lehtonen in Atlanta, Patrice Bergeron in Boston, Ryan Miller in Buffalo, Tuomo Ruutu in Chicago, Marek Svatos in Colorado, Dan Hamhuis in Nashville, Brian Gionta in New Jersey, Rick DiPietro on Long Island and Simon Gagne in Philadelphia.

"What we have is no different that what other teams are going through, like Lupul, Ruutu," said MacLean. "I'm negotiating off NHL comparables, I'm not negotiating off a Russian threat.

"I've got a one-year deal on the table and I've got a two-year deal on the table," added MacLean. "That's where we are. We'll probably talk in the next couple of days."

Said Hedges: "We're as frustrated as Doug is. He has a line to walk and so do we."
I dunno, I have a feeling he'll play the whole year in Russia.

FightyF

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
go to the link i posted. The controls scheme hasa lot of potantial and well the 2k series seems to have stopped improving.

2K is up there with being complete controls wise, they just need to fix the bugs and smooth out the AI.

For better or worse both games are going to be opposites of each other in some ways. EA's game goes back to a more PowerPlay 96-ish view of the rink, which is great for setting up plays, while 2K's is getting closer to the action with it's cinemotion feature (which scares me as it hints of EA's arcadification of the experience). 2K offers complete control of the player's skating, whereas EA's offers complete control of the stick and puck (which you can do in 2K anyways by holding the L trigger and using the right analog stick, as far as manual deking goes, but you cannot shoot this way).

I don't see EA's game matching up, but it could be fun to shoot the puck with the right analog stick. :p

calder said:
Also, anyone taking bets on whether the Jackets sign Zherdev?
I just hope it gets settled soon. A lot of people- myself included- got ****ed in our hockey pool when someone took Kovalchuk as his very last pick (he would have been stuck with him all year even if he played in Russia). I don't want that happening again.

Sonki.

Banned
Fight for Freeform said:
2K is up there with being complete controls wise, they just need to fix the bugs and smooth out the AI.

For better or worse both games are going to be opposites of each other in some ways. EA's game goes back to a more PowerPlay 96-ish view of the rink, which is great for setting up plays, while 2K's is getting closer to the action with it's cinemotion feature (which scares me as it hints of EA's arcadification of the experience). 2K offers complete control of the player's skating, whereas EA's offers complete control of the stick and puck (which you can do in 2K anyways by holding the L trigger and using the right analog stick, as far as manual deking goes, but you cannot shoot this way).

I don't see EA's game matching up, but it could be fun to shoot the puck with the right analog stick. :p
Agreed. The more I see of this NHL 07 game, the more it saddens me. Has awesome presentation, some good ideas. But it just won't match up with the better yet buggier 2K series.

Edit: Just saw the HD preview for 07, and my opinion is still the same. I mean, I'm getting excited for what the 2k series already HAS. The graphics look real clean. But the movements seem way to jerky. Love some of teh goalie animations. We will really have to wait until both hit stores.

Sonki. said:
Agreed. The more I see of this NHL 07 game, the more it saddens me. Has awesome presentation, some good ideas. But it just won't match up with the better yet buggier 2K series.

Edit: Just saw the HD preview for 07, and my opinion is still the same. I mean, I'm getting excited for what the 2k series already HAS. The graphics look real clean. But the movements seem way to jerky. Love some of teh goalie animations. We will really have to wait until both hit stores.

I agree about the Animation but i ask what really has changed interm of on ice gameplay in 2k7? the Cinemotion thing doesnt look too good. The new skating animations are the only thing i see.

sure there is a 50% chance nhl 07 will suck and its another case of me falling for their presentation and marketing skills. But if that is the case i will just trade it in for 2k7.

Right now NHL 07 just seems too ambitious to pass up.

Sonki.

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
I agree about the Animation but i ask what really has changed interm of on ice gameplay in 2k7? the Cinemotion thing doesnt look too good. The new skating animations are the only thing i see.

sure there is a 50% chance nhl 07 will suck and its another case of me falling for their presentation and marketing skills. But if that is the case i will just trade it in for 2k7.

Right now NHL 07 just seems too ambitious to pass up.
Go for it, Heck.. I'll probably pick it up for the graphics alone.

Well, the whole controlling hte stick in 07 can be done in the 2K series.. Like FFF said, hold the left trigger and use the right analog stick.

So 07's doesn't excite me that much. And I don't care for franchise mode or anything, and that's where EA has 2K beat.

I'm just looking for core gameplay, and I know 2k will give me greatness. Could the game be better? Heck yeah.. But it will have to do.

But damnit, when will KUSH learn to change goal celebrations and such? I swear they are using the same ones from NHL 2k2 on the Dreamcast.

I'm still waiting for the funnest and most realistic hockey game ever.

TemplaerDude said:
I'll pick up 2K7 when I get a 360 later this year. But gods army couldn't force me to waste money on the rehash that is EA's yearly cash grab.

yea im reconsidering my stance after the impressions that were posted in gaming forum hockey thread :(

SA-X

Alright people, yahoo fantasy hockey is up, so its time for us to waste another year of our lives being wanna be gms again. :D

I was bored so I took the liberty of making a roto league for us. There are spots for 12 teams and it tracks the same stats as last years league. PM me for the name and password if you're interested.

...and Calder, last year was just practice.

edit: alright, here's the info:

League ID#: 427
League Name: NeoGAF Roto
Password: neogaf

calder

*cough*
Hockey 2005 1 of 12 Manitoba Jets Gaming Age Roto
Hockey 2003 1 of 9 Manitoba Jets GA Hockey

Wish it went back further, I'm thinking I have another one or two of those shiny gold trophies from you suckers. :D

Can't believe I was smart enough to get Spezza and Heater in 2 of my yahoo leagues, and dumb enough to trade Heater for Iggy in the GAF one and Spezza for Turco in the other. :lol

dem

You people seriously need to get on it and sign up for the yahoo gaf fantasy league...

Theres only 10 days till the live draft.
A live draft I'll attend this year... which will mean victory. No more Lemieux with my first overall :lol

calder

The draft could be moved up a couple weeks couldn't it? I like an early draft, but let's not do it in summer! :lol

And I'm sad about the Yahoo default prerankings. Last year because of the lockout they were just ridiculous and anyone who missed the draft had a shitty team guaranteed because of it. This year... they aren't great but they are at least sane.

1. J. Thornton
2. M. Kiprusoff
3. A. Ovechkin
4. J. Jagr
5. D. Heatley
6. S. Crosby
7. J. Cheechoo
8. D. Alfredsson
9. I. Kovalchuk
10. J. Spezza
11. M. Brodeur
12. M. Hossa
13. N. Lidstrom
14. R. Luongo
15. J. Jokinen
16. E. Staal
17. R. Nash
18. M. Naslund
19. C. Pronger
20. H. Zetterberg
21. M. Gaborik
22. R. Miller
23. R. Niedermayer
24. J. Iginla
25. B. McCabe

One thing's for sure, Naslund doesn't crack my top 30. And Miller is a wee bit high, I wouldn't have more than 1 goalie in the top 25 (Kipper around tenth).

Giard

dem said:
You people seriously need to get on it and sign up for the yahoo gaf fantasy league...

Theres only 10 days till the live draft.
A live draft I'll attend this year... which will mean victory. No more Lemieux with my first overall :lol

Is it public or private? If private, whats the ID/Pass?

I would be interested to join

EDIT: If you answer, you'll have the 2000th reply as a gift

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom