• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

djkimothy

Had to be done.

IMG_6650copy.jpg

calder

Wow, autopicking always leave you ****ed on one position, and that's sure me in goal this year. :lol I have enought depth at forward I can easily swing a trade for a decent goalie before the season starts so I'm not too worried.

I had my eye on Radulov, but holy shit someone reached waaaay up and got him in the 7th round?? Crazy pick for a guy who's iffy to make the team out of training camp, but I guess if you have Nashville in your team's name you can justify it. ;)

Funny to see Zherdev fell to the dead last pick - on my prerankings he was one spot behind Hamrlik and sure enough Hammer was available. Think there's a very good chance Zherdev spends all year in Russia and so do most of you obviously, I'm just glad the Jackets said they definitely weren't going to trade him now or else I would have had him as a 10th rounder or so.

The more I look at my team the more I like it, I have a ton of pop and some great defense too - if any of you are foolish enough to trade me a goalie it's all over for this league again. :D

calder

Barrage said:
Who needs a good Goalie when you have a defensive superstar like Adrian Aucoin?
:lol Aucoin is going to have a monster bounce-back season and you're going to be trying to trade for him by November... which is about when Staal gets sent to the AHL for the bulk of the season.

My wings are stacked. I think I'll dangle Knuble for a quality starter and move Colby "Holy **** I'm Gonna Play All Year With Crosby" Armstrong off my bench.

dem

My team is filled with comeback hopefuls.. which probably isnt a good sign :lol

Tkachuk, Guerin, Fedorov, Theodore... and to a lesser extent Giggy.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
calder said:
I had my eye on Radulov, but holy shit someone reached waaaay up and got him in the 7th round?? Crazy pick for a guy who's iffy to make the team out of training camp, but I guess if you have Nashville in your team's name you can justify it. ;)
Haha. Nah, I picked him in the 16th round. He's my last round sleeper calder cup winner.

But if you want an update on Radulov... I love this kid, his release is insanely quick. We're deep at forward and they've had him on a really weak line (crash and bang guys) which tells me they're trying to see what he can do and how little he can do it with. I'm certain that he'll be on the team this year, and im pretty certain that he'll be there from the start. He's looked incredible in drills, but the whole team is still gettin their legs and offense clicking in scrimmabe. He almost made the team last year, but they just wanted him to have another year in juniors. But yea, he's looked good in practice, I guess the big test is going to be these next few preseason games because I'm thinking he'll be out there quite a bit.

sefskillz

Cold-Steel said:
I feel like I'm looking at pictures of the Nashville Sabres first practice of the season.
full.getty-71899849rs004_sabres_prac_5_04_31_pm.jpg

"These jerseys are so ****ing ugly."
"No doubt man, this shit is ****ing ridiculous."

calder

sefskillz said:
Haha. Nah, I picked him in the 16th round. He's my last round sleeper calder cup winner.
Ahh, I was looking at the wrong draft table and thought you picked him up in the 7th round, but he was the 7th pick in the last round. That makes a lot more sense. I had him up pretty high on my predraft rankings (147th to be exact, way above a couple of players I ended up with) but I read a report from the Nashville Tenneessean that said the Preds top 6 forwards are in pretty solid and it'll be tough for Radulov to make it onto one of the scoring lines.

And am I the only person who thinks the Sabres new unis aren't *that* bad? Sure they aren't good by any means, and if you're a fan of the team who appreciated the old logo and/or colours you'll be even less happy with the bland new style, but I wouldn't say they're ugly jerseys. Just very ordinary and typical of post 90's corporate sports teams, where everything kinda looks the same and is designed to be as "ok" as possible to appeal to consumers.

EDIT: just for giggles, here's my top 10 draft picks. Getting Heater at 2nd overall was what I would have done had I been there naturally, and I also had Ovechkin as my #1 overall
1. A. Ovechkin
2. D. Heatley
3. J. Thornton
4. D. Alfredsson
5. J. Jagr
6. S. Crosby
7. J. Cheechoo
8. J. Spezza
9. I. Kovalchuk
10. M. Kiprusoff

Holy shit I just noticed that dem took Pitkanen in the second round?? I loved that guy last year and had him moved up what I thought was pretty high on my list, but at 112th. dem your first few rounds are a bit odd, but you got a pretty nice team largely because you were able to get some great picks in the middle rounds (Gomez, Lupul, Frolov, Tkachunk). I think Manny Fernandez was pretty high, especially when you could have gotten Gerber or a shitload or avaailable forwards instead.

calder

WTS? The Coyotes no-name coach has noted burnout JR centering the #1 line with Doan and Mike Comrie, which sounds pretty crazy on it's own but it bumps Nagy down to the second line with mildly effective Steve Reinprecht and 50 year old Owen Nolan. HEY COYOTES COACH, WHOEVER THE HELL YOU ARE, NAGY IS YOUR BEST AND MOST TALENTED PLAYER. PUT HIM ON THE FIRST LINE PLZKTHNX.

sefskillz

Alucard said:
Pre-season starts today. Rejoice!
yea we're going to need a preseason thread to make it easier to track everyone's crazy ass predictions. 17 days until opening day!

Osorio

sefskillz said:
yea we're going to need a preseason thread to make it easier to track everyone's crazy ass predictions. 17 days until opening day!
I'm already enjoying preseason as the Devils are beating the Bruins 3-0. Though I think Boston only has people fighting to make the team out there.

calder

Alucard said:
Pre-season starts today. Rejoice!
Like an idiot, I'm not going to tonights Oilers/Yotes game here in Winnipeg. Granted I hate both teams, but I like guys on both teams at least and it would have been nice to see even a couple of split squads go at it. I tried to do it for cheap and weasel into a potential club seat from a guy at work who was trying to get them from a supplier but it all fell through for most of us.

sefskillz

Radulov is going to be on the first line tonight with Vasichek and Hartnell it looks like. I'm predicting 8 points for Rads tonight.

dem

calder said:
Ahh, I was looking at the wrong draft table and thought you picked him up in the 7th round, but he was the 7th pick in the last round. That makes a lot more sense. I had him up pretty high on my predraft rankings (147th to be exact, way above a couple of players I ended up with) but I read a report from the Nashville Tenneessean that said the Preds top 6 forwards are in pretty solid and it'll be tough for Radulov to make it onto one of the scoring lines.

And am I the only person who thinks the Sabres new unis aren't *that* bad? Sure they aren't good by any means, and if you're a fan of the team who appreciated the old logo and/or colours you'll be even less happy with the bland new style, but I wouldn't say they're ugly jerseys. Just very ordinary and typical of post 90's corporate sports teams, where everything kinda looks the same and is designed to be as "ok" as possible to appeal to consumers.

EDIT: just for giggles, here's my top 10 draft picks. Getting Heater at 2nd overall was what I would have done had I been there naturally, and I also had Ovechkin as my #1 overall
1. A. Ovechkin
2. D. Heatley
3. J. Thornton
4. D. Alfredsson
5. J. Jagr
6. S. Crosby
7. J. Cheechoo
8. J. Spezza
9. I. Kovalchuk
10. M. Kiprusoff

Holy shit I just noticed that dem took Pitkanen in the second round?? I loved that guy last year and had him moved up what I thought was pretty high on my list, but at 112th. dem your first few rounds are a bit odd, but you got a pretty nice team largely because you were able to get some great picks in the middle rounds (Gomez, Lupul, Frolov, Tkachunk). I think Manny Fernandez was pretty high, especially when you could have gotten Gerber or a shitload or avaailable forwards instead.

Meh.. maybe I'm crazy. I like Pitkanen. Someone grabbed Lidstrom so i decided to make my move on D before they were all gone. And looking at the draft I was pretty much right. I thought I did good sneaking Jovo in the 7th round. Though i will agree with you that i made some wierd picks at the start. I kept saying during the first half of the draft that i hated my team.

My wtf pick of the day was Tony Salmelainen in the 9th round. This guy was in the Oilers system for a million years and never made the team. We stuffed him in the bag of pucks we gave Chicago for Spacek. A career minor leaguer thats going to be playing in CHICAGO. Drafted before M. Hejduk, D. Sedin, A. Yashin, K. Tkachuk, S. Samsonov... and it goes on and on..

Regarding Gerber... I was thinking about taking him.. but i wasnt even sure he'd be the #1 in Ottawa. Emery always seems to be right there waiting to take the starters job.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
calder said:
Funny to see Zherdev fell to the dead last pick - on my prerankings he was one spot behind Hamrlik and sure enough Hammer was available. Think there's a very good chance Zherdev spends all year in Russia and so do most of you obviously, I'm just glad the Jackets said they definitely weren't going to trade him now or else I would have had him as a 10th rounder or so.

Obviously no one thinks he's going to play over here this year, but with the very last pick, I though it was worth the shot.

For you leafers, Raycrofts new mask design

raycroft2.jpg
raycroft3.jpg

I like the potvin touch.

dem

Mihknov has scorrrrred!

Oilers stomp the Yotes

Mihknov with a goal and 2 assists :D
Dubnyk with a shutout :D

I wish Lupul would have scored.. but it didnt sound like he played much.

Giard

I didn't autopick cause i was studying, and I couldn't be at the draft cause of a funeral. I have nice goalies, but god, my forwards have to be the worst in the league =/

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Wolf said:
I'm wondering if anyone here can name everyone feautred on that mask.

1st pic: I think it is Potvin, Palmateer, Gilmour, Clark, Sittler, and at the top I can't really tell who it is.

2nd pic: Bower, Mahovlich, Horton, Barilko

Nice mask, but I wonder why Keon isn't on it.

My sister was golfing with Wendel Clark at a charity event last week. She works for Siemens and said he was shy at first but then opened up. He told her that he doesn't work out at all now and that every time he puts on the skates to play with his son, he feels a lot of physical pain.

Guy was fun to watch here in Toronto when he played.

She also said Johnny Bower is a pretty good golfer. Dude is still alive?:lol

Since we've got Raycroft's new mask, might as well take a look at Luongo's new mask:

luongostand_b.jpg

luongomasktop_b.jpg

luongomaskside_b.jpg

luongomaskback_b.jpg

I like it. Personally, I think Auld's mask was better but this one is pretty cool.

sefskillz said:
Radulov is going to be on the first line tonight with Vasichek and Hartnell it looks like. I'm predicting 8 points for Rads tonight.
I predict they don't score a goal and go 0-12 on the Power Play.

Good thing it's only Pre-Season.

sefskillz

The Internet said:
I predict they don't score a goal and go 0-12 on the Power Play.

Good thing it's only Pre-Season.
i am cry. our prospects looked good last night though. 38 shots and lots of chances. not bad considering we only had 5 non-prospects playing.

sefskillz said:
i am cry. our prospects looked good last night though. 38 shots and lots of chances. not bad considering we only had 5 non-prospects playing.
On an unrelated note, I watched an AJHL game in Grande Prairie on the weekend and watched Scottie Upshall's little brother beat the hell out of some poor Asian on skates.

Sandman42 said:
Buffalo Slugs Vs. Leafs tonight! I'm predicting a 5-4 Leaf victory over the slugs.

I don't know... that Paul Maurice... I swear, if the Leafs play anything like Carolina did when he was coaching there, we'll be lucky to reach 180 goals this year.

Sandman42

The Leafs are probably going to lose these next couple pre-season games. Mainly because they haven't had enough time to even start learning their new system. Paul Maurice showed them a short video of what their forechecking system should look like, but they haven't had any time to learn it. It will be a good week or so before the Leafs actually look like a team.

Why doesn't the NHL extend training camp? 2 practices and an intrasquad game aren't enough for a team to prepare.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
well don't forget preseason has all the rookies competing for position

afaik Kaberle, Peca, Kilger and o'neill aren't dressed for the game and you have all these freshmen who simply aren't ready for NHL primetime. McCabe looks out of it. completely out of it. Like he tries to pass and misses, tries his flying hip check and misses... tries to do a canopener and fails to do so.

the only 3 players on the ice that looks like they're trying is Raycroft, sundin and antropov

Sandman42

DopeyFish said:
well don't forget preseason has all the rookies competing for position

afaik Kaberle, Peca, Kilger and o'neill aren't dressed for the game and you have all these freshmen who simply aren't ready for NHL primetime. McCabe looks out of it. completely out of it. Like he tries to pass and misses, tries his flying hip check and misses... tries to do a canopener and fails to do so.

the only 3 players on the ice that looks like they're trying is Raycroft, sundin and antropov
You really can't look too much into pre-season games. People are just trying to get their legs under them right now. All Maurice did this week was practice a few hard skating drills and some passing drills. Everyone will look lost out there with all these new guys.

I dont like how Maurice said he doesnt Believe in Scrimmages.....Scrimmages really helped me back in the MTHL days in terms of Awareness and getting in the groove of things.

calder

Great One recalls Jets' past and holds out hope for NHL future

How about Wayne Gretzky for commissioner?

If it ever happens, Winnipeg hockey fans will have a more sympathetic ear at NHL head office than they've had under the watch of current league boss Gary Bettman.

Gretzky blew through town for an exhibition game with his Phoenix Coyotes yesterday, and he didn't waste any time weighing in on the possibility of big-league hockey returning to Winnipeg.

Getting his first look at the downtown arena, and saying it compares favourably with the new facility his team has in Phoenix, The Great One didn't poo-poo The Great Winnipeg Hope.

"When the franchise left years ago, there were a lot of reasons as to why the team left," Gretzky began. "A lot of those issues have sort of changed. By that, I mean the salary cap, obviously, revenue sharing to a certain degree, the American-Canadian dollar is stronger than it was ... and the new facility. So there's a lot more in favour of Winnipeg maybe some day getting an NHL franchise back."

Gretzky didn't stop there.

"I know the league, the players themselves, enjoy playing here," he said. "The visiting teams enjoy the atmosphere in this city. There's a lot better chance in this day and age that this city could get a franchise than maybe 10 years ago. Whether or not it happens is something the league has to work out, and ownerships have to work out. But obviously this city's always going to get talked about, because it's a good hockey city."

By the time he was done, Gretzky had sent more platitudes our way in two minutes than Bettman has in 13 years in office.

Judging by the reaction Gretzky got last night, the feeling is mutual.

The sellout crowd may have been decidedly pro-Edmonton Oiler, but one of the loudest cheers came when Gretzky's face appeared on the big screen.

There was a time, not so long ago, when an appearance by No. 99 in this town sparked chants of "Gretzky sucks!" every time he so much as eyed the puck.

Today he could not only run for mayor, he'd sweep away the incumbent faster than the Goldeyes were swept from the Northern League playoffs.

"We always talked about, even back then, the respect we had for Winnipeg as a team," Gretzky said, reminiscing for a moment. "I think the difference in a lot of those series was probably one person, and that was our goaltender. The teams were pretty evenly matched, but Grant Fuhr was the best goaltender in hockey."

And either Gretzky is the best politician in the game, or he really has a soft spot for the 'Peg.

It turns out it was The Great One who had the great idea of having the Coyotes pay tribute to our hockey history by playing in Jets jerseys last night.

Nobody seems to know why the plan was nixed, but Gretzky was clearly disappointed.

"I just thought it'd be something unique -- the old Oiler-Jet sort of thing," he said. "Unfortunately, that didn't transpire."

Judging by the crowd last night, most Jets fans have cut the ties, turning their allegiance over to western Canadian teams like Calgary and, yes, even the team they used to love to hate.

The Coyotes, though, are going to keep cultivating their history.

"There's always been a relationship and a history that's going to be with the Jets and Phoenix," Gretzky said. "Forever. There's always fans who come down from Manitoba to Phoenix in the wintertime and often talk about the Jets. We've now slowly started honouring the great Jets players. Last year was Thomas Steen. This year we'll do Dale Hawerchuk."

Who'd have guessed?

The man who used to kill this town's playoff hopes is now keeping the memory of its team alive.
*sniff*

Still hate the Coyotes though.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Damn. Playing in Jets uniforms would've been pretty cool, albeit a bit of a tease.
I don't remember the Jets much; only that my Oilers always use to kill them in the playoffs.

But they had a great logo!
winnipegjetslogo92-2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom