• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fei

I just want to point out the Sabres just signed Ryan Miller to a 3 year, $8M deal a few days ago. Is there any way to justify DiPietro's signing of $4.5/year even if this was a 4 year deal? I can't imagine what Isles' fans are feeling today.. or this whole summer actually. Ted Nolan is probably wishing he was still coaching in the minors at this point.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
I like the Daly quote:
''Clubs are free to make their own decsions within the confines laid out in the collective bargaining agreement and other applicable league rules,'' NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told The Canadian Press. ''Some decisions turn out well, others not so well. Time will tell whether this will be a good decision or a bad one for the Islanders.''

==== translation ===>

"EL :lolL EL ISLANDERZ!"

btw: W00t on Lupul - 3 years for $7M is decent; just a smidge above Kesler money :lol

Manics said:
Ah, Wang. Leaf fans like myself are so familiar with the likes of you. You sir are just like the late, demented Harold Ballard with one big exception. Harold was a tight wad and would never part with his money, you throw it around like it's going out of style. End result, you both run your respective hockey teams into the ground where it takes them an entire era to recover from.

Well done sir, well done.

Amen....

"It means the owner is a moron," one NHL executive told ESPN.com on Tuesday. "It makes no sense. This is all about Charles Wang's ego."

"I'd say he's virtually unmovable now," an NHL GM told ESPN.com on Tuesday.

What if, five years down the road, the Islanders stumble on a young netminder who is better and cheaper than DiPietro? And the chances are good they will. What then? What if the Islanders actually found a team looking for goaltending depth or a team that believes DiPietro could be the final piece of a Stanley Cup puzzle? What GM in his right mind is going to take on a player who still has 10 years and $45 million outstanding on his contract?

The same number of GMs that are lining up to take Yashin off the Islanders' hands now. Zero.

:lol

Malakhov

Banned
Next Tuesday night I will be sitting at the bell center watching the first pre-season game, GAWD LET THIS BEGIN!

Edit: Dryden and Savard will have their jersey retired this year so number 18 and 29 are now gone for the Habs, soon they won't have any numbers left to play with :lol

calder

Man, nothing like a bat-shit crazy signing (and an offer sheet!) to get me pumped for training camps. Just spent an hour or so pre-ranking my top 175 for the yahoo draft, the GAF one is going to be a fair bit deeper than any other one I'll be in so it'll be good to have a long list. Now I just need to check it every few days for a couple of minutes and make changes based on guys ****ing off to russia for the year or signing and showing up at camp and stuff like that. The training camp scrim lines for a few teams are going to be pretty interesting too... of course I'll get all excited and latch onto another Bochenski this year but oh well.

Bob McKenzie

9/12/2006 6:43:35 PM

There isn't anyone in the NHL who isn't talking about Rick DiPietro's 15-year, $67.5 million contract and you should hear what they're saying about it. Or more precisely, what they're saying about the man who engineered it, Islander owner Charles Wang.

It's absolutely mind boggling.

DiPietro is a good NHL goalie who still has a chance to be a great one, but giving a goalie who turns 25 next week a 15-year deal, well, it just isn't done. This contract, outlandish as it may be, won't hamstring the franchise as badly as Alexei Yashin's 10-year deal, but it is symptomatic of an NHL club that is, at best, non-traditonal, and at worst, totally dysfunctional.

Make no mistake, this was a Charles Wang production from start to finish. Neophyte GM Garth Snow was only along for the ride.

An Islander source said Wang insisted on negotiating the deal directly with DiPietro, bypassing the goalie's agents. DiPietro's father was part of negotiations, apparently as a safeguard for the goalie, and DiPietro's agents were left to counsel from afar, providing their input behind the scenes.

Deposed Islander GM Neil Smith was never going to last in the Wang regime, but there is every reason to believe the timing of his dismissal was directly related to DiPietro's contract talks. Which is to suggest, Islander business gets done Wang's way or it's the highway.

The point is, this is not how it's done. This is not how successful hockey organizations do business. So either Wang is a visionary who is smarter than the rest of the NHL or he's…

Well, suffice to say what judgments are being reached throughout the league today.
lol

Joe

i went to one of the first home games after kumar and wang bought the team. they started walking around the coliseum shaking the fans hands and people were going crazy. things were finally gonna start looking good.

then kumar goes to prison and now wang signs an average goalie to a 15 year contract.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
TemplaerDude said:
NHL '07 for the 360 is AMAZING. Never though I'd say it about a EA game but it's true. Get it hockey fans.
general consensus seems to be: if you want awesome goals go with 07, if you want a damn good hockey game, go with 2k7. 2k for me

sefskillz said:
general consensus seems to be: if you want awesome goals go with 07, if you want a damn good hockey game, go with 2k7. 2k for me

As much as I want to agree since I've been bashing EA since 1994, I can't. I encourage anyone with a 360 to get 07. EA fired the right guys, the game is no longer an arcade rush. There is an actual offence and defence, and the skill stick adds LAYERS to the gameplay. It's an amazing game so far.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Cold-Steel said:
great. no really.

TemplaerDude said:
As much as I want to agree since I've been bashing EA since 1994, I can't. I encourage anyone with a 360 to get 07. EA fired the right guys, the game is no longer an arcade rush. There is an actual offence and defence, and the skill stick adds LAYERS to the gameplay. It's an amazing game so far.
I really want to check out 07, but I'll wait for a price drop. Loved the 2k7 demo, the defensive pressure system, online leagues and the cinemotion camera. 07's offensive take sounds great, but everything else is more of the same from what I've read... I'll take my chances I guess.

Kingpen

I think I have resigned myself to pick up both titles for the 360... Should be an interesting experiment for me as I have never picked up two sports games of the same sport at full price... I expect EA's game to be my Hitz type of game, and more of a fool around and have fun type of game. NHL2k will be my sim version, and online version....

djkimothy

The Internet said:

I can see how these offer sheets can ruin the league.

Tell me about it. Every 10 goal scorer now is going to ask for 2 million a year. WTF? Bob Clark single handedly screwed tghe NHL.

dem

Clarke goes on offensive defending offer

TSN.ca Staff

9/13/2006 1:35:35 PM

For all the NHL general managers, or anyone else for that matter, who are enraged over the Philadelphia Flyers' offer sheet to Vancouver's Ryan Kesler, Flyer GM Bob Clarke has a message:

"I don't give a (expletive deleted) if nobody likes me, I could care less," Clarke told TSN. "But they shouldn't be getting mad at me, I didn't put the (offer sheet) rule in the collective bargaining agreement. If they're mad, they should call Gary Bettman and complain to him. Get mad at Gary Bettman. He's in charge of the rules, not me. I didn't realize there were some rules we're not allowed to use."

Clarke said he knew when he extended the one-year, $1.9 million offer sheet to the 22-year-old Kesler, a 10-goal scorer last season who was on the verge of re-signing for half that much with the Canucks, that he would incur the wrath of his brethren.

Too bad, Clarke said.

"I'm trying to make my team better," Clarke said. "There's a rule that says we can put out offer sheets. So I did it. You know, it's funny, they made new rules so we're operating in a system where we all get to spend the same amount of money. Philadelphia and Detroit can't spend any more than Nashville or Anaheim. Those are the rules. We all live by them. No one can accuse Philadelphia or Detroit of spending more money than everyone else now. But when I go and use a rule that is there, everybody is all over me about it."

And Clarke was just getting warmed up.

"To me, our thinking is completely backward," Clarke said. "I lost Kim Johnsson to (unrestricted) free agency because the Minnesota Wild gave him $4.8 million. Well, the Flyers had to give (revenue sharing) money to Minnesota and other teams and I don't like that but it's the rules. And then Minnesota takes that money and signs my player and there are no rules to say I can keep him if I match. I wish I had all the options with Kim Johnsson that Vancouver has with Kesler. They can match and keep him or they can let him go. It's up to them."

As for those who suggest Clarke should not have tendered the offer sheet because Vancouver will match and the market value for 22-year-old, 10-goal scorers will be inflated, Clark took umbrage with that.

"Sure, in the old system, teams always matched offer sheets but this is a new system with a salary cap and you have to make hard decisions that affect your team not just for this year but the years to come, too," Clarke said. "I don't know that Vancouver will match. Maybe we get the player. That's the idea. It's a few days to training camp, the player wasn't signed and we have a need for that type of player in our organization. Why wouldn't I try it? Everyone says it's causing salaries to go up. That's crap. We've all got salary caps and if it is true it drives up salaries, well, doesn't Boston signing (Zdeno) Chara to a $7 million deal or Chicago signing (Martin) Havlat to a $6 million deal drive up salaries, too? Give me a break.

"A lot of guys in this league like the rules when it suits them and they don't like them when it doesn't. Too bad for them. I'm just playing by the rules that are there. To be honest, I'm surprised more teams aren't doing it.”

So at lunch I was walking through Yorkville and I saw Nik Antropov walking with a short older fat dude, maybe his agent. My co-worker knows I'm a joker so I run right up to Antropov and extend my hand:

"Nik, **** man. You are my favourite Leaf. You rule man. If they ever trade you I swear I'll quit loving the Leafs. You are faster than Bure ever was. Keep up the good work Nik".....

Antropov: <pause> "Thank you...my friend"......

negitoro7

A part of me says this prick Clarke, needs to get his ass kicked and that I'm ashamed as a Canadian that he played for our national team.
But the other part of me says, holy shit this guy is awesome.

dem said:
Whats with the Anson Carter hate? He's not THAT bad. He's certainly a 2 mil guy.

Unless Columbus has two play makers like the Sedins, he isn't worth much more than 1.5. Carter isn't an individual talent, he's a garbage man. Set it up - shove it in Carter.

dem

TemplaerDude said:
Unless Columbus has two play makers like the Sedins, he isn't worth much more than 1.5. Carter isn't an individual talent, he's a garbage man. Set it up - shove it in Carter.

Sure... sure. Like the Sedins are some kinda amazing generational talent. Theyre the new Peter Forsberg x2.

He got 28 and 25 goals playing with Mike Comrie. I think he'll do alright with Sergei Federov :lol

Fact is he CAN score goals... and not everyone can.

Reilly

TemplaerDude said:

I'll take Anson Carter over Taylor Pyatt :lol

Wolf

GO HABS GO
dem said:
For all the NHL general managers, or anyone else for that matter, who are enraged over the Philadelphia Flyers' offer sheet to Vancouver's Ryan Kesler, Flyer GM Bob Clarke has a message:

"I don't give a **** if nobody likes me, I could care less"

All I can picture is Clarke yelling that comment into the reporter's ears followed by a spit in the face and a stone cold stunner.

The Internet said:
Is $1.9 million for Kesler deserving?
No, but the Canucks didn't offer that contract. They were offering around 850k for two years.

dem said:
Sure... sure. Like the Sedins are some kinda amazing generational
talent.
Uh, they actually are. There's a reason they were the #2 and #3 first round picks the year they were drafted. They were also the main reason Carter had a career year. Anyone who watched the Canucks can tell you that.

He got 28 and 25 goals playing with Mike Comrie. I think he'll do alright with Sergei Federov :lol
And he got 15 goals playing on 3 different teams last year. Comrie was, you know, good back when Carter was on the Oilers.

Fact is he CAN score goals... and not everyone can.
No one's questioning Carter's finish. He can score goals. It's just uncertain if he can generate them.

Reilly said:
I'll take Anson Carter over Taylor Pyatt :lol
We're not paying Taylor Pyatt 2.5 million dollars.

dem

Mike Works said:
Uh, they actually are. There's a reason they were the #2 and #3 first round picks the year they were drafted. They were also the main reason Carter had a career year. Anyone who watched the Canucks can tell you that.

He got just as many points on the Oilers playing 13 less games with Mike Comrie. Not to mention that was during the "dead puck" era. Is Mike Comrie a once in a generation talent?? :lol
Theyre decent first line/really good second line players.. theyre not Peter Forsberg or Joe Sakic. Quoting their draft position as if it means anything is laughable. Patrik Stefan was drafted ahead of them.. what a superstar.

Peter Forsberg makes Gagne a 47 goal scorer. Joe Thornton makes Cheechoo a 56 goal man. Getting Anson Carter to score 30 goals is hardly some big feat.

calder

Mike Works said:
Uh, they actually are. There's a reason they were the #2 and #3 first round picks the year they were drafted.
Unless we have wildly differing definitions for "generational talent" no, just no. No freaking way. The Sedins are very good players and were high draft picks in a very weak draft year, but that's about all you can say for them so far.

royale

wouldn't that be considered "high-sticking" doing that lacrosse-type trick? would it count if it were really done in a game or is it legit 'cause he doesn't really bat it out of the air?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Ferguson met with a number of interested parties last night to discuss the proposed four-pad arena slated to be built near Lakeshore Lions Arena.

"I talked with representatives of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Hockey Canada, Lakeshore Lions representatives and some of the politicians involved," he said. "We are attempting to get this process completed as quickly as possible."

The intended occupants of the building include the Leafs and Marlies,the Hockey Hall of Fame and Hockey Canada. It was hoped the facility would be ready for the Leafs' 2007 training camp but that date likely has been pushed back a year.

wtf! the new faustina arena is going to have the hockey hall of fame? or is that just going to be the head staff of the hhof? this area would lead to minimal exposure for the hall of fame if they move it from downtown

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
dem said:
http://tsn.ca/audio_video/player/video.asp?reel=26861

Check out the Rob Schremp clip on that page..

Tries some crazy ass shit in some shootout last night.

Was at that game last night, it was pretty damn impressive. The goal the UofA dude scored after was also damn impressive. It's in the TSN clip before they showed Schremp's attempt but the TSN guys make no mention of it.

Anyways the Oiler rookies played an entertaining goal.. Schremp scored a goal in the game just like how highlight video shows him score all his goals. Opened himself in the slot and buried it with a quick shot.

Mikhnov played okay, he used his size and hands to get in deep and have soem scoring oppurtunities but it did'nt look like he had much finish in front of the net. Also he played with like zero intensity whereas Schremp played like he was on speed or soemthing.

I really don't think Mikhnov will make a dent in the NHL this year, Schremp has a chance.

Hitman said:
Anyways the Oiler rookies played an entertaining goal.. Schremp scored a goal in the game just like how highlight video shows him score all his goals. Opened himself in the slot and buried it with a quick shot.

Mikhnov played okay, he used his size and hands to get in deep and have soem scoring oppurtunities but it did'nt look like he had much finish in front of the net. Also he played with like zero intensity whereas Schremp played like he was on speed or soemthing.

I really don't think Mikhnov will make a dent in the NHL this year, Schremp has a chance.

I'm heading to Grande Prairie from Calgary tonite just to catch the Oilers training camp. This Mikhnov guy was hyped for weeks prior to the Rookie Camp, but it has seemed to have died down.

I'm really excited to see Robbie Schremp now, just to see how he handles himself in a scrimmage with NHL calibre players.

Kingpen

HELL YEAH

I scored tickets for my dad and wife for 4 games in a row for the Penguins....
Jan 27th in Phoenix (close to me)
Jan 30th in Pittsburgh (against Florida)
Feb 1st in Pittsburgh (against Montreal)
Feb 3rd in Pittsburgh (against Washington)

I'm pumped as I got tickets in the next best section other then the lower glass section, and I got them all on the end that the pens shoot at 2 times!

Hell YEAH

Also, NHL2k7 360 is the bomb

VALIS

As much as I despise Bobby Clarke, he's right. Legal is legal. What's the point of allowing teams to make offers on RFAs if nobody does?

dem

sabres2gd6.png

Barrage

dem said:
. Patrik Stefan was drafted ahead of them.. what a superstar.

That's the smartest thing you've said in years. Now hurry and pick up your Stefan jerseys people, THEY'RE SELLING LIKE HOTCAKES!*

*"Hotcakes" may or may not mean "shit".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom