• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PC/PS3 Unreal Tournament 3 Thread. GODLIKE

Xdrive05

I think I'll hold off on this one at least for now. What I would LIKE for them to do would be a retread a'la UT2K4, where they make a "new" game (call it UT3.5/UT2K8 or whatever), include all the maps plus a bunch of new ones, and give it a more PC-centric interface.

From the demo, it feels like a console fragger shoehorned onto the PC, at least with the interface. Compare this to the UT2k4 interface, and how you access everything from the mutators to the map filters, to see my point.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The game actually runs really well on my PC. I'm surprised. The installation program was very slow for some reason, though. :\

slade

I've read that it's actually a single player campaign with a story atttached to it. Haven't read anything about how long it is though.

Yeah there's a trailer for it. It actually surprised me. Only because it hints at cutscenes even being used at all; so surprised relative to UT rather than FPS in general. I still doubt it'll really have much story. A few cutscenes and a basic plot that gives us a reason to blow shit up. Which is still much more than I would of bet on though.

Spin

It's great that PS3 gamers can play UT3. I always wanted to have UT games but my PC couldn't run them. This is going to be one hell of a Christmas holyday!

I'm curious what everyone's impressions are so far. I won't be back to my comp until sunday, so one thing I'm wondering about is in the Beta the performance on ShangriLa was considerably lower than other maps. Are most maps closer to that in terms of performance or do they tend to perform more similarly to the other two maps in the beta?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
_leech_ said:
Is the single-player campaign actually a single player campaign, or is it just offline multiplayer with bots?

So far (and I haven't got far), the singleplayer portion consists of random deathmatches (with various settings) and cutscenes in between each level that tell a really lame story. The AI on the bots is pretty good, though and I think I'll play through the entire SP campaign before I go on to MP.

The single-player is pretty much multiplayer with bots + cutscenes. It's "bad," but it's more like b-movie kinda cheese. A lot of wink-wink-*nudge*-*nudge*. Most obvious, the "FLaG."

But yeah, I wouldn't base my purchase around it.

"I'm curious what everyone's impressions are so far. I won't be back to my comp until sunday, so one thing I'm wondering about is in the Beta the performance on ShangriLa was considerably lower than other maps. Are most maps closer to that in terms of performance or do they tend to perform more similarly to the other two maps in the beta?"

Varies. I'd say in general the Warfare maps (for obvious reasons) perform worse than ShangriLa, but not significantly.

Teknopathetic said:
The single-player is pretty much multiplayer with bots + cutscenes. It's "bad," but it's more like b-movie kinda cheese. A lot of wink-wink-*nudge*-*nudge*. Most obvious, the "FLaG."

But yeah, I wouldn't base my purchase around it.

"I'm curious what everyone's impressions are so far. I won't be back to my comp until sunday, so one thing I'm wondering about is in the Beta the performance on ShangriLa was considerably lower than other maps. Are most maps closer to that in terms of performance or do they tend to perform more similarly to the other two maps in the beta?"

Varies. I'd say in general the Warfare maps (for obvious reasons) perform worse than ShangriLa, but not significantly.
Bummer, though I'm not surprised. Unfortunately I'm waiting until the new high end cards drop (Feb? Right?) before upgrading, so I'll be getting some sketch framerates for awhile(atleast by UT standards). Oh well, you guys gonna be playing sunday evening you think? I haven't been in the steam chatroom in forever it seems (too much schoolwork and TF2 didn't grab me the same way it did everyone else), do people still meet there?

Assuming enough people are interested when the event toast pops up, the chatroom will usually get a couple people. That said, you don't need a super high-end card to run the game at 60fps steady. 8800GTS/GT + dual-core = 60fps at max settings. Or even a ATi HD3870. Of course if you don't mind your framerates/settings and want to wait to upgrade that's cool too.

Teknopathetic said:
Assuming enough people are interested when the event toast pops up, the chatroom will usually get a couple people. That said, you don't need a super high-end card to run the game at 60fps steady. 8800GTS/GT + dual-core = 60fps at max settings. Or even a ATi HD3870. Of course if you don't mind your framerates/settings and want to wait to upgrade that's cool too.

Yeah, I'm running a 512mb x1900xt @xtx speeds, so I'm not doing too bad, I'm just used to playing UT at 60fps locked at max res with max aa etc. Bit of a shift for me. I suspect the new high end cards shouldn't have much problem doing that with reasonable AA levels, so I'm waiting for those.

Borys

Banned
m0dus said:
Ok. messed around with forced settings. 8x anisotropic filtering + 4x AA + V-sync and intense post-proc @ 1680 x 1050 with all sliders maxxed out, with a framerate usually staying around 59-60, with occasional dips into the 50's in heated battles. The game looks VERY nice.

Amazing performance, did you buy a new PC by any chance m0dus?

Also, here are impressions from Rage3D:

the problems with this game, lets start with dm

the maps are very poorly designed, the only decent dm map is heatray, all the rest are pretty terrible for competitive play. the game is way too spammy, the flak spread is way too wide while still doing full damage at range. rockets are too easy to use now, the splash damage is way too big. the hitboxes for the characters are bigger when using rockets flak and minigun than when using shock rifle or sniper. the hitscan is still broken, u still have to lead shots even when playing single player. u cant actually aim at the enemy u have to aim about half a second in whichever direction he is moving. its only worse when u add in the lag on multiplayer because the netcode is so bad. if u want to fire the flak secondary forward and not up u have to literally aim it at the ground because it fires at a near 90 degree angle straight up out of your gun. u get stuck on nearly every object in the maps. game is full of sticky polygons and it can be tricky to get urself unstuck in the heat of battle. sound code is broken, enabling hardware openal causes constant random crashes, and with it off you dont get 3d sound, so any sounds behind u dont get played so your effectively blind in that regard.

with all these problems with the core aspects of dm, any other mode wont be enjoyable. at the heart of every shooter if the dm gameplay isnt done right, adding any number of vehicles or twists wont make it fun. the dm element has to be the primary design point of a fps. also the vehicles are way over powered now, mostly because the shock rifle has lost all its stopping power and hitscan is broken.

as for the graphics it rly isnt much more advanced than ut2k4. u have the base textures which are usually very low res with a somewhat higher res bump map tetxure applied over it. the lighting is pretty much all prebaked simple light maps, theres not rly much realtime lighting here. the poly counts are also pretty low, and the shadows are mostly non existent except for the characters and vehicles. and those are pretty low res shadows with lots of pixelization, especially the self shadows.

Is the graphics part true? Can anybody here (m0dus or MickeyKnox would be welcome) post some eye-candy shots from the retail version?

dark10x said:
The game actually runs really well on my PC. I'm surprised. The installation program was very slow for some reason, though. :\

Why is that surprising?

You know I'm really starting to think that UE3.0 engine is just pretty damn fast and scalable on PCs (like Quake 3 engine) or that recent PCs are just too overpowered for it.

Dina

I have a X1950XT and the game runs very smooth (no noticable fps drops at all) on 1280x1024 with texture quality on 4 and world on 3. The only hiccups I experience is when the new level is loading and the speech of Reaper gets interrupted. Hardly a nuisance.

Apart from that, yes SP is basically map + bots and some very weird storyline and dialogue. 'Sinkhole?? more like Stinkhole!' and the likes. Playing TDM or CTF when two sides are at war seems just wrong.
same goes for blasting your sister to smithereens in the tutorial

But it's all very minor. UT3 plays like UT99 and less like the 2K iterations, which is a good thing in probably everyone's book. I don't really care much for Warfare since it reminds me of Onslaught in the 2K series, but CTF and especially iCTF is as hot as ever.

Oh and CTF-Hydro & CTF-Coret are back. That is probably enough reason for UT99 adepts.

dark10x

Why is that surprising?

You know I'm really starting to think that UE3.0 engine is just pretty damn fast and scalable on PCs (like Quake 3 engine) or that recent PCs are just too overpowered for it.
My PC isn't exactly top of the line, that's why (though I should have expected it to work since Crysis runs fine at medium settings). :p I actually ran the demo at maximum quality settings at 720p. Looks fantastic on my Pioneer.

I love UE3, though. It's a brilliant performer on all hardware and produces fantastic results. There's something about its lighting and general look that just feels incredible. I think the engine has much more potential than we've seen in UT3, however. The game was optimized as a multiplayer experience and I'm sure they didn't want to push the engine to its limits for that reason. Hopefully they release Mass Effect on the PC in the future as the game is incredible looking (and would benefit from a smoother framerate and no texture pop-in).

I tried UT3 on two PCs yesterday, actually. I was visiting my family for Thanksgiving and my younger sister is a huge UT fan. Surprisingly, it ran decently well on her PC at Texture Detail 4 and World Detail 3. She's using a Pentium 4 HT + Radeon 9700 Pro (my old PC from a few years ago). We had to use a lower resolution, though. It runs nearly as well as the Source engine on that PC. Speaking of Source, that's a pretty crap engine next to UE3.

CTLance

Borys said:
Also, here are impressions from Rage3D:
[...]
Oh god. Can someone please translate this into english for me? All that shorthand SMS speak is getting to me. Seriously, how can someone expect to be taken seriously if he types like that?

Anyway, I'll shut up now. Sorry for ranting /derailing.

Sanjay

16x af + 4x AA at 1920 x 1080 with all sliders maxed out, got fps at usually staying around 30-45, game did not run or feel smooth like when i play at 60fps which i get without the added 4x AA.

I build my PCs too... recently upgraded my 8800 gts to gt, my cpu is dual core at 3.4ghz with 2 gb's onboard.

looks like quad core really is making a performance difference for ut3?

i have noticed that ut3 does infact use both cores at 100%, which is the first game to do so yet i think?

ok now back to playing the so called "campaign" readying my self for the neogaf ut3 steam events hopefully!

"Oh god. Can someone please translate this into english for me? All that shorthand SMS speak is getting to me. Seriously, how can someone expect to be taken seriously if he types like that?

Anyway, I'll shut up now. Sorry for ranting /derailing."

Eh, it's just some not-so-subtle trolling from Borys. Those impressions are pretty off all around.

LOcKY

i have to agree with an earlier post that the UI is giving me the vibe of a console crappy interface.

Also on top of that its crashing is beyond a joke now, people have already posted threads in the epic forums but no one from the tech support is helping.

Of course they can probably say have you installed the latest drivers and blah blah but nothing at all.

I would advise people to STEER clear from the PC version until its sorted out because at the moment its so frustrating to even get the game to run.

my guess is they really diverted resources onto the console version since they can probably say ahh fk it will patch it when we get the time.

Also i was really looking forward to the music and WTF no music player? cant even listen to the sound track unlike UT2k4.

i guess at the moment im very very disappointed at the moment until they can sort this nonsense out, it really should have gotten delayed until these major problems are sorted out.

"I would advise people to STEER clear from the PC version until its sorted out because at the moment its so frustrating to even get the game to run."

Works flawlessly here. Furthermore, they've already released patch notes for the next patch (and the beta of it is actually floating around) and it's flipping massive, not lending much credence to the whole "ahh fuck it" assumption.

"'I would advise people to STEER clear from the PC version until its sorted out because at the moment its so frustrating to even get the game to run.'

Works flawlessly here. Furthermore, they've already released patch notes for the next patch (and the beta of it is actually floating around) and it's flipping massive, not lending much credence to the whole "ahh fuck it" assumption."

Just wanted to agree with what Tekno said. I've installed it on three different computers and have had zero issues with the game. There are no bugs that I have encountered and the UI isn't some travesty where I could agree that you should "STEER clear" of a game this good on the pc. And besides they've been patching it so that any problems that people have been having are addressed, I can't understand where you can fault them.

"I have a question, I want to swap the primary fire and secondary fire of the rocket launcher. Don't know how :)"

No can do. Remapping primary and secondary fire does so for all weapons.

CAVE343

Teknopathetic said:
"I have a question, I want to swap the primary fire and secondary fire of the rocket launcher. Don't know how :)"

No can do. Remapping primary and secondary fire does so for all weapons.

:-( I remember that it was possible in UT2k4, maybe I did it in the .ini file.
Wish they never changed the primary and secondary fire of the rocketlauncher.

bee

well i got it and playing on 1.1 servers, 1st full ut game ive ever played only played the demos before, pure quake for me.

seems ok but i'll be a lot happier when i have a proper config and some brightskins, but already i can say fuck instagib and fuck vehicle bullshit modes just gimme the proper ctf,tdm,duel modes and maybe even tam and some good irc pickup channels and online leagues.

off to learn the maps and this damn translocator.

European pickup IRC channels seem to be on Quakenet, American on GameRadius.

In pseudo-related news, it appears some UK dudes are having a 1v1 on some UK Digital TV channel in like 8 minutes on Deck (Yay), Sentinel (yay), and Heatray (ehhhh). Videos for non-UKers afterwards on some website.

RavenFox

Banned
51801piTYKL._SS400_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000V1OUVI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Okay Im in.

Sean*O

Picked the game up today but have not been able to get it running. Problems start right away as the intro cinemas freeze and audio skips periodically. Then the game continues to freeze every 10 seconds or so while surfing the options menu, then it finally crashes to the desktop.

I have updated to the latest ATI drivers (after having no luck with the previous revision) and my system should be able to handle it (Opteron dual core @2.6, 2GIG, ATI X1800XT 512, MOTU 828MKII)

I sure would like to play this game, but it's looking like I spent $50 to shelf it until Epic provides a fix. I have checked into the UT3 forums and if you read the troubleshooting area there you will see that there are tons of people having the same problem, all with varying system hardware configurations and running both Vista and XP.

Borys

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
Eh, it's just some not-so-subtle trolling from Borys. Those impressions are pretty off all around.

Why would I troll a PC game ???

Really now, get off my back tre.

acabado

Banned
It seems that UT3 will suffer of limited quantities at first shipments.

Unreal Tournament PS3 shipping in 'limited quantities' Dec. 10

Despite initial doubts, Midway has confirmed that the PlayStation 3 version of first-person twitchfest, Unreal Tournament III, will begin shipping to North American stores on December 10th, with "limited quantities" leaping onto shelves the following day. Initial supply has no doubt been hampered due to Epic's last-minute (some say miraculous) completion of the game, not to mention the fact that Bob the disc burner wanted to go on vacation like yesterday.

In case you missed it during the Thanksgiving avalanche, Unreal Tournament III is already available for the "personal computer."

http://www.ulta.com.*******.com/200...nt-ps3-shipping-in-limited-quantities-dec-10/

Cheeto

Teknopathetic said:
Yes, those impressions are way off all around, with the exception of the hitscan complaint. There is a serious problem there, it makes IG unplayable.

satori

I am at work so can't really spend too much time searching, so I come and ask... KB and mouse support for the ps3 version?

Please say yes wah...

h3ro

satori said:
I am at work so can't really spend too much time searching, so I come and ask... KB and mouse support for the ps3 version?

Please say yes wah...

Yeah man, full KB/M support... and before you ask, yes PS3 supports Mods as well...

satori

h3ro said:
Yeah man, full KB/M support... and before you ask, yes PS3 supports Mods as well...

Sweet, thanks for the conformation. Ya I knew mods were coming to the ps3 version. I kinda went over board with black friday sales, so I better go pay for this game in full before the Repo man come a knockin...

Dyno

I heard the PC version was a tad buggy and less than fully polished. Do you think that would carry over the PS3 version or might those things (if true) be caught and fixed?

dark10x

I can't imagine it being more limited than the PC release. Most stores around here received between 1 and 2 copies per location. :\

"Yes, those impressions are way off all around, with the exception of the hitscan complaint. There is a serious problem there, it makes IG unplayable."

Eh, I haven't noticed anything wrong with hitscan, besides the fact that maps are designed way differently making hitscan more difficult than it was in UT2k4 where it ruled the roost.

Cheeto

Teknopathetic said:
"Yes, those impressions are way off all around, with the exception of the hitscan complaint. There is a serious problem there, it makes IG unplayable."

Eh, I haven't noticed anything wrong with hitscan, besides the fact that maps are designed way differently making hitscan more difficult than it was in UT2k4 where it ruled the roost.
I don't it's the maps and I might have my definition crossed in regards to 'Hitscan', but the moment between when you hit fire and when a shot is actually fired or a hit is registered is way to long even in Singleplayer. Which leads me to believe it's not a network issue, but something gameplay related.

Synless

Went and pre-ordered it to make sure that I get it day and date without any problems, I can't wait for this!!!!!!

Top Bottom