• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official: Shenmue Online

Mason

:O

:O

This is the best video game news I've heard in a loooong time.

And beta testing starts in November!?!

*dies*

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
But what console? And who's this Korean company? I have a feeling this is gonna be a shitty PC Korean game...

30 billion korean = usd?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
5759_559_tears_of_joy_mid.jpg

jarrod

Banned
Hmm... so what if Shenmue Online and Phantasy Star Universe both skip consoles entirely in favor of PC? Bloodshed?

neo2046

Wario64 said:
But what console? And who's this Korean company? I have a feeling this is gonna be a shitty PC Korean game...

30 billion korean = usd?
console?
the game should be for PC

and the beta test in Nov is internal
beta test for public will be started next year

Xellos

olimario said:
It has create a character and clans.
Heres a screen of a clan in the beta
sailors.jpg

LMAO

And hooray for more Shenmue, although what an online, multiplayer Shenmue will be like is anyone's guess. Could be anything from a BEU to a tournament fighter to something like Animal Crossing with sailors. Hopefully it'll have an offline game as well to wrap up the series.

Wario64 said:

30 billion korean = usd?

About 34 Mil USD according to Yahoo currency converter.

Nearly $26 million budget, good GOD, this shit's for REAL. No fucking cell phone games or GBA shit or something else. Ok, I wanted Shenmue 3, but if they're going to spend this kind of money then they're probably going to have some kind of finish for the story. I mean, that goes without saying. Right?

Where's Drinky Crow when you need him?

In Hell.

To put things into perspective, I found this article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A63734-2004Apr9?language=printer

And Robbie Bach, Microsoft's head gaming executive said "that the cost of producing AAA games -- the top-quality titles -- would expand dramatically. As it stands, he said, a AAA game runs $5 million to $10 million a title, and 'we run the risk of that cost going up.'"

Oh sweet Shenmue, you are back. Who knew it would be Koreans who would swoop in and save the day by giving Digital Rex the money they need. Fuck Sammy and to hell with their little dog too.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Matlock:
Where's Drinky Crow when you need him?
Probably eating crow, after continually haunting topics concerning the prospect of a new Shenmue with comments like:

"Haha, there'll never be a sequel to AM2's greatest turd series.

HA HA!"

... or sleeping.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: a new Shenmue game is like a license to print anti-money. I don't care how awesome it might be - Sega's never going to make its $26 million back. Sigh.

Meier

50 bucks says most of the people in this thread will never play it (if it gets an American release) or have never played an MMORPG before. Translating a series like Shenmue to an MMORPG is going to SUCK. The only thing it could possibly be is a poor man's City of Heroes or something.. and if you want to go around doing missions, just make a Ryu character in that.

Top Bottom